Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

Pro Tips: The _Serato_ Folder

9:24 PM, 15 Feb 2015
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
flacoj 3:19 AM - 16 February, 2015
dosen't itunes do that?
DJ Andre Marchezini 6:07 PM - 17 February, 2015
Legal! Mas os arquivos de músicas ficam nesta pasta ou será transferido para a pasta que separo os estilos musicais?
DJ Andre Marchezini 6:07 PM - 17 February, 2015
Cool! But the music files are in this folder or will be transferred to the folder that I separate musical styles?
Youngtee 4:48 AM - 18 February, 2015
Wow awesome this is a great tip
LM 12:01 PM - 18 February, 2015
Total waste of time as you still have to go the extra step and transfer the file to the proper folder in which you keep that particular genre of music, how about working on the daytime mode for serato before the summer gets here LM.....
kwestyon 1:50 AM - 19 February, 2015
Can the file be moved to work on an external drive?
nickyb2k189 1:50 AM - 20 February, 2015
Can you relocate the "auto import" folder to a secondary drive? I like to keep all my music on a separate drive I installed in my optical disc spot and don't need to organize it. Just need it in one folder.
owenbizzle 3:45 AM - 20 February, 2015
why can't you just select auto import folders on a interface in the software so serato looks in those folders every time you load!! i use an external hdd so this is useless!!
DJ Moondancer 8:40 PM - 20 February, 2015
Does it also remove the files from your library if you delete or move them?
DJ HΛL 4:38 AM - 21 February, 2015
why not using regular folder browser - windows style - like for example in Virtual DJ, where you have no need to import, or organise playlists. You just browse folders and play. Main reason that I do not use Serato is browsing and crates - which with large library and constant new music is a mess to organize.
DJ Glenn McCrary 8:59 PM - 22 February, 2015
Interesting tip. I'll give it a go! :)
Killa Sounds 3:01 PM - 24 February, 2015
Decent idea if I just got a heap of music and didn't have time to organize
Joe Fresh 11:21 PM - 26 February, 2015
This is definitely helpful, especially to us DJs who don't use iTunes. However, I think more DJs would like to be able to set the location of the Auto Import folder to wherever they store and organize their music. Just a thought.
E11World 11:35 PM - 26 February, 2015
Not really all that helpful. I put my songs to folders for each genre/style of music and this won't help there at all.
Culprit 11:57 PM - 26 February, 2015
If more users request the feature, it could possibly get implemented.
Blaz3 12:38 AM - 27 February, 2015
This is a step fwd for shure. A refresh button for new tracks to show up without closing the software would be great. ns7 stop time knob needs more clicks or ticks of resolution. Still not as good as itch. Itch mic and line in vol is much louder then Serato dj. I'm hoping they fixed it in this version.
Dj*Matty*G 12:43 AM - 27 February, 2015
Quote:
Total waste of time as you still have to go the extra step and transfer the file to the proper folder in which you keep that particular genre of music, how about working on the daytime mode for serato before the summer gets here LM.....

DAYTIME MODE!!!
djallstyle 1:25 AM - 27 February, 2015
#DayTimeMode I think we should hashtag the brakes off of them!! They'll move then!!
Dj*Matty*G 1:37 AM - 27 February, 2015
I like it #daytimemode
DJ Rulis 1:49 AM - 27 February, 2015
DAYTIME MODE ITS A MUST!!
360MIX 1:57 AM - 27 February, 2015
Yes PLEASE add a DAYTIME MODE....
DJ TeeOh 3:17 AM - 27 February, 2015
Just use the browser mode or iTunes. Disappointed in this "feature". Could you guys make the timecode a higher frequency like 3kHz and issue a firmware update so everything will work with the new tone and increase tracking?

Also, reduce some of the background resources SDJ uses. 4GB is a serious load for most PCs, especially since most only come with 4GB. You are forcing users to spend more money just to use SDJ. Maybe add a tab to enable/disable certain features so the program isn't to memory hungry? (FLIP, SP6, record, etc.)

