DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What is the FIRST record you bought

papsworth 7:46 PM - 8 May, 2006
When you started Djing? Don't have be exact but try to think back to one of your first purchases. AND if you started with MP3's or CD's then don't answer. Just playing but...

Here's mine:

Rap 1 - Profile Records

Check the tracklisting:

www.discogs.com
papsworth 7:53 PM - 8 May, 2006
Oh, and if you were buying before you started Djing try think what it was...
anewsome 8:05 PM - 8 May, 2006
It's waaay too long ago to remember exactly but I am pretty sure it was:

Dobbie Brothers - What A Fool Believes

on 45 rpm. And no I wasn't DJing,.. I was a little kid. Little kids don't DJ. I was probably 10 or 11 at the time if I remember correctly. By the way, the record is still dope but I don't have the record anymore, I have it on CD.
Dj Ryme 8:24 PM - 8 May, 2006
Young M.C. - Bust a move. Back in 91 I think.
nik39 8:26 PM - 8 May, 2006
I think it was some Modern Talking or Kylie Minogue stuff, when she was produced by Stock Aitken Waterman (anyone remember those 80's Neptunes ;)) ).
anewsome 8:49 PM - 8 May, 2006
Quote:
when she was produced by Stock Aitken Waterman (anyone remember those 80's Neptunes ;)) ).

if i recall correctly, those cats were more prolific than pharrell. if i recall correctly, those cats were the clearchannel of popular music back then. turning over 1 hit wonders on the weekly.
nik39 8:57 PM - 8 May, 2006
en.wikipedia.org <- click.

Quote:
The three can be considered to be the most successful songwriting and producing partnership of all time, scoring over 200 top 40 UK hits in the mid 1980s to early 1990s.

Quote:
Following this success their style changed to a more mainstream style of catchy (some would say annoying) bubblegum synth pop

lol. That last 3 words remind me of D4L and many ***** ***** tracks.
DJ Unique 8:59 PM - 8 May, 2006
Rockers Revenge - Walking On Sunshine (12")
brotha reese 9:03 PM - 8 May, 2006
Run Dmc "Hard Times" (12")
punosion 9:47 PM - 8 May, 2006
Haven't been collecting records for long compared to most of you, so:

Future Sound of London - Papua New Guinea (Hybrid 12" Remix)
anewsome 9:59 PM - 8 May, 2006
probably 10 years after my first record, I bought my first CD. that one is a little easier to remember. a few months CDs were introduced to the market, i picked up:

george michael - faith
sade - diamond life
Thundercat 11:01 PM - 8 May, 2006
First record I bought with my own money? I bought 2 on the same day: Kiss - Alive II & Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove.

I remeber it like it was yesterday. I got them at the PX in Bad Kreuznach.
nik39 11:03 PM - 8 May, 2006
Quote:
I remeber it like it was yesterday. I got them at the PX in Bad Kreuznach.

Thats almost around the corner here :)
mister iLL 11:05 PM - 8 May, 2006
"double dutch bus" on 45
E-Double 11:32 PM - 8 May, 2006
First record bought: "The Amazing Spider-Man & Friends Vol. 2" (Power Records)
First DJ 12" Single: New Order-Blue Monday (Factory Records)
Reber 11:54 PM - 8 May, 2006
Johnny Vicious "Ecstacy" in '98. I was looking for that record forever in my hometown. Then I made a trip to NYC and ended up picking it up. I don't think I ever played it once.
DJ Rumor 12:22 AM - 9 May, 2006
Here are some of my first records:

Raekwon- Ice Cream / Incarerated Scarfaces 12" single
Wu Tang- C.R.E.A.M. / Da Mystery Of Chessboxin' 12" single
DMX- Where My Dogs At / Stop Being Greedy 12" single

I'll never forget buying them on Fordham Road in the Bronx @ Music Factory (which is also where I bought my first pair of Gemini turntables). Ahh, memories!
society 1:12 AM - 9 May, 2006
The first album I ever bought was Huey Lewis and the News, "Sports" when I was like, 8 or something.

