Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Upgrading from SL2 to Akai AMX & AFX

DJ Sparkes 1:27 PM - 16 January, 2015
I'm about to buy a Akai AMX as its the cheapest way I can see to get a midi mapped cross fader for Video-SL for use with technics.

As I understand it I will have to buy another licence for the DVS even though I already own a SL2.

I also obviously own Video-SL will I have to buy that again?

Also will I have to reinstall serato with the new license that came with the AMX?

Hope that make sense and somebody can help.
DJ SP (UK) 1:30 AM - 17 January, 2015
Hi DJ Sparkes,

You won't have to reinstall SDJ, just plug in the AMX and you'll be good to go. Activating the DVS expansion pack is as simple as logging into Serato online with the email address you used to purchase it.

Quote:
TO UNLOCK THE SERATO DVS EXPANSION PACK:
Purchase using your serato.com email address. Open Serato DJ and log into Serato online by clicking 'Online' in the bottom right. Click 'Activate' to unlock the Serato DVS Expansion Pack.

store.serato.com
DJ SP (UK) 1:32 AM - 17 January, 2015
Sorry, forgot to mention you won't have to buy Serato Video again!
deejdave 2:02 AM - 17 January, 2015
You WILL have to purchase the Serato DJ DVS expansion store.serato.com If you have SSL you will need SDJ. If you already have SDJ running with your SL2 you are good to go in terms of software as it uses the same "built in" licensing/activation method that the SL2 uses.
Quote:
Sorry, forgot to mention you won't have to buy Serato Video again!

He said he has Video SL which is different than Serato Video so that will be a separate purchase as well. store.serato.com Video SL is the old Video software supported by SSL but not by SDJ If I am not mistaken.

So in short you are about $250 away from good to go. LOL sorry bud :)
DJ Sparkes 9:15 AM - 17 January, 2015
My mistake I'm running SDJ and Serato Video. So I just had to buy the DVS expansion.

Thank you for your help though.

Took delivery last night of my AMX & AFX. Really well made sounds great. I noticed a few people complaining about the output volume. I didn't notice. My advice would be to turn the amp up. Lol

Very pleased.
DJ SP (UK) 9:22 AM - 17 January, 2015
Quote:
He said he has Video SL which is different than Serato Video so that will be a separate purchase as well.

The upgrade from Video SL to Serato Video is free.
deejdave 4:24 PM - 17 January, 2015
Quote:
The upgrade from Video SL to Serato Video is free.

True dat. I remembered this but I did not have Video SL myself and I could not find ANY info supporting this. Probably due to how long ago they switched to Serato Video haha.
Quote:
Took delivery last night of my AMX & AFX. Really well made sounds great. I noticed a few people complaining about the output volume. I didn't notice. My advice would be to turn the amp up. Lol

While it does seem to be a little lower it is by no means an issue for me. So even WITH the DVS expansion you literally had to pay $350 total to have a fully functional DVS mixer................ not bad huh? Yeah I have been loving my AMX as well. Congrats!!
DJ Remix Detroit 5:05 PM - 17 January, 2015
Someone else mentioned that if you plug your AMX into a powered usb hub it will increase the output volume.
DJ Sparkes 5:15 PM - 17 January, 2015
Quote:
Someone else mentioned that if you plug your AMX into a powered usb hub it will increase the output volume.

I'll check tonight...
deejdave 6:28 PM - 17 January, 2015
Quote:

I heard this too. Makes me a little nervous though as Serato has always recommended to have the interface/s plugged in directly.

I'd say try it at home in a controlled environment and if everything works out after rigorous testing it may not be all that bad. Then again this could not even apply to the newer devices TBH.