Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Very strange looping-freeze problem when using serato dj & rane 62 - help!!

djmatman 1:53 AM - 26 September, 2014
Hi, I am having a very unusual issue I have not seen before, a form of a freeze whereby any loaded track only plays a very short part of the song on a continuous loop, despite no loop options being selected. All functions seem to work normally but tracks won't play, they just got locked into this bizarre continuous short loop.

To illustrate this issue more clearly I have recorded a short video and uploaded an unlisted youtube link demonstrating the problem (nb the actual audio of the tracks is not audible as this was recorded late at night when mixing in headphones):

Watchwww.youtube.com

Tracks only go back to playing normally when the usb lead is unplugged & re-connected, but once the issue has shown up it will return after just a few minutes of normal use. I have not had this problem when using my sl3 box.

The rane hardware is up to date so far as I can tell, version 2.21. I'm using serato dj 1.7 on a 2011 macbook pro with 16gb ram & 2.4ghz i7 processor.

I have also sent a support request to serato but thought I'd post here too as I'd really like to sort this before my gigs this weekend!

thanks,

Matt.
Frankie Glasses 3:36 AM - 26 September, 2014
This is what i am also getting. Wheeeew I thought i was the only one! I have no solutions and nor does serato (Yet)
Serato, Support
Martin C 5:00 AM - 26 September, 2014
Hi djmatman,

Thanks very much for reporting this. Unfortunately we have had very few reports of this so far and no resolution has been found yet! It'd be great if you would be willing to help us find out more about the issue. I have a few questions:

1. Does it happen in both INT or REL mode?
2. How often does it happen?
3. Where is your music library stored? Internal or external drive?
4. How much free space do you have on your internal drive?
5. What do the scopes look like in the setup screen?
6. Have you had this happen in Scratch Live?
7. Have you had this happen in previous versions of Serato DJ?
8. Do you use Serato Video?
9. Does it happen in the offline player?
10. What USB buffer size do you have set in the Serato DJ Setup > Audio tab

Thanks!
djmatman 1:04 AM - 1 October, 2014
Hi sorry for the delay, I did not think I had a response until I just got an email back from my support question from Scott there with the same qs - I have sent him this response but will post here in case Frankie Glasses or anyone else can see if we have similar answers etc.

Since I have requested help I have soley been using my sl3 box to avoid the issue - I just had a practise at home with the 62 for an hour and a half but the problem did not arise this time. When it has happened before it has been following 2-3 of hours use, when I use the mixer in a club it is often in use all night long so I would still be concerned about the problem coming back. I will keep using the 62 at home and try to find time to test it for longer periods so that when/if it happens again I can answer all your questions with certainty, for now here is what I can tell you:

1. Once the problem had occurred while using relative mode, switching over to internal or absolute modes did not stop the issue, the looping continued until the usb lead was disconnected regardless of the play mode. There was no way I could find to recover from this issue when playing live without disconnecting and reconnecting the usb lead, really a reset of the computer is required as once the problem has arisen it seems it is only a matter of minutes before it will come back.
2. So far I have only seen this happen twice, the last two times I have used serato dj with my rane 62 until just now. Both times after a long period of use.
3. External hard drive.
4. Currently 30 gb free space (probably a little more when the issue last happened)
5. I have my scopes set as close to circles as possible, they looked normal when this problem occurred too.
6. I have not seen this happen in Scratch Live, however for reasons I don't know scratch live is prone to crashing on me so I don't like to use that instead.
7. I haven't had this problem before installing serato dj 1.7, however the last time it happened i did try loading up serato dj 1.6.3 which i still have on my laptop before resorting to a reset, and I think the problem happened again with this. I will have to test to be completely sure of this the next time it happens, I'm about 90% sure! I think so as I still had to reset the laptop to carry on recording the podcast I was doing at the time.
8. Yes I use serato video. At the times of the problem occurring i was mixing mp3s, I am not sure if I had it switched on or not, will check to see if it makes a difference the next time this happens.
9. It doesn't happen in the offline player. Only when connected to the rane 62.
10. If I am using serato pitch n time I have the buffer size set to 5ms otherwise I get usb dropouts (unfortunately!). I turn this off and mix with the usb buffer on 1 if I don't particularly need pitch n time for a mix or want better vinyl response. I think I may have had the problem under both circumstances, but I'm not sure of that - will test this further. During my session earlier when it didn't happen I had pitch n time off and buffer set to 1 as I was practising intensive routines and wanted the optimum vinyl response.

