DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

bridged vs stereo

agentorange 5:30 PM - 22 April, 2009
for the knowledgeable heads only:

why wouldn't everybody want to work off of bridged (mono) mode being that you get more than double the output? then daisy-chain a second cabinet off of that?

ex:

i have 2 srx718s and a xti2000. the 718s @8 ohms needs 800 watts. the crown at 8ohms produces 475/channel (stereo). now if i bridge this amp and daisy chain the cabinets ill get 2000 watts (bridged @ 4 ohms).

i'm not an expert, but slowly wrapping my finger around the science of it; but, why wouldn't i want to bridge and daisy-chain all the time? i know there is a pro and a con to this, i just need a definitive answer.

i'd appreciate your input, knowledgeable heads only.

thanks,
ao
sopranosupasta 1:38 PM - 23 April, 2009
running bridged puts much more stress on the amps. It will run hotter, risk thermal shutdown and overall reduce the life of the amp.

Also, you lose some definition and separation running mono vs stereo.

That being said, 90% of all major club systems are mono systems.
agentorange 1:47 PM - 23 April, 2009
so clubs run bridged all the time is what you're telling me? but they risk the life span of their amps?
sopranosupasta 5:56 PM - 23 April, 2009
yep.
shiestO! 9:03 PM - 23 April, 2009
^^that's what i've heard also.
FunkyRob 10:32 PM - 23 April, 2009
I'm not the most knowledgeable, but aren't most songs recorded to sound better in stereo?

So I imagine that playing a stereo recording in mono won't sound as 'nice'.
JayDJ130 11:46 PM - 23 April, 2009
First off, Bridged and mono are two different things.

Mono means you are summing the left and right channels of an audio source, which means you loose some of the sound that is panned to the left and right in the recording. You end up with one audio channel instead of two.

Bridging an amp is basically combining the power of two amps into one larger amp. If you have a stereo amp it is basically two amp's in one where one is feeding the left channel and one is feeding the right. You can't send a bridged amp a stereo signal. The amp does not convert a stereo signal into a mono signal. You need to handle all of that with your crossover or other equipment in you signal path. Some amps handle bridging better than others. It does put more stress on the amp, but most are made to handle it.

In my system I have 2 JBL SRX728's for subs and 2 SRX 725's for tops. I use a dbx driverack with a Crown Macrotech 5000 and 2 QSC 2450's for amps. I bridge the QSC's so they each put out about 2000 watts and use one for each of my tops (SRX725's). I do this because I run my tops in stereo but one amp won't give me the power I want and I need my macrotech for my subs because it's just sounds way better on subs. I run the macrotech in dual mono which is basically stereo. It just means whatever you plug into channel 1 automatically drives channel 2 as well. I run the subs in mono. Most crossovers sum the low frequencies going to the sub. This is because the low frequencies don't need to be in stereo. Low frequencies are "non-directional" meaning if there is a sub in a room you probably wouldn't be able to point to it with your eyes closed, where as you could with your main speakers.

In most cases you'd be bridging the amps to your subs to get the most power for the money. Subs eat power like t-pain uses auto-tune, so you need as much as you can get. It sounds to me like you're doing the right thing in your setup. Each sub gets about 1000 watts which is perfect for the 718.

That was kind of a ramble... hope it helps.
Eman0n 10:41 PM - 2 August, 2017
Huh? SMH (scratching my head),
Jay DJ130, you lost me after "First off,..." I think I'll stick with my boom box but thank you very much, I'm sure someone will be able to decipher that. The good thing is that it's in English,..........I think.
I'm outta here,...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:09 AM - 3 August, 2017
Quote:
i'm not an expert, but slowly wrapping my finger around the science of it; but, why wouldn't i want to bridge and daisy-chain all the time? i know there is a pro and a con to this, i just need a definitive answer.

thanks,

Hi, and yes I'm knowledgeable....

Let's start off with the specs of the XTi 2000

Output Power
1000W @ 2 Ohms Stereo (per Channel)
800W @ 4 Ohms Stereo (per Channel)
475W @ 8 Ohms Stereo (per Channel)
2000W @ 4 Ohms Bridged-Mono
1600W @ 8 Ohms Bridged-Mono

So basically, (at least in my opinion), you may NOT want to bridge and daisy chain all the time simply because if ONE speaker fails, the additional wattage is now sent to the WORKING speaker and it may get fried just because the 1st speaker is now out of the loop.

So if we take your example of basically sending 2000 watts @ 4 ohms into 2-800 watt continuous speakers (where they get 1000 watts apiece now), which is OK, what happens if ONE speaker fails, and now BRIDGED output @ 8 ohms (because it's now down to 1 working speaker) is now 1600 watts?

So now, you've got an 800 watt woofer that was operating at 1000 watts, (good headroom), which will now be possibly overpowered at 1600 watts - 2 dead speakers....

