Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Why is SDJ such a joke?

mor 3:48 AM - 26 December, 2014
What makes it a joke?
IT crashes: 6 years with SSL, no crashes since moving to mac, I've yet to fire up SDJ at a gig, but it's crashed on me at home.

Intro doesn't support .flac: WTF man I put up with that with SSL until 2012, and almost switched to traktor because of it, now intro doesn't support .flac It's open source you clods!

No bridge: I've been putting off the update to Ableton Live 9 for this very reason, and now I have to use an outdate version of serato as well? DOH!

Serato, I've used your software since 2008, and spent at least $2k on products with your logo printed on them, I've been an ambassador of the brand and recommended it far and wide, but this latest move is a real disappointment. You've already lost my respect as a DJ, SO GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER BEFORE YOU LOSE ME AS A CUSTOMER TOO!

I feel so strongly about this issue that I was compelled to write a 1200 word blog about it…
morthanadj.wordpress.com
-mor
blackavenger 5:35 AM - 26 December, 2014
Childish rant......

go ahead and peel your Rane/Serato stickers off. Word of advice? You'll get a lot further if you don't make blog entries calling the company you want to fix an issue for you, "A FUCKING WHORE".
deejdave 6:45 AM - 26 December, 2014
First off I don't know why you would claim to be a professional DJ using Intro. Second of all not only does Serato DJ support .flac but SO DOES SERATO INTRO. So does SSL BTW. Where are you getting your information from?

Direct from the manual....................
"Supported File Types .MP3 .OGG .AAC .M4A .ALAC/.FLAC .AIF .WAV"
WarpNote 8:29 AM - 26 December, 2014
Need popcorn for this one...
Mr. Goodkat 12:07 PM - 26 December, 2014
its a few hundred dollars to get into traktor. why not switch instead of bitch? instead of writing 1200 words over issues that arent getting fixed anytime soon, why not spend the energy into getting into traktor and analyzing files. or convert the flacs to alacs or aiff files?
nik39 12:35 PM - 26 December, 2014
Quote:
Today for the first time since installing this “SDJ Light” toy software I decided to fire it up for friends and family at Xmas, the exact sort of setting I bought this piece of junk controller for and guess what..? Serato DJ Intro does not support .flac files. Wait, WHAT?!?!?!?!?!

Wait what? You're trying out a feature which you rely on.. live at a gig .. for the first time? Instead of testing it at home???

For being a blog post from a "professional" I have to say that your post is full of inconsistencies.

Quote:
At first I loved Serato, it worked well,

Serato is the company.
blackavenger 1:14 PM - 26 December, 2014
Quote:
its a few hundred dollars to get into traktor. why not switch instead of bitch

Exactly. Just buy a Traktor license ($99) and use your Pio SB "toy" as a controller for it.
If Serato decide to fix all the issues w' FLAC, and you prefer the workflow on this side of the proverbial pond, then you can always switch back.

BTW, I have to wonder, why you would equate an SB w' any of the Rane/Serato products? The SB is MOST DEFINITELY a toy for the most novice of users. It's for beginners......a cheap way to get into the game before they decide whether to spend big boy money on something more professional.

Your whole rant is based on you NOT doing research on the product you bought.
Plus, like Dave said, whereas the version of SeratoDJ Intro that came in the box might not support FLAC files, I know for a fact that Intro 1.2.3 does!! How about reading the effin' manual before going off on a childish rant w' no substantive argument.

I'll give you an argument worthy of frustration........FLAC Artwork! Now that's something that NEEDS addressed!!!
WildcardX 3:26 PM - 26 December, 2014
I am also thinking that the machine the OP is using may not be quite up to par and be the reason for his headaches with Serato. I recently stuck it out with 1.6.3 and went to 1.7.2 and it works flawlessly.
The Return of Dj Sparky 6:44 PM - 26 December, 2014
Cue the fanboys to defend a company,

the fact is sdj isn't well optimised, they made some efforts in 1.7.2 but its still not on the level of stability that SSL was, you can all chime in and say your computer isn't good enough when the fact is the program is poorly developed
Mr. Goodkat 8:02 PM - 26 December, 2014
i felt the same way dj sparky, until 1.7. and its definitely not perfect, and i kinda want to hate it because of the midi mapping(i cant map the INT button and loops, which i almost think was intentionally left out for some reason), but i bought a srt 900 and i got a club to buy one, and since 1.7 have been using it out. it actually works. PNT is 30$, but its 30$ better than SSL or the stock time stretch in SDJ. I literally had a friend dj on sunday that wasnt using PNT and it was very obvious.

It does seem to be a computer issue as well, since it works fine on my mid 2012 with 16 gb of ram. Now is it kinda ridic to have 16 gb to run SDJ? may be. but i only paid about 140-50 for the ram and got the computer for around a grand(bought it in spring 2013 on a blow out). its not super expensive if you are a professional dj.

it seems like if people did their homework this problem wouldnt arise. Like i researched the VCI 380 bought one used for 280, new they are about 350 in a blow out, which is less than the sb. ANNDDD it has a template for SSL. If your computer isnt up to snuff and you tell everyone how great SSL is, just stick with SSL til you get a new comp.

or switch to traktor. seems like a no brainer to keep yourself from the drama.
deejdave 9:51 PM - 26 December, 2014
Quote:

I'm sorry I must have missed it ........................ who was defending Serato here?

I myself thought EACH and EVERY person was attacking erroneous claims made by the OP. I also did NOT see anyone claim Serato was perfect.

BTW the definition of a fanboy is NOT an individual who is successful with a given item. A Fanboy is typically someone who defends at ALL costs admitting ALL good things while dismissing anything bad. Also the word fanboy is usually used by fanboys in my experience.

The ONLY point I was initially trying to personally make is that Serato DOES support .flac on all THREE of their current (SSL having less than a week on it) supported applications. Until someone can prove otherwise I will have to assume that both the manuals AND my personal experiences are correct over the OP and sparky.
Ragman 3:35 PM - 27 December, 2014
Quote:

the fact is sdj isn't well optimised, they made some efforts in 1.7.2 but its still not on the level of stability that SSL was, you can all chime in and say your computer isn't good enough when the fact is the program is poorly developed

Cue the antagonistic anti-fanboy.
Davideon 4:41 PM - 27 December, 2014
Quote:

I feel so strongly about this issue that I was compelled to write a 1200 word blog about it…
morthanadj.wordpress.com
-mor

Brilliant
Davideon 4:47 PM - 27 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
morthanadj.wordpress.com
-mor

Brilliant

I love the blog. You buy a pioneer piece of hardware that comes with a serato software, you get upset and so "hope Rane sort it out".

I blame KAM
mor 3:53 PM - 28 December, 2014
Quote:
go ahead and peel your Rane/Serato stickers off. Word of advice? You'll get a lot further if you don't make blog entries calling the company you want to fix an issue for you, "A FUCKING WHORE".

<---- I may almost be 30 but I'm still a millennial. Ever heard of tongue and cheek? It's a blog tard. If you've never wanted to back hand your computer and called it and what ever software that isn't giving the results you expected the foulest profanities ever, then you're either a buddhist monk, or you must not be very experimental. Relax bro, it'll all be ok.

Quote:
its a few hundred dollars to get into traktor. why not switch instead of bitch? instead of writing 1200 words over issues that arent getting fixed anytime soon, why not spend the energy into getting into traktor and analyzing files. or convert the flacs to alacs or aiff files?

The next time I decide to upgrade(if you would have read I also own an SL2 in addition to my pioneer toy) it's looking more and more like I will move to Native Instruments… I've been pretty happy with my recent experiences with their products(several years ago not so much.) But I bitch to bring awareness to issues I care about, and hopefully be a catalyst in a positive change. IF YOU READ THE BLOG you would know that would be a waste of time, since my files work fine when using my SL2 with either serato DJ 1.7 or SSL 2.whatever Any more questions.

Quote:
Wait what? You're trying out a feature which you rely on.. live at a gig .. for the first time? Instead of testing it at home???
For being a blog post from a "professional" I have to say that your post is full of inconsistencies.

Did I call it a gig? NOPE. I said at christmas. Like literally old people and little kids were opening gifts in front of me. I wanted to play some tunes, went out of my way to set up all this bullshit, only to find out tunes weren't in the right format, (the same format that works just fine with my out of pocket SL2 box in SSL or SDJ 1.7) Aint my first rodeo homie, it's just annoying as shit when you spend far too much money on something and it still doesn't work the way you want.

Quote:
I am also thinking that the machine the OP is using may not be quite up to par and be the reason for his headaches with Serato. I recently stuck it out with 1.6.3 and went to 1.7.2 and it works flawlessly.

2.5 GHz i7 Macbook Pro with 8rg of 1333, seems to run all my other software pretty well. ****JUST TO BE CLEAR**** with the exception of it missing certain things I'm a fan of like the Ableton Bridge (which is understandable, Ableton 9 doesn't support the bridge either if I'm not mistaken) I haven't run into any actual bugs with SDJ when using my SL2 since upgrading to 1.7 The point of this rant is to draw attention to what I feel to be change in course by Serato in it's branding, and platform that will ultimately hurt the company. Despite my criticism I am a huge fan of Rane mixers, and have been of Serato for years, infact that's what compels me to write.

Quote:

Brilliant
I love the blog. You buy a pioneer piece of hardware that comes with a serato software, you get upset and so "hope Rane sort it out".
I blame KAM

Either I'm defensive or you might be the smartest person here. As it turns out based on everything I've read, unless I've somehow violated some aspect of my license agreement by 'bitching' Serato should have to provide me an activation code because I own an SL2, infact, I've already filed a help desk request to that effect. I assume it's an over site on their part somewhere in the activation nebula online.

Quote:
First off I don't know why you would claim to be a professional DJ using Intro. Second of all not only does Serato DJ support .flac but SO DOES SERATO INTRO. So does SSL BTW. Where are you getting your information from?

and

"Until someone can prove otherwise"

/quote]

Ah the friendly neighborhood troll I knew you'd get in on this. Hrm, why would a professional DJ try out Toy software? Perhaps to Review it? You're partially right there mr. Troll, SSL does support flac, and has since summer 2012. You're also correct that SDJ supports .flac which I can attest to based on personal experience alone. That in and of itself was the basis for my (and your) incorrect assumption that SDJIntro supports .flac read the manual, it's located here: serato.com
and says:
Supported File Types
Mp3
Ogg Vorbis
AAC
ALAC
AIFF
WAV
Fixed and variable bit rate (VBR) files are both supported.

