DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Mark Ronson - Uptown Funk ft. Bruno Mars

beta one 8:05 PM - 15 December, 2014
Am I nuts.. or is the bassline and kick one of the sweetest and gut-punching kicks out there?

That production is TIGHT!

This track sounded BONKERS when I dropped it at a gig last night. (2 Yorkville NX-55p + 1 LS-720 sub)

just sayin'.
dj jamalot 10:46 PM - 15 December, 2014
That track goes over well out west Too... Kinda Prince ish...
Mr. Goodkat 11:02 PM - 15 December, 2014
sound is kinda dead where im at. woulda been great for summer of 2013.
dj jamalot 11:09 PM - 15 December, 2014
Wow tuff crowd huh...
DJMark 11:14 PM - 15 December, 2014
It's gotten a great response from the first time I played it. Reminds me more of The Gap Band than Prince though. And yes very well-produced/engineered.
Mr. Goodkat 11:17 PM - 15 December, 2014
where y'all playing it at? like open format gigs or mobiles?
jprime 11:18 PM - 15 December, 2014
Great throwback sound. Hope it doesn't gt overplayed too soon.
dj jamalot 11:37 PM - 15 December, 2014
open format for me.
DJMark 11:38 PM - 15 December, 2014
Quote:
where y'all playing it at? like open format gigs or mobiles?

I'm in a place where the format is mostly R&B and hip-hop, heavy on 1992-2005 stuff but with a good amount of newer stuff especially later in the evening. Target audience is late 20's-early 40's, though we get some of the better-behaved younger crowd as well.
beta one 11:54 PM - 15 December, 2014
I do corporate gigs/BBQs, jack/jills and weddings. Some top-40.. classic rock.. funk.. barely touch EDM stuff at these gigs. ... I play lots of throwback rnb as well.. 702, Missy, Motel Jordan.. stuff like that still lights up the dancefloor with my corporate crowds. Weirdest thing.. I played "twist and shout" by the beatles the other night for the first time in 20 years I think.. and they loved it. Crowds can be so different! I love it! It really IS about taking chances sometimes. This weekend was also the first time "September (remix) by Earth Wind and Fire" went over kinda MEH. Usually it gets people on the floor. Strange.. However.. I opened the dancing with MJ's "don't stop 'til you get enough" and rammed it up nice 'n proper though :) I love a good mix.
DJ Reflex 11:56 PM - 15 December, 2014
Great tune - played it at a wedding Sat night for a "classic rock" crowd... still great response!

Another hot track is Barbangerz remix of "That's The Way I Like It" KC & Sunshine Band.
slimmjimm 1:12 AM - 16 December, 2014
Still not primetime at the club, but late warmup it's working. Goes real well primetime at mobiles tho, (I've been doing mostly college stuff since it came out)

I think we passed the Nudisco, and went straight for Morris Day and The Time. I also feel that Stranger by Chris Malinchak kinda pre dated this, and didn't get the shine it deserved.

/rant
Mr. Goodkat 1:42 AM - 16 December, 2014
damn, i kinda quit listening to nu disco over the last year and hadn't heard that malinchek. pretty close, good spot.
MPC O.G. 4:15 AM - 16 December, 2014
D'Angelo new album dropped, it's around the same style and sound.
dj_soo 8:27 AM - 16 December, 2014
great, great tune.

Hope it explodes cause Mark Ronson is one of my favourite producers...
dj_soo 8:29 AM - 16 December, 2014
Dropped it at a full on underground bass music night on Saturday to a sold-out room and it went off - couldn't have been more different from the vibe of the night, but we made it work.
R-Tistic 10:22 AM - 16 December, 2014
Definitely a dope track. Has a strong Lakeside, One Way, even Zapp influence going on.

I do think it might be a bit hit or miss...I doubt it works with an under 25 all Hip Hop/R&B trendy crowd, and probably not with any EDM type crowds either. But any crowd that likes the 80's Funk that this was inspired by will love it. A lot of Pop crowds will dig it too. My 30+ crowd two weeks ago loved it on first listen...one lady started pop locking.
beta one 4:51 PM - 16 December, 2014
I love this discussion. Glad so many are chiming in!
DJ Remy USA 4:55 PM - 16 December, 2014
Track has been working for me. I like it so much it actually fits perfect with all those DJ Wood and Soo edits I have...lol. I love that funky type stuff I can cut all night to it nice and funky. I tagged Bruno Mars and Ronson on instagram post telling them its the dopest shit.

Its working at my Top 40 spots Im sure if any urban heads would rock to this. Dope song regardless
DJ Remy USA 4:56 PM - 16 December, 2014
Quote:
Great throwback sound. Hope it doesn't gt overplayed too soon.

It will just like blurred lines, by the way they mix so well together its actually got me playing blurred lines and some old funk tunes at the club now....at least for 10 minutes
DJ Remy USA 4:58 PM - 16 December, 2014
Quote:
Still not primetime at the club, but late warmup it's working. Goes real well primetime at mobiles tho, (I've been doing mostly college stuff since it came out)

I think we passed the Nudisco, and went straight for Morris Day and The Time. I also feel that Stranger by Chris Malinchak kinda pre dated this, and didn't get the shine it deserved.

