DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Mobile DJ Booths / Facades / Front Boards

KayPlaya 8:34 PM - 28 September, 2014
Mobile DJs, what are you guys using for mobile DJ booths?

Been looking online and came across the XPRS LiteConsole which is by far the best mobile booth I've seen but its only sold in the UK (can't look at it before I buy it) AND its $1600+ international S&H. Any one using anything similar or using facades/front boards? If so DIY or bought? Please let me know! Thinking about buying that booth but want to weigh my alternatives first
Thundercat 2:55 AM - 29 September, 2014
Most of the mobiles that I know that use facades got them from Dragon Frontboards.
KayPlaya 4:44 AM - 29 September, 2014
@Thundercat ,

Yea I was gonna go that route until I saw a youtube vid of them up close.. the gap caused by the hinges were a little to big for my liking and I didn't really care for the silver corner hinges that they left unpainted to match the black frames. Since posting this I actually just went to Home Depot to buy all the materials, and tools to just build one myself. Hopefully it works out!
dj_soo 8:36 AM - 29 September, 2014
here's a DIY instructional:

imgur.com
KayPlaya 9:19 AM - 29 September, 2014
@dj_soo looks like a pretty thorough instructional my man, thanks for sharing! I used a different wood, so mine was a bit more expensive. I'm at just over $100 for materials so far but haven't yet purchased the lycra. Still MUCH cheaper than what dragon front boards is charging. Like how they reinforced their corners in the tut so I'm definitely gonna follow that
Hitman303 6:55 PM - 29 September, 2014
post up pics when you complete your facade
Dj AR1 10:37 PM - 29 September, 2014
Dats too much work.
I made simple n i spent less then 100.
instagram.com
instagram.com

i can separate the panels for ez transportation n put them back together wit no problems.
KayPlaya 10:45 PM - 29 September, 2014
@Hitman303 I'll definitely post some pics and hopefully a video up!

@DJ AR1 exactly what part of it didn't you do to make it less work?
Dj AR1 10:52 PM - 29 September, 2014
Quote:
@Hitman303 I'll definitely post some pics and hopefully a video up!

@DJ AR1 exactly what part of it didn't you do to make it less work?

I cut the woods by hand with a saw, made the frames, paint them, fold the lycra on the edges n staple them.

Ppl not really gon look at behind of it, they gon see from the front.
N if u doing it for u, why so much work for the same look.
I made mines in like 6 hours. Everything done by my self n alone. If i would had help probably 3 hours the most.
BIGG BEAR 11:11 PM - 29 September, 2014
Seems like a lot of work and something else cumbersome to carry.
Would a printed cloth not be as good and much easier to carry?
KayPlaya 11:49 PM - 29 September, 2014
A lot of work? There isn't too much that would help advance my career or help secure more mobile gigs that can be done to be considered a lot of work as far as I'm concerned. All apart of the business. Exactly what would you do with a printed cloth to make it look as professional as a professional quality facade?

Quote:
Seems like a lot of work and something else cumbersome to carry.
Would a printed cloth not be as good and much easier to carry?
KayPlaya 12:04 AM - 30 September, 2014
Thought I'd share this, because ultimately this is a lot more professional than a facade (a professional look is my primary motivation) but it isn't inexpensive by any means!!

Still haven't found anything comparable so until I'm comfortable dropping that much money I'll make use of facade

Watchwww.youtube.com
Jairen 4:19 PM - 30 September, 2014
A lot of people want a Liteconsole, but the price is way up there at over $1k not including shipping from the UK where it's made. A slightly cheaper alternative is the Opti CS150 stand which I like better.
KayPlaya 6:52 PM - 30 September, 2014
@Jairen,
Man I wish I would've found that before I started building this facade! Would be cool to have both I guess. Don't necessarily like that its wider since I wont really need the extra space but its definitely a comparable option. Thanks for posting
KayPlaya 6:58 PM - 30 September, 2014
Spoke prematurely, looks like that unit is from the UK as well. Crazy that no company in the states have made something comparable
Jairen 7:30 PM - 30 September, 2014
An alternative is to build your own using truss.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Jairen 7:40 PM - 30 September, 2014
Or contact Clearconsole, but they aren't cheap either.
KayPlaya 8:14 PM - 30 September, 2014
Contacted them no response. Website isn't working for info, twitter and instagram posts are also outdated! Couldn't even get pricing info so I gave up on them
Dj AR1 12:48 AM - 1 October, 2014
How bout this...
m.homedepot.com

instagram.com

wont it be easier for a mobile dj and wayyy lighter?
Goshhhhhh !!!
KayPlaya 5:14 PM - 1 October, 2014
Look man, I don't care about what the easiest option is. I care about what the MOST PROFESSIONAL looking option is. If you bother to read the posts you'd know I've already went the route of building a facade, but only because my first option was too expensive. And if you bothered to look at what the XPRS is you'd see its just as if not easier to set up than a table and facade and (in my opinion) looks way better
KayPlaya 5:18 PM - 1 October, 2014
@Jairen, I looked at that "spaceship" dj booth video before as well.. (trust me when I say I've been scouring the web for something comparable to the XPRS booth) but from what I understand global trust is EXPENSIVE!

Gear4DJs got back to me and told me the XPRS would be around $2100 shipped. Sheesh!
dj_soo 5:32 AM - 4 October, 2014
If you have a facade in front of your table, does it really matter what kind of table you're using?
Dj AR1 2:28 PM - 4 October, 2014
Quote:
If you have a facade in front of your table, does it really matter what kind of table you're using?

I dnt think so. As longer it holds ur system secure. U good, dats the whole point of the facade.
I stick wit a light n ez to transport table.
KayPlaya 3:58 PM - 4 October, 2014
Quote:

@DJ_Soo,
if that question is directed to me, like I was saying earlier I wanted a mobile DJ booth before deciding to do a facade. If you've ever looked at a LiteConsole XPRS you'd see that there would clearly be no need for a facade with that booth. But since its $2100, for now, I decided to rock with a facade. I'm still more of a club/lounge DJ and don't do that many mobile gigs. Enough to justify spending 2 grand on a table at least. I still have lighting to worry about.