Quote:
Fanboys

^^^^Somebody gets it.
mor 4:37 PM - 28 December, 2014
@deejaydave, my bad I did actually just find the manual you're refering to and reinstalled 1.2.3 however I'm still unable to get the .flac's to play or show up in my crates. I'm gonna dick with it some more and see if I can figure out what the problem is. I may end having to write a second blog on the subject sooner than I originally thought.

It can see now that I was going off of google search results which directed me to an out dated manual and a bunch of apparently out dated forum posts in which other users of intro brought up .flac, support, and the rane support promptly directed them to upgrade and closed the discussion, (like this serato.com)which gives the impression of some sinister profit motive, perhaps they were just having trouble with the coding or something which is at least understandable.

Anywho I'll post what ever the conclusion to this trouble is.
blackavenger 6:33 PM - 28 December, 2014
Quote:
As it turns out based on everything I've read, unless I've somehow violated some aspect of my license agreement by 'bitching' Serato should have to provide me an activation code because I own an SL2, infact, I've already filed a help desk request to that effect. I assume it's an over site on their part somewhere in the activation nebula online.

Owning an SL2 gets you the full SeratoDJ software for the SL2 alone. If you want it for your SB, then you're going to have to buy a license for $100. That said, you shouldn't need a license at all.....the SL2 should automatically engage the full SeratoDJ experience.
WarpNote 7:59 PM - 28 December, 2014
Quote:
Need popcorn for this one...
Now having a beer too. Merry X-Mas :-)
Serato, Support
Matt P 8:10 PM - 28 December, 2014
Mor,

Sorry you aren't satisfied with the software.
Ultimately this forum is the place where we interact with your to understand why that is. Sometimes it can be very passionate. As we are all passionate about DJing.

Things that might help you.

Intro doesn't support FLAC in 1.2.3.
This is a known bug. We are working to fix this soon.

Ableton live 9 does work with Scratch Live.
Make sure you use the 32 bit version though. the 64bit version is not supported.

1.7.2 should work fine without crashes. There is even a crash reported installed to catch crashes we can't reproduce at HQ.

If you are having problems with crashing (or anything else), please email us about the crash and provide a full system profile to us at support@serato.com

We'll work with you to identify the cause. So you can start to enjoy the new features of Serato DJ.

Regards

Matt P
blackavenger 8:37 PM - 28 December, 2014
Quote:
Intro doesn't support FLAC in 1.2.3.
This is a known bug. We are working to fix this soon.

Well there you go.....it's a bug.
Mr. Goodkat 10:02 PM - 28 December, 2014
Quote:
IF YOU READ THE BLOG you would know that would be a waste of time, since my files work fine when using my SL2 with either serato DJ 1.7 or SSL 2.whatever Any more questions.

but its a bigger waste of time complaining and hoping for a quick change. if you start now you could easily be done by the next update which is probably around 2-6 months and that still may not address your issue.

might as well get after traktor.
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:48 PM - 28 December, 2014
"Why is SDJ such a joke"

Because the good developers crossed the road
blackavenger 12:06 AM - 29 December, 2014
I have to ask, Sparky.......if you HATE Serato's products so much, then why do you use them? Serious question.
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:29 AM - 29 December, 2014
i'm just not a fan of their products lately, call it tough love
raedonquan 1:53 AM - 29 December, 2014
Quote:

Serato, I've used your software since 2008, and spent at least $2k on products with your logo printed on them, I've been an ambassador of the brand and recommended it far and wide,

did you get paid by serato to be an ambassador..... think not

i bet your like that other dude who went ranting and raving that SSL worked fine and then tried SDJ and it didnt work...

to find out the guy had a tired ass computer.
FabulousFrequencies 2:26 PM - 29 December, 2014
I'm with Sparky here. We don't need to be nut huggers to be here. Most of us bought the license because it was built into the price of the controller and we shopped for a controller, not software. Get it all loaded up and find out this is what came in the box? We're entitled to be dissatisfied until it's right.

I face enough nonsense with these cats over their attitudes toward Vestax users as a whole, always claiming love in the club and handing us junk to work with. Things are not improving for us either being blown off, told we'll be happily 'entertained' while we vent (we're really asking for fixes, but told the issues are our 'opinions' essentially.) and of course, when all else fails - blame Vestax. Forget all about the shit working before Serato made changes, it's Vestax all day on blame.

So yeah, some of us are going to sit here and talk about them in a negative light until they give us a reason not to, like solid software that just plain works properly with native controllers. Or a feature set that isn't full of holes and 'we'll get to its'. Our money is in the hat just the same as yours and while your experience may be the best thing since sliced bread, there are other opinions here. Perfectly sane and legitimate grievances that continually go unchecked or run into a dead end.

These days i'm of the opinion that these forums are a propaganda train perpetuating Seratos false image of the 'professionals choice'. It's really just a brilliant business model whereas they already have their money as long as a vendor decides to work with them. The best thing a vendor could do for us; Is refuse to work with them. There will never be an incentive to excel if they remain subsidized.

Algoriddim just gave us 20 million reasons to give them a serious look (Spotify integration). There's a company that's hungry. We get waveforms, key detection, inline search, multiple library support (without limits!), it's rock solid stable, and the pro version is 50 bucks!

* Cue someone saying 'why are you still here then?'

* Inserts 'I still paid for this nonsense..'

/conversation
pdidy 3:18 PM - 29 December, 2014
You guys are whats called "glutens for punishment". The chains keeping you here are not real, they are mental.
raedonquan 3:49 PM - 29 December, 2014
So your having problems with your vestax controller....

I'm not using a vestax... But using other manufacturer's controllers and there doing fine no problems and that's butt hugging....

If you have a big distaste for you vestax get rid of it and see what else will suit you.....

I got rid of my vci-300 because of the mic issue.

Speaking of the djay pro app and relying on Spotify... Is good when you have WiFi...but if i have a party in the middle of nowhere and no cell signal how is Spotify going to help me. So much for 20 million ..

You can have issue on sdj everyone will not...... There is only one way that could happen... Is that serato will mandatory say our product will only work with x computer with x controller.. So everyone will be happy... But that will never happen.... Cause of economy...we can only afford what we can afford.... If serato said cdj2000nexus and pioneer turntables.. Pioneer 900nexus and pioneer controller sx and above with a only a 2014 Mbp with i7 processors... Serato will sink as a company.

But we have choices and every possible choice there is... You would come across a few with problems.

Serato listens to us.... You have to make request send support tickets...
FabulousFrequencies 3:58 PM - 29 December, 2014
^^^ LOL!
raedonquan 3:59 PM - 29 December, 2014
OK am I missing something
DJ Demolition 11:31 PM - 29 December, 2014
Quote:

It would seem so... They [i]listen[\i], yes... and thats usually as far as it goes.
raedonquan 12:06 AM - 30 December, 2014
Him let's see they fix the hid control on the pioneer cdj 2000.cdj 900 .. The skipping in hid is gone...the large library issue is gone... Day night mode, sticker sync, ....people asked for pitch n time...

So serato is not listening

There working on flac support.
Mr. Goodkat 12:45 AM - 30 December, 2014
Quote:
These days i'm of the opinion that these forums are a propaganda train perpetuating Seratos false image of the 'professionals choice'.

if most professional dj's that use dvs are using traktor or serato, it would be a professionals choice. if serato teams up with other dj kit companies that are also professionals choices, because they are chosen by professionals and installed at the worlds biggest clubs(pioneer, rane), it again is a professionals choice.

nobody is saying that serato is the end all be all of dj software, but currently it and traktor are the choice to go with as a professional dj. Not that you can't use a variety of apps, other dvs, or hardware or vinyl and cd, but as far as dvs goes, its not even up for discussion, its serato and traktor as professional dj software.

most people that have used serato software for the last 5-7 years get it. it takes some time for the product to develop. its not overnight. SSL still works, if things arent working correctly in SDJ use, ssl or traktor or vdj or ipad dj or whatever was previously working. if none of the controllers work with SSL, then do not purchase them. if you do purchase them, go thru the feature list and ask questions. Don't ass-ume its exactly like the last controller/software/etc, ask questions to friends or the internet and buy from someone with a return policy. its like any purchase in your life. even if you get a bad car, you can take that back, im sure you can take back a 500$ controller.

so basically it has nothing to do with fanboy status, it has to do with irritation of people being irrational in a time where people are getting more an more entitled to the FML/'woe is me' attitude when things dont happen and work overnight.
DJ Demolition 1:31 AM - 30 December, 2014
Quote:
so basically it has nothing to do with fanboy status, it has to do with irritation of people being irrational in a time where people are getting more an more entitled to the FML/'woe is me' attitude when things dont happen and work overnight.

"overnight"..? Sometimes they "dont happen and work" at all... ever... Yeah... there are one or two fanboys here.

What guys like the OP are complaining about, is all the hype that Serato puts out, trying to suck in more newbies and create more fanboys... vs the reality that we actually have to deal with. Serato should spend that time, money, and energy on pleasing their existing customers and programming better software. Then... let the DJs do the promoting, after they finally get it right.
raedonquan 3:47 AM - 30 December, 2014
fan boy no.... but it works for me both SSL and SDJ from day one... only problem i have is the cdj850 display is lagging there is no performance issue i have at all..

and sdj work on an i3 windows ..desktop

i own three 4 different dj software's and use ssl, sdj and djay....

i use ssl on the days i perform out with what ever in a dj booth... most spots have a 57 ..

i use sdj for mobiles....

djay for cocktail hr.

no fan boyism here.

speakers is another story.
DJ Demolition 4:24 AM - 30 December, 2014
Quote:
fan boy no.... but it works for me both SSL and SDJ from day one... only problem i have is the cdj850 display is lagging there is no performance issue i have at all..

Okay raedonquan. That's great, I'm glad to hear it. But just understand that not everyone has been that lucky. I'm one of those.

So close, yet so far away... Dig..?
raedonquan 5:06 AM - 30 December, 2014
lets look at the OP he said its shit and SSL is better.. OK lets move on

the OP didnt state what kind of computer he is using.... he is expecting sdj to be ssl right?

i reference another poster here who said sdj was shit and his computer barely met sdj's requirement... blaming the software cause SSL runs fine on his computer

hell SSL on a regular mac before leopard ran fine i think it was call a powerbook....you cant run sdj on that mac right?
FabulousFrequencies 6:14 AM - 30 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

It would seem so... They [i]listen[\i], yes... and thats usually as far as it goes.

+1

Quote:
Quote:

"overnight"..? Sometimes they "dont happen and work" at all... ever... Yeah... there are one or two fanboys here.

