Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

An easy way to scan unscanned Songs only?

Kmxorbit 12:15 PM - 26 April, 2009
What I didn't figure out yet.

Is there a way, how to scan a folder for only the new songs?
Sometimes I add some songs to certain folders myself, and then it's very unhandy to select them manually.

So what I do is, select all the songs and drag them to analyze.
But then it starts to analyze all the songs again...

Isn't there an alternative way to do this so, that only the unscanned/new songs are analyzed, without the need to select them manually?
kraal 2:39 PM - 26 April, 2009
is should scan to analyze but the songs should go super fast that are already analyzed
Kmxorbit 3:00 PM - 26 April, 2009
mmm....don't have that impression...
kraal 3:02 PM - 26 April, 2009
Quote:
mmm....don't have that impression...

have you closed itch before adding songs?
freelancer77 4:38 PM - 26 April, 2009
Disconnect Hardware and press the scan button ....
your new tracks will be scanned ...

But however not only some new tracks, sometimes also old ones, and thats confusing me
kraal 4:48 PM - 26 April, 2009
Quote:
Disconnect Hardware and press the scan button ....
your new tracks will be scanned ...

But however not only some new tracks, sometimes also old ones, and thats confusing me

i am not 100% but i think the old ones rescanned maybe ones added to new crates or cue points add ect but i am guessing
Kmxorbit 8:21 PM - 26 April, 2009
Strange that nobody seems to know...
Numark, Support
sbangs 9:44 AM - 27 April, 2009
Hi Guys,

To scan just a group of new tracks, click the first new track in the browser and hold the shift key and click the last in the list of new tracks.

With your new tracks still highlighted drag your mouse to the Analyze files button and just those tracks will be scanned.

Note:
You can find your new or unscanned tracks by clicking on the BPM column any unscanned tracks should then be listed first.

Hope that helps!
Kmxorbit 2:16 PM - 27 April, 2009
Thnks for your reply,but the problem is a bit more complex then that.

I rip my Music from my own CD's. I have large MP3 folders, which contain Mp3's that contain already BPM info (because I analyse them with first with BPM analyser), All my Tags are written in the same way by action macro's in MP3Tag.

These files are dragged into these folders, but they contain already music which is analysed. So it's not that easy to see which files are new, all the time.

A bigger problem that I have is when I even forget to scan them at all. Then they don't show up in the files list. Then it's really difficult to know where to find these unscanned files. Then there's nothing left to rescan the whole library (+25.000 songs)
It takes an awfull lot of time...

In my opinion itch should be able to show you the unscanned files somehow. It would make life a lot easier.
kraal 2:23 PM - 27 April, 2009
KMXORBIT--- do you use itunes ?
Kmxorbit 2:27 PM - 27 April, 2009
not on the Vista machine, in vista Itunes s*cks big time.
I do now on the Mac. In Mac it is greatly implemented I agree.

Anyway, in both cases it needs analysis.
So question remains, Why not a function to recognize unscanned songs?
kraal 2:30 PM - 27 April, 2009
I was just asking cause i use itunes playlist for that very reason it is easier to st itunes to not reorganize my file structure and i put new stuff in a new playlist a scan that
Numark, Support
sbangs 4:23 PM - 27 April, 2009
Hi KMXORBIT,

I see where your comming from, hopefuly one of the Itch team can chip in.

Did you upgrade from 1.0.4 or SL1.8 ?

If so I would recommend rescanning to benifit from the BPM updates, while this may take a while this would ensure your catalog is up to date.

Its not just BPM information which is produced when the scan is completed, it also generates the waveform displays and reduces the overal loading times of each track.
Kmxorbit 6:44 PM - 27 April, 2009
I'm pretty up to date: (10514) on both systems.

Well, I made already the unwanted mistake to delete some tracks in my library per accident.
Well I can assure you that it's not easy to retrieve them without rescanning your whole library. (which takes several hours by the way)
DeeJayElite 7:35 PM - 27 April, 2009
Man the anwer to this one is so much simpler (in my experience) than it seems. Here's what to do:
1) Open ITCH without hardware attached.
2) Highlight "All" crate.
3) In your main library list you should click on the left-facing arrow in the top right corner to choose which columns to dispay.
4) Select the "Added" detail to display at the top of the columns.
5) Click on the "Added" column header to sort the tracks.
6) From here you can select the most recent tracks you've added to your library.
7) Highlight the tracks you need analyzed and drag them to the "Build overviews" button.