Perhaps the option to have secondary window that houses the Sp6, record, and Flip? That way I could have my main Serato screen spread out and less cluttered. All I would have to do is hit a button and it jumps to the 2nd page.
DJ TeeOh 3:20 AM - 27 February, 2015
Add different color options? Some people are color blind and may prefer black & white, black & yellow, blue & white, etc.

Can we have some spruced up decks? Perhaps ones that look like turntables or the controller being used?
DJ TeeOh 3:30 AM - 27 February, 2015
Please add an external video source input!

I run videos while DJing and 2 usb HD cameras. I usually open Quicktime and then switch between the feeds so people can see themselves on the screens and online viewers can see the action. Be great to have an optional plugin to run an external feed into Serato.
DJ Compiler 3:37 AM - 27 February, 2015
You can disable those in the setup page already.

Also as they've said in the interview below the frequency of the signal doesn't effect the tracking.
djtechtools.com

4 GB also seems really low to me. I run 16GB and RAM is usually upgradeable very easily if you find that you're lacking.
DJ Leon Cue 4:01 AM - 27 February, 2015
This is a total waste of time in my Opinion, why not have SDJ import all your music and videos from all media like virtual DJ does. I use a EHD and this does not make sorting files any easier, the worst ting about SDJ is creating and organizing your creates.
DJ TeeOh 4:25 AM - 27 February, 2015
Quote:
You can disable those in the setup page already.

Also as they've said in the interview below the frequency of the signal doesn't effect the tracking.
djtechtools.com

4 GB also seems really low to me. I run 16GB and RAM is usually upgradeable very easily if you find that you're lacking.

Not all of those can be disabled.

Well, Traktor has better accuracy and tracking by comparison. I'm all Serato but I've used Traktor before and for scratching it's on point.

4GB is low compared to 16GB, that's what I have but I had to upgrade from 8GB. And before that upgrade from 4GB. So, like I said, reducing loaded is a plus.
DJ TeeOh 4:30 AM - 27 February, 2015
And I just listed those as examples of things that can be disabled, I mean why not make it all more customizable. If someone doesn't want to show cue points or loops they could be able to remove them.
Soulomon 4:40 AM - 27 February, 2015
Indeed a complete waste of time..

Can't understand why not adding a function that sync crates to folders .

completely syncing everything and then each time Serato runs up it will locate all new files and add them automatically ..
So simple..
DJ Brother "O" 3:13 PM - 27 February, 2015
#daytimemode
djtouchytouchy 4:15 PM - 27 February, 2015
Uh, this feature goes wide
Calls to mind Watchwww.youtube.com
henryb 4:44 PM - 27 February, 2015
does in automatically analyze downloaded files, or do we have to do this manually from sdj?
Joe Fresh 8:47 PM - 27 February, 2015
Quote:
does in automatically analyze downloaded files, or do we have to do this manually from sdj?

It just adds the files to Serato DJ's library, you still need to analyze by clicking the Analyze Files button.
Pitt R 9:33 PM - 27 February, 2015
"why not using regular folder browser - windows style - like for example in Virtual DJ?" in my opinion Serato browser and Tracktor DJ browser, are designed very bad...I arrange my music on my hdd! Why do I need to organize it the second time in Serato browser? it's kind of stupid huh? Serato are wrong thinking that a DJ does not keep music organized, the browser is the most important part of a software dj !! most DJ software not take into account the browser so much, unfortunately.
Voyager529 12:20 AM - 28 February, 2015
Another echo here for being able to manually specify folders for auto import. No Excuses, Serato...my copy of Mixmeister 3, that came bundled with a Creative Sound Blaster Extigy that I bought in 2001, supported this function. It even generated "crates" based on folder structure, and it did all of this in 2001.

I've used Serato for about five years now, in spite of the obnoxious file management, not because of it. My music is in files and folders the way God intended. This Auto Import is a start. Now, let's get the next step and let the user pick which folders get auto imported.