The first 12" I bought for DJing was "Electrobank" by the Chemical Brothers--a monster of a track with dope B-sides.
germanbaboon 2:35 AM - 9 May, 2006
paul van dyk - nothing but you [mute records]
DjRekTek 3:33 AM - 9 May, 2006
Damn, I believe it was in 84' or 85', Micheal Jackson "Thriller" and Quiet Riot "Metal Health"....long, long while back. Good Golly Gurdy What A Gapeing Gash!
wakka 3:36 AM - 9 May, 2006
Nas - If I Ruled the World
Func1200 4:40 AM - 9 May, 2006
The Fat Boys "Crushin" and Biz Markie "Goin Off"
DJ CRANK 6:52 AM - 9 May, 2006
F.R.E.S.H. I forgot who, but I remeber that was the record where the dude rapped in reverse, had to been 1980 or so.
shmok1 7:34 AM - 9 May, 2006
mine was some radio play/drama record about a young soccer player..
named: Uwe goes for the cup! lol

right after that: Alf-Stuck on earth
DJ_CARY 8:10 AM - 9 May, 2006
The Best Of....... EARTH , WIND & FIRE !!!! (red album)

I guess im old........but not as old as many of you guys!
g_son 8:27 AM - 9 May, 2006
Dirt Style Seal Break was the first record i picked up. All I did was baby scratch the AHH/Freshhh part for 2 month.
Serato
dave 8:57 AM - 9 May, 2006
Quote:
I think it was some Modern Talking or Kylie Minogue stuff, when she was produced by Stock Aitken Waterman (anyone remember those 80's Neptunes ;)) ).

Haha! My Nana bought me the 'Kylie' LP for Christmas.
boabmatic 10:37 AM - 9 May, 2006
First record I bought was A guy called gerald - voodoo Ray 12 inch...

but the first record I owned was the fraggle rock soundtrack LP bought by my folks :)
lesterdiamond 12:33 PM - 9 May, 2006
Killabite 003
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 2:30 PM - 9 May, 2006
(1977) Saturday Night Fever: The Original Movie Sound Track www.amazon.com & (1978) Grease (Original 1978 Motion Picture Soundtrack)

i remember trying to figure out all the lyrics to these cuts and gazing at artwork on the double album covers (note: we didn't have the videos back then so....)
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 2:31 PM - 9 May, 2006
woops, fergot tha Grease link --> www.amazon.com
Freddagreat 2:44 PM - 9 May, 2006
The Show -Doug E Fresh & MC Ricky D
Cham 3:05 PM - 9 May, 2006
The Beatles Live at the Hollywood Bowl. I was six and my dad took me to a second-hand recordstore. I think he would have liked me to pick up a jazz-album but I'd heard about the beatles and it seemed like a sure bet.

First hip-hop I bought was Rap Attack 2 I think. Included White Lines, I was stoked.
s42000 6:36 PM - 9 May, 2006
Michael Jackson - Thriller :)

That was my 1st ever personal, I OWN IT, ITS MINE AND MINE ALONE record.
DJ Nick Lee 6:48 PM - 9 May, 2006
can you feel me - dru down
Melissa 10:36 PM - 9 May, 2006
My first vinyl was a bunch of dancehall and reggae 45"s... Mr Vegas and Sean Paul- Hot Gyal Today was one of 'em...
Izzy 10:56 PM - 9 May, 2006
I don't know what I was thinking but here are my first two records (bought 'em at middle earth in Downey, same day): Technotronic - Pump It Up and Soul II Soul - Back To Life

...bowing my head in shame...
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 11:21 PM - 9 May, 2006
Soul II Soul - Back To Life... i like that song izz :)
djzoo 2:49 AM - 10 May, 2006
JJ Fad - Supersonic , I even had it autographed by the group at star records in san jose.
That same day I also bought Herbie Hancock - Rock It.
djzoo 2:49 AM - 10 May, 2006
forgot to mention i still got that jj fad record.
CMOS 7:11 PM - 10 May, 2006
Ok this is gonna catch me a lotta shit on this board but my first records were..........2nd edition control vinyls.

LONG LIVE THE MICROWAVE!
djzoo 7:16 PM - 10 May, 2006
dang how long have you been djing...4-5 months
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 8:12 PM - 10 May, 2006
Quote:
Ok this is gonna catch me a lotta shit on this board but my first records were..........2nd edition control vinyls.

