DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

So you want the MAC preformance but you're affraid to leave windows ?

pdidy 11:49 PM - 25 November, 2014
DON'T BE.....Because you can have the best of both worlds.

A lot of new users want all the benefits of djing with a mac but are not willing to totally give up the windows operating system because they're so accustomed to it. Mac solved that problem by allowing you to use both at the same time if you choose with no need to HACK your computer.....

The video is 20 min long but it should remove any reservations you had about leaving a window pc and switching to a mac...... Watchwww.youtube.com

The software used is called Parallels Desktop 10. There are other great options like bootcamp for running both windows and mac but we lose some integration features which may be appealing to some users.

BTW, this is not new and has been available on mac for many years.
Phuture2 12:57 AM - 26 November, 2014
very interesting pdidy. thanks
DJ Remix Detroit 1:15 AM - 26 November, 2014
Quote:
DON'T BE.....Because you can have the best of both worlds.

A lot of new users want all the benefits of djing with a mac but are not willing to totally give up the windows operating system because they're so accustomed to it. Mac solved that problem by allowing you to use both at the same time if you choose with no need to HACK your computer.....

The video is 20 min long but it should remove any reservations you had about leaving a window pc and switching to a mac...... Watchwww.youtube.com

The software used is called Parallels Desktop 10. There are other great options like bootcamp for running both windows and mac but we lose some integration features which may be appealing to some users.

BTW, this is not new and has been available on mac for many years.

Parallels is a great program, but it is a ram hog when it's running.
Dj Shamann 2:04 AM - 26 November, 2014
I'm not going to watch a half hour's worth of video right now, so give me the cliff notes.

The main reason one might use a Mac over a PC for audio is the OS, so it as simple as saying "I'm going to DJ now, let's switch to OSX" on an easy toggle system?

If not, why not just go Hackintosh and run the better OS on the cheaper but equal spec'd system?

(Yes I know you said for those that are stuck in their PC ways, but I'm just conversing here)

Especially if...

Quote:
it is a ram hog when it's running.
DJ DisGrace 2:28 AM - 26 November, 2014
Quote:
it is a ram hog when it's running.

+1

I went the Bootcamp route when I did my latest wipe/OS install. Parallels was fine, and it got the job done, but it was slow.
DJMark 2:35 AM - 26 November, 2014
Bootcamp is definitely the way to go if you need best performance and compatibility with external hardware.

One of my main uses for Windows is to access installed audio system processors (using Ethernet, USB, or even old-fashioned RS232)... getting that to work well in a virtual machine can be problematic.

A "hackintosh" setup doesn't seem like a wise investment of time or resources if you're going to depend on the results.
Dj Shamann 2:47 AM - 26 November, 2014
Quote:
A "hackintosh" setup doesn't seem like a wise investment of time or resources if you're going to depend on the results.

I've never used one, I just now there are a few guys on these forums that have run them successfully.

Me personally I always used both platforms with no problems, until I moved over to video, then it was night and day between the two.
pdidy 2:51 AM - 26 November, 2014
Quote:
Parallels is a great program, but it is a ram hog when it's running.

Its a non issue provided you're running it on a "decent" mac. Plus you're not going to be running it while your djing or anything mission critical.
pdidy 3:15 AM - 26 November, 2014
Quote:
I went the Bootcamp route when I did my latest wipe/OS install. Parallels was fine, and it got the job done, but it was slow.

Quote:
Bootcamp is definitely the way to go if you need best performance and compatibility with external hardware.

I think all "power users" like us will eventually go bootcamp because our priority is "best performance" but again this topic is not about choosing......its about options. We dont have to choose between Parallels or bootcamp because we can have both.

Now for a new user who are already nervous about the switch, Parallels makes for the perfect security blanket because windows is always there.
pdidy 3:26 AM - 26 November, 2014
Quote:
The main reason one might use a Mac over a PC for audio is the OS

Yes, its the OS
Quote:
so it as simple as saying "I'm going to DJ now, let's switch to OSX" on an easy toggle system?

You're always in OSX but Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 98, Linux, and Google Chrome OS can all be run individually or all at the SAME time.....options
Dj Shamann 3:31 AM - 26 November, 2014
Quote:

You're always in OSX but Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 98, Linux, and Google Chrome OS can all be run individually or all at the SAME time.....options

Okay.
pdidy 3:37 AM - 26 November, 2014
Quote:
If not, why not just go Hackintosh and run the better OS on the cheaper but equal spec'd system?

As DJMARK stated " A "hackintosh" setup doesn't seem like a wise investment of time or resources if you're going to depend on the results."

Plus there's a required skill level involved which immediately excludes a lot of the not so computer literate or Brave enough to try. Parallels eliminates all of this and makes it easy.
DJ Irv 2:50 PM - 26 November, 2014
Parrallels/VMWare/VirtualBox are okay for some things but, not serato. You need a lot of RAM to run it and it's never quite as fast the OS having direct unfettered access to the hardware.

I often setup VM's for people who Mac users that need to develop programs and web pages for PC's. It is actually possible to make a VM of Mac OS X to run on PCs albeit a hack.

My Dell XPS1210 hackintosh blue the doors off macbook Pro's 10years ago. It had 4USB ports and mini firewire. The biggest drawback to a hackintosh is the fact you should never update it due to fragility of the hack.
Dj Nyce 3:41 PM - 26 November, 2014
i can cosign running parallels on mac to run a virtual instance of windows. i use it to run freestyler dmx. i have 16gb of memory so i have lots to spare, but it doesn't use any more memory than say vmware. at least on my system anyways.

i've even used parallels to run sony vegas.