What guys like the OP are complaining about, is all the hype that Serato puts out, trying to suck in more newbies and create more fanboys... vs the reality that we actually have to deal with. Serato should spend that time, money, and energy on pleasing their existing customers and programming better software. Then... let the DJs do the promoting, after they finally get it right.

+2

Quote:
Quote:

Okay raedonquan. That's great, I'm glad to hear it. But just understand that not everyone has been that lucky. I'm one of those.

So close, yet so far away... Dig..?

+3

You get a free pony ride when you hit 10!! Seriously, thanks for being my partner in perspective. I still have support telling me the busted mapping on my vfx-1 is essentially my 'feelings' on the matter. You know, a year and 7 versions later. I finally had enough of the run around the other night and bid them farewell on that thread.

Serato doesn't make everybody 'happy' and contrary to common belief our 'happy' is merely 'working'. Not some sense of self entitlement to something better than what we paid for. if you're stuff works; Awesome. Ours does not and we're allowed to be vocal about it. In fact, Serato support *loves* to use *lack* of verbal espousement to literally excuse stuffing issues on the back burner. And there are more than enough clear testaments to this throughout the forum.

From the horses mouth, they claim to base priority of issues on vocal presence here. So why on earth would we be silent now?
mor 1:43 PM - 30 December, 2014
Quote:

Owning an SL2 gets you the full SeratoDJ software for the SL2 alone. If you want it for your SB, then you're going to have to buy a license for $100. That said, you shouldn't need a license at all.....the SL2 should automatically engage the full SeratoDJ experience.

Not quite, it doesn't get me the <20 lbs laptop included mobile DJ station the same way that the SB does… I've considered using the sb as a midi controller, but I think it all kind of just defeats the purpose.
blackavenger 1:47 PM - 30 December, 2014
^ Well, then you're going to have to fork out $100 ^

Simply owning the SL2 will NOT get you a license for the SB.
raedonquan 2:14 PM - 30 December, 2014
not everyone is going to be happy with anything in this world....
WildcardX 3:01 PM - 30 December, 2014
Hey, well what do you know! SDJ is still on sale at 50% off. Would be a good idea to get your license now for that SB while you can at this remarkable price here. store.serato.com
Draven1327 4:07 PM - 30 December, 2014
:popcorn:

:beer:
Col1990 4:45 PM - 30 December, 2014
I've not long moved from Traktor and I much prefer SDJ the interface is a lot easier to navigate and I haven't experienced any problems yet, so I guess I made the right choice up to now. The only thing I would say is the key lock sucks but you can upgrade it so it ain't that bad just cost a bit more money.
deejdave 7:55 PM - 30 December, 2014
I know when reaching insults are the quickest & easiest defense so I am not sure if this is just another example of that. With the I promise the following is in no way intended to be insulting to anyone and is strictly my thoughts on this:

If you are to walk into a room and on one side you have people slamming a software saying it sucks, it doesn't work, etc. and you have the other side saying how things are working great and they are overall content ............................ who do you go to for advice? Who do you (by default) generally assume knows what they are doing? I know things are not quite this simple but things are not that far off either it seems. I am not trying to say I or anyone else here is smarter or more capable I am just mentioning an observation.

Now isn't there is a difference between being a "fanboy" and just being a happy & capable customer? I refuse to believe that simply because I have gone through the issues and bugs and found success that I am a fanboy. Through MANY hours of my own troubleshooting and narrowing down COMBINED with the efforts of the Serato support team I got everything how I wanted it to be.

serato.com

serato.com

You will note these are two very real issues/bugs that I myself experienced with SDJ. I was vocal about these issues as well as motivated to see them fixed. You will note Serato provided the help I needed and you will also note I got this said help without having to resort to any insults or slamming of character.

I also refuse to believe that having success is all that hard as I maintain four completely independent setups (from laptop to speakers & everything in between) which all are running quite well. NOT perfect but 100% stable.

I am happy with Serato overall but I do have ideas of my own. I do have things I would like to see changed. I do have wants & wishes. I have no quarrels with being vocal about issues or wants with anyone and I don't feel people should be pressured into being silent. I even actively participate in DJ Demolitions concept thread serato.com with (in my opinion) nothing but positive and constructive criticism. I just feel it is about approach and when the approach is "off", unfair or erroneous I (being this is a public forum) will often state my opinion on the matter.

The OP's entire blog post (for the most part at least) is written off the assumption that Serato has decided not to support .flac files in Serato DJ Intro because he was looking at an old manual. It seems that there is a bug (which I admittedly had no idea of) in which the current version is not supporting the files but this is in NO way the intention of Serato and furthermore they have stated FLAT OUT that it will be addressed in an upcoming version. This just does NOT seem like the actions of a software developer who does NOT care and it certainly does NOT seem like the actions of a "Greedy fucking whore"...............

Now back to the "fanboy status" if this is what I have to be labeled (only by a few) in order to be an overall positive person and my punishment for enjoying the fruit of my own (as well as Serato's) labor then so be it. As long as everything stays stable foe me this is something I am HAPPY to accept. As always contrary to the impression some may get from reading this I just wish the same for anyone going through issues or bugs themselves currently. I know how frustrating it can be because I HAVE BEEN THERE. But as I have very well exemplified (In my opinion at least LOL) it can be done if you are willing to put in effort. Obviously hardware and laptop choices are a huge factor here as well.

Just as a side note the word "fanboy" is VERY often an exclusive word for fanboys. If someone who likes one thing hears of someone else liking something else .............. fanboy. If someone who is overall negative about something hears of someone else being overall positive about the same thing....................... fanboy. In my experience around here it usually goes a little deeper than that and it also seems to be no coincidence who is where in this spectrum.

Good luck to all though......................... I absolutely mean that!!
deejdave 7:58 PM - 30 December, 2014
Quote:
I've considered using the sb as a midi controller, but I think it all kind of just defeats the purpose.

Not sure if you are implying to use the SL2 and simply use the SB as a midi controller only with the SL2 but this is not a possibly. The Software only allows one native (soundcard/interface) connected at a time EVEN if you intend to use one without the sound card. In other words the software would not know which one to use. It HAS been done though and every now & then you will hear of individuals using two Wego's (controlling all four channels) or the NS7 & two V7's BUT understand these are not supported setups and it is risky.
FabulousFrequencies 8:23 PM - 30 December, 2014
Quote:
If you are to walk into a room and on one side you have people slamming a software saying it sucks, it doesn't work, etc. and you have the other side saying how things are working great and they are overall content ............................ who do you go to for advice? Who do you (by default) generally assume knows what they are doing?

Neither. It's not that simple. Am i'm not singling you out for your post, but it deserves some counterpoints to keep this fair. There is no context to your scenario.

Quote:
Now isn't there is a difference between being a "fanboy" and just being a happy & capable customer? I refuse to believe that simply because I have gone through the issues and bugs and found success that I am a fanboy.

There is, and nobody accused you of being one. A true fanboy will show up on your gripe thread and rush ya. It's not really their problem or business and they won't contribute anything to the resolution. Those exist around here.

Quote:
Through MANY hours of my own troubleshooting and narrowing down COMBINED with the efforts of the Serato support team I got everything how I wanted it to be.

serato.com

You started that in January and it was resolved in July. It was also stated that they already knew the bug existed when you started it. If you read that thread (as I just did) it equates to 'We know, we thank you for being someone else who knows, we'll get to it' and that's exactly how it was treated. I'm not sure this example helps your cause.

Quote:
You will note these are two very real issues/bugs that I myself experienced with SDJ. I was vocal about these issues as well as motivated to see them fixed. You will note Serato provided the help I needed and you will also note I got this said help without having to resort to any insults or slamming of character.

We don't all get those results, regardless of how we go about asking. That's why paralell opinions and perspectives jumped in here. We don't have the exact complaint the OP has, but we're sympathetic to dissatisfaction. That's it in a nutshell.
DJ Demolition 11:18 PM - 30 December, 2014
Quote:
Now back to the "fanboy status" if this is what I have to be labeled (only by a few) in order to be an overall positive person and my punishment for enjoying the fruit of my own (as well as Serato's) labor then so be it.

Dave, I don't think anyone was referring to you by that epithet. I certainly wasn't... anyway.

There are "fanboys" on every forum though. They are the ones who jump in immediately in defense of said product... right or wrong... screaming at the poster like he'd just called their mother a whore. They scare off a lot of the more timid forum participants, people that would otherwise be contributing to a more fair and balanced exchange of conversation.
DJ Demolition 11:22 PM - 30 December, 2014
Quote:
The Software only allows one native (soundcard/interface) connected at a time EVEN if you intend to use one without the sound card. In other words the software would not know which one to use. It HAS been done though and every now & then you will hear of individuals using two Wego's (controlling all four channels) or the NS7 & two V7's BUT understand these are not supported setups and it is risky.

Correct. I was using my Twitch with my V7s at one point, to take advantage of the pads, etc...

Never had any problem though, once I got past the startup hassles. On the other hand... I was using them with Itch.., which is a more stable product at this point.
Heltino 3:18 AM - 31 December, 2014
SDJ runs for me perfect, no crashes...nothing.

far away from that point:
I just switched from Traktor to Serato. (after 7 years of 100% loyal Traktor user)
Mainly by two reasons:
a) the hardware of NI sucks and they refuse to make coop with the real brands
b) NI just IGNORES their customers. No feedback, no support...just bullshit "#futureofdjing" videos with "star DJs" nobody ever heared about and with NO, ABSOLUTLY NO, new software since more than TWO years.
the "new" version is just to support their new hardware and gives all others total nothing...oh, STOP!....of course all others receive something! most unstable and buggy piece of shit ever released. after EIGHT month of development...

congrats on that one.

so, just move to Traktor if SDJ is "a joke".

you will learn pretty hard your lession, promissed.
blackavenger 4:34 AM - 31 December, 2014
Quote:
b) NI just IGNORES their customers. No feedback, no support...just bullshit "#futureofdjing" videos with "star DJs" nobody ever heared about

I agree with regard to getting no feedback from NI staff. I've gotten more help from the users than anyone that actually works for NI.

As for #futureofdjing vids having artists no one has ever heard of......all I have to say is you're either a newb, or just not very well acquainted with House & Techno DJs/Producers.
Carl Cox, Pan Pot, Nic Fanciulli, and MK are all VERY well known in Dance Music! It makes perfect sense as to why NI used them to promote their Twitter/YouTube campaign.
DJ Demolition 6:08 AM - 31 December, 2014
Quote:
so, just move to Traktor if SDJ is "a joke".

you will learn pretty hard your lession, promissed.

