Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Option to lock cue points, and change temporary cue to hot cue characteristics

DJ Demolition 5:30 AM - 15 December, 2014
(1) -- I would like the option to lock individual cue points (same as loop options). As, I sometimes delete important cues by accident when changing other cues during a mix. I'd like to lock the important ones, while leaving one or two others unlocked for temporary use. ...shouldn't be too hard to implement.

(2) -- More importantly, the functionality of the main cue button (temporary cue) bugs me, because if I forget and hit it while the track is stopped, it will annoyingly set a new cue in that new (incorrect) track position...

I would like the option to have the main cue maintain it's memory position (once set) until the track is unloaded. If one did need to change the cue position once set, ...it's no problem to hit the delete button first!

It might also be beneficial for some users, to include an additional option to change it's behavior to that of a standard hot cue. That way it would always be in the right position the next time the track was loaded.

As I say, the behavior of the cue as it is now, ...that is, losing it's place if accidentally pushed while a track is not playing, is a real nuisance to me. However, I'm sure some users actually like it that way, and they have a practical use for the current functionality. But, I'm very curious as to how one might indeed, effectively use the contemporary configuration in some constructive manner. Therefore, I'm interested in hearing from others on this issue.

Anyone..?
Davideon 8:55 PM - 15 December, 2014
1) like others you state that hot cues should be lockable. I really fail to see why this is necessary.you currently have to hold Shift+pad to delete a hot cue, and as such you only delete it if you make the effort. By default hot cues are locked!

2) practice makes perfect. I struggled initially with my sz but now it's natural
DJ Demolition 11:05 PM - 15 December, 2014
Thanks for the reply, ...but no, you don't get what I'm saying.

On certain tracks, I delete some hot cues and move them around while I'm in the mix. It's easy to delete the wrong cue, if you're not paying close attention.

If you don't mix that way, it would be hard for you to grasp what I'm saying. Also, not everyone has pads. I don't have "pads" on my V7s. The buttons are smaller & easier to get confused, location wise.
DJ Demolition 2:25 PM - 18 December, 2014
Bump... Anyone have an opinion on the temporary (main) cue button functionality?
DJ Demolition 2:12 PM - 22 December, 2014
Bump
DJ Demolition 2:05 AM - 31 December, 2014
Bump #3
dj_sarda 10:43 AM - 18 July, 2016
i have the same problem, i use a lot the temp cue button but i would like it to be in the place where i left it in the track.. it always goes back to the beginning, i think the only way of doing this is by editing the beatgrid..
DJ Ravien 12:16 PM - 18 July, 2016
I would like to see an option available to lock cues in a track, Multiple people use my setup and have had numerous occasions where I would place cue points in a track only to have some of them missing because someone else came along and deleted them by mistake.

Quote:
i have the same problem, i use a lot the temp cue button but i would like it to be in the place where i left it in the track.. it always goes back to the beginning, i think the only way of doing this is by editing the beatgrid..

The cue jumps back to the last place you set the cue, Not the beginning of the track. If you didn't place the cue and just used a hot cue then that's why it jumps to the start of the track. Hit the cue button where you want the track to jump too.
dj_sarda 1:38 PM - 18 July, 2016
I know, what i meant is that every time you restart serato, or re load the track, the cue point is at the beginning, but you can fix it editing the beatgrid and setting the start of the track where you want the cue to be.
DJ Ravien 1:41 PM - 18 July, 2016
Ah gotcha! Misunderstood what you were asking for. That would be helpful.

+1
dj_sarda 1:43 PM - 18 July, 2016
Quote:
Ah gotcha! Misunderstood what you were asking for. That would be helpful.

+1

No worry! I think the only way is the beatgrid...
Marv Incredible 2:57 PM - 18 July, 2016
Been asking for lockable cue points for years. Ya hear Serato?

Same reasons:
*To protect them from random other users (students, other DJs, my kids)

*To avoid accidental deletion with the mouse (there've been times I've gone to add a cue in slot 5-8 only to mis-hit and accidentally click the x on one of the 1-4 slots)

*To avoid accidental deletion via the pads (it can and does happen, though rarely)

I would like the option to lock them individually, but I'd equally like to be able to lock my cues by either a) making it part of the 'protect library feature' or b) making it an option when locking beatgrids.

Thank you

plus one
Marv Incredible 3:03 PM - 18 July, 2016
The only thing I'd add to this is the ability to lock or unlock a cue point via the hardware, eliminating the need to reach for the trackpad. Bit tricky with how to implement it though.

Maybe holding shift for 3 secs before pressing a cue pad would let the software know you want to lock and not delete a cue. Or better still, holding shift and pressing a cue pad deletes it as per the current behaviour, but it all depends on how quickly you let go of the pad.

Immediately or within 2 secs = cue point deletion. Anything longer than 3 secs = Lock. Lock or unlock to be determined on whether the cue was locked or unlocked in the first place.

Just an idea. =)
TriplThreat 11:56 PM - 28 December, 2016
PLEASE!
DJ Demolition 1:02 AM - 29 December, 2016
If the beginning of a track is truncated, (like, say it was ripped from a premixed CD, and the downbeat is missing), you cannot start the beatgrid where the downbeat would be... neither can you place your #1 cue there beyond where the beatgrid starts.

This is a big aggravation to me, because I have a lot of tracks like that.

Locking cues is something I've asked for before also, but Serato doesn't judge ideas on their relative merit. Only if there are a great many people screaming for it, or if one of the manufacturers wants it.

I've also asked for the option to switch the temporary cue to a "hotcue". For my use, it would be more practical.
Marv Incredible 4:49 PM - 23 January, 2017
Quote:
ripped from a premixed CD

Damn. I've heard of people doing this but I was hoping it was an urban myth. Damn. Really?
DJ Demolition 5:00 PM - 23 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
ripped from a premixed CD

Damn. I've heard of people doing this but I was hoping it was an urban myth. Damn. Really?

What..? Too many idiots on this board.
Marv Incredible 5:44 PM - 23 January, 2017
Hmm. You get your tunes by ripping them off of other DJ's mixes and I'm the idiot? Okay.
DJ Demolition 5:48 PM - 23 January, 2017
I didn't say you were an idiot, but I won't argue with your assessment.

I get my music however and wherever I can.
Marv Incredible 6:02 PM - 23 January, 2017
Quote:
I get my music however and wherever I can

Fair play. You must be one of them 'new breed' of DJ's I keep hearing about. Do your thing bro.
DJ Demolition 7:05 PM - 23 January, 2017
Lol...

I think you have the wrong idea. First of all, I'm not a "new" anything... I've been in the business for over forty years.

Second, these are not "some other dj's" CDs we are talking about. They are store bought compilations. The particular tracks in question, are twenty years old.
deejdave 4:55 AM - 12 February, 2017
I feel like I am watching "The Getdown" on Netflix here............