btw I also have dicers plugged in, don't know if that makes any difference!
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:03 AM - 6 October, 2014
Hi djmatman,

Thanks very much for the thorough response, I apologise for the time its taken me to reply to you. Most of your answers are in line with what Frankie Glasses experiences too. I have a few questions I'd like to talk about in further detail though.

Quote:
8. Yes I use serato video. At the times of the problem occurring i was mixing mp3s, I am not sure if I had it switched on or not, will check to see if it makes a difference the next time this happens.

So you mention you use Serato Video, but at the times this problem happened, was Serato Video in use? Even if you were just mixing audio files - was the application open e.g you had your computer connected to a secondary display etc?

Quote:
btw I also have dicers plugged in, don't know if that makes any difference!

Definitely see if you can try reproducing it without your dicers or external drive connected. This may involved you moving a portion of music to your internal drive for testing purposes.

Its very interesting that you do not have this issue with the SL3.
djmatman 1:47 AM - 7 October, 2014
Hi Martin,

No worries about the response time, I think you guys do a great job with the amount of help people are probably asking for.

Serato video was definitely not actually in use & open, no. I just meant it may well have been enabled under the setup / expansion packs settings. In fact it was definitely enabled as the video tab is visible in the video I have made. Serato flip was also enabled.

I have not yet had another occurrence of the problem, which may seem like a good thing but I would prefer for it to happen again and so be able to hopefully troubleshoot a solution, rather than to be worried about it arising mid-set, in the meantime I am not confident taking my mixer to a club. I have only had one particularly lengthy practise session since my last comment here, but nothing went wrong there. I have also been using my sl3 at multiple gigs, for as long as 4 hours at a time and still had no problems with that whatsoever.

I remember now that I have deactivated serato flip since I last had an issue as a precaution, sorry I forgot to mention this before! It was late at night when I last had problems and this totally slipped my mind. I am wondering now if flip may have been the cause in some way, it would make sense that I have not had a problem since - I will turn it back on for my next session at home and see if I can repeat the issue.

Also for your info, if it is at all possible this could have been caused by some kind of clash with other programs that may have been running - I'd likely have had sophos anti-virus, little snitch firewall, and possibly google chrome active when the issue has appeared before.
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:11 AM - 8 October, 2014
Hey djmatman,

Thanks for confirming about Serato Video. It can be enabled, and the button might be available in the main screen, but actual application will still not be running until you click/open the window etc.

Frankie Glasses, has not mentioned the use of Flip, so I don't think its specific to any feature in use, video, flip etc, however it could be that just a general increase of CPU is causing something like this. Increases of CPU could come as a result of using other features, or as you've mentioned in your last paragraph, potentially another application running in the background.

I'd say continue to keep things as minimal as possible - close all background apps you aren't using, try and jam a bit without extra USB devices and stuff. This is not a permanent solution, but it might give some indication as to when this issue is and isn't happening. Definitely let me know if you see it come up again and provide me with details about what your setup was at the time.
Frankie Glasses 6:17 PM - 8 October, 2014
Quote:

Frankie Glasses, has not mentioned the use of Flip, so I don't think its specific to any feature in use, video, flip etc, however it could be that just a general increase of CPU is causing something like this. Increases of CPU could come as a result of using other features, or as you've mentioned in your last paragraph, potentially another application running in the background.

