DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Best subwoofers I ever bought!

dJ bMaN 9:03 PM - 21 April, 2009
This is a video of me testing out my JTR Growlers. The mic doesn't do them any justice however, you can hear the whole building rattling. The JTR Growler is a 12 inch subwoofer that can handle up to 1600 watts of power at an 8 ohm load. The amp I have on them QSC plx2602 is only giving them a max of 725 watts. My next step is to get the QSC PL380 (1500 watts @ 8 ohms).

Watchwww.youtube.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:03 PM - 21 April, 2009
how much did they cost
dJ bMaN 9:07 PM - 21 April, 2009
The price of them are on the JTR website. www.jtrspeakers.com
Jesus Christ 9:08 PM - 21 April, 2009
you think maybe the building was rattling because it had a tin roof? Just guessing.
dJ bMaN 9:13 PM - 21 April, 2009
Either that or the vents. I do know these are a hell of a lot better than my JBL MRX518's.
agentorange 9:14 PM - 21 April, 2009
jesus, what kind of bomb shelter is that? are you djing on base in iraq or something?

(no sarcasm)
agentorange 9:15 PM - 21 April, 2009
i got the srx718s? those are more clear/dependable?

(no sarcasm)
dJ bMaN 9:19 PM - 21 April, 2009
Here is the other video with some highs.

Watchwww.youtube.com
dJ bMaN 9:24 PM - 21 April, 2009
Lol @ agent, you know how some buildings are made nowadays with the quick/cheap roofing and what not. That place used to be a store that was converted into a party hall. The Jtr growler is a high fidelity subwoofer. A lot of professional sound guys have good things to say about this little subwoofer. They even had a shootout with the biggest and baddest subs. The growler was 1 of them that made it into the final round.
agentorange 2:45 AM - 22 April, 2009
bman,

how are you running those subs? what kind amp? bridged or not?

also, what city u in?

and, maybe you could space those subs further apart; cover more ground like that.

but im more curious about your amp.
dJ bMaN 3:28 AM - 22 April, 2009
Damn, I forgot to proofread, I have the QSC plx3602. I stay in chicago. When you place horn loaded subs together like that you get an increase of 3db. I understand what you mean about spacing them out but for the size of the room, that was the most practical way to use them.
agentorange 3:29 AM - 22 April, 2009
are u bridging that qsc?
dJ bMaN 5:48 AM - 22 April, 2009
No, it isn't wise to bridge an amp into a 4ohm load eventhough the amp can do it, it's not recommended.
DJ GaFFle 11:59 AM - 22 April, 2009
What made you choose unpowered subs over powered ones? Did they have the option of pole mounts on those speakers or casters?
agentorange 3:58 PM - 22 April, 2009
Quote:
No, it isn't wise to bridge an amp into a 4ohm load eventhough the amp can do it, it's not recommended.

how so? why isn't it recommended? you're essentially pushing more wattage out in mono and then daisy chaining the other sub. for your amp, you'll be pushing out 3200W; which is full capacity of your growlers @1600 each.

why isn't this recommended?

(no sarcasm)
dJ bMaN 9:07 PM - 22 April, 2009
Quote:
What made you choose unpowered subs over powered ones? Did they have the option of pole mounts on those speakers or casters?

I have some powered mackie 1501's and they are great for what they do. However, I have had to get them repaired over and over again because of the smallest things like a transistor becoming loose or a lead that needed to be soldered. I always wanted a passive system but never had the money for one. So now I have the best of both worlds. And yes, the company does make them with casters and pole mounts, they are optional.
dJ bMaN 9:13 PM - 22 April, 2009
Quote:

how so? why isn't it recommended? you're essentially pushing more wattage out in mono and then daisy chaining the other sub. for your amp, you'll be pushing out 3200W; which is full capacity of your growlers @1600 each.

why isn't this recommended?

