Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

OutPut Level problems

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
frenchinlondon 10:50 AM - 18 April, 2009
Hi Guys,

I have had my TTM57 for 2 yrs, but had to leave for the last 18months (work) so it stayed there unused.

Now i am back got everything cleaned and set up again but i have a major issue: When i left everything used to be very good, now i have a very low output level : basically have to put output level at 10 + very high gains to get the same output level as my CD player

Anyone has the same sort of problem?

Hope someone can help

Thanks in advance
deepdjdanny 3:23 PM - 19 April, 2009
firmware update?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 1:03 AM - 20 April, 2009
Hi frenchinlondon.
Are you using turntables with the 57?
Are your input selectors set to Line or Phono on the back of the mixer?

What version of Scratch Live are you using?
Try downloading the latest version as well (1.8.3):
www.serato.com

Are you able to run the CD player through the 57 play through the Aux In and see if the low gain is still there on the mixer outputs?
frenchinlondon 4:47 PM - 20 April, 2009
I am using turntables with the TTM.

I have reinitialized my set up, downloaded the latest soft and firmwares...

Below are links to pictures of my dipswitches, and scopes. They look good to me, maybe am I mistaking...

www.flickr.com
www.flickr.com

on the above, is it normal to have one scope circle bigger than the other ? I feel like there were similar the first time i've set up my mixer...

www.flickr.com

Also the last photo shows how i set my input switches: If i put them both to D1, I can't pick up PGM2 anymore + the PGM2 fader has an efect on the sound from PGM1, i.e. if i put it to 0 there is no sound anymore and if i put it to the max the sound is overall louder...

I haven't tried pluging the CD player in the mixer though, will try today.

Tks in advance for help
omar1mjfan 4:51 PM - 20 April, 2009
I think I have the same problem... I think lol I JUST got all my things, turntables, mixer, Serato AND a new laptop...But when I connected everything, it sounds really horrible :/ The noise sounds distorted and stuff... I've calibriated and re-calibirtated... idk what to do :/
frenchinlondon 5:52 PM - 20 April, 2009
I have just tried the CD player in AUX and here too the output is very low.

I need to use AuxIn and Main both at 8 (3 o'clock) to get the same output level as the player directly in the amp.

So it's not coming from the turntables either i guess.

(Note that I do have a good sound though, just low.... so different prob to omar)

Hope you can help with that and the other problems explained above.

Best....
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 10:32 PM - 20 April, 2009
frehcninlondon.

If you plug this mixer into your CD input in your amp and swapped the inputs around, do you find that the volume of the 57 is now louder, or stays quiet.

Setup looks good (cheers).
The differing scope size might be due to better or newer needles or carts. Maybe one is more worn if they are the same?

I'll get the Rane guys to help out here, think they'll be able to offer some light on the problem :D
frenchinlondon 10:38 PM - 20 April, 2009
I did actually try to plug thr mixer in the same input that the on of the CD player... but i still have a volume difference.

Hope the Rane guys can help!
Rane, Support
Shaun W 10:53 PM - 20 April, 2009
What kind of CD decks are you using?

The setup screen pic shows the control source for Deck A is 1 and Deck B is 4, have you since switched your CD decks to inputs 1 and 3?

If you close SSL, do you get the same output levels when playing normal CD or vinyl?

What outputs of the TTM 57SL are you using?

What other gear are the TTM 57SL outputs connected to?
frenchinlondon 8:59 PM - 21 April, 2009
I am using a Rotel CD player and have tried the same with the PS3.

I have tried changing the input from source 3 to source 4 and see if it would change anything, but no... taht's why the picture shows source 4 on DeckB.

When SSL is closed the output level stays the same (have to push the main output to 8 to get same level as teh CD player)

I use the 2 Mains plugged directly to my amp, nothing else...
Rane, Support
Shaun W 10:32 PM - 21 April, 2009
Where are both TTM 57SL gain knobs adjusted when playing a track?
nobspangle 6:06 PM - 23 April, 2009
I notice from your pics that you are using the XLR outputs. Don't forget these are balanced outputs at a lower level than is used in a lot of gear. What kind of amp are you using and what inputs do you have on that amp?
If the inputs on the amp are unbalanced you should use the AUX out on the mixer rather than the main or booth.
frenchinlondon 9:15 PM - 23 April, 2009
I have gain knobs at 12 o'clock and main above 3o'clock to get the same volume... What should it normally be?