I do use flip and it is on my computer. I didnt mention it as i didnt have it active at the time of any issues and just assumed that it was not a cause of any issue. Flip is the MAIN reason why i want/need SDJ to work. If it wasnt for FLIP i would just stay on SSL.
@ Martin C does 1.7.1 fix any latency or any of the above problems or was it released just for the few issues that show on the release notes.
djmatman 8:07 PM - 8 October, 2014
I doubt it's anything to do with the cpu - I have a pretty powerful quad core macbook pro with 16gb ram and having tested with the other apps that may have been running as said the cpu meter stays green, the maximum level it reaches is probably less than a third full. You can see the meter in the video I posted is at a stable level: Watchwww.youtube.com
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:27 AM - 10 October, 2014
Quote:
I do use flip and it is on my computer. I didnt mention it as i didnt have it active at the time of any issues and just assumed that it was not a cause of any issue.

Yep, thats cool - I don't think it is specifically caused by Flip either.

Quote:
@ Martin C does 1.7.1 fix any latency or any of the above problems or was it released just for the few issues that show on the release notes.

No it does not. The problems we have been discussing in this thread so far, we do not know enough about in order to make any fix or resolution. You'd have to be more specific when about what you mean by problems with latency, if you specify, I can give you an update on the problem.

@Djmatman, thats very true that your CPU shows as quite stable in that video. Was just a theory though with the fact that it might happen based on you guys mentioning that it has happened with other apps running e.g Serato Video or Mix Emergency.

My next thoughts are trying to investigate whether it some kind of weird interference with inputs, or outputs of the signal that the mixer is passing on to the computer. Two reasons why I think its worth going down this path:

- You mention it doesn't happen with your SL3
- This issue isn't widely reported, and not reproducible here. This often (but not always) means its either specific to your computer or hardware device.

In my discussion with Frankie Glasses, I asked to try capture the problem outside of Serato DJ serato.com

Quote:
I have another idea I'd like you to try - of course it has be at the the time the issue occurs:

1. Download Audacity: audacity.sourceforge.net
2. Open Audacity and select your input device as the Rane Sixty-Two
3. Record one of the inputs (which should be your control signal)

We could compare this to the recording when the issue is not occurring. Totally worth getting familiar with this process before hand if you have never done it before, then you can be ready for when it happens. Let me know if you have any questions about how it works!

I think this would be also a valuable thing for you to try when you next see it happen.
djmatman 5:47 AM - 11 October, 2014
This issue has not showed up again for a while now despite a fair bit lot of use - but something else happened earlier tonight that makes me suspect it could be related to the mixer itself, and it's connection to the laptop being problematic, although I can't be 100% sure - here's why...

I took my rane 62 to a gig earlier, hoping that it would be ok as I haven't had any issues for a while, and brought out my sl3 box too in case of any issue. Not long into my set the music playing abruptly cut out on me - everything appeared normal, waveforms scrolling as usual, but no sound was being output! There was also no visible signal coming through the mixer channels. I unplugged the usb lead and plugged it back in and things went back to normal, similarly to the previous issue I was having with the strange audio looping - but not for long as the problem repeated itself again! I tried once more using a different usb lead and in the 2nd usb port in case that would make a difference, but again the music cut out. Output was not in the reds, there seemed like no reason for this to happen. I also tried a restart while the other dj was playing, & made sure all other programs were quit & wireless disconnected, even put the usb buffer setting to 10 and disabled pitch n time, serato video & flip, but the audio cut out once again. I resorted to plugging my sl3 box into the mixer and connecting that instead, and everything was fine for the rest of the night.