Running an amp bridged into a 4 ohm load makes the amp work harder (more heat) which can shorten the life of the amp. Also, if you don't have enough power coming out of the wall, the amp will cut off due to power restrictions. I'd rather get the QSC pl380 that's 1500 @ 8ohm stereo. That way, the amp doesn't have to work hard and I can still use it in stereo mode.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 9:15 PM - 22 April, 2009
how well did they do when there were people around?
agentorange 9:54 PM - 22 April, 2009
i have 2 srx718s; what's the "safe" route to amplify them? how much wattage at what ohm? bridged or stereo?

bMaN, are you familiar with your amps and power ratings?
dJ bMaN 10:08 PM - 22 April, 2009
Quote:
how well did they do when there were people around?

I walked to the front entrance and could still feel and hear the bass. I could even hear it from across the street.
dJ bMaN 10:13 PM - 22 April, 2009
Quote:
i have 2 srx718s; what's the "safe" route to amplify them? how much wattage at what ohm? bridged or stereo?

The plx3602 is 775 @ 8ohms, 1250 @ 4ohms and 1800 @ 2 ohms (stereo).
Bridged it is 2500 @ 8ohms and 3600 @ 4ohms. What kind of amp do you have for your srx718's?
Serato
Sean.C 10:17 PM - 22 April, 2009
Quote:
bman,

maybe you could space those subs further apart; cover more ground like that.

Thought i might just stick my nose in...

Bass is omni-directional so sticking them far apart will yield no benefit...more likely to cause more issues with phase cancellations etc...

best off sticking them together (or one on top of the other) and they will couple...nice! And stick them towards a corner or against a wall, each surface will give you and extra 3db FOR FREE! so in a corner you will get an extra 6db (or 50% increase) for nothing...thats a deal to be had aye? just dont stick them tight up against a surface cos you will most likely kill them...

those QSC amps are killer...rock solid and brilliant performance and customer support...

s
dJ bMaN 12:36 AM - 23 April, 2009
I concur...
DJ GaFFle 1:00 AM - 23 April, 2009
Quote:
Lol @ agent, you know how some buildings are made nowadays with the quick/cheap roofing and what not. That place used to be a store that was converted into a party hall. The Jtr growler is a high fidelity subwoofer. A lot of professional sound guys have good things to say about this little subwoofer. They even had a shootout with the biggest and baddest subs. The growler was 1 of them that made it into the final round.

Yep, they get big up'd all the time on Prosoundweb forums. I think the SRX series stuff is really good too but I heard they are truly power-hungry (not very efficient across the board).

Quote:
those QSC amps are killer...

I hear they are great amps but aren't the best solution for sub bass. You'll be best off with a PL or RMX series (adequately powered) for your subs.
dJ bMaN 1:42 AM - 23 April, 2009
RMX and GX brands of QSC's are made in China, I have nothing against China its just that when Mackie moved their production plant to China from Italy, the quality of Mackie products went down. That's my only concern with the RMX series. PLX and PL models are made here.
agentorange 1:15 PM - 23 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
bman,

Bass is omni-directional so sticking them far apart will yield no benefit...more likely to cause more issues with phase cancellations etc...

best off sticking them together (or one on top of the other) and they will couple...nice! And stick them towards a corner or against a wall, each surface will give you and extra 3db FOR FREE! so in a corner you will get an extra 6db (or 50% increase) for nothing...thats a deal to be had aye? just dont stick them tight up against a surface cos you will most likely kill them...

those QSC amps are killer...rock solid and brilliant performance and customer support...

s

cool. so how come all concert halls and venues have them spaced out in opposite corners? yes, omnidirectional, but doesn't mean they will cover all ground over 150 ft length. just my 2%. 2 subs each per opposite corner, yes.
agentorange 1:20 PM - 23 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

The plx3602 is 775 @ 8ohms, 1250 @ 4ohms and 1800 @ 2 ohms (stereo).
Bridged it is 2500 @ 8ohms and 3600 @ 4ohms. What kind of amp do you have for your srx718's?

