DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

1st classic rock party

Dj Mixstyles 1:43 AM - 25 November, 2014
DJ brothers I need your help my first Classic Rock party is coming in February I know a couple of hits but I also need help on what gets these older drunk people on the dance floor all night help me out please, any gems, its for a motorcycle club fundraiser!
dj jamalot 2:48 PM - 25 November, 2014
Born to be wild - Steppen wolf
American pie - Don Mc Clean
Hot Blooded - Foreigner
another brick in the wall - Pink Floyd
that's an easy genre...
phonze 2:52 PM - 25 November, 2014
you only know a couple of songs? lol. if possible, maybe try and get a song list from them as well. classic rock can be different for some people.
Taipanic 3:18 PM - 25 November, 2014
Hope you've also tuned your car radio into the local classic rock station for the next 3 months. Classic rock now usually covers the 80's hair band stuff too and there's a lot of good danceable rock from that era - Cinderella, GnR, Poison, Motley Crue.
Also, check out the Mobile Beat Top 200 list and pull the RnR songs off of that:
www.mobilebeat.com
Dj Mixstyles 4:47 PM - 25 November, 2014
Phonze i actually have a whole folder of about 150 200 songs a lot of stuff i like and heard over the years ive been practicing on the songs as far as blending and getting a good feel i just wanna make sure im on point with it and opening up a new lane for me as a dj. but thx dj jamalot and taipanic and phonze
O.B.1 5:35 PM - 25 November, 2014
Also be careful mixing that stuff too much. (Even though I tend to do it a lot, because it is fun) Some rock music fans don't want you messing up their favorite song. Especially when it comes to re-drums/remixes. That being said, there are quite a few dope versions of classic rock songs that can go over well in a club setting.
Daktyl 5:35 PM - 25 November, 2014
Quote:
ive been practicing on the songs as far as blending

Don't do too much of that... there are some good re-drums out there where mixing works, but for the most part with classic rock people wanna hear the original track and not mixed....

with some tracks, especially 70's rock, there are decent drum breaks where you can mix effectively (think another one bites the dust by queen or I love rock n roll by Joan Jett), but be careful with that...in some songs, those breaks are right before the sing along anthem-y best part of the song so people will be disappointed if you mix out there.

Don't worry about bpm all that much, with rock it's more about flow, energy, track selection, and programming than anything else. The best song to follow a 100 bpm track might be an 82 bpm track, not necessarily another 100 bpm track. most of the time a simple radio fade would be best transition...

As far as songs, def get a playlist from them, even if it's just 10-20 tracks. "Classic Rock" means different things to different people. It could be the Beatles, it could be Jefferson Airplane, it could be Jimi Hendrix, it could be Creedence Clearwater Revival, it could be Guns n Roses and Motley Crue, it could be Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel, and these days, it could even mean Nirvana and Soundgarden depending on who you ask.

Also, look into those artists I just mentioned lol
dj jamalot 5:35 PM - 25 November, 2014
No Prob Mixstyles we all started somewhere... I use a few different Compilations to come up with my Rock Classics the Mobile beat top 200 hits a lot of popular ones as well, Good Luck on your gig.
Daktyl 5:36 PM - 25 November, 2014
Quote:
Also be careful mixing that stuff too much. (Even though I tend to do it a lot, because it is fun) Some rock music fans don't want you messing up their favorite song. Especially when it comes to re-drums/remixes. That being said, there are quite a few dope versions of classic rock songs that can go over well in a club setting.

beat me too haha
DJ DisGrace 5:45 PM - 25 November, 2014
Make sure you grab some Barbara Streisand...
jprime 5:54 PM - 25 November, 2014
Quote:

As far as songs, def get a playlist from them, even if it's just 10-20 tracks. "Classic Rock" means different things to different people. It could be the Beatles, it could be Jefferson Airplane, it could be Jimi Hendrix, it could be Creedence Clearwater Revival, it could be Guns n Roses and Motley Crue, it could be Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel, and these days, it could even mean Nirvana and Soundgarden depending on who you ask.

+1
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:26 PM - 25 November, 2014
Quote:
DJ brothers I need your help my first Classic Rock party is coming in February I know a couple of hits but I also need help on what gets these older drunk people on the dance floor all night help me out please, any gems, its for a motorcycle club fundraiser!

