DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Best dj speakers for around $500-600

liberated soul 3:54 AM - 5 May, 2006
What are the best dj speakers for around $500-$600?
OG Supernatural 4:29 AM - 5 May, 2006
Loaded question... $500-600 each or for a set?
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 3:44 PM - 5 May, 2006
yo Super, have you new babies come in tha mail yet?
Alixx J 4:24 PM - 5 May, 2006
I need to know the same thing, after a nice pair of unpowered monitors for my room at roughly that price...
Alixx J 4:26 PM - 5 May, 2006
Are KRKs any good? i was offered a set of bose 502a speakers for 250 pounds, 450 dollars (i think roughly)
Dj KaGeN 5:05 PM - 5 May, 2006
Alixx - How about getting one nice one that could be universal for other applications later on. Like a Mackie SRM-450? Sounds good at low volume and booms at high volume. Then maybe later on, you could scoop up another and be able to gig about town with the pair.
barrymccockner 5:08 PM - 5 May, 2006
I use unpowered JBL Eon's - you can push them harder that way and they will sound much better as the powered Eons's internal amp doesn't sound all that nice - even if you use an external EQ etc.

The problem is JBL doesn't make unpowered Eon's anymore - their suggestion to me (because I want some new black ones) was to buy the powered Eon's and remove their amp! nice huh?
Julls 6:23 PM - 5 May, 2006
Quote:
The problem is JBL doesn't make unpowered Eon's anymore - their suggestion to me (because I want some new black ones) was to buy the powered Eon's and remove their amp! nice huh?

ARE YOU SERIOUS? Thats freaking crazy. I about died when I read that. Hey barry, what kind of amp are you running to push those G2's?
barrymccockner 7:15 PM - 5 May, 2006
These EON's are the originals. Not G2's. G2's all have internal amps - that's what I was saying - JBL doesn't make unpowered EON's anymore - in their original line of EON's you had the choice of buying them powered or unpowered. The main complaint I've heard some dj's talking about is that the EON's are too bright sounding - I take care of that with my RANE EQ. I usually power them with a Crest powerline 400. I also think it's a must to use their powered subs which will give you a nice full rich sound.
A lot of guys prefer the Mackies, but I'm not a fan - you can't push them, and if you do they will just go into protect mode and shut down till they cool - the EON's will cool themselves the more you push them the more air circulates to do the cooling -so I'm told. I've had the same set since 96 with no issues at all. Never had a re-cone or anything, they sound just as good as the day I bought them.
keilamym 7:42 PM - 5 May, 2006
i have the mackies so i know they can be a problem when it gets extremely hot in the clubs.. as for the eon's, i'm told that the air vent is next to the woofer so the harder or more distance the woofer throughs, the more air has to pass by the amp.
DjWoody 8:12 PM - 5 May, 2006
I dont like the Eons. I rather get Mackies.
Julls 8:13 PM - 5 May, 2006
I rather go with the trust ol' Gemsound's. :-/
Julls 8:13 PM - 5 May, 2006
*trusty
tig ol' bitties 8:31 PM - 5 May, 2006
Quote:
I dont like the Eons. I rather get Mackies.

I rented the mackie and the eons and i preferred the eons. clearer sound to me. just personal preference i would say
OG Supernatural 8:40 PM - 5 May, 2006
Quote:
yo Super, have you new babies come in tha mail yet?

They get delivered today. First thing I'm doing is putting that empty Coke/Beer can 3' from the woofer to see if it will knock it down. My neighbors are gonna love me. LOL!
DJLorrence 8:44 PM - 5 May, 2006
hah!
OG Supernatural 8:51 PM - 5 May, 2006
A dj friend is on his way to buy those Mackie 1521 tanks from me right now. Glad to get rid of that hurnia!

Yeah... I hear the truck outside now!!!
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 10:06 PM - 5 May, 2006
u mean you can hear the hoofs of dem reindeer on tha roof :)

jingle bells
jingle bells
jingle all tha way....
barrymccockner 2:47 AM - 6 May, 2006
Quote:
*trusty
don't you mean "crusty"?
liberated soul 6:05 AM - 6 May, 2006
Well, originally my question was for around $600 a set, but im realizing I wouldn't get great quality for that price, so I guess more like under $1000 for a set.