I guess I'd have to agree with that statement. ...same situation with VDJ.

My way of looking at it, is that no matter which way you go with the software companies, or to a lesser extent, the hardware... you're still going to be dealing with an indifferent corporate attitude, and technology that is ten years behind where we should be today.

So, unless you want to drop a couple hundred thousand on development to create your own software/hardware combo... all you can do is go with the top contender, (Serato, in this case) which for all it's problems, is still the best thing (over all) available at the moment... Then you make suggestions and put the pressure on any way you can, until hopefully one day, you finally get what you want/need.

I'm sick of this though. If I lived in New Zealand, I know exactly what I'd do... I'd bypass the red tape.., find me a Serato employee I could deal with, and get my software out the back door configured the way I want it. The fanboys would never know what they were missing :)
deejdave 6:20 AM - 31 December, 2014
Quote:
Neither. It's not that simple. Am i'm not singling you out for your post, but it deserves some counterpoints to keep this fair. There is no context to your scenario

Context = X. As in this applies to pretty much anything. If I am having issues myself with software X................ or hardware X.............. or a bicycle for that matter. I can not think of a possible reason I would not go to someone who is having success to basically if nothing else try to emulate or approach as they have. You can learn a LOT from history on any thing and when going through the history I would personally follow the footsteps of those who have had success before I followed those who ultimately failed. What do I personally have to gain from a failure other than failure myself. The only thing I can think of is what NOT to do. Again I am not implying anything by this it is a simple observation.
Quote:
There is, and nobody accused you of being one. A true fanboy will show up on your gripe thread and rush ya. It's not really their problem or business and they won't contribute anything to the resolution. Those exist around here.

They do and no no one did directly call me or anyone else a fanboy but it was thrown around write a few times on this thread and I do not see myself writing/saying anything different than the other individuals speaking positively. I believe I was called a troll though but in the very next post he pretty much negated everything he just said and realized I was correct with what I said. Too bad there is a bug preventing the .flac support anyways but at least the intentions are there LOL.
Quote:
You started that in January and it was resolved in July. It was also stated that they already knew the bug existed when you started it. If you read that thread (as I just did) it equates to 'We know, we thank you for being someone else who knows, we'll get to it' and that's exactly how it was treated. I'm not sure this example helps your cause.

IMO it helps GREATLY. You are speaking of the one issue that was a pretty huge issue and they confirmed it was logged but there was no fix yet. They said they were working on it. They eventually fixed it and I have not seen the issue since. IMO for the caliber of fix with the fact that everything was still stable and usable (as in HUGE impact but low priority) I was a very happy customer in the end and not for nothing I do not consider ca. six months to be all that long to wait for a fix of that caliber. Again a you can see in the progression of the log I was frustrated but kept it cool and collected (above all polite) and in the end it all worked out. It's just the way I handle things. I have learned in life you certainly DO get more flies with honey than vinegar. Also the squeaky wheel gets the oil ............................ but the wheel that won't STOP squeaking gets replaced.

In all fairness if we want to criticize the timing of one of my reports we must recognize the timing on the other being 6 days. SIX........... DAYS!! Not too shabby IMO and I have literally not had the issue since when it was happening every time.
Quote:
We don't all get those results, regardless of how we go about asking. That's why paralell opinions and perspectives jumped in here. We don't have the exact complaint the OP has, but we're sympathetic to dissatisfaction. That's it in a nutshell.

I can relate to this. I really can. I ALWAYS feel for individuals who have issues with things not working as they are supposed to. As long as a given user is using a Mac (nothing personal against Windows but there are just too many variables there to get involved) I will always offer my help while using one of my MacBooks that is closest to theirs and one of my interfaces that is either the same or similar whenever I can. I just still feel the approach is all wrong here. Now when you are saying again we don't all get those results. Do you think one is more likely to get what they are looking for by calling these guys F-ing whores or by staying cool, collected and above all polite? I don't know I guess it is the parallel opinions and what not going on here. I mean we have the freedom to say whatever we please being these are public forums. I have no right to judge anyone for how they want to handle things I suppose but then again I am not really trying to judge but more or less hint that there is another way. I don't know it just seems so simple to me. Then again being polite is hard wired into my system. It's just how I was raised LOL.
FabulousFrequencies 6:23 AM - 31 December, 2014
^^^^ TLDR
deejdave 6:24 AM - 31 December, 2014
Quote:
^^^^ TLDR

It's probably for the best anyways.
pdidy 6:38 AM - 31 December, 2014
Quote:
Context = X. As in this applies to pretty much anything. If I am having issues myself with software X................ or hardware X.............. or a bicycle for that matter. I can not think of a possible reason I would not go to someone who is having success to basically if nothing else try to emulate or approach as they have. You can learn a LOT from history on any thing and when going through the history I would personally follow the footsteps of those who have had success before I followed those who ultimately failed. What do I personally have to gain from a failure other than failure myself. The only thing I can think of is what NOT to do. Again I am not implying anything by this it is a simple observation.

+1
good post
Ragman 7:34 AM - 31 December, 2014
Quote:
[...][...]
Dave, I don't think anyone was referring to you by that epithet. I certainly wasn't... anyway.

There are "fanboys" on every forum though. They are the ones who jump in immediately in defense of said product... right or wrong... screaming at the poster like he'd just called their mother a whore. They scare off a lot of the more timid forum participants, people that would otherwise be contributing to a more fair and balanced exchange of conversation.

DJ Demolition I wholeheartedly agree with your statement regarding fanboys (actually experienced it in detail on the Denon site), but it cuts both ways as there are those spewing negativity who exist at the other end of the spectrum. I think it only fair to point out those types as well don't you think? I can sympathize with someone having issues and perceive they are not getting the service that is required for the investment they've made. But some go overboard and I don't think it's wrong to point it out when one has stepped way out-of-bounds in their over enthusiastic attack of Serato (that's actually putting it mildly). As my grandmother often reminds me "2 wrongs don't equal a right". And things tend to get resolved a lot better if you attack something from the mindset of being a mature adult.
Heltino 1:01 PM - 31 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
b) NI just IGNORES their customers. No feedback, no support...just bullshit "#futureofdjing" videos with "star DJs" nobody ever heared about

I agree with regard to getting no feedback from NI staff. I've gotten more help from the users than anyone that actually works for NI.

As for #futureofdjing vids having artists no one has ever heard of......all I have to say is you're either a newb, or just not very well acquainted with House & Techno DJs/Producers.
Carl Cox, Pan Pot, Nic Fanciulli, and MK are all VERY well known in Dance Music! It makes perfect sense as to why NI used them to promote their Twitter/YouTube campaign.

I don't talk about the guys like carl cox that is now used.
Intalked about the "stars", known but nothing glorius, that was used as time eater nearly over the whole 2014.

I' m still within the NI forum and have a lot of contacts with the users.
The users of Traktor are amazing, NI as company just sucks and changed their approach in the last year to an arrogant and ignoring self announced "future of DJing" snob.
there are in fact since nearly three years (!) no innovations in the software, the hardware is cutted to the chinese plastic stuff they produce themself...rest of market is ignored.
customers are as well ignored.
Traktor was the market lead...and now I see not a single reason for anybody to go to that stuff. (keep in mind I own a license and a Traktor S4, so I know what I talk about and make no blind bashing) if you are not a producer or a DJ that is booked for a 40 minutes weeks prioir prepared marketing gig...you have no use of this stuff at all. remix decks are without preparation nearly useless....
SDJ is, as all other software on the market, not perfect. that is true.
The big difference is here the development we've seen. the product becomes much and much better and Serato has a communication with their customers. look at the 1.7.2! I'm pretty happy with it and Serato considered as well a lot of customer suggestions and wishes.
NI don't give a monkey on customer input and releases a "new" version, what is none, and this is so buggy that it is impossible to use for most customers. All I know are back to the old version 2.6.8.
DJ Demolition 4:05 PM - 1 January, 2015
Quote:

DJ Demolition I wholeheartedly agree with your statement regarding fanboys (actually experienced it in detail on the Denon site), but it cuts both ways as there are those spewing negativity who exist at the other end of the spectrum. I think it only fair to point out those types as well don't you think? I can sympathize with someone having issues and perceive they are not getting the service that is required for the investment they've made. But some go overboard and I don't think it's wrong to point it out when one has stepped way out-of-bounds in their over enthusiastic attack of Serato (that's actually putting it mildly). As my grandmother often reminds me "2 wrongs don't equal a right". And things tend to get resolved a lot better if you attack something from the mindset of being a mature adult.

Well, I certainly hear what you're saying, but on the other hand, none of these companies are living up to their own hype... They need to be called out on that, and personally, I don't really (particularly) care how it's done.

I can sympathize somewhat with the OP... in that he bought something that was hyped to do things that it just wasn't capable of. That's really the bottom line. It might be a dime store grade controller, but after all it was made by pioneer, and I would think he'd have every right to expect it (and the included software) to perform as advertised. I can afford to buy whatever I want, but that was apparently a big hit to his meager budget, and therefore a big deal to him.

He might have been a little over enthusiastic when he posted his gripes, but honestly, I'm of a similar opinion about almost all these vendors that we have to deal with. I've bought the most expensive and advanced controllers and software available, ...the best any of them had to offer, and they've all disappointed me in worse ways than those that the OP describes. Someone needs to point that out... right?
Ragman 6:14 PM - 1 January, 2015
Quote:
[...][...]
Someone needs to point that out... right?

Yep, and you did it very well. The OP could take some tips from you. ;-)
DJ Remix Detroit 12:09 AM - 2 January, 2015
Quote:
Well, I certainly hear what you're saying, but on the other hand, none of these companies are living up to their own hype... They need to be called out on that, and personally, I don't really (particularly) care how it's done.

I can sympathize somewhat with the OP... in that he bought something that was hyped to do things that it just wasn't capable of. That's really the bottom line. It might be a dime store grade controller, but after all it was made by pioneer, and I would think he'd have every right to expect it (and the included software) to perform as advertised. I can afford to buy whatever I want, but that was apparently a big hit to his meager budget, and therefore a big deal to him.

He might have been a little over enthusiastic when he posted his gripes, but honestly, I'm of a similar opinion about almost all these vendors that we have to deal with. I've bought the most expensive and advanced controllers and software available, ...the best any of them had to offer, and they've all disappointed me in worse ways than those that the OP describes. Someone needs to point that out... right?

Very well said....