LONG LIVE THE MICROWAVE!

haha! cool
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 8:13 PM - 10 May, 2006
nuthin wrong with dat yo :)
Dj Metro 8:14 PM - 10 May, 2006
saturday night fever,rappers delight.......oooooooooooooooooo the memories
Serato
dave 5:52 AM - 11 May, 2006
Quote:

that is damn cool. nice one CMOS!
sixxx 6:05 AM - 11 May, 2006
Quote:

LONG LIVE THE MICROWAVE!

Nah. Not at all. I think as long as you don't claim to be someone you're not your type is cool in my book. :)
AirFoil 6:14 AM - 11 May, 2006
Thriller was the first record I bought with my own money when I was wee lad.

First record I bought for DJing was Doowutchyalike/Hip Hop Doll by Digital Underground.
Tokaji 8:05 AM - 11 May, 2006
Kraftwerk- the man machine & Depeche Mode - Speak and Spell in the early eighties!!!
ejayian 9:21 AM - 11 May, 2006
My first record was an album from KIZZ or is it KISS? I didnt even listen to the music, I just liked the painting on the face I think I was like 7 or something.
CMS 9:41 AM - 11 May, 2006
KISS Dynasty in 1977 or 76. My dad gave me the money for it since I was still a young snot-face!!!
DJ GaFFle 7:13 PM - 11 May, 2006
RAW - Big Daddy Kane (DJ'ing)
Fresh is the Word - Mantronix (b4 DJ'ing)
funkdigital 7:28 PM - 11 May, 2006
Kurtis Blow
If I Ruled The World Album
CMOS 11:04 PM - 11 May, 2006
Actually serato is the reason i am able to get into djing. I have wanted to do it for so long its not even funny. Ive only been at it since xmas. I dont have room in my apartment to store hundreds or thousands of records, shit i barely have room for my crappy stanton tables and american audio mixer. I aint tryin to do it to be famous or cuz its cool im doin it cuz i fell in love with the art form the first time i ever saw flash in his kitchen cuttin it up. One of these days im gonna get the balls to post a mix and get some real critisism from some pros.

Right now im in Cancun with my girl and i miss my tables. If i hear the cha cha slide one more fuckin time ima shoot the dj. I was gonna bring my laptop and my serato but i kinda wanna keep this girl so i didnt lol. Also every club down here cuts video with the music, but i didnt see any of the dvd tables, any ideas on how they are doing it?
nik39 11:06 PM - 11 May, 2006
Quote:
If i hear the cha cha slide one more fuckin time ima shoot the dj

Haha :) Thats what I think about the request "if one more person comes here requesting this crap Ima shoot him/her" :))
Freddy 12:09 AM - 12 May, 2006
Rappers Delight
Dj Ace 6:49 AM - 12 May, 2006
The Boys in The Hood by Easy E.
djHSL 7:17 AM - 12 May, 2006
Monster Mash, by Bobby (Boris) Pickett and the Crypt Kicker Five.

I still have it somewhere.

Next were a couple if pieces of Australiana called "The Newcastle Song", by Bob Hudson, and "Aunty Jack Sings Wollongong", by none other than Aunty Jack Her (Him?) Self.
BriChi 5:28 PM - 12 May, 2006
I think "Rock-It" - Herbie Hancock
DJ BIG ANT 05 4:55 AM - 17 May, 2006
trouble funk- pump me up... all because of the movie juice!!!
mexicannnnnn 4:57 AM - 17 May, 2006
This vinyl called "It's OK to say NO to Drugs".

15 years later I was scratching that record.
mexicannnnnn 5:01 AM - 17 May, 2006
Quote:
This vinyl called "It's OK to say NO to Drugs".

15 years later I was scratching that record.

Ok I lied... my dad bought it for me.

My first actuall vinyl I paid for was FS1.0 vinyls. After that I traded some DJ gear for a ton of other records... and inherited quite a few from my brother who used to DJ.
DJLorrence 5:15 AM - 17 May, 2006
hooj choons - space invaders
DJMark 5:41 AM - 17 May, 2006
The 45's of Led Zeppelin "Whole Lotta Love" and Steam "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye". The latter was one of the first (if not actually the first) pop records with an identifiable "disco" break (1969).