Thanks so much!
dJcSc 2:51 AM - 28 February, 2015
It's almost as useless as it is right now.
Serato really needs an autoupdate per folder.
When you have your music organized you have several folders with different genres....
André Morro 1:18 PM - 28 February, 2015
Quote:
Legal! Mas os arquivos de músicas ficam nesta pasta ou será transferido para a pasta que separo os estilos musicais?

Os arquivos devem estar nesta pasta!
aries7444 5:50 AM - 7 March, 2015
So i am noticing that this auto import feature does not work with videos. Will there be a fix to this?
Pitt R 11:32 AM - 7 March, 2015
and not understand, what is good column denoted by #? does not understand the point, someone can explain to me?
DjWill 12:06 PM - 12 March, 2015
Hmmm! Interesting...
Dj Trickx 8:41 PM - 12 March, 2015
Not such a usefull feature though some djs may use it. Serato needs to develop and create an auto update feature for every folder. That way when a track is added to a folder that, it should auto scan and update the contents to a corresponding serato crate linked to that folder. Looking forward to that or just put an option to browse selected HDD folders on side browser. eg virtual dj allows that.
Culprit 10:56 PM - 12 March, 2015
I agree. I think it's time. An auto update feature that happens when you start up serato dj. I would move for a 1.7.5 feature. It's done in seconds with scratchtools, should be no problem to utilize a similar feature.

1) Start Serato DJ
2) Update Crates to add/remove tracks
3) Load Crates

and when you exit the program

4) Save Crates
5) Backup
Culprit 11:01 PM - 12 March, 2015
to be more detailed, lets look at how we can impliment this so it makes more sense.

1) Add a button similar to "smart crates" which points to a directory path you would like serato to "follow".
2) After the "follow" crate button is added and labeled, the crate will begin to populate with sub-crates linked to sub folders and files.

Q) What if the files I want to access are on an external drive?
A) if the "follow" crate is on an external drive, save a "serato" folder on the external drive so it will load up the "followed" crate with database on any machine.
Dj-C-los* 4:26 AM - 20 March, 2015
This update does not help me the slightest bit. Most DJS have all their music on a external hard drive or on their Computers hard drive. Regardless I organize all my music in Genre folders By year and weather or not they are Dirty or Clean Extended ETC... I agree with the comments above. Instead of working on something that isn't really needed a ****DAYTIME MODE**** Would be really appreciated and help me out a lot this summer.

Cheers, CLOS.
DJ_Esco 9:40 AM - 29 March, 2015
I use Mac and decided that I would go about it a sneaky way.

(Food for thought for Serato)

Allow a Shortcut (PC) or Alias (Mac) to be placed in the directory causing Serato DJ to scan the directed location for new tracks/files.

This way you can add a different location from that of the standard C:\____________________
Which is not where you would hold your gig on a thumb drive ( Most of us event DJ Prep our sets on or external USB sticks to be used one time or have other USB drives for crate digging.)

Just a suggestion.

Sincerely,

DJ Esco
DJ Len @ Funkytown 3:40 PM - 29 March, 2015
Just tried this for the first time and it doesn't work in the way I expected. It has created a new create for each album. I've got enough creates and don't need more! I just want the music adding to the database so I can find it again later.

Need to rethink this please.
Guvnor 9:26 AM - 12 April, 2015
#daytimemode
spookyprod 6:51 PM - 12 April, 2015
Quote:
Not such a usefull feature though some djs may use it. Serato needs to develop and create an auto update feature for every folder. That way when a track is added to a folder that, it should auto scan and update the contents to a corresponding serato crate linked to that folder. Looking forward to that or just put an option to browse selected HDD folders on side browser. eg virtual dj allows that.

Now were talking! shot fella!
DJ TeeOh 7:54 AM - 18 April, 2015
1. Multi-Sorting

Example: to be able to sort by BPM & by key, at the same time instead of one or the other.

2. Visual Key change

Some tracks have key changes. Perhaps add a color bar across the bottom of the waveform window that indicates key change. Mixed n Key does this and it helps tremendously with blends.

