DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Help what would you charge to Dj in a store in the mall?

Dj Mixstyles 1:49 PM - 12 September, 2014
Just throwing prices around its a 4hr gig where I have to drive an hour! But its in the mall, crazy promo gig
dj_ys 2:22 PM - 12 September, 2014
A few factors to consider:

How much do you normally charge?

Is this an independent store or a large chain?

Can you drive significant traffic to the store to increase their bottom line?

What day of the week?
selectajay 2:55 PM - 12 September, 2014
i remember doing gigs like this back in the 90s..

i had to bring turntables, Mixer & Records..the store had speakers..the gig may be good
promotion but ask yourself..

HOW much equipment will YOU need to to the job?

WHAT equipment will YOU need to bring?..

consider your GA$, TIME & LABOR!..

Remember you are spending 2 hours or more on the road for this gig!

Be honest with yourself about your skill level & self worth!..
ALEX REED 5:05 PM - 12 September, 2014
$400 in store credit (if you like the merchandise)
DJ DisGrace 11:26 PM - 12 September, 2014
Quote:
$400 in cash (It doesn't matter if you like the merchandise or not)

Don't sell yourself short
 6 12:00 AM - 13 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Don't sell yourself shorts

I think he means from the store.

nm
DJ DisGrace 12:49 AM - 13 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nm

Working for store credit is like working for free drinks
d:raf 1:25 AM - 13 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nm

Depends on the store; Sears is a lot different from Sbarro's. Also, store merchandise can be taken home and used for years (got some headphones and clothes this way); drinks are over & done with the same night.
dj_double_s 2:09 AM - 13 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nm

Depends on the store; Sears is a lot different from Sbarro's. Also, store merchandise can be taken home and used for years (got some headphones and clothes this way); drinks are over & done with the same night.

+1

Bars know you can't drink enough to make it worth your while, but if Sears gives you four brand new tires and a car battery, different story.
DJ DisGrace 9:05 PM - 14 September, 2014
Quote:

Quote:
Bars know you can't drink enough to make it worth your while, but if Sears gives you four brand new tires and a car battery, different story.

It still costs them way less than paying you in cash. In their mind you are a sucka, and they will never pay you cash from that point forward.
d:raf 11:47 PM - 14 September, 2014
Quote:

It still costs them way less than paying you in cash. In their mind you are a sucka, and they will never pay you cash from that point forward.

Anything you buy costs less for the store than it does for you.
DJ DisGrace 11:52 PM - 14 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

You don't say?

You're obviously missing the point here.... Accepting merchandise instead of cash devaluates your services.
DJ VEE 12:47 AM - 15 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You don't say?

You're obviously missing the point here.... Accepting merchandise instead of cash devaluates your services.

I agree. Cash only, not merchandise. Do they accept anything other than some form of monetary payment for their merchandise at the cash register?
d:raf 2:42 AM - 15 September, 2014
Occasionally a store will offer you more in merchandise than they can pay in cash, especially if it's a small independent store; I've been offered the choice between the two before. I still think it should be determined on a case by case basis.
 6 3:47 AM - 15 September, 2014
Quote:
Occasionally a store will offer you more in merchandise than they can pay in cash, especially if it's a small independent store; I've been offered the choice between the two before. I still think it should be determined on a case by case basis.

This

nm
Dj Mixstyles 1:37 AM - 25 November, 2014
I did BCBG store I think for 3 hrs for 75 I asked for more but they was on of budget or whatever but I wanted to hit the mall and pass out cards to the managers! 75 mite sound small but I look at exposure also what yall think? Now 4hrs is different
DJ DisGrace 1:40 AM - 25 November, 2014
Quote:
Now 4hrs is different

Nope. You still need to load gear, slug gear, set up gear, take down gear, slug gear,, load gear, unload gear. The amount of time you dj for, give or take an hour, doesn't really matter.
Dj Mixstyles 1:45 AM - 25 November, 2014
Ok so what would you hit em wit dj disgrace if you dont mind me asking
DJ DisGrace 1:17 PM - 25 November, 2014
I would say $200 has got to be your bottom number. Some people will say you should get a lot more, but it is in a store, not a club. It's an easy gig that's midday, so it's not cutting into other potential gigs. There is potential for networking, but the idea of having a dj in your store is to stand out from the rest of the stores. If you try and book gigs at other stores, they are just doing the exact same thing as the one next door. Not to mention they all know that you will work for $75...
phonze 2:39 PM - 25 November, 2014
There is potential for networking outside of just doing more stores as well. Though many times, as I've found, people will ask and take your card but never holler back at you. But hey, you never know.
Taipanic 2:54 PM - 25 November, 2014
If you do work out a deal in trade, make sure the trade amount is higher than what it would be in cash, example $200 cash or $400 in product. From what I recall seeing, the average mall gig is somewhere around 200 or lower. Unlike clubs, where you are constantly pushing to keep a dance floor, energy in the room, and people buying drinks, what you are doing for these mall gigs is providing a bit of atmosphere by live mixing with equipment, It's more about the show than the music - the music is the easy part these days. Plug phone into speakers, launch Pandora or Soundcloud, done! What they want to see is you actually mixing with the hardware and possibly promo announcements on the mic.
DJ Guayo 5:56 PM - 25 November, 2014
I used to do gigs for 2 hrs at Saks Fifth Avenue during the week (Tuesdays and Thursdays) for $200 every couple of months. They then tried to up the hours for the same price and I refused. They would have cocktails going around with hors d'hoeuvres. I was like i'm sure you don't try to extend the caterers hours and expect to pay them the same amount.

They haven't called me back since but i figured the found someone who would do it. Oh well, i look at as extra time spent with family since i'm always gigging on weekends.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:29 PM - 25 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

This

nm
Yup
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:29 PM - 25 November, 2014
Quote:
I did BCBG store I think for 3 hrs for 75 I asked for more but they was on of budget or whatever but I wanted to hit the mall and pass out cards to the managers! 75 mite sound small but I look at exposure also what yall think? Now 4hrs is different

Nope
Logisticalstyles 8:29 PM - 25 November, 2014
Quote:

If you would have been booked through Scratch Events you could have made 4-5 times the amount. You got ripped off.

www.scratchevents.com
DJ ZAE 9:26 PM - 25 November, 2014
I've djed 3 hours for $450 in store credit at Dillard's. Easiest gig Ive done and it didn't interfere with my night gigs. Bought clothes for my family. Everyone wins.
Dj Mixstyles 11:19 PM - 26 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

If you would have been booked through Scratch Events you could have made 4-5 times the amount. You got ripped off.

www.scratchevents.com

How do you sign up as a dj for scratch event looks like yall got enough dj's already
AIRX ONE 12:16 AM - 27 November, 2014
Dj Mixstyles 12:21 AM - 27 November, 2014
Huh