Darude - Sandstorm works every time
Dj Mixstyles 6:31 AM - 27 November, 2014
i appreciate you guys thx
DJ VEE 2:43 PM - 28 November, 2014
Bob Seger, Billy Idol, AC/DC, Bon Jovi, Rolling Stones...
As mentioned, make your local classic rock station your best friend for a while. Don't worry too much about BPM, but more about what songs flow with one another. Best way to determine that is to know the genre. Excellent advice with being careful to not mix out before the sing along chorus... I learned that the hard way. Another DJ might have appreciated it, but boy did I disappoint some people. Oh, Meatloaf (guaranteed to work with the ladies), Queen (also works with the ladies).
You will kind of have to understand which ones where hits that people will tend to dance to in the genre, (Meatloaf, Bon Jovi etc) and save those for a little later. Run the more "listening" type hits earlier on. There is plenty of info and songs for this genre out there. Try to get a list and that will give you at least the artists that people are thinking about. That will at least give you a starting point. Good luck.
Dj Mixstyles 11:40 AM - 30 November, 2014
DJ VEE good look bruh!
R-Tistic 8:40 AM - 1 December, 2014
My set is always...
Pour some sugar on me
Back in black
I love Rock n Roll
Come together
Give it away
Livin on a prayer

And not sure if it's "classic" but "Smells like teen spirit."
DJ Reflex 2:07 AM - 2 December, 2014
Throw in some ZZ Top and you got yourself a party!
DJMark 6:00 AM - 2 December, 2014
Van Halen "Jump" and "Running With the Devil".

And if I was doing such a night I might try to throw in some Motown and other popular/classic danceable R&B things like Aretha "Respect".

There was actually an era when all those genres happily co-existed on single (wildly successful) radio stations...
DJ VEE 1:04 PM - 2 December, 2014
Journey "Don't Stop Believin'" also good to throw in.
DJ Reflex 1:12 AM - 3 December, 2014
Quote:
Van Halen "Jump"

The Barbangerz remix of this track is awesome - I use it almost every gig!
DJ Remy USA 10:43 PM - 4 December, 2014
im totally tracking all of my holiday parties I get stuck playing classic for most of the night cause the old drunks just love it. I end up trying to mix/party rock but end up just playing entire songs fading and playing the next because the crowd appreciate the full song and does not have a short attention span.

Quote:
Quote:
Van Halen "Jump"

Barbangerz is my pool for all the classic drunk sing a long tunes. The OP should sign up for that pool nothing but hits in there for mobile DJs. In fact its the best pool for mobile DJs who want party rock imo.
DJ VEE 11:47 PM - 4 December, 2014
Quote:
im totally tracking all of my holiday parties I get stuck playing classic for most of the night cause the old drunks just love it. I end up trying to mix/party rock but end up just playing entire songs fading and playing the next because the crowd appreciate the full song and does not have a short attention span.

Quote:
Quote:
Van Halen "Jump"

Barbangerz is my pool for all the classic drunk sing a long tunes. The OP should sign up for that pool nothing but hits in there for mobile DJs. In fact its the best pool for mobile DJs who want party rock imo.

^^this^^
I gotta admit, when you are playing for a bunch of drunk people, the Barbangerz stuff works great. I've used just their stuff to carry entire parties. I like when they are just drunk enough to not notice or care that it's a redrum, then at least I can blend them together and not just stand there pushing a button while going through the rock playlist.
The Face 11:13 PM - 2 January, 2015
Quote:

Whatever you do, don't cut the song off before the guitar solo. DJ did if at my wedding to "Creeping Death" (hey, it's my wedding:-)) and she was lucky to get paid.
The Face 11:24 PM - 2 January, 2015
Quote:
Journey "Don't Stop Believin'" also good to throw in.

Quote:
Throw in some ZZ Top and you got yourself a party!

"Don't stop Believin" could be your finale. ZZ Top is an absolute certainty. If your going for Mötley it has to be "Kickstart my Heart"
"Alone" by Heart could be a risk because its seen as a ballad but the guitar's sure come out when the chorus hits!
d:raf 11:28 PM - 2 January, 2015
Quote:
If your going for Mötley it has to be "Kickstart my Heart"

No "Dr. Feelgood"?
The Face 11:32 PM - 2 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
If your going for Mötley it has to be "Kickstart my Heart"

No "Dr. Feelgood"?