I think the problem with Serato is that they didn't make SDJ as stable as SSL was when it first came out. SSL's super stability is what they built their DVS reputation on.... and it's very fair for customers to hold them to that image/standard. So when Serato releases the so-called next best thing to completely replace the product known distinctly for its stability, and the new product comes out not as stable as the parent product, people are going to raise an eyebrow.

I am one to give credit where credit is due, regardless of flaws, but it is evident that SDJ's starting track record isn't up to par with SSL. And I don't blame DJ's one bit for calling a spade a spade.
blackavenger 5:28 AM - 2 January, 2015
Quote:
I think the problem with Serato is that they didn't make SDJ as stable as SSL was when it first came out. SSL's super stability is what they built their DVS reputation on.... and it's very fair for customers to hold them to that image/standard.

Not exactly.

ScratchLIVE was VERY bare bones in the early days. SeratoDJ on the other hand is extremely feature rich comparatively speaking. Not that we shouldn't demand excellence, but damn, to hold them to the same standard as when they released ScratchLIVE is a little unfair!

Go look at my past posts.......I am no fanboy or apologist, so don't even go there.
kebzer 7:57 AM - 2 January, 2015
Mor, welcome to 2014!

All the issues you mentioned in you blog post have been exhaustively discussed in this forum throughout 2014. I' m with you on the SSL vs SDJ thing, but to be fair, Serato has put a lot of effort from 1.6 to 1.7.2. BTW, Rane has nothing to do with the SDJ development.

I strongly believe that by 1.9 SDJ will be in par with SSL. Right now 1.7.2 is almost as good as Traktor and better than anything else, but reaching the legendary status of SSL is a bit far away yet.

Show some patience and be sure that you have all the correct updates/drivers sorted first before reaching any conclusions.
DJ Remix Detroit 12:46 PM - 2 January, 2015
Quote:
ScratchLIVE was VERY bare bones in the early days. SeratoDJ on the other hand is extremely feature rich comparatively speaking. Not that we shouldn't demand excellence, but damn, to hold them to the same standard as when they released ScratchLIVE is a little unfair!

But again, that falls back on them.... they rushed the product out before making sure it was in tip top shape...

I notice this with a lot of software companies now.... they are so quick to put a product out there to gain the revenue... but there are heaps of simple problems that could have been caught if a little more attention to detail was used.

for example (and this i purely an example, not wanting to jump off topic)... look at Apple releasing the iPhone 6 and ios 8 knowing damn well it wasn't ready for the general public. meeting their routine yearly release date was more important than releasing a product that was fully functional and ready to be used by consumers.
DJ Remix Detroit 12:52 PM - 2 January, 2015
(back on topic)....so yeah, it's not the consumers job to be fair.... if they've stuck with a company because of trouble free rock solid performance and the company says hey here is our latest and greatest... and the newer stuff doesn't live up to the standard of what they been used to for almost 10 yrs, then that is 100% on Serato for not making sure the reputation stayed built on rock solid stability.

Thats like having a client come back to me because the last gig i did for them was outstanding... well, they hire me again and i tell them that for an extra $500 i will use the latest and greatest that has more features and newer technology... (low and behold i haven't actually taken the time to really learn this new equipment and decide to use it anyway hoping that it will just go smoothly when it's gig time).

so when the gig comes around and all of my latest and greatest equipment is not working right and i end up bombing the gig... should the customer be fair and let me slide on the fact that i didn't do the proper prepping and testing before hand? or does the customer have the right to be upset at the fact that they just spent more money thinking they were going to get the same rock solid gig as last time?
DJ Demolition 9:24 PM - 2 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
[...][...]
Someone needs to point that out... right?

Yep, and you did it very well. The OP could take some tips from you. ;-)

Thank you... and not trying to be argumentative at all... but I would like to point out something here that is rather obvious, yet I believe most of you have totally missed seeing...

I, and others have posted legitimate concerns here in a polite and logical way, that never had the first reply or comment, either for, or against, by other members. Obviously, Serato never paid them any mind, either...

So along comes the OP, and posts the "childish" rant that started this thread, and quickly garners over 65 comments in just a little over a week! Now, you know at this point, the folks at Serato are definitely reading this thread too... right? So, someone please tell me again how he did it all wrong...... :)
pdidy 9:46 PM - 2 January, 2015
Quote:
So, someone please tell me again how he did it all wrong...... :)

Well the OP has labeled himself as someone not to be taken seriously so Im guessing thats probably not a good thing.
Mr. Goodkat 10:46 PM - 2 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[...][...]
[i]

I, and others have posted legitimate concerns here in a polite and logical way, that never had the first reply or comment, either for, or against, by other members. Obviously, Serato never paid them any mind, either...

So, someone please tell me again how he did it all wrong...... :)

because a. you are suppose to go to the help section and make a help request/ticket. if you do a basic search or research of the site you will know this. b.) you expect people to be nice on the internet and somehow solve your problem right away, not being able to look at your computer and having a vague description to understand what you are talking about.

When you post in sdj or gen dj discussion, we've heard all these problems before, sdj sucks, sdj doesnt do this or that, and all serato is going to do say open a ticket. For you to open a discussion, whether you know it or not, there ARE people that have been here for almost 10 years and its easier for us to make fun of you than help you because a. you are supposed to open a ticket b. someone from serato generally tells you to open a ticket c. we are not having the problem you are.

as for sarcasm on the internet? imagine that. insulting replies on the internet? imagine that.
Heltino 11:37 PM - 2 January, 2015
I can´t get it guys.
"a joke" and the complain is
a) subjective: (I had with 1.7.2 not a single crash, with 1.7.1 as well not....with 1.7.0 one time but this was a selfmade fuck up due to "creative" windows setup :))
b) specific: "bridge" is not the most common stuff....guys that are going such direction are a little in the producing approach and end up, latest due to the flexible midi options, mostly at Traktor)
c) a joke itself: "INTRO" (!!!!!) does not support FLAC. fine. who the fuck cares about the INTRO version? go and get the full version.

to call a product "a joke" needs a little more as such points.
a joke is what native instruments did. 2 years NOTHING....then a "new version" what makes the following:
crashes, shoots libraries to hell and adds support for the new chinese hardware.
even the speedy brought out "bug fix" is so unstable that I know nobody that is using it (except the S8 owners as they have to). last not least: if you have no S8...the "new" version brings you nearly nothing.
yeah....itunes is now better supported. (as in Serato available since YEARS)

THAT is a joke.

the joke was so funny that I´ve changed after 8 years (!) from Traktor to Serato.
nik39 3:19 AM - 3 January, 2015
Quote:
I can sympathize somewhat with the OP... in that he bought something that was hyped to do things that it just wasn't capable of. That's really the bottom line. It might be a dime store grade controller, but after all it was made by pioneer, and I would think he'd have every right to expect it (and the included software) to perform as advertised.

+1

However, his initial blog post was full of inaccuracies. This just calls for not being taken seriously.
DJ Demolition 2:55 PM - 3 January, 2015
Quote:
However, his initial blog post was full of inaccuracies. This just calls for not being taken seriously.

Yes, well, I reckon we can't all be perfect.., and it seems our poster was a little emotional at the time also. So I'm willing to cut him a little slack in this circumstance.

On the other hand, the software is still buggy. It acts up everytime I try to use it... check some of my other posts for details.

So, for the sake of curiosity... in your opinion, which is more conducive to progress? ...us pointing out inaccuracies in the OP's rant? Or, him naming inaccuracies in the software?
pdidy 4:53 PM - 3 January, 2015
Lol @ you needing so so bad to be right. Smh
DJ Demolition 5:58 PM - 3 January, 2015
Quote:
Lol @ you needing so so bad to be right. Smh

Hehe.. I couldn't help but laugh when I read that... because that's exactly what I was thinking about the apologists here, when I was writing the above. :)

However, it would have been much more interesting to me, if you had actually tried to answer the question.

I think you may have the wrong idea. I'm just stating my own opinion for the sake of argument. Please don't feel as though I need your approval...
Mr. Goodkat 12:37 AM - 4 January, 2015
the only bug ive found on 1.72 is that the bpm 2 decimal place doesnt always display 2 decimal places on the left deck about 90% of the time. why the other 10% it has 2 places? no idea, but thats my only issue and its not a big deal, i dont need it, just turned it on to see what it looked like.
Heltino 4:04 AM - 4 January, 2015
if you are talking about bugs it would be greate if you post specs like used controller, used OS, general hardware.

I figured out with the 1.7.2 so far no single issue.
win8.1 64bit, i5, 2,5-3,1Ghz, 8GB RAM, numark NS7II

might be the case that I do use less heavy some functions as others do....but it´s just a blind guess.
"I have bugs" without additional information is just useless :)
mor 6:43 AM - 4 January, 2015
Wow, don't you people have anything better to do than bicker with each other on a forum? And some of you people are calling me childish… I guess it's pot's and kettles on this stove top!

Quote:

far away from that point:
I just switched from Traktor to Serato. (after 7 years of 100% loyal Traktor user)
Mainly by two reasons:.

Awesome, real input! That's all really good to know, it's somewhat different experience from what I have heard from friends, but definitely something I'll look into before dropping any money on traktor… Also Heltino back towards the top I listed my gear in response to another comment. Even though the point of the thread was more to voice my opinion on the direction Serato has chosen to go with this latest round of products and software, than to get an immediate and final solution to my problem.

Quote:
ll the OP has labeled himself as someone not to be taken seriously so Im guessing thats probably not a good thing.

Should I be taken literally? Probably not, unless the statement being made was preceded with the word "literally." Should I be taken with a grain of Salt? Maybe, depending on the topic, my mental state and more importantly YOUR mental state… It may be fair to say I'm a character: imperfect and capable of mistakes no doubt, but to dismiss someone because of that and assume he or she shouldn't be taken seriously is a mistake.

Quote:
. But some go overboard and I don't think it's wrong to point it out when one has stepped way out-of-bounds in their over enthusiastic attack of Serato (that's actually putting it mildly). As my grandmother often reminds me "2 wrongs don't equal a right". And things tend to get resolved a lot better if you attack something from the mindset of being a mature adult.

Well as my granddad always said "Squeaky wheel get's the grease" and that's pretty universally true, you want something done? Make a big passionate stink about it. Immature would be saying the Serato employee who feigned an attempt to resolve my issue names, or breaking my equipment or DDoSing the forum or something. Fact of the matter is that in most instances corporate entities make decisions based on their <i>perceived</i> bottom line. If there's some problem that costs money to fix a corporation isn't going to fix it unless the cost of fixing the problem is out weighed by the cost of NOT fixing the problem. If you've worked in Tech Support or at a call center taking support calls of some kind then you likely know how magical the words "I want to cancel my account" are with regards to resolving an issue, with respect to Serato my intent is to raise awareness about this .flac issue and give potential users some other view point beyond the hype and sponsored articles in industry publications.