Anyone know which would be a better setup?
2 JBL JRX 115's with a crown 602 amp.
2 Powered Mackie's SRM450 or
2 Powered JBL Eon G2's?

or anything else of comparable price/value?
OG Supernatural 6:52 AM - 6 May, 2006
I personally do NOT like the EON's... the Mackie 450's blew em away in a side by side.

I also prefer active speakers now because as a mobile dj they give you more options for different situations.

Check out the EV active speakers, I have heard good things about those.

The JBL JRX and a crown would be solid. However, you still need a sub.
DJ Unique 6:59 AM - 6 May, 2006
Also check out the Yorkville NX550P & NX750P.
Some people say they are even better than the Mackies.
www.yorkville.com
liberated soul 7:13 AM - 6 May, 2006
If I go with the active speakers such as mackie 450's or the York's would I still need a sub?
OG Supernatural 7:58 AM - 6 May, 2006
Quote:
If I go with the active speakers such as mackie 450's or the York's would I still need a sub?

Idealy...yes. Anything over 75 people use a sub.
OG Supernatural 7:59 AM - 6 May, 2006
Quote:
Also check out the Yorkville NX550P & NX750P.
Some people say they are even better than the Mackies.
www.yorkville.com

Push... I know another dj that just got Yorks and likes them. However, they are very hard to find to have a listen.
DjWoody 6:44 PM - 6 May, 2006
I played on some Yorks during a rave in Mexico and they were freakin! I loved them, but like you said, hard to find.

www.yorkville.com
DJMark 8:46 PM - 6 May, 2006
Quote:
I personally do NOT like the EON's... the Mackie 450's blew em away in a side by side.

I've done the same comparison, with the same conclusion. The Eon's seemed extremely harsh and colored, in comparison to the relatively neutral sound from the Mackies.

The only bad things about the Mackies are the well-known thermal issues (fairly easy to solve with a fan bolted to the heatsink) and that the high end gets brutally harsh when the levels are pushed.
DJ Unique 9:36 AM - 7 May, 2006
Has anybody been able to listen and compare the Mackie SRM450 and the Yorkville NX550P. I want to convert to an active speaker set-up.
ejayian 10:34 AM - 7 May, 2006
I havent heard anyone mention mccauley's do they not make good speakers anymore?
matt212 11:30 AM - 7 May, 2006
Quote:
Has anybody been able to listen and compare the Mackie SRM450 and the Yorkville NX550P. I want to convert to an active speaker set-up.

Get the NX55P, the NX550P is the older, discontinued model. Both are still better than the 450
matt212 11:31 AM - 7 May, 2006
^^and cheaper
liberated soul 7:03 PM - 7 May, 2006
How is the yorkville's with heat? Is it better with handling temp issues as opposed to the mackie's?
matt212 8:39 PM - 7 May, 2006
Way better with the heat. I've pushed them hard for 4 hours min. most of the times I used them. Didn't cut off until I hit the power swich.
JustForKicks 8:57 PM - 7 May, 2006
nobody here messes with Cerwin Vega?
matt212 11:41 PM - 7 May, 2006
Haven't heard nothing but the big Cerwin stuff, sounds good, but too big for my liking. Do they even have powered speakers? With the Cerwin's, you have to have a big amp and alot of empty space to put those. Big amp plus big speakers equals big money spent. Nothing wrong with spending big money, but if I do, I want something that isn't a hassle with extra wires, amps and space. Just my thoughts.
DJ Unique 3:53 AM - 8 May, 2006
Cerwin Vega was big in the 80's and early 90's. Not sure how good their stuff is because not too many people buy them. I do own 2 bass bottoms SL36, which weigh 166 lbs each and I hate to take to gigs. I take instead 2 JBL MP418S that weigh 64 lbs each.