xti2000. picked crown to utilize harman rebate. feels safe with this. don't want to give too much headroom being that i won't be behind the boards. it will be used for live music (rock bands). i have a my boy who's a sound guy, and since i'm not running the boards, i don't wanna give people the space to blow my rig. rather keep it 1:1 or 1:1.5. so i stuck w the xti2000.

stereo 475w@8ohms
mono 2000w@4ohms

i will be using the subs in mono and paralleling srx718s.

whaddya say?
Dj Rehab 5:31 PM - 23 April, 2009
agent, i use the xti2000 to power my subs. I have blown two peavey 800w sub with it. I have a 3200w peavey lowrider now bridged like you said and my god it bangs HARD. People can't really stand next to it and the amp never clips.
agentorange 5:38 PM - 23 April, 2009
wait... u blew your subs with the xti2000? how so? why did this happen?
agentorange 5:40 PM - 23 April, 2009
was the amp clipping when u powered the 800w subs? i don't get it... you're amp was too much for the subs?
agentorange 6:06 PM - 23 April, 2009
that lowrider is still @ 800w RMS. 3200 is @ peak. do u run 2 lowriders bridged w the xti2000?
agentorange 6:07 PM - 23 April, 2009
subs should be run bridged from what i know.
dJ bMaN 7:06 PM - 23 April, 2009
Quote:
subs should be run bridged from what i know.

Yes this is true, but mainly for 8ohms not into 4.
Rebelguy 3:35 AM - 24 April, 2009
Quote:

cool. so how come all concert halls and venues have them spaced out in opposite corners? yes, omnidirectional, but doesn't mean they will cover all ground over 150 ft length. just my 2%. 2 subs each per opposite corner, yes.

Most of the pro sound companies on tour center cluster the subs.
Dj Rehab 3:37 AM - 24 April, 2009
800w peak, 400rms. on the old peaveys. they just were low quality. the crown xti2000 has gobs of power and is light as hell. I have a qsc rmx2450 as well and the xti blows it away.
Jeff Permanian 1:05 AM - 27 April, 2009
Quote:
This is a video of me testing out my JTR Growlers. The mic doesn't do them any justice however, you can hear the whole building rattling. The JTR Growler is a 12 inch subwoofer that can handle up to 1600 watts of power at an 8 ohm load. The amp I have on them QSC plx3602 is only giving them a max of 725 watts. My next step is to get the QSC PL380 (1500 watts @ 8 ohms).

Watchwww.youtube.com

Thank you for the kind words!

Quote:

I'm not yet making powered versions. You can buy an amp to power two for what I'd have to charge just for the one plate amp. You can get pole mounts upon request for no charge. I'll install steel thread inserts for mounting casters but we don't supply casters.
Jeff Permanian 1:15 AM - 27 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
bman,

s

Coupling multiple horn subwoofers together give you additional lowend because the effective horn mouth is larger.

A subwoofer by itself maybe omni however with multiples you can use physical placement and even processing to create directivity.
dJ bMaN 9:33 AM - 27 April, 2009
Jeff, I'm eager to hear those triple 8's...again lol! And I have just been told to be a part of a Serato clinic at Guitar Center on June 6th and guess what subs I am bringing!
DJ GaFFle 11:41 AM - 27 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
This is a video of me testing out my JTR Growlers. The mic doesn't do them any justice however, you can hear the whole building rattling. The JTR Growler is a 12 inch subwoofer that can handle up to 1600 watts of power at an 8 ohm load. The amp I have on them QSC plx3602 is only giving them a max of 725 watts. My next step is to get the QSC PL380 (1500 watts @ 8 ohms).

Watchwww.youtube.com

Thank you for the kind words!

Quote:

I'm not yet making powered versions. You can buy an amp to power two for what I'd have to charge just for the one plate amp. You can get pole mounts upon request for no charge. I'll install steel thread inserts for mounting casters but we don't supply casters.