As far as a blog is concerned, it's a blog, it's not out of bounds, and it's even pretty fair to Serato and even sings some praises. Yes it has colorful descriptive language and doesn't try to be neutral, it's not that kind of blog. H. S. Thompson I think called the style of journalism "Gonzo."

Quote:

Well, I certainly hear what you're saying, but on the other hand, none of these companies are living up to their own hype... They need to be called out on that, and personally, I don't really (particularly) care how it's done...

Someone[/i] needs to point that out... right?

Point and match. Is Serato's Non flac support a bug as they say? Maybe. Was their original choice not to include .flac capabilities an oversite? Possibly. It could also be the result of some marketing decision to hold back a few basic but essential capabilities from the "Intro" software in order drive up purchases of the SDJ license. Could it be all of the above? You decide. Personally I'm just raising awareness, maybe you live in a world where such endeavors are only to be done in the form of dry emotionless pleasantries suitable for your grand parents, but my gramps drank, smoked, and told dirty jokes. Takes all kinds I guess.
Heltino 4:25 PM - 4 January, 2015
@mor:
I can just strongly recomment to not put any money on Traktor right now.

In fact the actual stuff is old. The "new version" added mainly just two things.
itunes integration
support for the new S8 hardware

The rest is pretty unchainged since 2012.

BUT even if the rest is pretty unchanged, these guys managed to insert an army of bugs into it.
2.6.8 is the latest stable version, everything "new" above 2.7.x just sucks.

My personal main reason to try Serato (and finally changed to it) was driven by:
no hardware (full controller) except of their own plastic stuff
the attitude of this company.

Native Instruments was a real cool small company from Berlin.
Now they changed to a money generating monster that just don´t give a monkey on their customers.
Support sucks like a support can suck
Forums: there is one (!) free lancer DJ paid by NI that talks a little to the customers.
But mainly the free lancer just defends NI where it is possible. (as well with pure ignorance of facts)
Don´t expect ANY open ear.
"feature request" is unknown for these guys.

99% of the customers claims since 5 (!!!) years that a flexible beat grid is needed as the static solution from Traktor makes it impossible to grid a few tracks properly.
THEY DON´T GIVE A SHIT. Instead of the requested stuff...they came with "remix deck hardcore" AND forced the customers to purchase an additional controller for this in the first two years. (after 2 years they opened it a little...for full function -> NI plastic is your way)

I know from good channels that Pioneer themself refuses to work longer with Native Instruments. The reason is unbelievable :)
Pioneer had the DJM-T1 Traktor mixer what was in the beginning 1199Euro and market price was 1000Euro.

NI just made in hidden mode a pretty similar device, nearly a copy, and sold it for less money. (blog.friendlyhouse.at)

799Euro list price and market price somewhere between 600 and 750Euro.

At this point Pioneer stopped immediately all coorperation, that was the last "NI device" they made.
By tactical reasons (club´s requirement) there is the DJM nexus line supporting Traktor and the 2000 CDJ (900 NOT!), all rest is Serato.

Even the DDJ-SX or SZ are just "midi" with Traktor and not natively supported.
Tested that...not so responsive for me as I like to have it.

So, don´t get me wrong....if you believe SDJ is a joke. You have not seen the last years and actual behavior of Native Instruments. THAT was not only a joke, that was kidding the own customers and act like an arrogant full idiot company.

Just think about it:
8 month was between 2.6.8 and 2.7.0.
EIGHT month where absolutly nothing came. no communication, no response to questions from the customers, no bug fixing...just 100% silence.
After this unbelievable long time they release 2.7.0 what gave NOTHING except a basic itunes integration. AND this version was so terrible that they released after 2 weeks in emergency mode 2.7.1....and this is still unstable for the most guys.

If I compare what Serato did in this time: IMPRESSIVE.
If I look at the 1.7.2 beta: that rocked. 100% feedback, each two weeks new versions, a lot of stuff we told them was considered....

Let´s say....I´m now a little "unliked" in their forums as I told them pretty clear that they can not kidding me and believe that I give them another money for anything. I referenced to the beta here and told them that Serato is world class in customer communication and involvement and I will give 1500Euro this direction.

Guess what happened....a lot of guys jumped on this thread. 612 replies and 30.858 views!!!!!

Now Native Instruments started after 5 years of absence a new bety project for 2.7.2.

What shit heads :)

If you are unhappy with SDJ, you could test MixVibes for example as well. Seems to be on a good way.
BUT: I have clear to say: MixVibes, Virtual DJ....you will not have the high end candy that SDJ offers.
Pitch´nTime (best master tempo EVER had)
izotope effects (I heard the effects in Virtual DJ...my god. TERRIBLE. sound quality is so bad, I would never ever use them in public.)

Sorry for the long text, but I liked to point out that I´m not bashing you!
I just received a heart attack as you wrote that what Serato delievered and what SDJ is right now would be a joke.
If you came from the other side of the river...looks pretty strange :)
OF COURSE SDJ is not perfect. No software will ever be perfect....but: they are on a good way. As mentioned: with 1.7.2 I had so far no single issue.
kebzer 9:33 PM - 4 January, 2015
SDJ most definitely is not perfect yet. And for all turntablists out there, it was actually a step backwards from the SSL standard.

But I can most definitely confirm (among others) that Serato is listening. I've been crying in this forum since 1.6.3 to fix the DVS hiccups. Not perfect yet, but for sure they hear us and try their part.

I can imagine the magnitude of such a fix, yet they delivered 5 updates within a year, each better than the previous. That's something no other company can outperform right now, hands down.
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:28 PM - 4 January, 2015
this is where i have no time for the bullshit excuses from serato,

in their own words "sdj will be built from the ground up to be a more robust platform"

youtu.be

but what i find funny is dvs wasn't part of the original plan from what I can gather or it would have been available from the first release of sdj, sdj was brought out to get out of a contract or avoid license issues with rane, I think itch was scratched becuase it used too much of the old ssl code and to avoid future issues thats why they started again, and from what i'm seeing the foundation wasn't great to begin with,

a lot of companies are releasing half arsed products these days and then patch them on the fly, rather then release it when its ready
DJ Demolition 12:37 AM - 5 January, 2015
Quote:
a lot of companies are releasing half arsed products these days and then patch them on the fly, rather then release it when its ready

Exactly.

What I've been saying all along... this is still just beta software. It's getting better all the time, and if they ever get it right, I suppose it'll be great. But it's not there yet, and def not worthy of all the hype they publish about it.

And take my Stanton SCS-1Ds as a perfect example of what you're saying here... I bought four of those "Flagship Controllers" when they first hit the market. Cost me over three grand... And although I love the concept, they've never been anything but trouble. No way you could ever depend on them to make it through a serious gig.

Stanton doesn't even sell them anymore... but go look at their website, and you will see that they still promote them as if they were actually available, and the best controllers ever made. These corporate people think us "consumers" are all idiots. They think we will believe anything they say.
DJ Demolition 1:11 AM - 5 January, 2015
Quote:
99% of the customers claims since 5 (!!!) years that a flexible beat grid is needed as the static solution from Traktor makes it impossible to grid a few tracks properly.

Right... that's their worst drawback. That, and the lack of any kind of beat-matching display. But on the other hand, they've always had great effects, and excellent pitch lock. Other companies are only now starting to catch up in that regard.

Quote:
If you are unhappy with SDJ, you could test MixVibes for example as well. Seems to be on a good way.
BUT: I have clear to say: MixVibes, Virtual DJ....you will not have the high end candy that SDJ offers.
Pitch´nTime (best master tempo EVER had)
izotope effects (I heard the effects in Virtual DJ...my god. TERRIBLE. sound quality is so bad, I would never ever use them in public.)

I don't know... MixVibes is a pretty strong contender now. I like their effects (have you tried them?), and the pitch lock is easy to use and works great. Very natural and flexible, and unlike P&T, it comes at no extra charge. MV also will allow you to import your Traktor track libraries... cues, loops, and all. ...and, (unlike Traktor) it makes provision for flexible beatgridding.

I would agree with you about most of VDJ's FX, but I do love the "Beatgrid". ...simple but effective.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 1:22 AM - 5 January, 2015
The effect arguement with VDJ is pretty much null because you can use VST's and I'm sure you know some can cost hundreds of dollars, which shit on anything Serato or Traktor has.

Take illformed.com for example, imagine if you could use that in SSL or SDJ!!
DJ Remix Detroit 4:24 AM - 5 January, 2015
Quote:

yup... pretty much what i've been saying the entire time.
pdidy 5:20 AM - 5 January, 2015
Quote:
And take my Stanton SCS-1Ds as a perfect example of what you're saying here... I bought four of those "Flagship Controllers" when they first hit the market. Cost me over three grand... And although I love the concept, they've never been anything but trouble. No way you could ever depend on them to make it through a serious gig.

I'm not sure you realize what you're admitting to here....... You blindly trusted and purchased $3000 in new, unproven or tested gear based on marketing spiel, bells, whistles, hype and glitter......But then you go on to say

Quote:
These corporate people think us "consumers" are all idiots. They think we will believe anything they say.

Well according to your statement it seems that you fit the exact stereotype corporations want and need in a consumer.

Clearly there's an important lesson here you still have not learned. As a DJ and consumer it is your job to take responsibility for your actions, Business decisions and purchases. It is your job alone to determine if any product purchased for your business is up to standard. Failure to do so can only be blamed on one person, that's you.

But I am well aware that this mentality of Taking responsibility for your actions is frowned upon by some here.......
kebzer 7:21 AM - 5 January, 2015
Quote:
The effect arguement with VDJ is pretty much null because you can use VST's and I'm sure you know some can cost hundreds of dollars, which shit on anything Serato or Traktor has.

Good luck running third-party VSTs on a DVS platform, in real time.
DJ Remix Detroit 12:21 PM - 5 January, 2015
before 1.7.2 was released, I emailed serato about inquiring about a demo for the expansion packs kind of how there is a demo for Serato Video, and I was told that there was no demo available for the expansion packs; you have to buy them first and then if you don't like them or they aren't working up to par, then it's up to you to sell your license to someone else.