I also remember when I played the records I was disappointed that they didn't sound as good as they did when played on (AM) radio with the heavy compression and reverb.
Saytj 2:53 PM - 17 May, 2006
My First Record was bought in 1980 KRAFTWERK COMPUTER LOVE an essential album in the electronic world if you dont believe how dope it is ask the producers of coldplay they played there melodies over in there last album.
DJUnknown 3:16 PM - 17 May, 2006
The first record I bought was the Fat Boys' self-entitled first album (still have that record), the first record I owned was some Barry Manilow record I won off the radio, had my Mom drive me to the radio station to get it, only to get home and be like I could have done with out this "crap".
thenewyorkgiant 7:00 PM - 17 May, 2006
da youngstas - crewz pop
gucca69 9:34 PM - 17 May, 2006
remember it well nirvana = nevermind
i always bought 12inches years before i ever even thaught of being a dj.
thats why i have a crazy eclectic collection of good music.
peace
DJ Nevoc 9:48 PM - 17 May, 2006
First Records bought off www.satteliterecords.com

Rank 1 - Airwave
The Thrillseekers Feat Sheryl Dean - Synaesthesia
Paul Van Dyk - Another Way/Avenue
Thrillseekers - Nightfly
Thrillseekers - Beyond Time
DJ Nevoc 9:49 PM - 17 May, 2006
Quote:

You ever pick up Space Manuevers???
DJLorrence 12:54 AM - 19 May, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

You ever pick up Space Manuevers???

i believe so, was it label white and blue?

i have all my EDM records in storage.

airwave? lol. i love that shit. did so much X to that. in frisco, when mars and mystre were the rave of the scene. *pun* if i remember it was San Francisco civic auditorium. had like 3 rooms, small left, small right, huge center room. blasting nightfly, and airwave, save the rave, that u-trax remix of that john lennon song, and that shit, i forget, lets see....damn....rolling stones song...and out of the blue, damn, good times. now i have permanent trails. and that playyed out song, darude, forget the name of the song.

nightfly? lol. bomb, but wasn't the original by blank and jones? i still have that one vinyl. i think its on Nebula label.

pvd...another way, yo, i still got that original, plus for an angel single.

thanks for the flash back.

see ya!
DJLorrence 12:55 AM - 19 May, 2006
kaktai - od404 - number nine!
DJ Nevoc 5:29 AM - 19 May, 2006
yeah bro blank & jones did the originals on Nightfly and beyond Time.

Yeah it takes me back to the warehouse Rave days!!!
DJLorrence 12:10 AM - 20 May, 2006
oak town baby. dope.
Caramac 3:43 PM - 18 February, 2009
The first record I brought was either Biz Markie Just a Friend 12" or some Fat Boys 7" with them on the beach. I think it's ''Wipeout''.

I then brought some Free South Africa 12" from a shop in my town. Still got that and the Biz Mark 12". Not sure what happened to the Fat Boys one.

My first record ever was the Frog Song by Paul McCartney. I didn't buy it lol but I used to like listening to it when I was younger.

First CD was the Beats International album with Dub Be Good To Me.

Tank fly
Boss walk
Jam Nitty Gritty
Your listening to the boys from the big bad city
This is JAmmmmm Hot
This is Jammmmmm hot.
DCM 4:26 PM - 18 February, 2009
Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock - It Takes Two (12")
icec 4:31 PM - 18 February, 2009
serato black control vinyl
DJ GaFFle 4:55 PM - 18 February, 2009
"Fresh is the Word" - Mantronix (before I learned to DJ)
"Raw" - Big Daddy Kane (as a fledgling DJ)
dj_craigmac 5:04 PM - 18 February, 2009
The first record given to me was body heat by james brown, the BREAK in that recoerd gives me chills to this day the funkiest shit ever!!!

