DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Is it worth changing an older controller to one with performance pads?

tegboy 8:25 PM - 6 January, 2015
Hey everyone, I just wanted to get your opinion if you think it is worth trading an older controller (in my case, the Numark NS6) to one that has performance pads built-in versus getting a separate controller (e.g. reloop neon) for the pads. I got the NS6 and shortly afterwards, SDJ came as a replacement for itch and I wasn't able to access the additional cue points that I started to use.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 10:54 PM - 6 January, 2015
If the NS6 is treating ou well, keep and then add and Pioneer DDJ SP1 to your setup and you'll be good to go.

I have no controllers, just sold my NS7 and my DDJ SB.

I use a Pioneer DJM T1 with an SL3 and 2 1200's then added the SP1 to the mix and everything is golden.
tegboy 11:27 PM - 6 January, 2015
Thanks for the opinion. I still have my 1200s and 56 and was always thinking to add the pioneer or more the reloop to use with both. I thought it might be easier to get an all in one controller for gigs then I wouldn't need to lug around another controller for the pads.
Scully DJ Services 12:46 AM - 7 January, 2015
A cheaper option would be a Launchpad Mini. I use mine to trigger cues, loops, samples, different menus and all sorts of stuff and I have plenty of unised buttons
nathans1 12:59 AM - 7 January, 2015
My setup is 2 X 1200'S, Pioneer 3000 and Akai AFX. The pads are smaller on the AFX then on the reloop but I haven't had any problems with that. Its GREAT to not have to reach for my touchpad on the laptop or the mouse to activate functions on SDJ or to load tracks and browse my library.
nathans1 4:53 AM - 7 January, 2015
Quote:
My setup is 2 X 1200'S, Pioneer 3000 and Akai AFX. The pads are smaller on the AFX then on the reloop but I haven't had any problems with that. Its GREAT to not have to reach for my touchpad on the laptop or the mouse to activate functions on SDJ or to load tracks and browse my library.

Forgot...SL2
tegboy 12:46 AM - 8 January, 2015
Thanks all for your thoughts. It sounds like keeping my ns6 and adding another smaller controller is the preferred option from all of yiu.
nathans1 1:04 AM - 8 January, 2015
Unless the you have extra $$$ and a NEED, adding a smaller controller is the route I took.
DJKayce 5:52 PM - 8 January, 2015
Hey keep your NS6 & just add Reloop Neon. It's a match made in heaven. Am telling from my experience, I have Vci 380, NS6, SX, SX2 & SZ. With the SX2 & SZ, I don't use the Neon but with the 380, ns6 & SX, I use neon & believe me, it works better with the NS6.
U can be on a 2 different modes at the same time with neon & ns6. But not with others.
Example if u trigger a cue on neon then your main controller will be on cue. But with ns6, it will not be on cue mode which allows you to trigger any other function on NS6.
Keep your NS6.
Ricky T 9:54 AM - 23 February, 2015
Yeah what's the use of upgrading to a new controller that would would run you $500-1000. Now you can simply add on a mini controller. I invested in the numark orbit for my ns6 . But it's so confusing because there is no mapping for Serato. I really look forward in getting the reloop neon. It's a simple plug and play device.
tegboy 12:08 PM - 26 February, 2015
Thank you all for the advice. I did go ahead and got the neon and it works great and fills in the gap of missing functions to my ns6.
DJKayce 4:46 PM - 26 February, 2015
Good decision bro. Now am using my neon & ns6 more. I love d sound quality of Ns6. I just sold my SX & SX2. Kept my SZ for big events & VCI 380 for house gigs. Right now my NS6 is d King bcos of my Reloop Neon. Have fun with it. Am liking it too.
Filthy Deks 8:13 PM - 1 March, 2015
I am also looking to add the reloop neon to go along with my ns6 but does anyone know if Serato Itch will work with it or do I have to update to SDJ. I have only used Serato itch and I've heard that I would not be happy with SDJ due to some changes, but if it's necessary then it needs to be done. Any opinions would be appreciated.
DJKayce 10:24 PM - 1 March, 2015
Neon is for SDJ and Not Itch.