Hey matt212
Do you own the NX55P's?
Why did you originaly choose Yorkville over anything else?
Where did you buy them?
DJ 3pm 4:09 AM - 8 May, 2006
i'm looking for a pair of unpowered speakers that will handle 300rms (what my amp is pushing per channel @ 4ohms).

the amp is 4x300 and i already have some (no name) 10's on 1 of the channels as monitors. i figure 2 speakers and 1 sub on each of the other 3 channels would do me fine for mobile.

i've never really had to handle this stuff before (always plugged&played on other peoples systems) so i'm not sure what to get. i've got a wedding come up soon so i plan on using that deposit (and probably back-end) to pickup some speakers.
matt212 6:30 AM - 8 May, 2006
Quote:
Hey matt212
Do you own the NX55P's?
Why did you originaly choose Yorkville over anything else?
Where did you buy them?

Naw, I got the NX750P's. I heard the NX550P's before I got mine. I choose the Yorks because I pretty much went through everthing as far as speakers. Mackie seemed to be to standard as far as speakers because they were good and you can find them anywhere. The Yorks just sound better and don't overheat like the Mackies. I had a chance to hear the Yorks because there's a guy that sells them where I'm at. I had to get them on line, because his prices were high compared to other places. If you like the 450's, you'll love the 55P's. With that said, for that price range go with Yorkville. If you can spend some extra cash, get some KV2 Audio's. You can ask DJ Supernatural about these. We have been plotting for like a month, trying to hear the hype. Believe the hype. I drove an hour just to hear them, and came back with a receipt, and I just got my Yorks about a month before that. So that should tell you something.
matt212 6:36 AM - 8 May, 2006
Unique, check your PM.
OG Supernatural 6:36 AM - 8 May, 2006
Ha! Did my first gig with em this weekend...Unbelievable!
matt212 6:42 AM - 8 May, 2006
Showoff. LOL!
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 4:03 PM - 8 May, 2006
Quote:
Yeah... I hear the truck outside now!!!

pic mr. supa, we wanna see your new babies :)
clore46 5:55 PM - 8 May, 2006
I have a pair of jbl jrx115's that i paid $575 for the pair. Used them for the first time this weekend. They performed very well, lacking a little on the low end though.
liberated soul 8:31 PM - 8 May, 2006
what amp are you using with the jrx115's?
brotha reese 9:01 PM - 8 May, 2006
liberated soul, I recomend the yamaha speakers they sound good and i know you can get a used pair for 400.00 to 500.00 the model number is club115v.they are a 2 way speaker with a 15inch woofer and a nice horn. they run at 8ohms 500 watts to 1000 watts peak power. for an amp i recomend qsc rmx2450. it runs 500 watts at 8ohm perside. that combo sounds real good.if your on the budget.good luck!
matt212 9:11 PM - 8 May, 2006
Yeah Super, let's see them KV's. I can look at mine, but I want to see the EX 12's together with my...er I mean your sub. LOL!
DJ Yaz 10:26 PM - 8 May, 2006
one word... Mackie.
matt212 11:08 PM - 8 May, 2006
Quote:
one word... Mackie.

Have you used or heard the Yorkvilles? By you saying that, I don't think you have. No offense, but Mackie right now can't touch the Yorks.
matt212 11:11 PM - 8 May, 2006
And had to make another post, because I didn't want to use KV2 and that M speaker in the same post. KV2 will blow every other speaker that has been mentioned out the frame. Believe it.
matt212 11:15 PM - 8 May, 2006
This thing needs edit. But back to the original question, KV2 is out of your range that you are looing for, but the Yorks are. If you are looking for powered, get the NX55P's. They will kill the SRM450 and they are cheaper. I don't really deal with passive speakers, so I really don't have any useful input for you in that aspect.
DJ Yaz 11:50 PM - 8 May, 2006
I have heard them and i prefer Mackie. Not only for sound quality but for durability. You are entitled to your opinion, and it looks like you are pushing the york's pretty hard. Glad they are workin well for you.
Dj Greg G 1:02 AM - 9 May, 2006
Yamaha MSR400 Nasty wicked speakers. Everyone's using the Mackies
they sound good but the Yamaha's are nice. They have the subs that go with them as well. The only thing I hate about these speakers as well as all the powered ones is that they scar very easily and you are gonna bang them up. I use these for my small set, they can rock 250 to 350 people without the subs.

