Pioneer DJM-750
2 Pioneer CDJs -850

Mac Book Pro
Mid 2012
8G.ram
2.9 Ghz
750 hd
i7

Serato Dj runs flawless...NOTHING WRONG AT ALL......BUT Why does Scratch Live sound WAAAY better .? Is SDJ going to work on that...?
I've tried different settings and still sounds the same.
smokeyjoe 7:56 PM - 29 December, 2014
I think the same SSL sounds way better I raised a help request but they said it should be exactly the same
srobak 8:06 PM - 29 December, 2014
Describe "better" ? :)
smokeyjoe 11:00 PM - 29 December, 2014
SSL sounds a lot warmer than SDJ
srobak 11:39 PM - 29 December, 2014
Hrm... interesting. I would love to hear this difference in an A/B situation... maybe there is some post pro magic happening in SSL ?
Dj Personal 2:43 AM - 30 December, 2014
Yes! SSL does sound warmer.! SDJ doesn't have that clear lows like SSL. Hard to explain.
DJ Ed Wong 5:43 AM - 30 December, 2014
My understanding (and I could be all wrong here) is that
-- SL boxes do the mixing IN the box (i.e. Rane Hardware)
-- SDJ does the mixing IN the computer (i.e. Serato Software combined with computer hardware/OS)

I presume that there are all kinds of "decisions" being made by Serato software if "there isn't enough time to process the music" to make sure that the "music doesn't stop".

Another question is if the SL box is "making up" for a loss in the file being used, whereas the SDJ does not? (in other words, the SL box, like a tube amp, colors the sound, but in a pleasant way)
Deejay Steve 9:15 AM - 30 December, 2014
I have also raised concerns about the sound quality in SDJ as I have certain vocals sounding distorted when used with a DDJ-SX, my m8 has the same problem when using it with his Numark controller. Don Omar Ft Lucenzo - Danza Kuduro is my case in point, it can't be played in SDJ without the vocal distortion on either a Mac (which I use) or a PC which my m8 uses with his Numark controller.
I also have an SL4 box and distortion is also happening thru that box too with SDJ!!
Dj Personal 3:39 PM - 30 December, 2014
I love the screen set up of SDJ and the things that can be creatively done. But I'd rather play with quality sound..
Big Pops 2:07 AM - 31 December, 2014
i quite agree , SSL does sound warmer than SDJ. Senato says it should be the same but its not.
DJ Remix Detroit 8:06 PM - 1 January, 2015
Quote:
Senato says it should be the same but its not.

Just because it "Should" sound the same, doesn't mean it "Is" the same.

"Should" and "Is" are two completely different things...lol
aireyc 9:38 PM - 1 January, 2015
Not sure where you guys are listening (headphones, club system, etc), but I remember one of the updates (I forget if it was with SDJ or SSL) made my music sound flat. But there was a setting in the drivers that I could adjust and bring it back to what I expected. I don't have my laptop here to check, but it could be related.
Mr Wilks 3:27 AM - 2 January, 2015
I'm not 100% on this but I know my SX sounds pretty rough on the systems I've used but that's just down to its internal soundcard quality.

My Twitch isn't a high quality card too so the only thing I have to compare is an SL3 as that's solid. I need to download Scratch Live if I test as after a HDD crash I never installed it. I just went straight to SDJ.

If I get chance in the club i could try at some point soon.
hvn 9:02 AM - 2 January, 2015
Quote:
My understanding (and I could be all wrong here) is that
-- SL boxes do the mixing IN the box (i.e. Rane Hardware)
-- SDJ does the mixing IN the computer (i.e. Serato Software combined with computer hardware/OS)

Hi Ed,

My understanding is (at least of the DDJ-SX), that the mixing is not done in the computer / by SDJ:
- The mixer-part of this controller is an analog mixer, that can be used without a PC connected.
- The analog intputs (line, phono, mic) aren't digitized but mixed directly (analog).
- The block diagram in the user manual shows the parts of the mixer.

Thus this cannot be the reason for a different sound.
Dj Personal 2:17 PM - 2 January, 2015
Would be really nice if serato would look into it and fix it.....
Mr Wilks 3:09 PM - 2 January, 2015
There's been requests to have an EQ as a plugin like the Rane one they (used?) to do for DAWs.

