DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

why are files corupt in 1.5 final but not in 1.4

dj shadow from detroit 2:37 AM - 18 May, 2006
okay i dont understand i read 1.5 final you have to build overview's which is crazy (really i dont understand because you should not have to build overview's everytime a new version come's out)way to inconvienent
and also if i play file's in 1.4 with no problem's ever why would it show corupt in 1.5??
something is not right i have perfect file's in 1.4
and all of sudden there bad in 1.5 final.
i never had problem's with serato until now
i guess i have to go back to 1.4 until something is done.
no disrespect to anyone on the serato team i support all of you in everyway!
but im just being real and trying to help out!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 2:45 AM - 18 May, 2006
We hear you shadow. You should not have to go through rebuilding your overviews, and two different versions should behave the same way when it comes to bad files. Unfortunately, the two versions do respond differently to a given bad MP3 - it might play fine in 1.4 even though there is a problem with it, and crash 1.5. This is bad and we know it.

We are working on it. We made a lot of progress during 1.5 on eliminating the problem once and for all, so that you never need to worry about an MP3 crashing Scratch LIVE. However, some of the things we discovered were too risky to put in at the time we discovered them - they have to go into a future version, because they need to be tested very thoroughly.

If 1.5 is giving you a lot of grief, and you cant weed out all the bad MP3s, then going back to 1.4 is probably a good option. We will fix this problem, but we wont know if it is fixed until we build it, try it, test it, tweak it, test it, tweak it, test it, test it and test it some more.
dj shadow from detroit 2:57 AM - 18 May, 2006
i understand!
trust me nothing is perfect (serato is the closet to it)
i just wanna help and bring the problem's as soon as possible!
which i never had problem's until now.i guess 1.4 will work for awhile.
im sure the serato team will get this thing going!
thank you!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 3:28 AM - 18 May, 2006
we wont sleep .... except maybe on weekends ;)
diego vega 5:29 AM - 18 May, 2006
I always prefer and use (and wait until) the "odd numbered" updates :P (1.0, 1.2, 1.4, >1.6<) always the best (at least for me)
DJ Unique 5:38 AM - 18 May, 2006
You mean "even" numbered.
diego vega 5:48 AM - 18 May, 2006
duh ME! yeah haha edit function WHERE R U
DJ Unique 6:00 AM - 18 May, 2006
Hey your in Ecuador.
Go to sleep.

I DJ in a club in Los Angeles that is about 70% South American.
Mainly Colombianos, Ecuatorianos, Venzuelanos, Peruanos & Argentinos.
The other 30% is made up of Mexicans and Central Americans.
dj shadow from detroit 11:28 AM - 18 May, 2006
yea 1.4 is stable (almost perfect)
1.5 need's to have some fixe's
but i trust the serato team like alway's!
Dj KaGeN 3:03 PM - 18 May, 2006
On the REBUILD tip: I have started the process of hammering thru >10,000 FILES !!!! -- this is taking a long time, I feel like that damn baby egg experiment for parenting right now.. I'M BABYSITTING MY LAPTOP. I seatbelted it in for my drive to work this morning. (how cute). I have found that I have alot of locked files, are these still playable? I was clean except for like 5 songs, now my Lightning bolt family has grown significantly. What is the BEST PRACTICE to get these files in tip top shape for Serato to agree that they are OK, since they used to be OK??
Dj KaGeN 3:05 PM - 18 May, 2006
-- on a side note cand you have it play a BAD SONG or NOTE to inform me that it has STUCK on a file? why does it just sit there?
anewsome 3:16 PM - 18 May, 2006
I also had this problem with 1.5 when i first started using the betas. This is why I hung on to 1.4 so long. This is weird for me, since I rip all my own files, md5sum them, etc. However, now that 1.5 is final, I've overviewed about 2,000 songs (entire collection is 38,000) and not had it choke on any files yet. No lightning bolts! Preach on.
Dj KaGeN 3:25 PM - 18 May, 2006
I'm at a count of 30 lightning bolts and growing, most of this is music that I did not RIP or purchase myself. Damn, another pause - I NEED A BEEP to warn me!
dj shadow from detroit 4:22 PM - 18 May, 2006
to be honest this 1.5 final should of never been final!
there are more then 2 problem's that i know of
but i know the serato team can iron out these issue's

