DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DN-X1700: Denon's new flagship 12" mixer

J.J. 12:09 AM - 3 April, 2009
Have you guys seen the information coming in on the new DN-X1700 mixer.
www.dn-x1700.com

DN-X1700 Key Features

-4ch Table Top Digital Mixer for DJs
-High Quality Audio – Worlds First DJ Mixer w/32-Bit DAC Output
-2 Independent Effectors
-USB2.0 Interface (MIDI Control/Soundcard)
-Matrix Input Assignment with MIDI (USB Audio) and Digital Input
-45mm VCA Cross Fader (Flex Fader)
-60mm VCA Channel Fader
-Low latency sound from PCs by ASIO driver
-Independent 3-Band Parametric EQ Kill (High-Mid-Low)
-3.5 inch QVGA TFT Color Display for easy navigation
-Built-in Limiter Setting (output)
-Shipping Summer 2009
-Price: TBA
djdragon 5:33 AM - 3 April, 2009
Oh hai Denon welcome to the DJ game again LOL
DJ Unique 6:24 AM - 3 April, 2009
Nice-looking mixer.
Audio1 6:31 AM - 3 April, 2009
Looks like alot of fun. FX galore + 32-Bit DAC!
VJ Justin Allen 10:12 PM - 4 April, 2009
The colors are a bit weird on it.
Rebelguy 10:44 PM - 4 April, 2009
Hope they are paying royalties to Pioneer and Ecler for jacking the DJM-800 and Evo 4 design. Before you get excited let's all remember...it's Denon.
blackavenger 12:36 AM - 5 April, 2009
Quote:
DN-X1700 Key Features

-4ch Table Top Digital Mixer for DJs
-High Quality Audio – Worlds First DJ Mixer w/32-Bit DAC Output
-2 Independent Effectors
-USB2.0 Interface (MIDI Control/Soundcard)
-Matrix Input Assignment with MIDI (USB Audio) and Digital Input
-45mm VCA Cross Fader (Flex Fader)
-60mm VCA Channel Fader
-Low latency sound from PCs by ASIO driver
-Independent 3-Band Parametric EQ Kill (High-Mid-Low)
-3.5 inch QVGA TFT Color Display for easy navigation
-Built-in Limiter Setting (output)
-Shipping Summer 2009
-Price: TBA

Yeah, I think I finally found a mixer to replace my Korg Zero-4!!!

This thing is bonkers w' options/effects possibilities.

Quote:
The colors are a bit weird on it.

I like the color scheme, though I do own the most colorful mixer out there.

Quote:
Looks like alot of fun. FX galore + 32-Bit DAC!

Yeah, those 32-bit converters are just sickening.

Quote:
Before you get excited let's all remember...it's Denon.

I love how kats on here refuse to think that a company can learn from their mistakes and finally release a good product.....look at the 3700. Those who own one don't seem to be complaining of any issues like the owners of the 3500 did. Cut Denon (any company) some slack, and stop being so prejudice. Let's see what becomes of this.
DJMark 1:39 AM - 5 April, 2009
Quote:
I love how kats on here refuse to think that a company can learn from their mistakes and finally release a good product

Skepticism originates with experience. Examples of companies "learning from their mistakes" and suddenly releasing products that don't suck are quite rare. Unfortunately the reverse is much more common...

But this mixer "on paper" looks pretty decent, so maybe (if Denon is in fact stepping up their quality) Pioneer's got some competition for their DJM-800...since that seems to be what this new mixer is directly going up against.
4mydawgz 1:45 AM - 5 April, 2009
the 3500 isn't all as bad as people make it out to be.
DJ Sniffles 8:21 AM - 5 April, 2009
This has a lot of fancy features but looking at this, it's nowhere near as versatile as the 800
blackavenger 8:40 AM - 5 April, 2009
Quote:
This has a lot of fancy features but looking at this, it's nowhere near as versatile as the 800

You are joking, right? Versatile! How on God's green Earth is the DJM-800 versatile? Versatile is having 2 independent (though stackable) effects processors, while still having effects sends/returns, matrix routing, and MIDI/MIDI Audio/Audio selectable per channel.