The bass is tight. I'm using these speakers with a UREI 1620le mixer and a DBX EQ. I wasn't a big fan of powered speakers and I still have a Yorkville set with a bunch of QSC amps for bigger events, but after 25 years of Mobile djing, you can't beat the time it saves to set up and the wear and tear they save on your back.
matt212 2:09 AM - 9 May, 2006
Quote:
I have heard them and i prefer Mackie. Not only for sound quality but for durability. You are entitled to your opinion, and it looks like you are pushing the york's pretty hard. Glad they are workin well for you.

Naw, actually I'm pushing the KV's hard. I just happened to own Mackie, Yorkville, JBL, B-52 and KV2. The Mackie's actually clip out and overheat when you are just starting to rock the party. If you called that durability, to each its own. That's why I got rid of the Mackies. If you like harsh sounds at high volumes, again, to each its own.

i78.photobucket.com

When place against each other at the same time, I think you have more of a comparison. But then again, these are just my thoughts. The speakers in that photo rank first to last, left to right, in my opinion. But my opinion is only worth .02 cents, if that.
Dj Greg G 2:36 AM - 9 May, 2006
You think the KV's sound better than the York EF500's?
DJ Yaz 2:59 AM - 9 May, 2006
Matt, again you are entitled to your opinion. ...we have had a lot of people posing on here pushing products, as a result I tend to take people more seriously when they have a more open minded approach and that have been around for a long time. I think the wild success of the mackies speaks to their broad appeal.
matt212 4:07 AM - 9 May, 2006
Quote:
You think the KV's sound better than the York EF500's?

Hell Yeah!!
matt212 4:16 AM - 9 May, 2006
Quote:
Matt, again you are entitled to your opinion. ...we have had a lot of people posing on here pushing products, as a result I tend to take people more seriously when they have a more open minded approach and that have been around for a long time. I think the wild success of the mackies speaks to their broad appeal.

I do have an open mind, but I'm a DJ that hates to spend more money than I have to. If I see a fellow DJ about to make the same mistake I did, I'm going to at least say, "Hey watch out for the hole." Hey, there is always a new kid on the block everywhere you go. Just because I just registered, doesn't mean I haven't been around. I just speak when I have something useful to pass on from past experiences. I don't thread hop on something I have no idea of. I think the success of Mackie broad appeal comes from thier broad availabilty.
liberated soul 5:45 AM - 9 May, 2006
Anyone looking to buy or trade for my used bose 802 speakers or brand new crown 602 amp?
DJLorrence 6:41 AM - 9 May, 2006
ive never even heard of KV or York
matt212 6:53 AM - 9 May, 2006
Quote:
ive never even heard of KV or York

That's my point. LOL!
DJ Yaz 3:06 PM - 9 May, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
. I don't thread hop on something I have no idea of.

www.scratchlive.net

Okay you win... You and your speakers are the best.
matt212 7:59 PM - 9 May, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
. I don't thread hop on something I have no idea of.

www.scratchlive.net

Okay you win... You and your speakers are the best.

I don't know why you quoted that part of whole my comment. That wasn't even directed toward you, it directed toward myself. Somebody has some insecurities. It's a saying that I always say, "If you throw a rock in a pack of dogs, the one that barks is the one you hit." Its like being at a football game, and everytime there's a huddle, the must be talking about you. For some reason you overlooked the whole meaning of giving useful information and took it as a personal attack. As far as me winning, I didn't know it was a contest. I just backed my info. up with relative facts, instead of saying Yorkvilles are the best period. If you can't respect that, then that thread you just linked was more on a self image reflection of yourself, because for the life of me, I don't see what any of that has to do with Mackie's overheating and clipping out.
Jitz 3:48 AM - 10 May, 2006
I've done all my homework on this topic. Being from Toronto (where Yorkvilles are made) they are readily available. I actaully A/B tested the mackies and yorkvilles (side by side), not a huge diff- maybe the mackies throw farther cuz of the 2 inch horn as opposed to 1 inch on the nx55p's (the yorkville equiv to srm450), ans possibly the mackies have a small edge on low end. but the bottom line is if you use a mackie as a floor monitor wedge style it WILL cut out on you. I can't afford that- especially if used as mains. also after a few hours use- they sound sharp and hurt your ears. Yorks dont over heat and they dont give you harss sound,