A professional EQ in the software would be great. I'd definitely pay for that!
BleedR 9:25 PM - 7 January, 2015
Try setting your USB buffer higher and check if the sound doesn't get better! Also compare internal mode sound to abs or rel! Sounds weird but I've experienced a BIG difference!
Mr. Goodkat 9:38 PM - 7 January, 2015
i tried to say that there was a difference between 2.33 SSL, 2.5 SSL, and SDJ 1.7 by a difference of about +1 db per(no scientific, just a iphone app, but still there was a difference using the same meter at the same distance on the same setup.

i think SDJ is louder but it has a harsh sound to it if the source material is bad. which, with a lot of these redrum/intro tracks or low bitrate mp3s that get released through record pools its awful. These tracks really stand out with the db boost. with SSL they were more muddy than harsh and bright IMO.
blackavenger 1:51 PM - 11 January, 2015
Increase the quality (bitrate) of your tunes, fellas, and SDJ sounds just fine. Of course, like everyone else that has commented, this is only my opinion. I think SDJ sounds much better than SL or Itch before it. SL was muddy, and Itch was too bright.....I think SDJ is solidly in the middle. A major factor is which soundcard you are using too. Of course something like the SR/B isn't going to sound good. But something like the SZ will. As far as the Rane soundcards go, I've never thought that they sounded good.....even the SL4. But again, these are just opinions......the perception of sound quality always is.
raedonquan 3:10 PM - 11 January, 2015
my 62 sounds better than the sz.....
blackavenger 3:24 PM - 11 January, 2015
Quote:
my 62 sounds better than the sz.....

To you, sure. Just as I think a Pio 900 sounds better than a 62. It's all relative.
smokeyjoe 5:12 PM - 11 January, 2015
blackavenger as a professional DJ all my tracks are at the best quality they can be most of them are wavs if not mp3 320 bitrate and sdj sounds fine you are correct.

This thread started in regards to Rane boxes SL2 and SL4 and using the same track we have identified that on the same sound system that there is a difference between the 2 software in the sound quality.

I have been told that there should be no difference in the quality of the sound when I raised the a help request but there is a dramatic difference in the sound quality.
srobak 6:02 PM - 11 January, 2015
I blame the cartridges. Stantons vs. Ortofon :D hehehe
blackavenger 7:42 PM - 11 January, 2015
Quote:
This thread started in regards to Rane boxes SL2 and SL4 and using the same track we have identified that on the same sound system that there is a difference between the 2 software in the sound quality.

So you are saying that you're using the same soundcard (Rane), playing the same track, on the same system, but with different software (SDJ vs. SL)?

Oh, okay, well that's totally different from what I thought you were trying to say.
smokeyjoe 10:18 PM - 11 January, 2015
Correct mate and to be honest thought they would sound the same
smokeyjoe 10:26 PM - 11 January, 2015
Check out this thread for some testing

serato.com
Culprit 12:46 AM - 12 January, 2015
Quote:
i tried to say that there was a difference between 2.33 SSL, 2.5 SSL, and SDJ 1.7 by a difference of about +1 db per(no scientific, just a iphone app, but still there was a difference using the same meter at the same distance on the same setup.

i think SDJ is louder but it has a harsh sound to it if the source material is bad. which, with a lot of these redrum/intro tracks or low bitrate mp3s that get released through record pools its awful. These tracks really stand out with the db boost. with SSL they were more muddy than harsh and bright IMO.

I agree, i raised this same issue in a public beta. A song would distort in serato dj as to where it would not distort in scratch live. I believe they were looking into it as I might of provided a video sample. I dont remember at the moment.
DJ Tracy G. 7:47 PM - 12 January, 2015
Not sure if this affects anyone but I thought I was having issues with minor aliasing with my SL1 box and then with my SL3 box.

Other people would use my box and not have issues with the aliasing. Finally, I started using a different USB port on my laptop and suddenly a whole new world of sound came out of my serato boxes.

On my specific PC, ScratchLive would recognize when I plugged into USB3 OR USB2 ports. SDJ would only recognize when I plugged into a USB 2.0 port.

I suspect there are some differences between versions. I have found that with my current config SL3 and SDJ on a USB2.0 port sounds reeeeally clean on my Windows machine.