I am using a Sony STR-DG820 amplifier.

I haven't got the right cables to try to use the AUX out... but that sounds weird, does everyone use the FlexFX out to their amps?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 9:17 PM - 23 April, 2009
Quote:
I notice from your pics that you are using the XLR outputs. Don't forget these are balanced outputs at a lower level than is used in a lot of gear. What kind of amp are you using and what inputs do you have on that amp?
If the inputs on the amp are unbalanced you should use the AUX out on the mixer rather than the main or booth.

Good point nobspangle. Connecting a balanced output to a unbalanced input can result in a -6dB drop in level, which is about half of your output level.
J Studda 10:00 PM - 23 April, 2009
What is an unbalanced and a balanced connection anyway?
djdam 10:08 PM - 23 April, 2009
I am also having Output Problems with my TTM 57 Mixer
nobspangle 10:43 PM - 23 April, 2009
Quote:
I am using a Sony STR-DG820 amplifier.

With that amp you should use the AUX out and a standard RCA-RCA cable
Quote:
I haven't got the right cables to try to use the AUX out... but that sounds weird, does everyone use the FlexFX out to their amps?

Not the FlexFX, but the AUX out, that's the RCA output.

Quote:
What is an unbalanced and a balanced connection anyway?

Unbalanced connection create a basic electrical circuit between the mixer and the amp it works well for short cable runs. In an unbalanced connection there are two wires, signal and ground.
Balanced connections use two wires to carry the signal, hot and cold and a third wire to carry the ground. The signal is the measured difference in potential between the hot and cold leads. The hot and cold wires are twisted together in the cable so that any interference picked up on one is picked up equally on the other, the difference remains the same and the noise is cancelled out. Balanced connection are pretty much vital for long cable runs, anything more than about 10 feet.
The other advantage of a balanced line is that it allows for the supply of phantom power for microphone preamps and DI boxes.
There's a bit more info on wikipedia => en.wikipedia.org
frenchinlondon 7:01 AM - 24 April, 2009
Ok I will definitely try then.

In the mean time, i actually use about 11 feet of cables to go to my amp > What would i need to do to keep the unbalanced set up but have the proper output level?

Does that mean having a pre-amp somewhere?

(sorry for the ignorance)
nobspangle 7:09 AM - 24 April, 2009
To carry on using the balanced cables you would need some kind of matching transformer at the amp end, since your cables are only 11 foot long, I wouldn't worry too much about it, just make sure you are using a good quality cable with a decent screen and that you are not running it too near any sources of interference and it will be fine.
frenchinlondon 7:27 AM - 24 April, 2009
OK...

Actually I may take something more around 15ft if i were to change cables (so that it doesn't pass in between my feet), but here again i am sure that with a good quality cable it shouldn't matter too much...

Ultimate questions:
- The way it is set up now, do i actually really use the fact that the cable is balanced, or is it that with this amp it is unbalanced anyway and i am just losing gain with these cables?
- What if i kept the set up that way and pushed the output level up? Does that make a difference to my sound?

Ah... i am looking forward to the day i can use, with SL, the fact that my amp is HDMI... needn't to worry anymore about all that :)

Thanks for your help nobspangle
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:32 PM - 24 April, 2009
Quote:
Ultimate questions:
- The way it is set up now, do i actually really use the fact that the cable is balanced, or is it that with this amp it is unbalanced anyway and i am just losing gain with these cables?

The absolute right way to connect balanced outputs to unbalanced inputs, as nobspangle posted above, is to use a line transformer. For example, the Rane BB 22 -->> rane.com

OR

Simply use the unbalanced RCA AUX output :)

Quote:
- What if i kept the set up that way and pushed the output level up? Does that make a difference to my sound?

Increasing the output level by turning up the Master level control is fine. Besides using a line transformer, increasing the output level is your only option when using the balanced outputs.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:35 PM - 24 April, 2009
For more, ultra detailed, information about sound system interconnections, feel free to peruse the RaneNote article -->> RaneNote 110 Sound System Interconnection -->> rane.com
frenchinlondon 11:36 AM - 26 April, 2009
Thanks guys