Hope this is the solution you're looking for.
kraal 8:05 PM - 27 April, 2009
ha i never knew what added was for :)
Kmxorbit 8:08 PM - 27 April, 2009
Thanks for the tip man! ;-)

And what about the ones that I forgot to analyze in the past? (which actually happened to me already, and where the date isn't the parameter i can rely on?)
DeeJayElite 8:44 PM - 27 April, 2009
Quote:

And what about the ones that I forgot to analyze in the past? (which actually happened to me already, and where the date isn't the parameter i can rely on?)

I've found that usually clicking on BPM or length to sort the tracks reveals the ones without BPMs or time. Although the BPM solution can be misleading since some acapellas have no BPM.
DeeJayElite 8:50 PM - 27 April, 2009
Quote:

Hey world! Kraal didn't know something about ITCH!!! Just kiddin Kraal. You've been very helpful on the forums. I was shocked to see your post so I had to take advantage of it. :)
Kmxorbit 7:54 AM - 28 April, 2009
Never too old to learn I guess... ^^
kraal 2:34 PM - 28 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Hey world! Kraal didn't know something about ITCH!!! Just kiddin Kraal. You've been very helpful on the forums. I was shocked to see your post so I had to take advantage of it. :)

half of my info is stolen from post like this now watch someone else will ask this question and i will be the first to chime in witth the correct answer
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 11:56 PM - 28 April, 2009
Hi Kmxorbit.

If you have analyzed all your files, and then add say, 30 new tracks, only these new tracks should be analyzed as ITCH will bypass scanning tracks that it has already added to it's database. It's best to have all your tracks scanned, that way you know if there are any corrupt files in your database and can delete these (select ALL... click the box at the top of the first column to group all corrupt files together and delete, then re-rip or re-download these files if you want them).

If ITCH is scanning tracks that have already been analyzed (ie. rescanning your entire library each time you click analyze files), then there may be something going wrong.

On the BPM front - we do not recommend using any third party tools to alter ID3tags or BPMing. They can cause corruption and issues when used with other applications. ITCH's BPM analyzing is extremely accurate, so if you are using another program out of habit, it's good to know this can cause corruption. If you've got your favorite program, feel free to use it, just be aware if you start encountering problems.
Kmxorbit 9:51 AM - 29 April, 2009
Quote:
so if you are using another program out of habit, it's good to know this can cause corruption. If you've got your favorite program, feel free to use it, just be aware if you start encountering problems.

So the rescanning of even scanned files can be caused by this third party BPM scanner? good to know.
Strange part is, I do not have any corrupted files...
Would removing the BPM value's out of every MP3 file, and rescanning them in ITCH solve this issue?

Another question: issn't there a way to drag maps / folders on the analyze button, in order to analyze all MP3's underneath it? (even the subfolders?)
kraal 2:07 PM - 29 April, 2009
ok here is what I am running into with thy analyzing songs.
I move all files to a different hard drive from a usb to a bigger firewire one --- so ITCH needs to re-analyze
I added new crates with songs from the External HD and ITCH needs to re-analyze
I added playlist or reconsolidated itunes library and ITCH needs to re-analyse.

On a side note anyone using virtualDJ should watchout cause I think VDJ may re-analyze in the background
DJ Triple Stix 11:05 PM - 29 April, 2009
do I need to clear my current BPM values in order to rewrite my entire library? if so how would I clear the values and then rescan the new BPM's. I have some difficulty scanning the both tags and BPM's in the past using older versions of ITCH.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 12:21 AM - 30 April, 2009
Quote:
So the rescanning of even scanned files can be caused by this third party BPM scanner? good to know.
Strange part is, I do not have any corrupted files...
Would removing the BPM value's out of every MP3 file, and rescanning them in ITCH solve this issue?

Another question: issn't there a way to drag maps / folders on the analyze button, in order to analyze all MP3's underneath it? (even the subfolders?)

Map?

If you want to force a file or folder to be rebuilt, just drag it onto the analyze files (build overview) button, and it will rebuild. If you have the calculate bpm box checked, it will calculate (or recalculate) the BPM.

if a track has BPM value, it won't calculate it already, but skip that part. Unless you force a rebuild.

As for the overviews themselves - they are inside the files themselves (the MP3 meta data). So they should still be around whenever you move the files.
DJ Triple Stix 1:44 AM - 30 April, 2009
My problem seems to be that I cannot drag a folder or multiple folders onto the analyze buttons to start recalculating the BPM. When I do it says All overviews built. It will only recalculate the BPMS when I go into the file and drag it or multiple files onto the button. This has always been the case for every build I have tried it on.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 2:24 AM - 30 April, 2009
Hey DJ Triple Stix.

