Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

PC for "analyzing"... laptop for "gigs"...

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
m0rph! 12:36 AM - 13 November, 2004
My PC is strong... my laptop is weak. Is there anyway that I can use my PC to analyze all of my tracks, and then COPY that information to my laptop? It would save me a lot of time rather than have my little lappy chugging away for 2,186 hours straight... :-\
nik39 3:51 AM - 13 November, 2004
Sure, simple way is, map your laptops harddrive as a network drive on your pc, start SSL, do the method as described in tips&tricks section (batch analyzing) and every track will keep the track overviews. Dont forget to make the shard on your laptop read _and_ writeable.
m0rph! 6:25 AM - 13 November, 2004
So are you saying that the "track overview" information is actually stored *with* the mp3? Or is it stored in some super-hidden secret directory somewhere? If it's the latter, then that information would only reside on the computer from which I use SSL to do the analyzation.

Running some experiments now....
m0rph! 7:40 AM - 13 November, 2004
Think I just solved the riddle. SSL in fact *does* store the "track overview" information within the music file itself (in my case, in my mp3s). I installed SSL on my PC and analyzed a few tracks there. Then I copied those tracks to my laptop and loaded them in SSL. The track overviews for those mp3s immediately appeared, so no extra analyzing was needed!!

Heh... my PC is about to get a workout... :-)
djpetey 10:57 AM - 13 November, 2004
that never even occurred to me..... serato guys, it is probable that the next update might listen to songs through a soundcard and set cue points without an ssl box? this would turn our desktops into good preparation systems for ssl
Diva 11:15 AM - 13 November, 2004
Has been suggested already. It does make a lot of sense.
Check scratchlive.net
Diva 11:24 AM - 13 November, 2004
ahhh... you posted in that thread too.

The more times you ask the better I guess? I agree it would be an excellent feature.
nik39 1:35 PM - 13 November, 2004
mOrph!, sorry, I was a bit unclear, you are right about the overviews, they are stored inside your mp3, as well as all additional track specific info like cue points, trackcolor, repeat mode etc.