/rant

thanks for the dig I learned a new artist
phonze 5:50 PM - 16 December, 2014
Played this at a christmas party, didn't really go off. It is on our local top 40 station though playing like crazy, so it was probably just the crowd. X-Mas parties can be lame sometimes, especially if it's on a Thursday night after work.
 6 8:50 PM - 16 December, 2014
Been playing this video the moment I got it. Great response from every from every age. Even did a wedding this past Saturday and kids were also dancing with the adults.

nm
BigWave DJ 11:26 PM - 16 December, 2014
I've been playing it on mobile gigs and the response has been solid. I have a couple of remix version that are pretty nice.
Certified Quality Entertainment 11:28 PM - 16 December, 2014
Played at a Sweet 16 last week. Went over real well!
Dj Wunder 8:07 AM - 19 December, 2014
Quote:
... I have a couple of remix version that are pretty nice.

Why?
DJ Remix Detroit 9:34 AM - 19 December, 2014
Quote:
and went straight for Morris Day and The Time.

this is exactly what crossed my mind when i first heard it...lol.
O.B.1 9:34 AM - 19 December, 2014
Personally I like it.
It's a good solid tune and even has real horns in it.
Crowds are starting to come around to it.
Also it's fun to mix with the acapella of "All Gold Everything" for a second or two. LOL
Laz219 2:03 PM - 19 December, 2014
This is on heavy rotation with the radio stations here (Australia) I quite like the sound. I'd much prefer it over the typical 'EDM' that has been non stop for forever now.
DJ Remy USA 3:58 PM - 19 December, 2014
Quote:
Personally I like it.
Also it's fun to mix with the acapella of "All Gold Everything" for a second or two. LOL

this right here, I love cutting it over blurred lines then quickly switching to uptown funk. You should try it loop pop the molly Im sweating over the blurred lines beat. Pop the molly Im sweating (robing thicke scream Hoooo) its dope af
Davideon 5:47 PM - 19 December, 2014
Fleur East sings Bruno Mars & Mark Ronson’s Uptow…: youtu.be

great track. One of the UK X factor finalists sung it and it was better than the original imho
Davideon 10:13 PM - 19 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Personally I like it.

this right here, I love cutting it over blurred lines then quickly switching to uptown funk. You should try it loop pop the molly Im sweating over the blurred lines beat. Pop the molly Im sweating (robing thicke scream Hoooo) its dope af

can you post the mix?
DJ Remy USA 10:17 PM - 19 December, 2014
Im trying to think if I have that set recorded already that I can post? But if not I will try to remember to do that routine this weekend and record it at least the audio.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Personally I like it.

can you post the mix?
Rebelguy 10:33 PM - 19 December, 2014
Quote:
great track. One of the UK X factor finalists sung it and it was better than the original imho

I will definitely have to disagree with you on that statement.
DJ SPAIR 8:51 AM - 22 December, 2014
Quote:
Am I nuts.. or is the bassline and kick one of the sweetest and gut-punching kicks out there?

That production is TIGHT!

This track sounded BONKERS when I dropped it at a gig last night. (2 Yorkville NX-55p + 1 LS-720 sub)

just sayin'.

I'm not 100% sure but I think Ronson records to tape. That's probably why it sounds so nice and phat.
dj_soo 4:29 PM - 22 December, 2014
Can't wait for the 200+ shitty remixes of this that comes out of which 1% might be decent but still not as good as the original.
djsmuve415 6:18 PM - 22 December, 2014
Quote:
Can't wait for the 200+ shitty remixes of this that comes out of which 1% might be decent but still not as good as the original.

yeah - where's the Trap remix? ugh.
Mr. Goodkat 10:58 PM - 22 December, 2014
i just can't feel it. its wack to me. its like a style thats not out enough to bring back in yet.

guess it is no 1 on the itunes pop chart though.

i can see why soo digs it, reminds me of some of those funky breaks records ala nick thayer bomb strikes, fort knox five,etc. To me that stuff is so unfunky but trying to be funky. it is big in the pacific northwest and lots of canada. cant fool people in the south though.
BIGG BEAR 7:04 AM - 24 December, 2014
Quote:

no no no and no again lol
dj_soo 9:26 AM - 24 December, 2014
Quote:
i just can't feel it. its wack to me. its like a style thats not out enough to bring back in yet.

guess it is no 1 on the itunes pop chart though.

i can see why soo digs it, reminds me of some of those funky breaks records ala nick thayer bomb strikes, fort knox five,etc. To me that stuff is so unfunky but trying to be funky. it is big in the pacific northwest and lots of canada. cant fool people in the south though.

ffft - white man's funk ftw.

Honestly tho, I don't really consider it "funk" per se, it's its own thing that bridges a bit between proper funk and electronic breakbeat.
Jensen Määäm 6:41 PM - 25 December, 2014
Love it since I've heard it the first time. I guess it will work for older folks, funk and soul lovers only, over here. But I do hope, I am wrong with my prediction, because I love it!
Laz219 12:15 PM - 27 December, 2014
Already starting to hear plenty of horrid remixes that just make it sound generic.
Joshua Carl 6:16 AM - 29 December, 2014
I'm a fan.
It slips nicely between a love bizarre and walk the dinosaur.

But it's in 3 different movie commercials
And on the radio every 2 minutes.

So... It will have a massive spike.
And then Everyone will be sick of it.
Thanks media!
DJ Remy USA 4:07 PM - 29 December, 2014
Quote:
I'm a fan.
It slips nicely between a love bizarre and walk the dinosaur.

But it's in 3 different movie commercials
And on the radio every 2 minutes.

So... It will have a massive spike.
And then Everyone will be sick of it.
Thanks media!

Yea that really sucks considering its one of the few commerical tracks I actually like, just like blurred lines I loved that track until the radio abused it.