The first record that i bought was The Breaks by kurtis blow.
DJDemand 5:06 PM - 18 February, 2009
fat boys - crushin'
well, my dad got it for me after that disorderlies movie came out
DJ Stuart (AR) 5:17 PM - 18 February, 2009
When is started buying music i was buying cassettes, not records.
I bought Suicidal Tendencies "How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today".
Rapha-EL 5:31 PM - 18 February, 2009
First one was : Phuture - Acid Tracks (Trax Records)
or maybe it was the Holiday-Rap ? yep yep.. i know...
3rd was Criminal Element Orchestra - Put The Needle To The Record (Criminal Records)
4th was Africa Bambaata or The KLF
Dj/Dan/Ram 6:12 PM - 18 February, 2009
Keep in mind im only 24 born in 1984, but on my 5th birthday my bro took me to a local mom and pops record shop and I purchased DJ JAZZY JEFF AND THE FRESH PRINCE "SUMMERTIME" ............. CHANGED MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WuaKeeN 6:15 PM - 18 February, 2009
That I purchased with my own money, hmmm??? I think it was the double album, "A NIGHT AT STUDIO 54". This is the album that also inspired me to DJ back then...
Groove45 7:34 PM - 18 February, 2009
I bought the 45 of SWAT form the 70's. It had a badass break in it. And this is before I understood what a break was!!! I just knew I liked it!!!
sacrilicious 7:38 PM - 18 February, 2009
Unfortunately, I think it was ATB "9pm (Till I Come)." Still play it from time to time for my buddies at home for the pure cheese.
DJ G-NUTZ 8:10 PM - 18 February, 2009
First record that I found in the house was Zapp&Roger More Bounce. First record that I bought was Nightcrawlers Push The Feeling.
DJ RICKGEE 8:47 PM - 18 February, 2009
Attitude- We Got the Juice
DJ RICKGEE 8:53 PM - 18 February, 2009
Quote:
I bought the 45 of SWAT form the 70's. It had a badass break in it. And this is before I understood what a break was!!! I just knew I liked it!!!

One of my top 5 favorite breaks!
Kenny Q 9:11 PM - 18 February, 2009
Quote:

I have 2 copies of that record. Mantronix used to be my favorite (besides Run-DMC).
Do you have Mantronix's "Needle to the groove"? the cover of that record has great graffiti artwork.

Back then, nobody worked the Roland 808 and 909 like DJ Mantronik.
Kenny Q 9:13 PM - 18 February, 2009
The first record my Mother bought me was "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies. This was back in the 60's.
I honestly don't remember the first record that I bought.
chaka 9:14 PM - 18 February, 2009
1977 - KISS - Double Platinum and Kiss Alive II

When i got the albums home and my mom saw Gene Simmons on the cover with blood coming out of his mouth - she was in horror. I knew i had bought the right albums
Dirty Digits 9:26 PM - 18 February, 2009
The Beatles' Greatest Hits (Both Red & Blue versions) and maybe Disco Duck & Chipmunk Punk all in the same week? ... They were gifts from my parents when i was like, 6.

Starting to DJ..
Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde. - the first real record got with the intention of DJing. It was the Original press Double LP with the Blue and Yellow clear vinyls. This also what introduced me to crate digging.
Kenny Q 9:32 PM - 18 February, 2009
Quote:
1977 - KISS - Double Platinum and Kiss Alive II
When i got the albums home and my mom saw Gene Simmons on the cover with blood coming out of his mouth - she was in horror. I knew i had bought the right albums

LOL.
We had Kiss Destroyer (1976) at our house and played it on a regular basis.
We had just as much rock records & 8 Track Tapes as Pop and R&B.
DJ GaFFle 9:32 PM - 19 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

I have 2 copies of that record. Mantronix used to be my favorite (besides Run-DMC).
Do you have Mantronix's "Needle to the groove"? the cover of that record has great graffiti artwork.

I'm sure I do but would hate to search through over 6000 pieces of vinyl to find it...
shiestO! 10:08 PM - 19 February, 2009
ak1200 feat. junior reid- junior's tune
Kenny Q 12:45 AM - 20 February, 2009
Quote:
I'm sure I do but would hate to search through over 6000 pieces of vinyl to find it...

