DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

please help

lucki 5:10 AM - 6 January, 2015
So i have recently bought a pair of used technics mk2 ,a pioneer djm800 mixer and sl3. When playing through my speakers there is no problems at all ,but when i run the TT's through the sl3 hardware and try to play vinyls the decibel feed on the mixer goes to 10 /over . Plus the sound is very distorted and harsh on the ears. Any help would be greatly appreciated
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:29 AM - 6 January, 2015
On your sl3 box set the little dip switches labled 3-4 and 5-6 to phono,

sounds like you have them set to line, set to line if you are connecting a cdj ect..
djbanno 11:24 AM - 6 January, 2015
What Dj Sparky said.
This might help as well:
support.serato.com
Nice to see a non controller request for help as RTM as the answer may be.
Good luck to you sir.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:25 PM - 6 January, 2015
There is no such word as "Vinyls".
DAMIGE 1:36 PM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:
haha
 6 1:40 PM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:

www.washingtonpost.com

vi·nyl
ˈvīnl/Submit
noun
synthetic resin or plastic consisting of polyvinyl chloride or a related polymer, used especially for wallpapers and other covering materials and for phonograph records.
"light-reflecting vinyls can be hung in the usual way"
vinyl used as the standard material for phonograph records.
"fans had to wait almost a year before the song eventually appeared on vinyl"
 6 1:45 PM - 6 January, 2015
Btw, I also refer to vinyl records as vinyl not vinyls but looks like things may be changing going forward. All the articles I've seen that favor vinyl vs vinyl are older in comparison to what I posted, including the definition I posted.

nm
 6 1:45 PM - 6 January, 2015
Vinyl vs vinyls*

nm
dj jamalot 2:06 PM - 6 January, 2015
I happen to like my Vinyl's.
lucki 2:09 PM - 6 January, 2015
Thanks for the advice , i checked the dip switches and i do have both 3-4 & 5-6 in the phone position . I have put togethether the setup a few different ways ( isolating cords ) which lowered the humming sound plus feed while nothing is playing , but as soon as i drop the stylus the mixer shoots to 10+ and the sounds are unbearable. Its really frustrating not being able to start learning because of problems like this, if anyone could aid me in figuring this out that would be swell
dj jamalot 2:11 PM - 6 January, 2015
Maybe you have some bad Turntables try switching to a cd player using the time code cd...
The Return of Dj Sparky 7:04 PM - 6 January, 2015
And you have your turntables grounded to the sl3 box?

sounds like a grounding issue if your sl3 box is set to phono,
also make sure the software is not set to "thru" mode,
thru mode is for playing real vinyl otherwise you';; just hear the tone from the control record,

if none of that is the issue make a video and also include the settings screen where the scopes are this till help us see whats going on
lucki 1:34 AM - 7 January, 2015
Thanks, will post video tonight!
nathans1 1:46 AM - 7 January, 2015
Are the lines connected from you SL3 to your mixer connected to line or phono? They should be connected to line if you are using control vinyls. (sorry had to do it). Also you are talking about using control vinyl correct? Not actual vinyl.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:53 AM - 7 January, 2015
Quote:
Are the lines connected from you SL3 to your mixer connected to line or phono? They should be connected to line if you are using control vinyls. (sorry had to do it). Also you are talking about using control vinyl correct? Not actual vinyl.

Arrrgh!
lucki 3:03 AM - 7 January, 2015
Video is being uploaded now to youtube . Will send link . Im trying to use an actual record . But you will see in the vid
lucki 3:22 PM - 7 January, 2015
Watch "Part 1" on YouTube
Part 1: youtu.be

Watch "Part 2" on YouTube
Part 2: youtu.be
nathans1 3:42 PM - 7 January, 2015
Quote:

Video is Private. Cant watch it.
lucki 6:38 PM - 7 January, 2015
My bad . Should be good now