3. Daytime mode

4. Color change mode: maybe have 3 or 4 different color combinations? Some people are color blind so blue or green don't show well to them. Be nice to have a bit of color variation. Maybe a waveform color inversion option?
André Morro 10:30 PM - 18 May, 2015
Quote:
and not understand, what is good column denoted by #? does not understand the point, someone can explain to me?

# as I see, is the order you imported your music to the crates.

Also, if you use the Prapare function, # will show you the order things will play.
Quote:
I use Mac and decided that I would go about it a sneaky way.

(Food for thought for Serato)

Allow a Shortcut (PC) or Alias (Mac) to be placed in the directory causing Serato DJ to scan the directed location for new tracks/files.

This way you can add a different location from that of the standard C:\____________________
Which is not where you would hold your gig on a thumb drive ( Most of us event DJ Prep our sets on or external USB sticks to be used one time or have other USB drives for crate digging.)

Just a suggestion.

Sincerely,

DJ Esco

Hi There! In any *NIX systems, you can create hardlinks (shortcut and alias are softlinks). By using hardlinks you can force a shortcut to be seen as a folder. Doesn't have a MAC here, so don't know if it will work, in Linux do.

So... if you could try:
Erase the import folder.
Create a hardlink with the import folder name, pointing to your desired folder.

Should work.
ParisCreative 11:00 PM - 1 September, 2015
Seriously, with all the issues that came up with iTunes over the years, why in the hell has Serato NOT come up with even the most basic music management tools? It baffles me. This is Pro DJ software with it's genesis dating back almost 20 years ago. How has it not had basic music management structure built in?

Even if they developed a external tool to manage and sync. That would be so sweet.

I really would like to ditch iTunes. While it has been a ok management tool, it's way too bloated.
DJ TeeOh 3:42 AM - 2 September, 2015
Quote:
Seriously, with all the issues that came up with iTunes over the years, why in the hell has Serato NOT come up with even the most basic music management tools? It baffles me. This is Pro DJ software with it's genesis dating back almost 20 years ago. How has it not had basic music management structure built in?

Even if they developed a external tool to manage and sync. That would be so sweet.

I really would like to ditch iTunes. While it has been a ok management tool, it's way too bloated.

-It's not Serato that's the issue. It's the changes in iTunes.
-You can slim down the options you use in iTunes. Otherwise, it has all the features of every other music management program.
ParisCreative 3:43 AM - 2 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

-It's not Serato that's the issue. It's the changes in iTunes.
-You can slim down the options you use in iTunes. Otherwise, it has all the features of every other music management program.

I am talking about Serato having a true music management tool, independent of iTunes, in the first place. There is no reason that Serato has not made this a priority.
DJ_Esco 8:14 PM - 5 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

+1
Culprit 10:26 PM - 5 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1

+1
dJcSc 3:16 PM - 7 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1

+1

+1
ParisCreative 3:17 PM - 7 September, 2015
Need we add another +1? Indeed we do. Just this simple addition would solve a lot of mental aches.
dJcSc 3:36 PM - 7 September, 2015
So many... I still hope this will come someday... It's such a great software.
Maybe if you don't make an autoupdate meanwhile Serato is open, just update on the moment you open Serato. Because I think the main reason for Serato not to do this is stability. Constant checking and updating of folders could make the software less stable. So the solution I propose is to please make it at least whenever you open Serato. As it does with iTunes library but with folders in the computer.
ParisCreative 3:39 PM - 7 September, 2015
Since a dragged and dropped folder is a crate, they could add a function in with the crate's properties (like they do in a smart crate) that if it is a dragged and dropped folder to put a checkbox to update. Then you could do it two ways, on open/close, or a right click and update crate.
Pitt R 7:16 PM - 16 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1
DJ KLAXSIC 10:49 PM - 24 March, 2016
I like everybody suggestions and completely feel the same way, but my biggest question is...for this to be a professional software, I've spent more money staying up to date with this vs. paying the one time fee i paid for vdj and had everything available. Yes the quality of performance hands down serato, but I had way more leisure, control, and creativity on vdj for a fraction of the price...

