DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How Often Do You Practice?

djransom 10:24 PM - 18 September, 2014
My goal is 2-3 days a week at the minimal between work and a family. How often do you practice?
4mydawgz 11:00 PM - 18 September, 2014
used practice like twice a week, but ever since my son's been able to crawl, he wont give me 2 minutes before he starts puling at my leg so he can play too.
DJ Reflex 11:22 PM - 18 September, 2014
My gear is hard to carry in the house, but when I can I practice mixing, primitive scratches, and video transitions about 3-4 times a month. Granted I'm a mobile DJ and some of my competitors can't understand why I would invest time practicing "just playing music"... Funny when they are surprised that I am booked every weekend when they are sitting on the couch griping about it! Practice makes perfect - and books gigs! :)
sumoJr 2:07 AM - 19 September, 2014
I scratch almost everyday even if for a few minutes
not that it really shows

single and 80% work for myself

family life sounds fun jk
yowordiagree 7:33 AM - 19 September, 2014
Couple times a week but my sons 3 and he's really shown an interest so we actually practice together lol although I have to put him on a chair as he's far to short to reach lol
DJ GOOK 9:54 AM - 19 September, 2014
^^ my son too 😂😂😂. Minimum 3 days a week
phonze 3:12 PM - 19 September, 2014
Depends how busy/often you're booked. But 3-4 times a week for 30 minutes to an hour is about right for me.
Robbie O 3:54 PM - 19 September, 2014
I was about to hijack your thread, but I did the right thing. Curious to hear about HOW you guys practice

serato.com

I don't practice as much I need to, but I think 2 times a week is good
DJ VEE 4:02 PM - 19 September, 2014
Quote:
My gear is hard to carry in the house, but when I can I practice mixing, primitive scratches, and video transitions about 3-4 times a month. Granted I'm a mobile DJ and some of my competitors can't understand why I would invest time practicing "just playing music"... Funny when they are surprised that I am booked every weekend when they are sitting on the couch griping about it! Practice makes perfect - and books gigs! :)

Don't understand their thinking. You're not just practicing "playing music", that's the easy part. You're practicing what songs doing good one after the other, where do I add cue points and loops, what songs are appropriate for that part of the event.... etc, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here. I get that too and just don't get it. For me, life just does not allow much time to practice, I should be practicing way more than I do. I don't have a specific number, it's more like if I get a chance to, I will. It's very sporadic.
DJ VEE 4:07 PM - 19 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Don't understand their thinking. You're not just practicing "playing music", that's the easy part. You're practicing what songs doing good one after the other, where do I add cue points and loops, what songs are appropriate for that part of the event.... etc, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here. I get that too and just don't get it. For me, life just does not allow much time to practice, I should be practicing way more than I do. I don't have a specific number, it's more like if I get a chance to, I will. It's very sporadic.

I am also in the mobile world. I usually make sure to really spend some time before a gig, (especially weddings), going through at the very least, songs that are requested by the bride and groom. I see what blends well, or what I can do different and things like that. (Kinda trading on the HOW here. I'll move on to the other thread, lol.
DJ Reflex 10:26 PM - 19 September, 2014
^^ Yup ^^

Setting up cue points and the like is the bare minimum for me. I guess I spend quite a bit of time with off-line player getting all this stuff ready. About 2-3 times a week.
phonze 2:07 AM - 20 September, 2014
Oh yeah cue point marking is critical. I got no interest in this serato flip automating everything for me, so I spend time thinking of ways to flip and memorize tracks myself.
Dj Rehab 1:18 PM - 20 September, 2014
Every single day. Juggles, cuts, cue work
Laz219 2:02 PM - 20 September, 2014
I have a permanent setup, my issue is more that besides technical exercises (scratching/juggling) I get bored after an hour or so- I feel like I need to create a 'practice library' of tracks I can have fun with, because I get bored when I have to try and listen to the currently popular shit I have to actually play out.
Dj Rehab 2:38 PM - 20 September, 2014
i have a turntablism folder that I mess with everyday, has all my routines. I have 4 turntables, only have to unpack my 62 and I'm set. Practicing the cuts and routines keeps my sharp in the club, no matter what the track. One of the best things you can do for yourself is have 2 setups...
Laz219 3:19 PM - 20 September, 2014
When I first bought a full sized coffin (turntables plus mixer) and realised I couldn't be bothered transporting it out of storage- the first thing I did was bought a second setup to be permanently setup.
I actually bought way worse (aka cheap) gear than my main rig. It was annoying to have to recalibrate to higher torque turntables and smooth faders of my usual gear after using it all day- but in a way that also worked well when I walked into new venues that had beat up/average gear and it only took me two seconds to get a feel for it.
O.B.1 10:46 AM - 21 September, 2014
I practice often (usually at least 1hr a day) but if I slack off and skip practice I notice I'm not always as sharp (technically) but the best "practice" is the experience of playing in front of a live audience. Because you can't practice that at home, but the more gigs you get under your belt, the better you become at reading a crowd and feeding off their energy.

