Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Mapping for Novation Launchpad

MisterFred 5:42 PM - 23 December, 2014
I have created a mapping for mixing with Serato Dj 1.7.2. I use this configuration with AKAI LDP8 for FX and Denon DN-HC1000S.

maps.djtechtools.com
N.Dee. Rick 12:43 PM - 24 December, 2014
Hi, great job. I am using the Launchpad aswell but with a different layout. Did you manage to light up the pads even when they are not activated? Loops or Sp-6 player green when not activated and red when activated for example. I had sucess with this on my Win PC by modifying the .xlm file. But this does not work on my Mac though the file looks exactly the same.
MisterFred 5:08 PM - 26 December, 2014
Thanks! I haven't try this setup but I think that it's possible because on xml file is present the value "on" ad "off" of the button. I used the values present on the manual of launchpad for the colors: global.novationmusic.com adn the suggestions of this link serato.com
N.Dee. Rick 9:53 PM - 26 December, 2014
Yes, thanks, i know very well the reference guide from novation and got the pads light up in every colour but when the function in sdj is turn off, the pad does never is off as well even when i tell 15 for green or whatever. As i said on my win pc it works but not on my mac... So is there someone out there who has a solution like shown in scratch live?!
N.Dee. Rick 1:06 PM - 31 December, 2014
Hi, for those who are interested in. I solved my issue and loaded up the mapping at DJ Techtools. All buttons light up in different colours even when not activated.

maps.djtechtools.com

This is a Launchpad layout for Serato DJ. It provides the main functions like cues, loops, SP-6 sampler and some others.
The special feature in this layout is the colour of the buttons. The light up in different colours when activated and not activated. This feature does not come automatically when the midi function or midi output lighting in Serato DJ is programmed or activated. So you will now find all the buttons you need even in dark clubs. The loops for example turn from green into orange when activated. The SP-6 slot are red when not active and turn green as long as the sample plays.
You will find a plan with details of the layout in the image file. Have fun.
Frozone 9:33 PM - 31 December, 2014
Great work, I've been experimenting and trying without any luck to get my launchpad s to display different colours. I just have a quick question, can the Launchpad pads display more than just red - green - orange - yellow colours? If so how can I edit your file to change the colours? Thank you in advance for any assistance.
N.Dee. Rick 5:20 PM - 3 January, 2015
Hi,
This is a short tutorial for advanced midi mapping in SERATO DJ. First I want ensure that everybody understands that this is not an official feature and may cause issues with your program. It works fine for me and maybe someone else can take advantage of it so I decided to post it here.
This will give you the opportunity to light up the buttons of your controller in different colours even when not activated and change the colours when pressed.
I want to show this with an example because I think this is the easiest way.
This is the .xml code for an auto loop with a specific length of 2. You can open and edit .xml files with Text Wrangler for example and you will find those lines:

<control channel="1" event_type="Note On" control="64">
<userio event="click">
<auto_loop_specific_length deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="6">
<translation action_on="any" behaviour="explicit" />
</auto_loop_specific_length>
</userio>
<userio event="output">
<auto_loop_specific_length deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="6">
<translation action_on="any">
<alias name="selected" value="0" />
<alias name="on" value="127" />
<alias name="off" value="0" />
</translation>
</auto_loop_specific_length>
</userio>
</control>

For the explanation I want to focus only on the numbers and I will go through them one after the other. This is again what I think the numbers mean and not something official. Further this example has been made with a Novation Launchpad. Other 3rd party controllers may work slightly different.

“1” is the midi channel you controller uses.
“64” is the CC message your controller sends when you push a specific button
“6” is the specific slot in the software. Every function in SDJ which has a midi function has its own slot id.

The interesting part is now the output section. It defines how your controller will light up.
“0” means light off
“127” mean light on (for Launchpad that means colour amber)

If you now replace those numbers with the individual commands of your controller the pads will light up in different colours. Instead of 0 (light off) I want to use 60 (green full).

<alias name="selected" value="60" /> GREEN
<alias name="on" value="15" /> RED
<alias name="off" value="60" /> GREEN

With this setup the autoloop Button on the Launchpad will be green if not activated and red when pushed.
Some midi functions such as SP-6 slots have only 2 lines that say <alias name=….> so you only have to change those lines if you want different colours.

The colour codes for the Launchpad are

13 red low
15 red full
29 amber low
63 amber full
28 green low
60 green full

The Launchpad can only provide those colours. It is possible to mix them up a bit with other codes but you have to find that out by try and error.

I hope that helps.
Frozone 5:31 AM - 4 January, 2015
Great explanation, thank you!
MisterFred 10:04 PM - 7 January, 2015
Great job N.Dee. Rick!!
dj_foo 4:31 PM - 13 January, 2015
On this subject I could really use some help...

I know how to select the keys and map the buttons but I cant fathom how to do the lights.

I have the following idea for how to map my launchpad to assist me just adding auto loops and lengthening/shortening them.

What I'd like is to be able to have the chosen pads orange when not active, and green when active. But I am no good at actually writing the codes etc. Can anyone help?

drive.google.com
N.Dee. Rick 5:33 PM - 14 January, 2015
Hi, have you tried to understand the explanation(tutorial) above? You can find the colour codes there and the lines in the xml file you have to modify...
dj_foo 5:39 PM - 14 January, 2015
Quote:
Hi, have you tried to understand the explanation(tutorial) above? You can find the colour codes there and the lines in the xml file you have to modify...

Hi, yeah I read it but my understanding of computer code is a bit lacking to say the least...

Nevertheless I will spend some time reading it again tomorrow when I have time and see if I can understand it. Thanks for the explanation though.

I guess I just need to find the .xml file for each button I have mapped and edit each one with a different value for the "off" line to the colour I want?

Re reading it as I type, it actually makes sense... But where do I find the .xml files?
dj_foo 8:17 AM - 15 January, 2015
I think I understand it now, but I cant find the file anywhere, as I dont know the file name.

If you can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

I'm using a mac

Thanks
N.Dee. Rick 9:41 PM - 15 January, 2015
I am on vacation... Should be: music>_serato_>midi>xlm
XRM5 12:00 PM - 13 June, 2015
N.Dee. Rick, did you have to figure the scripting/coding side of MIDI mapping out by trial & error, or is there any kind of documentation anywhere (official or not)?

With the RGB launchpads coming out I want to get a really good custom mapping together for them, but I'd like to have a better idea of what's possible.