I remember all of my favorite record covers. Especially back then, there wasn't a lot of singles with kool looking covers.
DJDynasty 1:58 AM - 20 February, 2009
Young & Company - I Like What You Are Doing To Me, the album on Brunswick label
chaka 3:31 AM - 20 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is that the white cover that just says "Mantronix" on the front? I just ran across that the other day - still think about "needle to the groove" and how Beck snagged those lines "Two Turntable And A Microphone" sample from

HA HA HA - Mantronix
BIG DJ PHAZE 4:43 AM - 20 February, 2009
Pretty sure it was - Malcolm McClaren and the World Famous Supreme Team - Do You Like Scratching EP
Damn that was like 1985 or so, I still got it too :)
agentorange 5:25 AM - 20 February, 2009
Chubb Rock - Tream 'Em Right
Caramac 9:09 AM - 20 February, 2009
Ok slightly off tangent but who brought records alone based on the cover and was dissapointed? Never really had this with rap/rnb stuff but I've brought a lot of shitty breaks over the years because the cover and song titles looked really funky/jazzy etc and you get it home and its elevator jazz GTFOH! Lol.
Jay Sol 9:46 AM - 20 February, 2009
the very first record i bought, i actually bought 3 at the same time but they were,

Gangsta Gangsta - NWA
Runs House - Run DMC
and
It's Tricky - Run DMC (the picture 12", with the scratch'a'pella)

:-)
Kenny Q 12:02 PM - 20 February, 2009
Quote:
Is that the white cover that just says "Mantronix" on the front? I just ran across that the other day - Mantronix

No, The single showed graffiti artwork with DJ Mantronik spinning records MC Tee on the mic with a Kangol and Addidas suit. Lots of girlies dancing everywhere and Speakers wall to wall.
To me, it was the best record cover I've ever seen.
I'll take a picture and post it when I remember.

I also have the white cover with that just says "Mantronix" on the front. That was the album.
Kenny Q 12:04 PM - 20 February, 2009
The same artist drew the cover of Just-Ice's first album (Produced by Mantronik).
He also made covers for another "Sleeping Bag" record that I have.
T-SWIFT 3:30 PM - 20 February, 2009
First record I bought was "Hollywood Swinging" by Kool & The Gang. It was a 45. (yeah, I'm old) The first record I mixed with was "Roxanne, Roxanne" (I still have it) given to me by Frank Sams (Dj Tech... the original)
agentorange 5:09 PM - 20 February, 2009
Quote:
the very first record i bought, i actually bought 3 at the same time but they were,

Gangsta Gangsta - NWA
Runs House - Run DMC
and
It's Tricky - Run DMC (the picture 12", with the scratch'a'pella)

:-)

yo jay sol, you were djing in the 80s?
agentorange 5:10 PM - 20 February, 2009
it looks like everybody bought 70s/80s records as their first record... my question is, was this for djing or what?
T-SWIFT 5:41 PM - 20 February, 2009
The first was just because I liked and still like the song. The second was for DJing. Back then everybody was mixing "the Big Beat" by Billy Squire and U.T.F.O. used it and it was easy to mix and practice with.
FunkyRob 6:36 PM - 20 February, 2009
I had turntables on lay-a-way, so yeah. My first 12" singles were for djing.

I don't count the 7" Donna Summer singles as a little kid.
agentorange 6:59 PM - 20 February, 2009
i had macarthur park. with last dance in it. hahah
Djbran 9:43 PM - 20 February, 2009
Boys Town Gang Cant take my eyes off you
Jay Sol 9:57 PM - 20 February, 2009
Quote:

yo jay sol, you were djing in the 80s?

no sir, but when i started DJ'ing, i had good taste in music and i knew i had to start with a good musical foundation. i am 22 years old and i'm one of the leading 80's 90's DJs. i get an abundance of calls for my 80's mixing abilities. i'm just a big fan of the time.
Hassle 11:47 AM - 21 February, 2009
First piece of vinyl I ever bought was Can I Play With Madness 7" - Iron Maiden. word.

I was into metal and punkrock in my early teens. WU's 36 Chambers changed my life...probably for the better haha.
Kenny Q 4:11 AM - 23 February, 2009
In the early 80's I liked Metal & Punk just as much as Rap.
I seen Iron Maiden and Judas Priest on the Screaming' for Vengeance & Number of the Beat tour. I think it was 1982.