Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

USB Finds the Black Box. Looses it. Finds it. Looses it. Every 6 seconds.

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
DJ Anim 3:04 AM - 8 May, 2006
After having the SSL not hooked up to my computer for a few months, I'm having problems with my computer finding the usb device. I plug it in and it finds it, and in the SSL software, it shows me the decks as if it were working. Then, it goes away to "interface disconnected" for about 6 seconds and then flashes up the decks again. And then back to "interface disconnected". It does this continually.

I tried different USB cables. Ones that I know work on other devices (printer,scanner). And I tried a few different USB ports on my box.

Any ideas?
DJ Unique 3:39 AM - 8 May, 2006
I had that same problem (not with SSL).
Anyway, the problem only happened when using a USB Hub.
Stopped using it and no more problems.
Revolutionary 4:08 AM - 8 May, 2006
You shouldn't use a USB HUB with SSL...Just to make that clear ;)
Revolutionary 4:11 AM - 8 May, 2006
Did you try using an external power supply for the SL-1?
DJ Unique 4:42 AM - 8 May, 2006
I never ever use or have used a hub for SSL. I know better.
I only plug in SSL and external Firewire HD to my lappy.
Revolutionary 4:59 AM - 8 May, 2006
Quote:
Did you try using an external power supply for the SL-1?

I'm talking about the optional 9VDC power supply that lets you spin vinyl without a laptop present.
DJ Anim 6:32 AM - 8 May, 2006
Not using a USB HUB, but what has changed on my PC since SSL was last working was I got a new case. This case has a couple USB connections on the front of the case. The very same connections I thought I would be cool and connect SSL to. I plugged it into the back of the case and it now works great.

And, yes I do use a 9vDC power supply with SSL. A bit off-topic, but the reason I do this is that where my turntables are is farther than the SSL-supplied USB cable will go. I bought an extender USB cable and found that the PC would loose the SSL between sessions and I would have to unplug and plug back in the SSL to get the computer to see it again. Using a 9vDC adapter fixed this for me.

Thanks for hinting me onto the fact that I shouldn't be using the front USB panel for SSL.
nobspangle 6:50 PM - 10 May, 2006
Shouldn't be a problem to use the front panel. It's probably a combination of that and the exended USB cable causing the problem.
DJ Anim 9:55 PM - 13 May, 2006
I used the SSL-provided USB cable to test through the front. So, I think it was just the front panel being the issue.