But it's a great feeling to perfectly execute a new routine/scratch-combo/juggle that you spent all week getting dialed, because you only get the one chance if you attempt to do it live at a gig. So when you nail it in front of a crowd you immediately realize all the hard work is finally paying off...
Mr. Goodkat 5:08 PM - 21 September, 2014
Quote:
family life sounds fun jk

lol

when i'm feeling things every day for at least an hr.

when i'm bored about 5 out of 7 days of the week for at least an hr.
DJ Reflex 5:53 PM - 21 September, 2014
Quote:
But it's a great feeling to perfectly execute a new routine/scratch-combo/juggle that you spent all week getting dialed, because you only get the one chance if you attempt to do it live at a gig. So when you nail it in front of a crowd you immediately realize all the hard work is finally paying off...

Yup - had that last night at a wedding! :)
DJ Remy USA 9:25 PM - 22 September, 2014
Quote:
^^ Yup ^^

Setting up cue points and the like is the bare minimum for me. I guess I spend quite a bit of time with off-line player getting all this stuff ready. About 2-3 times a week.

yea Im always tagging in offline player almost hourly it feels like. I rarely practice its like tag new music and go DJ. I only practice with music about 1 or 2 a week. It needs to be everyday.
DJ Remy USA 9:26 PM - 22 September, 2014
Quote:
I have a permanent setup, my issue is more that besides technical exercises (scratching/juggling) I get bored after an hour or so- I feel like I need to create a 'practice library' of tracks I can have fun with, because I get bored when I have to try and listen to the currently popular shit I have to actually play out.

Agreed after about 30 minutes Im bored in the house, when I primarily a bed room DJ I could practice for hours anticipating when I would DJ again. Now its like meh after 30 minutes I be lucky if I last a hour practicing unless its scratching
DjJPilz 10:06 PM - 22 September, 2014
I would have to say about 3-4 times a weeks at least an hour is ideal. I mostly do technical exercises which I sometimes can go over more than an hour. However I need to up my practice since my goals are to do more battle gigs than just mobile/club gigs. Red Bull Thre3style competition would be something to work towards to.
Phuture2 2:14 PM - 25 September, 2014
At every Gig. Working gets your practice and performance in.
O.B.1 6:30 PM - 26 September, 2014
Quote:
At every Gig. Working gets your practice and performance in.

^+1 you can't really practice that at home.
ral 8:55 PM - 26 September, 2014
1-2 hrs after setup and before the crowd go in
DJ Construc 2:13 AM - 2 October, 2014
I practice all the fucking time... fuck having kids lol
eugguy 3:14 AM - 2 October, 2014
careful construc... If you switcha few words around you can change your fate.... Example: "I practice all the time fucking, i now have kids, fuck." Haha.

On the other hand. I practice every night if I can. Sometimes 15 min, sometimes 1hr plus. Just my time to let ideas form.
DJ Construc 4:17 AM - 2 October, 2014
I'm not worried, I support abortion
Mr. Goodkat 7:47 AM - 2 October, 2014
Quote:

Quote:

spoken like a true dj. tell em construc.
eugguy 10:37 AM - 2 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

spoken like a true dj. tell em construc.

Shit. I tried. Haha