I really don't see why there can't be a timed demo for all of the plugins, that automatically deactivates itself and requires a person to either have to restart the SDJ, completely login or out of their profile or require you to restart your computer in order to reactivate the demo.

it seems to me that it would be the most honest and fair solution to give people a chance to make sure that their computers can handle the extra load of the expansion packs before they drop up to a couple hundred dollars on items they can't use. Especially when their Macs are wayyyyyyyy above recommended specs.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 12:42 PM - 5 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I do it all the time........
FabulousFrequencies 5:06 PM - 5 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I do it all the time........

I believe Deckadance offers this combination as well?
Mr. Goodkat 9:14 PM - 5 January, 2015
Quote:
I really don't see why there can't be a timed demo for all of the plugins, that automatically deactivates itself and requires a person to either have to restart the SDJ,

probably because it would waste time and keep their developers from doing other, more imporant things?

you guys gotta think that serato is not exxon or gm or apple. Clearly this is a fairly small company that does a niche product for djs.

there are limited amounts of time in the day and people coding for them to get work done.

some of you guys expectations are like asking a dj to work 50 gigs a week and then asking why they can't do more.
DJ Remix Detroit 10:04 PM - 5 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I really don't see why there can't be a timed demo for all of the plugins, that automatically deactivates itself and requires a person to either have to restart the SDJ,

probably because it would waste time and keep their developers from doing other, more imporant things?

you guys gotta think that serato is not exxon or gm or apple. Clearly this is a fairly small company that does a niche product for djs.

there are limited amounts of time in the day and people coding for them to get work done.

some of you guys expectations are like asking a dj to work 50 gigs a week and then asking why they can't do more.

waste time their time huh? Lol. here come the excuses.

Heres the thing though, if i try to take on 50 gigs a week and i clearly cant do it because im under staffed and cant handle the load, i dont just keep peoples money and tell them to find another dj or they are gonna have to push their event date back two weeks to accomodate my piss poor planning at improperly staffing my company.
Mr. Goodkat 1:18 AM - 6 January, 2015
but even at any level you can only do so much. people all the time have trouble finding good work to do very specialized jobs.

Even with djs, if i had 5 gigs tonite and had to find 4 guys with full setups and able to play several genres and were punctual and dressed well with good attitudes and werent giggin that night. i know probably 100 djs in my area, doesn't mean i can call up anyone to do a dj job.
DJ Demolition 2:29 AM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:
I'm not sure you realize what you're admitting to here....... You blindly trusted and purchased $3000 in new, unproven or tested gear based on marketing spiel, bells, whistles, hype and glitter............

I know exactly what I am "admitting" to. I also know the rest of the story, which in your haste to point the finger, you obviously failed to even consider... I only related enough to illustrate my point. I really didn't expect anyone here to be foolish enough to think that was the end of the affair...

Quote:
Failure to do so can only be blamed on one person, that's you.

Okay thanks, I'll make a note of that... If I need any more advice in the future, I'll let you know...
Mr. Goodkat 3:01 AM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure you realize what you're admitting to here....... You blindly trusted and purchased $3000 in new, unproven or tested gear based on marketing spiel, bells, whistles, hype and glitter............

I know exactly what I am "admitting" to. I also know the rest of the story, which in your haste to point the finger, you obviously failed to even consider... I only related enough to illustrate my point. I really didn't expect anyone here to be foolish enough to think that was the end of the affair...

its not even that. you bought some stanton gear. That in itself is a questionable decision from the jump.
DJ Demolition 3:29 AM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:
its not even that. you bought some stanton gear. That in itself is a questionable decision from the jump.

That's your opinion. I have always used Stanton needles on my TTs, with very good results. I have a couple of STR8-150s that I am very pleased with. I have a Stanton DJ headphone/microphone combo (my favorite) that I've been using for 15 years with no issues. And although they are unreliable for professional use, I still love my SCS-1Ds.

That is my experience, speak for yourself...
Mr. Goodkat 3:31 AM - 6 January, 2015
whatever works for you man. tons of people drive kias that work well for them everyday as well.
FabulousFrequencies 3:32 AM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:

Why so? I'd trust the SC-IX Firmware on the SCS.4DJ to get me through a gig way before i'd trust Serato DJ. And that only has a 500mhz SOC solution with 256MB of ram.

Yes, there are colored waveforms. (without artifacts or stuttering)
Yes, there are no library limitations. Plug in multiple drives if you like.
Yes, It doesn't crash. No, not even if you ghetto shake the shit out of it.
Yes, the headphone output is the loudest i've *ever* heard on a controller.
Yes, you can even watch a damn movie on the display when you're that bored.

It's not built like a tank, but you're not suppose to drive it into a battlefield. It was designed for, uh, performance stability and realistic needs in the field. Some cats feel that's important. I wouldn't write them off.
Mr. Goodkat 3:49 AM - 6 January, 2015
i just don't get why anyone would use any product that they don't have faith in.

thats why i use SDJ and not stanton.

im not even saying stanton is bad, i just know of 0 people that use their product and 0 clubs i have ever played in.

wait scratch that, somewhere around 04 my buddy tried final scratch at one spot for about a month. i know in the range of 100 djs and worked in round that many clubs.

and btw it was a joke, j/k, etc., et al.
FabulousFrequencies 4:02 AM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:

and btw it was a joke, j/k, etc., et al.

It's cool, man. I wasn't taking it personally just wondering where people come by the opinions they have of them. I, for one, wish they'd get with carbon contact rubberized buttons and alloy decks on all models. All that aside, most of their products take good approaches to functionality and stability. The SC-IX firmware team was all of 2 people deep IIRC and they pulled off nearly as many updates, fixes, and feature additions than Serato has.

I'm not sayin the grass is always greener, i'm just saying there are other lawns.
DJ Demolition 4:09 AM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:
I'm not sayin the grass is always greener, i'm just saying there are other lawns.

Ditto. Too many followers... not enough trailblazers.
DJ Demolition 4:15 AM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:
whatever works for you man. tons of people drive kias that work well for them everyday as well.

I reckon you lost me there... What do Stanton and Kia have in common?
Mr. Goodkat 4:26 AM - 6 January, 2015
stanton is kinda the kia of dj kit? even though kia may make fine car, most people would say honda or toyota is more reliable among asian car manufacturers. is it necessarily true or are their offerings that much better? probably not, but there is a history of success, more dealerships, more parts, more mechanics that service it, and a longer history of reliability and popularity that with kia in the U.S.

i know its great to blaze a trail. But the reason people use certain kinds of gear is not because of the craze doing triple orbit flairs on a z2 or james zabiela doing another 3.5 minute one man gangbang on a efx 1000, its because you also see it in clubs or places that you may not bring your gear too. therefore if you are playing in bigger clubs or are on the road or just need to share gear with other djs sometimes its easier and more appropriate to buy that brand. it also helps for resell value and servicing as well.
DJ Demolition 4:41 AM - 6 January, 2015
I always like to do my own thing, in my own way.

I keep two kinds of equipment, though. The old reliable, and the cutting edge experimental.

When I bought the SCS-1Ds, they were way ahead of anything else on the market ...conceptually, at least. I still love them for that reason.
nik39 12:21 PM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Failure to do so can only be blamed on one person, that's you.

Okay thanks, I'll make a note of that... If I need any more advice in the future, I'll let you know...

Whoa, wait... you haven't read pdidy's bible of how to fix Serato-problems??

serato.com

It's your fault, clearly. Software crash? YOUR entire fault.

*end of sarcasm*
pdidy 6:39 PM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:
Whoa, wait... you haven't read pdidy's bible of how to fix Serato-problems??

serato.com

*end of sarcasm*

To be as smart as you are, your reading comprehension totally sucks balls or maybe it's because English is your second language. Or maybe you're just lying because you hate the points that I make. But thanks for the link I think it does apply to this thread.
LargeFarva 7:12 PM - 6 January, 2015
Serato DJ is $100. I've spent maybe $250 total on all the expansions along the way. I've never worked with a professional level software suite, which Serato is close to, for as cheap as it is. Even Microsoft Office 365, far from a professional software suite, is more expensive.

I'm a user gladly willing to pay another $100-200 per year for "license renewal", as that's much more in line for professional software, with a different level of expectation. But that's something a lot of users probably aren't willing to pay for.
nik39 2:15 AM - 7 January, 2015
Quote:
To be as smart as you are, your reading comprehension totally sucks balls or maybe it's because English is your second language. Or maybe you're just lying because you hate the points that I make. But thanks for the link I think it does apply to this thread.

That line must have been very difficult for you to understand:

Quote:
*end of sarcasm*
DJ Demolition 2:44 AM - 7 January, 2015
Quote:

LOL Yeah, guess it's about time I turned over a new leaf... Like the man said... we're all just gonna have to grow up and learn to take responsibility for our own actions. ...word! ;)
DJ Demolition 2:50 AM - 7 January, 2015
Quote:
I'm a user gladly willing to pay another $100-200 per year for "license renewal", as that's much more in line for professional software, with a different level of expectation.

That's what I been saying all along. Just give me what I want, and I'll gladly pay for that. No problem. But it falls on deaf ears.
pdidy 3:30 AM - 7 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

LOL Yeah, guess it's about time I turned over a new leaf... Like the man said... we're all just gonna have to grow up and learn to take responsibility for our own actions. ...word! ;)

It truly pisses nik off whenever I say that. Lol
Mr. Goodkat 3:32 AM - 7 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I'm a user gladly willing to pay another $100-200 per year for "license renewal", as that's much more in line for professional software, with a different level of expectation.

That's what I been saying all along. Just give me what I want, and I'll gladly pay for that. No problem. But it falls on deaf ears.

again, microsoft or apple are different companies than serato.
Heltino 7:42 AM - 7 January, 2015
Quote:

and are fighting similar problems.
I´m working since 12 years within IT....trust me:
software is by definition (!) not perfect.
It´s just impossible to create a software without a bug if the software must run on different hardwares and in combination with different OS (patch level...), different third partie software and last not least with different useres that can do, due to the different hardware, as well different workflows.

in a nutshell:
creating a document in MS word is not comparable with creating a mix in Serato.
and even MS word has bugs ;)
nik39 12:44 PM - 7 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It truly pisses nik off whenever I say that. Lol

Not at all, because everytime you say that you just prove one more time how ridiculous your point of view is. Go ahead :)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Their issues can be user error, malfunctioning hardware or inadequate computer specs.....the list goes on.

Full of ignorance. Sad.

Hey Nik, care to explain what it is you feel is "Full of ignorance" ?

Sure. Even when you say "the list goes on" it is so obvious that you always seem to blame the user first. The items you listed clearly indicated "doh, its YOUR fault, not Serato's".