I mostly would either get an amp that would have enough per PER channel @ 8 ohms in stereo, OR line up 1 bridged amp PER speaker and just rock out with no distortion, but not turn it up all the way.
Jwsav 8:11 AM - 24 February, 2018
Quote:
for the knowledgeable heads only:

why wouldn't everybody want to work off of bridged (mono) mode being that you get more than double the output? then daisy-chain a second cabinet off of that?

ex:

i have 2 srx718s and a xti2000. the 718s @8 ohms needs 800 watts. the crown at 8ohms produces 475/channel (stereo). now if i bridge this amp and daisy chain the cabinets ill get 2000 watts (bridged @ 4 ohms).

thanks,
ao

Another thing not mentioned here.
First off, as stated the specs go up in power when bridged but there are a few reasons to or not to bridge etc. on the subs or any speakers for that matter you don’t want to run below 4 ohms because it starts to get choppy.

So, let’s say you had two 4 ohm subs etc. if you tie them together in bridge mono that puts you at 2 ohms. Most amps are designed to run at 4 ohms or higher so 2 is not only going to sound choppy but also put a tremendous load on your amps. 8 ohms is usually smoother for top cabinets and 4 ohms is best on subs.

Here are some examples.

2x728 jbl dual 18” sub cabs. Each cabs standard hookup is 4 ohms. Tie them together on a bridged mono amp and Your at 2 ohms. (Not good). So, what do you do? You can series the 2 subs in each cab to get you 8 ohms. Then tie them together for 4 ohms. (Good choice) but, if one sub dies you lose both.

Best scenario for this? One bridged amp for each sub cabinet. Then you stay at 4 ohms.

Top cabinets. Some are 8 and some are 4 ohms. Most are 4 ohms. With the same principles as above you can see why it would Or would not be best to run them this way.
Most common setup is stereo to top cabs and mono to subs using the left channel for
Sub mono.
When you get into bi amping Top cabs it gets a little more detailed but if you run bi amp Top cabs it will be easier to bridge amps to get the most power out of them. That’s really the only reason to bridge. For more power.
772107472eu 4:22 AM - 27 March, 2019
Hi there I have a audiobank 2000.2 watts amp with 2 l7 12 1500 watts speakers do I have to bridge spekers if I bridge amp or connect each speakers with no bridge to the bridge terminals of my amp.
772107472eu 4:23 AM - 27 March, 2019
They are 4 ohms speakers
772107472eu 4:27 AM - 27 March, 2019
Anyone out here can help pls
RR437T 4:02 AM - 28 March, 2019
Most of the above info is not correct. 4 ohm speakers doesn't mean they always operate at 4 ohms. Its an average. A speakers resistance is based on frequency. The higher the frequency, the higher the resistence, and the lower the frequency, the lower the resistance. In reality a speaker has a range. You would see something like 2-16 ohms. When you play music through your speakers, resistance is constantly changing, but never beyond 2-16.

Power amp ratings are practically a scam. There's no standard that everyone is required to use when rating an amps power, so the variance can be huge. I can tell you for sure that your amp doesn't put out anything near a clean 1500 watts. Also, like with speakers, an amps power is based on resistance. If you have an amp that puts out 100 watts at 8 ohms, it puts out 50 at 16 ohms, 200 at 4, and 400 at 2, etc. But keep in mind that's what they should put out if properly designed.

In most cases, its not a good idea to bridge. You almost always have to sacrifice something in order to do it. If you have a really good high end amp, like Bryston, then you can bridge with no problems. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.
577er 2:15 PM - 28 March, 2019
Quote:
Anyone out here can help pls

Is this a car audio setup?
Hanginon 3:03 AM - 2 April, 2019
"Bridging (also called monobridging or monoblocking) is the summing of two channels of an amp to give one higher-powered channel. An amp normally rated at 100W might deliver 300W to 400W when bridged. Because of the summing however, the load on the amp is seen as half of its normal value. In other words, an 8-ohm speaker becomes a 4-ohm speaker load, and a 4-ohm speaker becomes a 2-ohm speaker load. Speaker impedance ratings are nominal only. Actual impedance may dip to a much lower value through part of its range. When an amp's current load has been doubled due to bridging, it can often fail to provide the required amount of current into the load. Sonic effects include harshness in the midrange and highs, and thin bass. In almost all situations therefore, biamping with similar amps will result in better sound quality than bridging. Bridging is best left to professional sound-reinforcement applications, where sound quality is secondary."

You can't produce more (continuous) power than what comes out of the wall, and the amp can't produce more (continuous) power than it's power supply can provide. "Bridging" is basically trading more voltage swing for less output current - usually a poor choice for low impedance, current hungry woofers, thus the "where sound quality is secondary" statement of the above paragraphs last sentence. There is no free lunch.