We're moving away from general discussion, and into help territory.
Are you able to start a thread in here:
serato.com

Remember to include all computer specs, os version, full problem and any actions you have tried or can't do. Cheers.
Kmxorbit 10:00 PM - 30 April, 2009
Quote:
My problem seems to be that I cannot drag a folder or multiple folders onto the analyze buttons to start recalculating the BPM. When I do it says All overviews built. It will only recalculate the BPMS when I go into the file and drag it or multiple files onto the button. This has always been the case for every build I have tried it on.

@Matt-C:

It does exactly the same for me as triple stix describes.
I believe dragging a folder onto the analyze button just doesn't work.
That's why I eventualy started this post.
DJ Triple Stix 10:27 PM - 30 April, 2009
OSX 10.5.6
2.2 Ghz Intel Duo
2 GB 667 Mhz

+1

Kmxorbit - by any chance when you attempt to rescan your ID tags does itch lock up on you forcing a restart? this happens when i have the vci connected as well as when its powered down.
Kmxorbit 10:33 PM - 30 April, 2009
Itch didn't lock up on me yet, But I only rescanned ID tags when VCI was not connected. So basically I cannot answer your question directly...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 12:29 AM - 1 May, 2009
Sorry - if you drag then it will force build. If you just press analyze files, it will only build the files that haven't been built (ie. the new ones). So to keep your library up to date, just press the analyze files button after each new batch of songs has been added.
DJ Triple Stix 12:33 AM - 1 May, 2009
dragging and dropping just tells me that all overviews are already built
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 2:57 AM - 1 May, 2009
Can you try creating a new folder, put one track in it and analyze files, then close the program down, reopen and then drag the file to the virtual deck (has the overview been made?). And then drag the crate onto the analyze files tab again, does it rebuild or not?
DJ Triple Stix 2:56 AM - 2 May, 2009
-VCI 300 is not powered on

-created new folder with one previously unanalyzed track in it.

-created new crate with file in it

-dragged onto analyzed track and overview was built

-restarted program and loaded track. overview was built, track loaded

-dragged same file onto analyze track button. track reanalyzed

-Im officially confused
Kmxorbit 7:57 AM - 2 May, 2009
Quote:
-Im officially confused

Make that 2 of us.

That's exactly why I started this topic. I believe that this "re analyzing" part of itch needs some reviewing by the development team.
DJdaveZ 6:41 PM - 3 May, 2009
you guys are confusing crates with folders...

you seem to be having problems while in the file browser trying to drag a folder onto the analyze button.. I dont think that the program is meant to work that way.

you have to first add the files to the serato database...
by either dragging that folder to the ALL master crate or to another crate or subcrate.

Then from there... you can either drag a whole crate, subcrate or selected files within onto the analyze files button.

when you drag something onto the analyze files button, it will force a new overview to be built... which means, it will discard old data on bpm and waveform and resave new information.

if you want to analyze the files in your library (in a crate or under ALL) that havent been analyzed yet, just simply click on all and click analyze files... it will scan only the files without the information already saved to the mp3.

also, your bpm program will not build serato overviews (the waveform pattern) so any track that you think may be "done" with bpm analyzation will have to have the waveform built also... so ITCH will analyze those files if ITCH hasn't analyzed them previously...
DJ Triple Stix 12:39 PM - 4 May, 2009
All of my 'files' have been added to the library. dragging the master crate or any sub crate does not trigger the overviews to be rebuilt. it tells me that all overviews are built already. i want to Analise my entire library to see if the rebuilt bmp calculatons are more accurate because right now they are awful.
kraal 2:49 PM - 4 May, 2009
Quote:
All of my 'files' have been added to the library. dragging the master crate or any sub crate does not trigger the overviews to be rebuilt. it tells me that all overviews are built already. i want to Analise my entire library to see if the rebuilt bmp calculatons are more accurate because right now they are awful.

you can alway trow out your scrath database file
DJ Triple Stix 2:56 PM - 4 May, 2009
what information does that file hold? i don't wanna loose my Que points and whatnot unless I absolutely need to. is the file literally named scratch?
kraal 3:02 PM - 4 May, 2009
wait for a bit but i thought loop points were added in the music file... can someone confirm
DJ Triple Stix 12:14 AM - 5 May, 2009
Itch WILL rebuilt the overviews when i select and drag the file itself on the the analyze . the problem is I cannot rebuild the BPM's when i drag a folder containing subfolders onto the button. it says they are already built.
DJ Triple Stix 12:38 AM - 5 May, 2009
I just deleted the scratch database file and it worked. I was able to then highlight all of the files in my library and drag & drop them. thanks for all the help
kraal 2:24 AM - 5 May, 2009
yeah i did that a couple times myself
AliKat 4:01 AM - 13 March, 2013
AHHH! this has been driving me nuts! Thank you!