Last time I checked, the 800 was either MIDI or not, and unfortunately only has 1 effects processor.

I own the Korg Zero-4. My Korg is "effectively" (pun intended) better than the X1700, but even I can see the benefits of this vastly superior (on paper) product. Give credit where credit is due.

This Mofo is a BEAST!
BriChi 3:04 PM - 5 April, 2009
And also remember, A&H had a lot to do with this mixer too according to Denon.

I believe Denon and A&H are is some kinda partnership or something, If someone has the exact info please correct me if I am wrong
Konix 4:05 PM - 5 April, 2009
www.skratchworx.com

Denon and A&H are now both owned by the same company, D&M Holdings Inc. That's about it.
djchrischip 4:26 PM - 5 April, 2009
Pioneer has one effects processor but also has channel effects ( those 4 blue buttons on the side of the mixer by the mic section)
djchrischip 4:28 PM - 5 April, 2009
N wat do u mean the 800 is either midi or not. I'm lookin into the mixer n I want to know way more about it. (It would be my first time dealing with midi)
blackavenger 4:43 PM - 5 April, 2009
Quote:
N wat do u mean the 800 is either midi or not. I'm lookin into the mixer n I want to know way more about it. (It would be my first time dealing with midi)

It means you can either have it in "MIDI Mode" or in "Mixing Mode", not both at the same time. Also, those 3 little effects off to the side hardly constitute as an additional effects processor.

It's pretty obvious that Denon took the best attributes of both the DJM-800 and Korg Zero4, and fused them into one mixer.

In my personal opinion the Korg still has both of these mixers beat on the functionality of using the effects, but Korg fucked up on "Build Quality" & "Sound Quality", so this is why I am considering snatching this X1700. It's got "just about" all the features of the Zero4, but with the "build & sound" more comparable to the DJM-800.
djchrischip 10:55 PM - 5 April, 2009
Wait I thought the beauty of the 800 vs the behringer p.o.s. Was the fact that it could be both midi n audio mode at the same time. I could be wrong but Idk honestly lol
BriChi 11:04 PM - 5 April, 2009
I am still lost on the Midi or not comment too.

I use the 800 4 times a week and use the midi to control the fader for VSL and some video effects. I dont have to do anything but plug the midi from the mixer into the laptop and map serato to it. When doing this, it does not affect anything on the mixer that would be a drawback
djchrischip 12:40 AM - 6 April, 2009
Ya ok my ? Is say I map the crossfader to the VSL one will I not be able to use it for sound mixing?
BriChi 12:41 AM - 6 April, 2009
yes u can, the mapping of the fader had nothing to do with the sound. i have it mapped to vsl and the mixers audio still acts as it should that's why I dont understand why that was mentioned above about "midi or not"
Rebelguy 12:44 AM - 6 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

You are joking, right? Versatile! How on God's green Earth is the DJM-800 versatile? Versatile is having 2 independent (though stackable) effects processors, while still having effects sends/returns, matrix routing, and MIDI/MIDI Audio/Audio selectable per channel.

Last time I checked, the 800 was either MIDI or not, and unfortunately only has 1 effects processor.

I own the Korg Zero-4. My Korg is "effectively" (pun intended) better than the X1700, but even I can see the benefits of this vastly superior (on paper) product. Give credit where credit is due.

This Mofo is a BEAST!

The Ecler Evo 4 has all these features and I am pretty sure it will sound way better than the Denon.
djchrischip 12:46 AM - 6 April, 2009
Black avenger secretly works for denon as a promotor lol jk
BriChi 12:49 AM - 6 April, 2009
LOL......

Yeah, I am really not sure what he means by (Last time I checked, the 800 was either MIDI or not).