The Return of Dj Sparky 7:22 PM - 7 January, 2015
on the back of your mixer you should be plugging the sl3 out puts into the line in or if your going to put them in phono you need to flip the little switch to say line its on the back of the mixer

the problem here is that when you connect your turntable directly to the mixer its a analog source and there for if the mixer is set to phono it will amplify the signal,

when connecting the sl3 the way you are now its getting amplified causing the levels you see,

once you use a sl3 you should always have it set on the mixer to line in, only when you connect the turntables directly do you need to set it to phono
The Return of Dj Sparky 7:25 PM - 7 January, 2015
also the scopes view in the setup something seems up with the left deck,

wither faulty wires/headshell or not enough weight on it or a worn control record,

but try the switches first and that will get you up and running
The Return of Dj Sparky 7:30 PM - 7 January, 2015
this should help you with the scopes

support.serato.com
The Return of Dj Sparky 7:38 PM - 7 January, 2015
scratch that about the left scopes didn't see you were playing a real record and not control vinyl on that deck
nathans1 7:56 PM - 7 January, 2015
I hope...since you are asking for help. That you read and try to use the advice you are being given. I
Quote:

As I said yesterday. You have the lines from you SL3 going into phono on the back of your mixer. THEY SHOULD BE GOING TO LINE. Good Luck. Let me know if that helps or maybe we can watch another video tomorrow. Also as Sparky said " You are not going to get a signal from actual vinyl" only control vinyl.
nathans1 1:06 PM - 8 January, 2015
Quote:
I hope...since you are asking for help. That you read and try to use the advice you are being given. I
Aquote]Are the lines connected from you SL3 to your mixer connected to line or phono? They should be connected to line if you are using control vinyls. (sorry had to do it). Also you are talking about using control vinyl correct? Not actual vinyl.

As I said yesterday. You have the lines from you SL3 going into phono on the back of your mixer. THEY SHOULD BE GOING TO LINE. Good Luck. Let me know if that helps or maybe we can watch another video tomorrow. Also as Sparky said " You are not going to get a signal from actual vinyl" only control vinyl.
Actually just to be 100% clear. The connection going from SL3 to the back of your mixer need to go to line not phono REGARDLESS if you are using control vinyl or traditional vinyl. When using traditional vinyl you would change your mode to thru on your SDJ Program for the deck/decks that you are using traditional vinyl on and any of the additional modes (Rel, Abs,Int) with your control vinyl.
lucki 3:05 PM - 8 January, 2015
Thanks for the input . i will do this all today .checking it out and most likely make another vid
nathans1 4:08 AM - 11 January, 2015
Curious if you got your system set up?
The Return of Dj Sparky 4:13 AM - 11 January, 2015
Probably won' hear back but i bet its sorted he was plugging a line source into a phono input causing major distortion
lucki 3:28 PM - 12 January, 2015
There are still some happenings that im not sure are supposed to be happening but i will have to make a vid this week as well i have a few questions for you guys . The time got away from me due to school work haha
DJ Tecniq 7:39 AM - 22 January, 2015
Quote:
My bad . Should be good now

I have a djm 700 bro let me help you as it's very simple to figure out. Here's the bad part I think your mixer is shot on that channel try a different channel on your mixer and see if you get the same result..problem solved :)
DJ Tecniq 7:46 AM - 22 January, 2015
Correction. You need to switch the mixer to "Line" and also switch the rca's to "LINE" you have it hooked up incorrectly. Please read the manual next time :)
DJ Tecniq 7:52 AM - 22 January, 2015
Because Serato puts out a "digital" signal you need to be hooked into "LINE" not "Phono"
nathans1 8:03 AM - 22 January, 2015
Quote:
Because Serato puts out a "digital" signal you need to be hooked into "LINE" not "Phono"

He's been told to switch to line at least 1/2 doz times. He must know better because he just won't do it.
DJ Tecniq 8:15 AM - 22 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

He's been told to switch to line at least 1/2 doz times. He must know better because he just won't do it.
I was trying to break it down easy for him incase he was slow :)
DJ Tecniq 8:19 AM - 22 January, 2015
He got the turntable connections on the box right but not the line connections. He'll figure it out. Maybe he has already since he hasn't responded and he's been playing.