Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Power adapters in other countries..

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
JD 9:51 PM - 18 November, 2004
Help! I went to radio shack to purchase a world voltage converter to use for my SSL power supply. Their adapters state that they can only be used for up to 120 mins at a time (at 50 watts)

What can I do? Do you guys recommend purchasing one when I land? I dont like the idea of not having everything I need with me before I take off...

Are there any adapters anyone can recommend?
djpetey 2:12 AM - 19 November, 2004
I dont know if youre saying that the world one is different? but I use a radio shack us power supply for my ssl nightly and it works fine for any amount of time
nik39 2:26 AM - 19 November, 2004
Quote:
Their adapters state that they can only be used for up to 120 mins at a time (at 50 watts)

I doubt that SSL goes anywhere near 50 watts, so I would assume you wont have a problem with those adapters.
SSL needs 300mA at 9V which makes (9V * 0.3A =) 2.7Watt .
JD 5:38 AM - 19 November, 2004
damn- nik- u know everything!

petey- i use the radio shack supply but im talking about the voltage converter that will allow me to use it in foreign countries such as England. They use 220 volts...
Sp3nny 12:24 PM - 19 November, 2004
Maybe just buy one when you get over here:

www.maplin.co.uk

You'll find Maplin stores in pretty much every city over here in the UK. The adapter here is only a tenner.
pgroves 1:06 PM - 19 November, 2004
Quote:
damn- nik- u know everything!

petey- i use the radio shack supply but im talking about the voltage converter that will allow me to use it in foreign countries such as England. They use 220 volts...

If I'm being pedantic about it, its actually 230 volts, as is the rest of Europe in case anyone was wondering, though the UK has a different plug from the rest (always 3 rectangular pins, most European stuff has 2 round pins).

BTW is it just me, or do US power plugs and sockets just not look very safe? The connectors seem flimsy and most plugs don't even seem to be fused nor earthed!

Check out this site for loads of info about the different voltages and plugs in use across the world:

users.pandora.be

hope this helps

Paul
JD 5:33 PM - 19 November, 2004
Quote:
Maybe just buy one when you get over here:

www.maplin.co.uk

You'll find Maplin stores in pretty much every city over here in the UK. The adapter here is only a tenner.

thanks for the info! Im thinking that would be better for the future- a 220 power strip and a 220 9v... rather then buying converters for everything...
Melissa 10:16 PM - 11 December, 2005
Any Frenchies out there?

Does anyone have any links for where to buy a power adaptor for French Caribbean (2 skinny round prong) plugs? 220 volts...
nobspangle 10:59 PM - 11 December, 2005
Melissa, if you're in the UK, just use a UK power adaptor and a european travel adaptor, you can pick the travel adaptor up in the airport on your way out, or in an electrical shop (or most supermarkets) before you go
Melissa 1:55 AM - 12 December, 2005
Thanks, will do, but still looking for a spare to leave there...
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 8:24 PM - 26 July, 2006
there's a work around where u no longer need to power your sl1. --> www.scratchlive.net (see ollie's post at the bottom)