Cool, the company's owner comes to the site repping his well-made product... good stuff.

Jeff, not showing any bias... what amp has shown you the best performance with your Growlers?
SFKirill 12:04 AM - 28 April, 2009
I am not Jeff, but I first used a qsc plx2 3602 on a pair and they felt a bit underpowered, so I sold off the 3602, and replaced it with a peavey 4080hz, 1250 at 8 ohm stereo, 2050 at 4 ohm stereo, meaning that once I get growler 3 and 4, my peavey will be able to run it just fine. I primarily use the growlers for dj gigs and they kick butt. I sold off my trusty qsc hpr 181i for the growlers better sound, weight and size.

Now I want to get better tops, if any one has ideas, would be great. I can spend 1k per cabinet (passive)

SLS920 is looking good, but 120hz low is a bit too high for the growlers i think, plus they are 1400 buck each...
DJ Adrian G 12:21 AM - 28 April, 2009
Check out The Meyer 700 hp dual 18 inch powered subs.
Jeff Permanian 6:21 AM - 28 April, 2009
Quote:
Jeff, I'm eager to hear those triple 8's...again lol! And I have just been told to be a part of a Serato clinic at Guitar Center on June 6th and guess what subs I am bringing!

Let me know, your more than welcome to borrow a pair.

Quote:
Cool, the company's owner comes to the site repping his well-made product... good stuff.

Jeff, not showing any bias... what amp has shown you the best performance with your Growlers?

Thanks! Internet, driving cross country, shows, demos, etc.....

I still think the best sounding amp bridged to a pair growlers is my old school Crown MA2400. The RMX1850, 2450 did a good job. The PLX3002 work pretty good but you can get max output from a pair of them off one 15amp circuit. The I-techs are really nice because watch them on your laptop and make adjustments on the fly. The XTI didn't do anything for me on subs but weren't bad on tops.
Maskrider 7:12 AM - 28 April, 2009
Hi!! Jeff I did'nt know your watching the post here I'm the guy in Texas that bought a pair from you. I'm looking forward to get those Triple 12x.

We exchanged emails for about half a year...lol to be a believer.

It's kinda hard to buy something that you never heard before but I glad I got them.

So much complement from people that never heard of these subs.

By the way I'm running a pair with Rmx 2450 bridged.
DJ GaFFle 9:38 AM - 28 April, 2009
Quote:
Check out The Meyer 700 hp dual 18 inch powered subs.

204 lbs!!! Those weigh 10 lbs more than me... not for mobile DJ duty.
DJ GaFFle 9:46 AM - 28 April, 2009
Quote:
...I primarily use the growlers for dj gigs and they kick butt. I sold off my trusty qsc hpr 181i for the growlers better sound, weight and size...

I have the HPR 181i's. Do the Growlers sound that much better than the 18" in the HPR's?

What type of music do they excel over the HPR's... some or all?
What type of crossover are you using on them?
Are you running your 2 Growlers per channel (left / right) off your amp or do you run your amp bridged and run your Growlers at a 4 ohm load? Which way sounds best depending on how you run them?
dJ bMaN 11:59 AM - 28 April, 2009
Gaffle, it's been proven that 2 growlers can out-run a JBL SRX728 sub (double 18). But in all actuality, its just a matter of preference. I like the growlers because they are small (half the size of a Cerwin Vega earthquake), sorta on the light side (98 pounds) and sound GOOD for a 12 inch subwoofer. They are also a HELL of a lot better than the JBL MRX 518's I had. Believe me, I was EXTREMELY skeptical about the growlers at first...until I heard them for myself.
Jeff Permanian 3:35 PM - 28 April, 2009
Quote:
Hi!! Jeff I did'nt know your watching the post here I'm the guy in Texas that bought a pair from you. I'm looking forward to get those Triple 12x.

We exchanged emails for about half a year...lol to be a believer.

It's kinda hard to buy something that you never heard before but I glad I got them.