All my music is on an external hd, soon as I added songs to my music folder and open up the program it automatically up dated. I could change my mapper with ease, and even change my skin......why must we beg for these options, they should already be included but just more advance, then the competitors. Not to mentions we have to pay for alterations to our setups to even be able to utilize it correctly....via extra ram or kicking out for a Mac. Whats really good with that? Don't get me wrong I love serato, but if i'm spending my hard earned money for something, i would like more options to chose from then whats currently available
ParisCreative 11:31 PM - 24 March, 2016
I think in the end Serato is trying to keep things minimal in the file management side either a) to keep the application lightweight or b) don't care about it. Given how bloated SDJ has gotten I can only imagine it's the latter.
ParisCreative 3:13 PM - 5 May, 2016
You know I pined for automatic updating but now with the way I have leveraged Serato to manage my music it not really needed.

Check out why I think that way: pariscreative.com
Gtaris 6:48 PM - 14 May, 2016
I would recommend a manual button to sync folders or only when no hardware is connected. This would allow us to start Serato quickly on the job and sync when needed.
+ off course the ability to choose what folders to sync, at the moment I use the old ITCH sync tool so the feature with a static "auto import" folder has no use to me.

Quote:
So many... I still hope this will come someday... It's such a great software.[b]
Maybe if you don't make an autoupdate meanwhile Serato is open, just update on the moment you open Serato. Because I think the main reason for Serato not to do this is stability. Constant checking and updating of folders could make the software less stable. So the solution I propose is to please make it at least whenever you open Serato. As it does with iTunes library but with folders in the computer.
dJcSc 8:01 PM - 14 May, 2016
Quote:
I would recommend a manual button to sync folders or only when no hardware is connected. This would allow us to start Serato quickly on the job and sync when needed.
+ off course the ability to choose what folders to sync, at the moment I use the old ITCH sync tool so the feature with a static "auto import" folder has no use to me.

Quote:
So many... I still hope this will come someday... It's such a great software.[b]

+1
Dj. Khemyxx 1:08 AM - 23 July, 2016
Had I known I was going to have to go through all this just to get my music folders to update & analyze automatically I would've stayed with Traktor.
With Traktor, I added music to my folders and when I opened the software, it added & analyzed the new tracks automatically without any issues.
How difficult is it for Serato to have the same thing?
pchak 9:12 PM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:
This is definitely helpful, especially to us DJs who don't use iTunes. However, I think more DJs would like to be able to set the location of the Auto Import folder to wherever they store and organize their music. Just a thought.

WHAT!!!! This still isn't a "Thing" in Serato? I was using PCDJ 10 years ago, and it did this.
Lio307 4:01 PM - 15 December, 2016
I also would like to see this.
Why not make a feature that will let us to Throw/Drag a Folder from Windows to Serato and this will create a Crate with the same name of the folder and will auto Analyze that folder.
And if this Folder already exist than this feature will update the crate and analyza the new songs
tobias.jungnickel 2:30 PM - 3 January, 2017
I like that you not just can put files directly in the Auto Import-folder that will be placed in a Last Imported-crate, but also putting folders with tracks that will be imported into crates with these folder name.
So it would be really great if also subfolders will be imported into subcrates to drag a multi-level folder structure into the Auto Import-folder and get a multi-level crate structure in Serato.
Lio307 7:36 PM - 26 June, 2017
Quote:
I like that you not just can put files directly in the Auto Import-folder that will be placed in a Last Imported-crate, but also putting folders with tracks that will be imported into crates with these folder name.
So it would be really great if also subfolders will be imported into subcrates to drag a multi-level folder structure into the Auto Import-folder and get a multi-level crate structure in Serato.

Yes this will save a lot of work when putting new Folders with Sub folders
DJ_Smokey 2:54 PM - 24 July, 2017
Can we have a feature where we can have a file explorer built in to the left pane where the crates are listed. I believe it's like that in Traktor and VDJ.

Therefore folders will be listed on the left pane and the files contained therein can be listed in the right pane.

This would be particularly useful and easier to navigate if we're looking for particular songs/new music that haven't been crated yet, or if a performer brings their music on a flash drive of external hard drive.