There are many, many posts on this forum where you first blame the user, before even thinking of who is actually responsible for crashes and such - the manufacturer of the software. Just scroll up to your first post in this thread: It's a link to one of most useless threads on this forum "It's your fault if Serato's sofware crashes".

No, it's not!

Any customer who paid top notch money for Serato's product has the right to expect top notch quality. If they do not receive the best quality, it is their damned right to complain on Serato's forum. They can expect the softare not to crash! Yes! If I need to test everything from scratch [no pun intended ;)] then I could code a sofware by myself, or use a cheaper or even free solution. The reason a customer is happy to pay top notch dollar is because they expect the software to work as advertised.

Any crash is one crash too much. And it is Serato's task to narrow down the issues of the crashes. And you, pdidy, try to belittle those people who're doing us all a favor - they spend their free time to post about their problems and crashes on this forum, so we all can benefit. You try to shut them down with your ignorant posts, thinking that you're doing anyone a favor. No! You're not even doing Serato a favor! Because they need to know about the problems, so that they can fix it. For us. And --- for them!

Happy customer - returning customer.
LargeFarva 3:20 PM - 7 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

in a nutshell:
creating a document in MS word is not comparable with creating a mix in Serato.
and even MS word has bugs ;)

No one is claiming they are. The point of the analogy isn't to compare software architecture or the nature of either company. They are all subject to the laws of economics.

We have people on here claiming they paid "top notch" money for software, when in reality, they paid a $100. That's it. $100 for software that never expires, gets updates for two major OS platforms, and lots of free enhancements. If we want faster, more stable releases, then we're going to have to pony up and pay more than a one time $100 fee.
djcrap 8:35 PM - 7 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

That line must have been very difficult for you to understand:

Quote:
*end of sarcasm*
[/M

Now makes sense the reason serato decided to make all support tickets private. I think it was the fun boys who keeped on jumping in every thread blaming users that its their fault a or b is not working. Serato just got tired of the fanboism and moved the tickets from being public to private.

Smsh fanboys ruined it for every one else ( all the fanboys know them selves) end of sarcasm
pdidy 8:45 PM - 7 January, 2015
Somebody need a snickers yall know how you get when ya hungry....lol
Mr. Goodkat 9:33 PM - 7 January, 2015
dj fanboi - making trap and jersey club somewhere in the universe.
DJ Demolition 12:24 AM - 15 February, 2015
Quote:
If I need to test everything from scratch [no pun intended ;)] then I could code a sofware by myself, or use a cheaper or even free solution. The reason a customer is happy to pay top notch dollar is because they expect the software to work as advertised.

Just reading back through this post... You know, its not as if we really paid THAT much... but still you made an exellent point. If it worked as good as they claimed, I sure wouldn't be complaining!
Heltino 1:05 AM - 15 February, 2015
I know ONE solution that works exactly and 100% as expected all the time.
that is called 1210 with vinyl.

Each software has it´s bugs and there is always room for improvement.

But what I think is pretty simple:

the software approach itself gives us MUCH MUCH more options as we had in the past. I LOVE THAT.

the back point is that you are never 100% secure for issues.

But if I look under the line:

It works for me so muchmore inspiring as it was in the good old times, I would never wish to go back and loose options that I have today.

SDJ is of course not perfect, but I came from Traktor and I can just state the following out:
Serato is MUCH different. These guys are listening to their clients, Native Instruments goes an arrogant way of "#future of bullshit" and don´t give a monkey on their own clients.
Complains are ignored, the support is a nightmare and since 2012 there was no real countable step forward with the software.
On top there is NO, ABSOLUTLY NO, hardware to take serious available. Own chinese plastic stuff....eat or die.

So, yes, Serato has their homework to do, out of question.
But they are much ahead of what I´ve expired with NI.

So still: If SDJ is "a joke" feel free to fail terrible worst somewhere else.

What I see, indeed, is that Pioneer seems to develop their RecordBox system to a real software solution more and more. Its not only anymore a "preparing tracks tool"...
Here Serato will get competition, that is for sure. NI is, sorry, already stone dead. Digging your own grave is a like to like description in what NI does since 2 years.

just my points...
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:19 PM - 15 February, 2015
my problem is them replacing their flagship software with sub par software that was built from the ground up around controllers and not dvs,

where as the former was built from the ground up around dvs and controllers second
Heltino 5:35 PM - 15 February, 2015
that is for some "a problem" and for Serato proberbly a strategie.

What I see here in Germany is that DVS is no longer the most used stuff.
More and more clubs do no longer have turnies, more and more club DJs are using the CDJ as controller for the software.
Mobile DJs, as I am, are no longer willing to carry turnies and stuff to the gigs as it is just not needed for the gig. (and, my experience, it is as well too large for the room you´ll find on the location. it´s just "awesom" how many room the guys are reserving for the DJ. you are hired to bring all fancy stuff in the world, light, sound, 18 million mics, two different sound areas....whatever...and they give you a corner that is 2 meters wide and 1 meter deep. PERFECT)

So setting the prio to the controllers can be a valid strategy for Serato.

But this is different in most countries and markets...so I understand the complain, but see as well the reason.
Davideon 6:18 PM - 15 February, 2015
Quote:
my problem is them replacing their flagship software with sub par software that was built from the ground up around controllers and not dvs,

where as the former was built from the ground up around dvs and controllers second

But in 2002 controllers weren't around like now.
Heltino 7:38 PM - 15 February, 2015
yes. in 1979 even CDs was not available :)

My personal opinion is that DVS is more and more for a very special group of DJs.
Hip Hop guys and oldschool guys.
For the rest I see no need at all.

I personally gain just nothing out of this. (except the fact that my beloved 1210s are next to me)
maarawoe 9:37 PM - 15 February, 2015
Shut up jerks - I am using Traktor.... You know nothing about crashing software, lacking any optimisation or supporting lossless.... Serato made huge progress last months/years and not one persone would kill to be able to swap his traktor for serato... Period.
Heltino 9:39 PM - 15 February, 2015
I do.
Moved after 7 years of Traktor to SDJ in 10/2014 :D

the worst shit with Traktor is the behavior of NI.
ARROGANT AND IGNORING 100% OWN CLIENTS.
maarawoe 9:51 PM - 15 February, 2015
Quote:
I do.

Yup... The best on the NI is their forum - its a great place for NI customers to request a feature. Afterwards, the Serato developers implement this feature to the Serato and NI customers got nothing. Only bugs... When using Serato, I was never afraid to use beta - when using Traktor, I am scared to install the official update as it usually renders the application less stable (significantly less...) and loosing some features (due to the bugs).
If the original poster feels that he would be more happy with Traktor, please PM me your address and I will send you my A6 and licenses in exchange for your serato soundcard....and I will pay the postage and will be more than happy.... :-D
Heltino 1:04 AM - 16 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I do.

Yup... The best on the NI is their forum - its a great place for NI customers to request a feature. Afterwards, the Serato developers implement this feature to the Serato and NI customers got nothing. Only bugs... When using Serato, I was never afraid to use beta - when using Traktor, I am scared to install the official update as it usually renders the application less stable (significantly less...) and loosing some features (due to the bugs).
If the original poster feels that he would be more happy with Traktor, please PM me your address and I will send you my A6 and licenses in exchange for your serato soundcard....and I will pay the postage and will be more than happy.... :-D

LOL...to go the Metallica way:
SAD BUT TRUE.

I have no idea why NI stopped any work with Pioneer, Numark or Denon....
I have no idea why these guys gave us nothing since 2012 in regards to a software update countable
I habe no idea why they made an S8 as ONLY new shit since years that is 100% dedicated to EDM/QUANTIZED/SYNC Guys and useless for the rest of the world.

My biggest problem is why guys here are complaining so hard as Serato made/make a real cool job.
Software is never perfect, but I can just tell you:
5 month within serato gave me more respect and response as I´ve reveived in 7 years of Traktor.

My personal guess:
If NI continues to go that way of marketing and strategy, they are dead latest end of 2016.
That just can´t work at all.
Considering they have total nothing, software is nearly unchanged since 2012, hardware is the very special S8 and nothing else, 2016 is a optimized thinking. depending on the credit line of their bank might be realistic, I believe they are digging their own crave and they are terrible good in this.
DJ Demolition 3:56 AM - 16 February, 2015
Guys... you do know there are other software vendors out there other than Serato and NI?

I became so desperate, that I fell back on my old VDJ license. I'm using VDJ8 with my Twitch now, and it sounds fantastic. (SDJ won't work at all: serato.com , and I don't think they intend to fix it)

It's rock solid. I've been running it for three weeks straight, with no issues at all... even more reliable than Itch. And (the biggest plus for me) it's totally configurable, if you can do your own programming. I'm running four channels through this little two channel controller, and it's working so great.... I feel like a kid on Christmas morning!
blackavenger 5:22 AM - 16 February, 2015
I just bought an SX2, upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion, and have not been happier w' SeratoDJ than I am right now. Everything is working flawlessly (well, except FLAC artwork, hehe). I'm running PnT & Flip w' USB buffer set to one 1ms, and the CPU is running tiptop!!

::crossing my fingers that it stays this way::
Mr. Goodkat 12:39 AM - 17 February, 2015
Quote:
(well, except FLAC artwork, hehe).
blackavenger 12:46 AM - 17 February, 2015
I put that comment in there especially for you, Mr. Goodkat ;-)
DJ Demolition 6:50 AM - 18 February, 2015
Quote:
I just bought an SX2

Well, that's probably the safest bet. It's a little cramped, and looks a little like a bedroom toy, but the jog wheels feel really slick, and you can always buy the DVS add-on and flank it with 1200s if you need an impressive setup.

SDJ does work pretty well with that unit, but so will all the other vendors softwares. It seems to be the universal favorite in that respect.
blackavenger 12:21 PM - 18 February, 2015
Yeah, you know how I feel about the SX(2), Demolition, but there didn't appear to be any other choice at this moment in time :-/ I am still waiting on a truly "professional" controller to be released by someone!!

Regardless, the SX2 is running really good! Everything functions as it should. Plus it was really cheap. I couldn't pass up the deal I got. I got the SX2, a UDG Softcase, and an Odyssey Black Label hardcase for $1,050.00!!
DJ Demolition 2:30 AM - 19 February, 2015
Yes, you definitely made the most practical move.
LargeFarva 8:00 PM - 19 February, 2015
Quote:

I honestly don't see why this matters. On a 62 and just two turntables, SDJ is every bit as functional as SL once your system is sorted. Granted, it's a bit less turnkey than SL as far as just downloading and playing, but there isn't any function SDJ lacks or makes more clumsy that SL had for me.