I use the midi out for ssl and it works great and does not mess with any audio functions that any normal mixer has. All the effects work, crossfader, etc....
djchrischip 12:52 AM - 6 April, 2009
Kk brichi n ur a pioneer marketing director lmao jk :)
BriChi 12:53 AM - 6 April, 2009
LOL,,,, NOT ME. A lot of people here know that I hate the Pioneer cd players, I have and love the Pio800 and have and love the Denon 3700's. So for not, I am mutual. LOL
BriChi 12:53 AM - 6 April, 2009
mutual=Neutral
djchrischip 12:58 AM - 6 April, 2009
Ya n we all kno where k smith falls into this. Denon fan boy lmao
BriChi 1:02 AM - 6 April, 2009
lol,, yes he does. He finally got the 3700's though so at least he is happy about that. The decks are insane, I love them
Rebelguy 4:18 AM - 6 April, 2009
Quote:
LOL......

Yeah, I am really not sure what he means by (Last time I checked, the 800 was either MIDI or not).

I use the midi out for ssl and it works great and does not mess with any audio functions that any normal mixer has. All the effects work, crossfader, etc....

I think he means that you can't select if you want it to be Midi or not. Say you used channels 2 and 3 for audio and 1 and 4 for midi. You could use 1 and 4 for audio as well but it would still send midi messages to whatever it was hooked up to. The Denon, I suppose, let's you select if you want the channel to be midi or audio. This is the same as the Ecler Evo 4. You set the channel to midi and use the midi functions but you can flip a switch and use the channel for audio but not have it send midi messages.
blackavenger 4:51 AM - 6 April, 2009
Quote:
Black avenger secretly works for denon as a promotor lol jk

hahaha.....I wish. Sure, they can give me money to boast/speculate about unreleased products. I wouldn't turn down a job like that.
blackavenger 4:54 AM - 6 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
LOL......

I think he means that you can't select if you want it to be Midi or not. Say you used channels 2 and 3 for audio and 1 and 4 for midi. You could use 1 and 4 for audio as well but it would still send midi messages to whatever it was hooked up to. The Denon, I suppose, let's you select if you want the channel to be midi or audio. This is the same as the Ecler Evo 4. You set the channel to midi and use the midi functions but you can flip a switch and use the channel for audio but not have it send midi messages.

Exactly what I meant. My Korg Zero4 does this too.
djchrischip 7:10 AM - 6 April, 2009
Ok so all in agreement that each mixer has its stregnths n weaknesses n that the x1700s in my eyes weakness isn't it isn't aesthetically pretty or pleasing to my eye. N I am likely to get a djm 800 in the next two weeks but does anyone think that they r coming out with a new 800 like product? Basically I don't want to pay bank if a new toy is on the way
djchrischip 7:11 AM - 6 April, 2009
*correction "x1700's weakness is that it isn't aesthetically pleasing" **
DJ Sniffles 7:41 AM - 6 April, 2009
Quote:
Ok so all in agreement that each mixer has its stregnths n weaknesses n that the x1700s in my eyes weakness isn't it isn't aesthetically pretty or pleasing to my eye. N I am likely to get a djm 800 in the next two weeks but does anyone think that they r coming out with a new 800 like product? Basically I don't want to pay bank if a new toy is on the way

I highly doubt it. Also, the 800 is a $1700 mixer for a reason! It will reign supreme for a few more years I'm sure
djchrischip 7:48 AM - 6 April, 2009
When did the 800 come out 06 maybe even perhaps late 05. N with the competition offering new products even at a cheaper price points maybe its time to start thinking of a redesign. Perhaps a step between the tech offered in the svm 1000. By this I mean well we may not see an av mixer but say a better some how version with like one or two more features like even better sound quality. Ie sl3 style. Nothing wrong with sl1 just new tech time for an upgrade u know.
BriChi 12:29 PM - 6 April, 2009
Quote:

You can do this though, As a test i mapped the midi from channel 1 (rotary) to the upfader for videos left channel. It did not affect the audio at all. As I raise the volume on channel 1 on the 800, the fader also moves within serato video so i am not sure why it is said that this cannot be done. That would actually be pretty stupid on Pioneers end to make a mixer that is either an audio mixer OR a midi controller. It has to do both at all times.
DJ Sniffles 5:01 PM - 6 April, 2009
Quote:
When did the 800 come out 06 maybe even perhaps late 05. N with the competition offering new products even at a cheaper price points maybe its time to start thinking of a redesign. Perhaps a step between the tech offered in the svm 1000. By this I mean well we may not see an av mixer but say a better some how version with like one or two more features like even better sound quality. Ie sl3 style. Nothing wrong with sl1 just new tech time for an upgrade u know.

Yea, theres competition offering new products at a cheaper price, but they don't compare at all in quality. Look at Traktor, VDJ, Torq. More specs, less money, and still can't hold a candle to Serato.

I doubt the 800 will be replaced by Pio. The only way I could see them replacing it in the near future is if they built an SL3 inside.
Rebelguy 5:57 PM - 6 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Yea, theres competition offering new products at a cheaper price, but they don't compare at all in quality. Look at Traktor, VDJ, Torq. More specs, less money, and still can't hold a candle to Serato.

I doubt the 800 will be replaced by Pio. The only way I could see them replacing it in the near future is if they built an SL3 inside.

Traktor has had quite a few converts from Serato so I really wouldn't say they fit into this category. The Denon is supposedly coming in around $1800 - $2000 so I am not sure I see a bunch of people jumping ship to use it.
DJ Sniffles 6:05 PM - 6 April, 2009
Wow, thats more than the 800!!! It better be freakin' good haha. I still doubt it will shake Pio's feathers. 800's are becoming the standard in most nightclubs, replacing the 600
blackavenger 7:41 PM - 6 April, 2009
Quote:
Wow, thats more than the 800!!! It better be freakin' good haha. I still doubt it will shake Pio's feathers. 800's are becoming the standard in most nightclubs, replacing the 600

Pio 800 - will always be the standard.
Serato Scratch Live - will always be the standard as well.

However, just because these two are the standard, does not mean that something may come along and dominate their features and usability. When I bought my Zero4 I NEVER thought it would be a standard club mixer by any stretch of the imagination. Though, I would argue that regardless of it's faults, the Zero4 is WAY more fun to mix on than the DJM-800. Not everyone buys gear based on whether it is, or will become, the user standard.

Yeah, I read on the Denon forums that they intend to charge more for the X1700 than the DJM-800. Which all but solidifies the fact that it will not become a standard by any means. Though, that doesn't mean that it won't be a superior (pure speculation) product.

Whatever, at this ($1,500 - $1,800) price point, I won't be getting one anytime soon, anyway. : (
DJ Young Herrera 7:51 PM - 6 April, 2009
In the last six clubs I've spun at the 57SL was installed. I think its becoming a toss up as to which is the standard between the 57SL and DJM800. I think more top 40 spots are more on the 57sl side and EDM on the PIO side. But that's just my experience.
blackavenger 8:02 PM - 6 April, 2009
Quote:
In the last six clubs I've spun at the 57SL was installed. I think its becoming a toss up as to which is the standard between the 57SL and DJM800. I think more top 40 spots are more on the 57sl side and EDM on the PIO side. But that's just my experience.

Wow, I have never seen a 57 as the club install. That's pretty cool. Every club in my city has a Pio DJM-800.
DJ Sniffles 8:06 PM - 6 April, 2009
Even in a hip hop/top 40 setting, I'd rather have an 800!! If you use them to their full potential, they are sooooo much fun to use
Rebelguy 8:14 PM - 6 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Wow, I have never seen a 57 as the club install. That's pretty cool. Every club in my city has a Pio DJM-800.

All the clubs I spin at in my area have the 57 installed. A few other spots have the 56, MP44 and one has the SVM-1000. No 800s though.