So much complement from people that never heard of these subs.

By the way I'm running a pair with Rmx 2450 bridged.

Its been hard selling Triples since I haven't yet had them at a shootout so that a lot of people can hear them and put them side by side with others.
Jeff Permanian 3:36 PM - 28 April, 2009
The people that do have them, love them.
agentorange 4:21 PM - 28 April, 2009
Quote:
Gaffle, it's been proven that 2 growlers can out-run a JBL SRX728 sub (double 18). But in all actuality, its just a matter of preference. I like the growlers because they are small (half the size of a Cerwin Vega earthquake), sorta on the light side (98 pounds) and sound GOOD for a 12 inch subwoofer. They are also a HELL of a lot better than the JBL MRX 518's I had. Believe me, I was EXTREMELY skeptical about the growlers at first...until I heard them for myself.

how has this been proven? the growlers are better than the srx?
Jeff Permanian 5:26 PM - 28 April, 2009
Quote:

There has been a lot of people that have made this switch and have been happy ever since.
dJ bMaN 6:24 PM - 28 April, 2009
Agent, check out this thread on the prosoundweb website. It's just one of the MANY good things professional sound guys had to say about the Growler.

srforums.prosoundweb.com
agentorange 7:41 PM - 28 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

There has been a lot of people that have made this switch and have been happy ever since.

so says you...
Jeff Permanian 9:04 PM - 28 April, 2009
Quote:
so says you...

So says them.....

I don't feel right posting links to other forums but go ahead and run some searches.
dJ bMaN 9:30 PM - 28 April, 2009
Agentorange, the bottomline here is that it's all about preference. There is nothing wrong with the SRX subs. For a guy like me, I wanted the biggest bang for the buck. The Growler was it for me. Now are there better sounding subs than the SRX and the Growler, sure but they are up in the thousands of dollars and probably way more heavier. I would love to have some EV MTL1-X's or a Yorkville LS1208 sub BUT, I wanted something that was portable that didn't weight too much. I can understand how you feel about your SRX's because I feel the same way about the Growler. If you are happy with the 718's and they get the job done, then nothing else matters.
agentorange 4:12 AM - 29 April, 2009
gotcha
Jeff Permanian 3:48 PM - 29 April, 2009
Anyone DJing or going to be at Detroit's "Movement 2009" May 22-25? There will be a JTR rig with 16 Growlers at "Park Bar" all weekend.

2040 Park Ave.
Detroit
RRollergod 4:01 PM - 29 April, 2009
I remember meeting the owner and inventor of the JTR line at MBCL08. Great guy, and the speakers pound like no tomorrow!
DJ GaFFle 7:01 PM - 29 April, 2009
Quote:
I remember meeting the owner and inventor of the JTR line at MBCL08. Great guy, and the speakers pound like no tomorrow!

I thought Jeff P. was the owner/inventor...?
Jeff Permanian 11:21 PM - 29 April, 2009
That was me at Mobile Beat show.
RRollergod 11:49 PM - 29 April, 2009
Oh, sorry I must have not really read the entire topic, and must have forgot you have an account here. Hey Jeff, any possibility of a powered growler in the future?
DJ GaFFle 12:35 AM - 30 April, 2009
Quote:
Oh, sorry I must have not really read the entire topic, and must have forgot you have an account here. Hey Jeff, any possibility of a powered growler in the future?

answer--->
Quote:
I'm not yet making powered versions. You can buy an amp to power two for what I'd have to charge just for the one plate amp.
dJ bMaN 8:17 AM - 1 May, 2009
That would probably add another 20 pounds to the sub making it 125+ pounds easily.
pdidy 6:29 PM - 1 May, 2009
what up jeff........i didnt no we had so many growler owners.......i got mine from jeff over a year ago and they are serious subs
i26.photobucket.com
i26.photobucket.com
i26.photobucket.com
Jeff Permanian 6:36 PM - 6 May, 2009
Quote:
what up jeff........i didnt no we had so many growler owners.......i got mine from jeff over a year ago and they are serious subs