I suspect these issues may be related as they are both temporarily fixed by reinserting the usb lead. Have you had any other reports of audio cutting out when using the rane 62?

nb. note taken about recording the input - as I was panicked in a club earlier that was not the time and place for it, but if I can recreate either of these issues at home I will do just that.
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:14 AM - 13 October, 2014
Hmmm very interesting issue djmatman. Sorry to have that happen to you! I've heard of issues like that, but again and unfortunately not reproducible within the office - which does point to be specific to your device perhaps.

Again, it'd be awesome when a problem like that arises that if you could test if the device can be used as a soundcard for the operating system (the input recording wouldn't be useful for that particular problem I don't think) but I completely understand about not being able to take time to do that stuff in a club scenario.

If you still think there is a possibility that you could reproduce the issue at home to gather more information, that would be awesome and will give us confidence about where the problem lies. Alternatively if you think thats becoming less likely it might be worth considering Rane/your nearest service centre check out your hardware in person. Let me know what'd you'd be keen to do and I can help.
djmatman 11:41 AM - 17 October, 2014
I don't understand why but this problem hasn't happened at home since I last posted here! The setup at the club was identical so I have no idea why things would suddenly start acting normal now. However one thing that did happen that could be related was something I have seen before quite a few times and previously read about here, whereby suddenly a large lag occurred between vinyl movement and the response of the waveform, delaying response by maybe 0.5 secs - I remembered reading up on this and that making any adjustment to usb buffer size and pressing apply gets things back to normal. Perhaps the other issues are also buffer related and that could have worked as a quicker fix than reinserting the usb lead, I'm not sure. If it is usb buffer related is there anything I can do to help that? I already operate with buffer set to 5, as less seems to bring usb dropouts, even though back in scratch live days I would comfortably use this on it's lowest setting, and with a much lower spec laptop! Anything higher than 5 is not ideal for me as I like to scratch, a lot!

I'm in the UK and I think sennheiser are the only Rane distributor here, I think they do a repair service that involves posting equipment to them, I'm a bit hesitant to do this as I can imagine they will also not be able to reproduce the issue and might not do anything. If you know of any other place in the uk (preferably somewhere in London) please let me know.
djmatman 3:15 PM - 17 October, 2014
ps. I have had the rane 62 selected as the soundcard for the audio output of my laptop when it is connected, under system preferences / sound - I just tried to play something through that and audio came out choppy & distorted, in and out - I turned the mixer off and on again and it worked as normal. Possibly related.
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:20 AM - 21 October, 2014
Hey djmatman,

Definitely interesting that you had that problem when using it as a soundcard for your computer, it could be related for sure and it was what I was hoping we could catch. The next time that happens, please try recording the inputs via Audacity as I instructed, this would really help narrow down the issue.

Another idea I have is that when you are running Serato DJ using vinyl and you Sixty-Two, when the issue happens if you look in the setup screen at the scopes, you already mentioned that the circles look ok, but in the top left hand corner is a numeral value. If you could either screen capture or record video of what the numerical value is it would be awesome. If it seems to be "stuck in a loop" then this might further confirm that the input information being passed to Serato DJ is faulty, because the number displays a unique position in the control vinyl.

Quote:
However one thing that did happen that could be related was something I have seen before quite a few times and previously read about here, whereby suddenly a large lag occurred between vinyl movement and the response of the waveform, delaying response by maybe 0.5 secs - I remembered reading up on this and that making any adjustment to usb buffer size and pressing apply gets things back to normal.

It sounds like you may have already seen the FAQ on this issue. It might be related to your main issue, but I don't think it is. Many more users that yourself report this issue, and we also able to reproduce ourselves, unlike the issue you are reporting.

Regarding getting your Sixty-Two checked out by a service person, we will each out to the European Rane distributor to see if we can get a contact for you. Can you let me know where you purchased it? Was it second hand or brand new from a shop? Where abouts are you located?

Feel free to private message me that if you would prefer not to post the area you are from on this public forum.

Cheers!
djmatman 12:36 PM - 1 November, 2014
Thanks Martin, I've sent a PM!