i been building overview's for 3 day's now and my computer has crashed atleast 6 time's on files that were perfect in 1.4.this is a problem a huge problem and the drop out's are big to.
im sticking with 1.4 and i will give atleast 3 legit reason's
1 all my mp3's will play
2 no drop out's
3 and i can run the program with low latency because the program does not drain my cpu for no reason!
believe me i want to use 1.5 because of all the xtra good's
but it is not worth it! (UNTIL IT IS FIXED)
DJ SHY 6:41 PM - 18 May, 2006
Quote:
to be honest this 1.5 final should of never been final!
there are more then 2 problem's that i know of
but i know the serato team can iron out these issue's

i been building overview's for 3 day's now and my computer has crashed atleast 6 time's on files that were perfect in 1.4.this is a problem a huge problem and the drop out's are big to.
im sticking with 1.4 and i will give atleast 3 legit reason's
1 all my mp3's will play
2 no drop out's
3 and i can run the program with low latency because the program does not drain my cpu for no reason!
believe me i want to use 1.5 because of all the xtra good's
but it is not worth it! (UNTIL IT IS FIXED)

just curious..what do you use to encode your mp3's?... are your mp3's ripped or downloaded?...

the reason I ask is that before I bring anything into serato I rip/encode with itunes.... even mp3's I download...I re-encode them with itunes... so i was just curious if its the encoder that is used that makes it a corrupt mp3....cuz if thats the case...i might be screwed with v1.5...

I haven't had a problem yet with my mp3's(all 15000 of them!!) with v1.4......
dj shadow from detroit 6:42 PM - 18 May, 2006
i never had a problen with 1.4 either
bush 6:47 PM - 18 May, 2006
Any stuff I download from djdownload always have a lightning bolt beside them, yet the mp3 is fine. Whats that all about?
dj shadow from detroit 6:50 PM - 18 May, 2006
really? i had a few song's with that
i bet 1.5 probably say's there okay! hahahahaha
DJ SHY 7:01 PM - 18 May, 2006
Quote:
Any stuff I download from djdownload always have a lightning bolt beside them, yet the mp3 is fine. Whats that all about?

any stuff I download regardless....I re-encode to wav...do some editing than back to mp3 using itunes.. i never load an mp3 that i "just" downloaded to serato for the fear of it being corrupt...

I am goin to rescan and do a re-build overview on my tracks...if everything is ok...than I'm suspecting its the encoder that people use that is giving them problems with v1.5....

if i get some corrupt files...then i'm gonna stick with v1.4...
dj shadow from detroit 7:23 PM - 18 May, 2006
it's not the encoding it is the software.it need's to be fixed before anyone uses it!!
trust me give it a little while they will fix it! (1.5 candidate 2)
CMS 10:57 PM - 18 May, 2006
@ DJ SHY,
I've been using itunes to encode all of my mp3s and I have had no problems with overviews or dropouts with the new 1.5 release. I also had no probs with the last two betas.
dj shadow from detroit 11:37 PM - 18 May, 2006
so you have to use itune's for serato to work?
sixxx 11:46 PM - 18 May, 2006
Quote:
so you have to use itune's for serato to work?

No. You can use iTunes if you'd like but Serato has it's own crate system. iTunes makes it easier when it comes to updating stuff.
dj shadow from detroit 11:58 PM - 18 May, 2006
i understand that i use serato for that
but why is everyone saying you have to use a certain encoder for mp3's?
sixxx 12:01 AM - 19 May, 2006
Quote:
i understand that i use serato for that
but why is everyone saying you have to use a certain encoder for mp3's?

No. You can use whatever encoder you want to encode your CD's, AIFF files, WAV's or whatever you use. Some people use iTunes because it's easy.
CMS 12:33 PM - 19 May, 2006
The only reason I have used the itunes encoder is because it was the fastest one. When I first got Serato I had a ton of cds I needed to rip and itunes happened to be the fastest most convinient one for me.
DJ SHY 2:01 PM - 19 May, 2006
Quote:
@ DJ SHY,
I've been using itunes to encode all of my mp3s and I have had no problems with overviews or dropouts with the new 1.5 release. I also had no probs with the last two betas.

thanks...thats good to hear..i will continue to test...
grrillatactics 3:24 PM - 19 May, 2006
Yeah, I concur. I use iTunes to encode, no problems yet with either 1.5, or any previous version that I have used.