Good call, forgot about that one.
rayjthedj 12:10 AM - 3 January, 2015
Mustang Sally
Sweet Home Alabama
All Summer Long

Anything from:
Eagles
Steve Miller Band
Fleetwood Mac
Foreigner
Bad Company
Boston
Meatloaf
Queen
Doobie Brothers
Chicago
Grandfunk Railroad
Black Sabbath
Lead Zepplin
The Who
Beatles
Blood Sweat & Tears
Bread
AKIEM 1:22 AM - 3 January, 2015
Quote:
Make sure you grab some Barbara Streisand...

:-)
Dj Mixstyles 1:07 AM - 31 January, 2015
what are some good beach music dance hits
Hitman303 3:41 AM - 31 January, 2015
I guess "classic rock" depends on your age or or what you consider it to be.

A lot of good songs suggested though, I do see a lot of 80's rock.
BigWave DJ 8:30 AM - 31 January, 2015
Quote:
what are some good beach music dance hits

The Beach Boys would be a good start for some classic surf music.

Barbara Ann
Be True to your School
Catch a Wave
Rock N Roll Music
Surfin Safari

Check out Jan and Dean , First Class, Eddie Cochran The Drifters.
Dj Mixstyles 8:35 AM - 31 January, 2015
Thx
bizwiz 3:41 PM - 1 February, 2015
Bikers will appreciate "Copperhead Road" by Steve Earle. It's not a mainstream joint but, those who like it like it a lot.
Dj Mixstyles 4:14 PM - 1 February, 2015
Bizwiz thank you sir
southernplayalisticaddilacmuzik 10:37 PM - 1 February, 2015
Gotta throw in some CCR
Dj Mixstyles 12:36 AM - 2 February, 2015
Down on the corner!
DJ Reflex 3:10 AM - 2 February, 2015
Or "Fortunate Son"
DJ Remy USA 7:24 PM - 6 February, 2015
Ram Jam - Black Betty
Devil Went Down to Georgia

They love these 2 jams
Dj Mixstyles 7:12 AM - 28 February, 2015
Quote:
Ram Jam - Black Betty
Devil Went Down to Georgia

They love these 2 jams

who sing devil went down to Georgia
rayjthedj 4:15 PM - 28 February, 2015
Charlie Daniels Band
DJ Boom Bap 3:06 AM - 1 March, 2015
When is your gig? I play TONS of classic rock every week, like CR and Country exclusively at one gig......I can hook you up with some tried and true "obscure" CR.
Dj Mixstyles 4:27 AM - 1 March, 2015
Just got finished, I got busy and got more business, but yeah if u want send me somthing mixhandmusic@yahoo.com
DJ Barz 8:24 AM - 1 March, 2015
Yo DJ Boom Bap I wouldn't mind a hook-up as well, I've got a gig where they like me to mix some stuff like that in. DjBarzTO@gmail.com or here is cool too!
DJ Boom Bap 4:18 AM - 2 March, 2015
Ok, give me a few days.......day job reigns supreme, but I'll put something together.
DJ Barz 10:19 PM - 2 March, 2015
You're the man! Take your time, I'll survive lol.
DJ Boom Bap 1:14 AM - 4 March, 2015
Still working on this..........I didn't realize how unorganized I am lol....Building crates as I go along. I'm trying to figure out how best to organize this HUGE list. I'll be in touch, I've been plugging away at it a couple hours a night for the past couple nights...still have a while to go. Stay tuned.
DJ Boom Bap 6:10 AM - 28 March, 2015
Hey guys, I haven't forgotten about you. I didn't realize how big of a task this would be.....plus GTA Heists came out, AND Battlefield Hardline, so thats holding me back. Also, I just got a SUPER hook up on some crate digging for classic rap records......I'm still working on it, and trying to figure out how to best organize it.

Would you prefer a master list or an Excel type list where I can separate the different genres within the genre?
DJ Barz 11:49 PM - 30 March, 2015
Excel would be sweet! Whenever you got time bro!
Dj_Nix 4:54 AM - 26 May, 2016
bump. any progress on the list? no use recreating the wheel :)