There are hundreds out there. Hopefully, the new Triple 8x will make some head way into the market being much lighter, smaller and more powerful than before.
agentorange 6:39 PM - 6 May, 2009
didy u ever do rentals. also, i see u in all kinds of forums. hit me up, kid.
dJ bMaN 12:56 AM - 8 July, 2009
The camera picked up the bass a little better in this video.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Gor 6:13 AM - 8 July, 2009
How many times do you want to spam the boards with your ads for these speakers mang
DjRekTek 6:59 AM - 8 July, 2009
Quote:
How many times do you want to spam the boards with your ads for these speakers mang

No one can hear you son....you aint usin GROWLERS!
Mr. Cheese 71nyc 8:21 AM - 8 July, 2009
Those Growlers must be real good if you brought a pair and didn't even look back. I've been watching them for a while, even did some research, I think you are good for another 3db if you lay them on the side with tops together. I hope to get a set some day and have Jeff autograph them
Maskrider 9:17 AM - 8 July, 2009
Quote:

lol spam you can do better than that.
DJ GaFFle 10:22 AM - 8 July, 2009
Quote:
Those Growlers must be real good if you brought a pair and didn't even look back. I've been watching them for a while, even did some research, I think you are good for another 3db if you lay them on the side with tops together. I hope to get a set some day and have Jeff autograph them

Don't you mean "for another 3db if you lay them on the side with mouths together."? (<=== no misquote)

This effectively doubles the enclosure's mouth opening producing the increased output. (<=== no misquote)
dJ bMaN 8:25 AM - 10 July, 2009
Quote:

Sorry "mang." They have no delete/edit function on here. Back to posting dj'n videos!!!!
Gor 8:57 AM - 10 July, 2009
:p
DJ GaFFle 9:25 PM - 1 September, 2009
BMan, did you recently do a gig with 6 Growlers, a Lab Gruppen and some Triple 8's? You hit the lottery my brotha?
Maskrider 10:29 PM - 1 September, 2009
Quote:
BMan, did you recently do a gig with 6 Growlers, a Lab Gruppen and some Triple 8's? You hit the lottery my brotha?

They have some pictures of that on JTR forums.
dJ bMaN 9:15 AM - 4 September, 2009
No, you hit the lottery with that TH115! But I can say I did step it up a lil from the JBL MRX518's lol.
DJ GaFFle 11:31 AM - 4 September, 2009
Quote:
No, you hit the lottery with that TH115! But I can say I did step it up a lil from the JBL MRX518's lol.

The big questions is how did they sound (6 of them!!!)?

You had a HUGE crowd there! You only had 2 Triple 8s for tops... was that enough?
dJ bMaN 4:09 PM - 4 September, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

The big questions is how did they sound (6 of them!!!)?

You had a HUGE crowd there! You only had 2 Triple 8s for tops... was that enough?

Standing right in front of them without ear protection is just plain crazy I can tell you that right now. I have to start bringing my camcorder out when I use that many of them because of people's facial reactions. They literally shook me. I'd stare at something in the distance and my vision would be blurry whenever the bass hit. I have a vdeo of me standing in front of them on my facebook page. My clothes were moving from the air. In the back of the room, the bass was still hitting hard. At the end of the night, I had to wipe off my laptop from the ceilng dust we knocked loose. As far as the T8's id go with 4. I underestmated the size of that gym (2 full sized basketball courts). 2 triple 12's would have done that gym with no problem.
DJ GaFFle 6:00 PM - 4 September, 2009
Wow. What are you comparing your T8s to based on your previous speakers?
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 6:39 PM - 4 September, 2009
hands down

linnaudionh.com
DJ GaFFle 8:30 PM - 4 September, 2009
Quote:
Wow. What are you comparing your T8s to based on your previous speakers?

Nevermind, you answered this in the other thread (Mackie).