2nd advantage- the yorks have a bulit in mixer in the back- this is amazing! you can plug a mic and a line in (from mixer, laptop, ipod), and you are ready to roll. its great popping in your patio for summer bbq's.

fianlly, yeah, 75 people max before you need subs- unless you are using for PA only- then 400+.
DJ Yaz 4:26 AM - 10 May, 2006
Matt212. Check your PM. I would love to continue our loving dialoge but I'm sure no one else wants to hear it.
OG Supernatural 4:46 AM - 10 May, 2006
@ Jitz...I can def confirm what you have said about the Mackies. When pushed they do get harsh and shortly after will cut out to cool down. Although, I have only had one experience where only one of two 450's cut off due to heat. I noticed a few times the harshness at the end of the night.

Matt212 has shared a lot of info regarding his Yorks with me and they sound like they do have the edge on the Mackie.

Anyone have first hand info on the active EV's? I've also been hearing good things about them.
DJ GaFFle 10:28 PM - 10 May, 2006
Hey guys, I already have the SRM450's but I need a powered sub. Has anyone heared or ever considered the QSC HPR 15" or 18". I'm leaning towards a 15". I don't think I want the Mackie 15" because I'm hearing everyone say they get blown away by Yorks and KV2's. That may be hype but I think I'm gonna do a side-by-side comparison with the QSC's at Guitar Center.
OG Supernatural 12:22 AM - 11 May, 2006
I also own the Mackie 15 sub and have also done the side by side with the QSC. I like the mackie 15 sub better.

The QSC has more watts but it also starts clipping and flappin before the Mackie when turned up to the same volume (so what good is having more watts?). The Mackie is also smaller (more compact) than the QSC.
DJ GaFFle 7:08 PM - 11 May, 2006
Quote:
I also own the Mackie 15 sub and have also done the side by side with the QSC. I like the mackie 15 sub better.

The QSC has more watts but it also starts clipping and flappin before the Mackie when turned up to the same volume (so what good is having more watts?). The Mackie is also smaller (more compact) than the QSC.

Thanx SuperNat...I still may go have a listen for myself. I would like to stay in the Mackie family but I mostly care about overall sound quality and longevity.

BTW: I saw some of the wedding pics on your website. Do you hand pick the brides you DJ for? Some of them and their bridesmaids are lOOkers!
OG Supernatural 7:22 PM - 11 May, 2006
Quote:
BTW: I saw some of the wedding pics on your website. Do you hand pick the brides you DJ for? Some of them and their bridesmaids are lOOkers!

Ha! The bridesmaids... when will they learn their drinking limit at weddings. At a recent wedding they actually had to carry a bridesmaid out but the interesting thing was the group of guys posted up outside of the ladies room earlier in the eve??? Apparently it was like a self serve drive through. LOL!
liberated soul 7:49 PM - 11 May, 2006
Quote:
Apparently it was like a self serve drive through. LOL!

