DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

New DJ

Dj Brut 8:19 PM - 9 October, 2014
Hey guys!

I bought my first controller ever yesterday (Pioneer ddj sb). Of course i have some problems as this is my first time mixing on a controller.

Could you please answer some questions?

How long did it take you to get on a decent level at beatmatching and transitions?

I've promised myself to record a mix once a week so i can look back and see how much i've improved over the time - is this a good idea or does it sound lame?

What genre is the easiet to start beatmatching - i love rap is it a difficult genre for a newbie?
MPC O.G. 8:47 PM - 9 October, 2014
I would suggest starting off with what you actually listen to the most and are most familiar with. There a lot of good videos on Youtube. Watch them and learn. Be patient and DON'T think it's going to happen overnight. Keep FUN in it and you should be OK.
djnak 4:04 AM - 10 October, 2014
Yes record and listen back ... You will start hearing where u fucked up and start thinking of ways to improve...
Dj Brut 6:21 AM - 10 October, 2014
Thanks guys! :)
djbanno 9:35 AM - 10 October, 2014
Positive thread win!
Dj Brut 11:13 AM - 10 October, 2014
I made my first nice transition yesterday and i recorded it! best feeling ever lol, especially when i got mad cuz i fucked every single transition for 4 hours
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:30 PM - 10 October, 2014
Quote:
I made my first nice transition yesterday and i recorded it! best feeling ever lol, especially when i got mad cuz i fucked every single transition for 4 hours

Sounds like your ready for the club!! Hurry up now your losing time!!!
Dj Brut 2:35 PM - 10 October, 2014
Ye i'll rock the club with my pioneer ddj sb! lol
Daktyl 5:55 AM - 13 October, 2014
recording sets is def not lame. keep at it and keep it fun. you'll think you're starting to get good, but when you listen back in a few years, you'll realize how bad you sucked in the beginning
raedonquan 2:13 PM - 13 October, 2014
Have a look at dj tutor on youtube.... practice and enjoy
Mighty Dragon Sounds 2:49 PM - 13 October, 2014
DJ TLM on Youtube is a good teacher as well.
Laz219 12:32 PM - 14 October, 2014
I'd always think learning with simple 4/4 dance music (or these days 'EDM') is easiest to get the basics down.
But really, as was said- pick something you like and even just play doubles of it. Move the pitch with your eyes closed and practice getting it back into line.
Dj Brut 4:01 PM - 14 October, 2014
Thanks for the info guys! i'll try to implement your advices. :)