Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Looking for a DVD ripper into MP4, MPEG-4 and lossless audio (ALAC or other)

pueblofunky 6:49 PM - 2 November, 2014
Does anyone know a DVD into MP4, MPEG-4 ripper which supports lossless - ALAC (or other) - audio tracks?

Because the most DVD ripper support MKV, MPEG-4 with lossless audio (WAV, FLAC),

but Serato Video 1.1 does not support MKV. :-(

Thanks a lot

PS: I don't want a discussion I hear no difference between lossy AAC or lossless (ALAC, WAV, FLAC) - because I want to "archive" the videos in the best quality possible - specially audio.
pueblofunky 7:48 PM - 2 November, 2014
PS: Need it for Windows - not Apple.
Megivern 2:16 AM - 4 November, 2014
Use a program like AppGeeker to rip the DVD to a .mp4 format that you can work with Serato.
DJ DisGrace 11:53 AM - 4 November, 2014
The issue that first comes to mind is that in general, DVDs have poor sound quality. Best bet is to remux the audio from a high quality source.
pueblofunky 7:33 PM - 4 November, 2014
@DJ DisGrace: The most music video DVDs I have are stored with PCM. Beside that I want to keep the file as the best available quality from the source (whatever the quality is). It is for archiving. And if the sound is not good enough I will do the extra work and remux it. But I want to avoid this for hundreds of videos.
pueblofunky 7:45 PM - 4 November, 2014
@Megivern: Thanks for the program. Almost all ripper can create the container .mp4.

The special question is:

With which Windows program can I create a .mp4 container with mpeg-4 video codec and a lossless audio codec?

Serato can play ALAC from a pure audio track (.m4a) without any problem:

Format : ALAC
Codec ID : alac
Codec ID/Info : Apple Lossless Audio Codec
Duration : 6mn 22s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 886 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits

So I am sure Serato plays the video with the lossless audio codec too.

However - a DVD/BLR ripper who supports this would be required. :-)
DJMark 6:13 AM - 5 November, 2014
Quote:
The most music video DVDs I have are stored with PCM.

That is much less relevant than you might think.

PCM doesn't matter much if it's poorly-mastered (which the vast majority of music DVD's are, regardless of encoding). And then there's the issue of skits/breaks in the audio, fairly common in music videos and almost always not acceptable for club play.

The number of music-video DVD's I've run across with acceptable sound quality is very very small.

If you're talking about compilation DVD's from one particular service I know of that uses PCM audio, then you are dealing with an issue with large ugly titles and inferior video (and quite often, not-so-great audio).

These are why many (most?) video DJ's are using the on-line services...it's a hell of a lot easier, and you get better results (with the good services).

Finally: I'm a hell of a lot more critical about sound quality than most, and honestly 256K or higher AAC is pretty transparent. It's really rare that I hear degradation from AAC encoding at that rate or higher (part of the reason I last messed with ALAC streams in MP4 files about five years ago).