Lmao!
liberated soul 3:22 AM - 16 May, 2006
I am being offered a killer deal on some powered qsc speakers. QSC HPR153F. Does anyone know if these are good speakers? Or how they compare with powered mackies or powered jbl's, etc.
liberated soul 3:27 AM - 16 May, 2006
I think there were a few opinions stated on these, but I would like anyone elses opinions.
DJ Reflex 3:46 AM - 16 May, 2006
A couple years ago I bought the BOSE 802 Gold System (2 802 satellites and a 502 BP subwoofer). The mids and highs are powered by a Carvin amp - 300 watts, and the sub is powered by a Peavey 8.5 - 900 watts bridged. The whole thing is controlled (EQ'ed) by the BOSE cross-over. I must say, this system rocks for its size! The 802's are no bigger than a small suitcase and only weigh 35 lbs each (16 kg). The sub is also very compact, yet cranks out some serious low-end. It was a bit pricey, but better than hauling a ton of equipment out to every gig. Now, set up is a snap and no more back pain! :) BTW, I DJ weddings, school dances, and local bars/clubs. This system can throw sound out in a mid-sized gym, but it does have its limitations. I use a second sub for larger venues. Pro's - Compact size, small power requirements for good sound, clean, crisp music with no ear fatigue, and wide sound dispersion for any sized room. Also, virtually indestructable! Con's - COST ($3000 for 3 speakers and controller), only good for small to medium sized venues (large gyms/clubs require additional systems). On a side note,I was in a club down in Mexico that used the BOSE Waveform tube subwoofer... My God, the sound was incredible! Do your own sound tests, I've purchased many speaker systems and tested plenty of sounds. Eventually, I started building my own systems for my own unique sound styles. Any speaker system can sound good or bad deopending on where or how it is used!
OG Supernatural 5:27 AM - 16 May, 2006
Quote:
I am being offered a killer deal on some powered qsc speakers. QSC HPR153F. Does anyone know if these are good speakers? Or how they compare with powered mackies or powered jbl's, etc.

They sound better than the Mackie 1521's. However, still fairly heavy.
romerom 3:36 PM - 16 May, 2006
I have the mackie powered 18" and it is badass.. even has wheels for when you gotta roll it into the club or what not.

I love it so much i drilled a hole on the side and filled it with warm oatmeal so I could pleasure myself into it.. kind of hard to explain the hole to people who see it at the events I spin at but I just pass it off like it was a tight shot-group of bullet holes cause i'm "gangsta"
OG Supernatural 5:28 PM - 16 May, 2006
^^^Daaaaang...
punosion 6:48 PM - 16 May, 2006
Quote:
I have the mackie powered 18" and it is badass.. even has wheels for when you gotta roll it into the club or what not.

I love it so much i drilled a hole on the side and filled it with warm oatmeal so I could pleasure myself into it.. kind of hard to explain the hole to people who see it at the events I spin at but I just pass it off like it was a tight shot-group of bullet holes cause i'm "gangsta"

HAH, this is just over the line. >:) Why not just dangle your sack on it for a while?
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 10:52 PM - 16 May, 2006
i prefer luke warm tapioca pudding myself
DJLorrence 12:36 AM - 17 May, 2006
i like taking cantelopes, throwing it in the microwave for a few minutes, then cutting a hole and stroking away for hours on end.
OG Supernatural 6:18 AM - 17 May, 2006
WTF!!! lol!
rubidj 8:32 PM - 17 May, 2006
I own 2 Das Audio Monitor 8
They are Spanish monitors and its sound is very clear and with a lot of power.
www.dasaudio.com
OG Supernatural 10:13 PM - 17 May, 2006
^^^You don't use them to gig though right???
matt212 12:51 AM - 18 May, 2006
Okay, first time even hearing about das.
rubidj 5:50 PM - 9 February, 2007
no...they are used only at home.
Be sure...they have a fine audio.
Great monitor with hifi sound.
Jcic88 9:21 PM - 7 September, 2011
I would like to hear some opinions about the RCF 515A active speaker nd how they stack up to the competition.
DJ Rosoliddini 8:30 PM - 14 November, 2013
Onkyo HT-S5500
Or Pioneer speakers
I advice you to use JBL Speakers
thanks ,,
visit me on youtube
DJ Rosoliddini 8:31 PM - 14 November, 2013
Visit me on youtube and subcribe,,,,, Watchwww.youtube.com
the_black_one 10:11 PM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
Visit me on youtube and subcribe,,,,, Watchwww.youtube.com

or not

NM NH
pdidy 11:50 PM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
Onkyo HT-S5500

Or Pioneer speakers

I advice you to use JBL Speakers

thanks ,,

visit me on youtube

You're new here so let me help you out, don't give advise about things you don't know about just so you can advertise yourself or a crappy video. People will always see through this and it will forever tarnish what ever reputation you have left. IJS.....
DJ Rosoliddini 3:49 PM - 7 July, 2017
lol