DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Reloop Neon Performance Pad Controller

DJ_X_Trodinaire 7:58 PM - 1 September, 2014
www.reloop.com

New pad controller for Serato DJ.

"The Reloop NEON is a powerful pad controller for Serato DJ that will elevate your performance to a whole new level.
Neon
The most extensive Serato SP6 sample controller on the market

Acting as the perfect support hardware for DVS users and controller DJs, the 8 ultra-low-latency and touch-sensitive RGB drum pads with aftertouch are perfect for triggering samples, cues, loops and effects. Coming in as the most extensive Serato SP6 sample controller on the market, the NEON also offers LED feedback for each sample slot – feeding back status and mode information.
Neon
8 Powermodes

A total of 8 power modes can be accessed by up to 4 decks with only one NEON: Sampler, Pad FX, Slicer, Looped Slicer, Cue, Flip, Hot Loop and Manual Loop are all at your fingertips. The brand-new FLIP mode allows you to record and play back your own remixes or cue trigger sequences on the fly.
Neon
smart colour coding

Handling these advanced functions is easy as the drum pads' smart colour coding offers users visual feedback in each mode, so you’ll never get lost mid-performance. Two endless push encoders for track navigation, volume control and loop editing complete this simple yet powerful device.
Neon
smart link function

Taking inspiration from the game-changing RP-8000 turntables, you can also connect two NEON controllers via smart link function, saving precious USB ports while allowing you to push your performance further.
Neon
plug-and-play performance tool

An extremely flat yet sturdy design makes NEON not only the ultimate plug-and-play performance tool, but also something that can also be easily stowed in any DJ bag and set-up for use in a matter of seconds.

Reloop NEON
One mighty box."
eugguy 8:15 PM - 1 September, 2014
Ehh...
DylanVE 11:39 PM - 1 September, 2014
It's ok. I'd still prefer an all-in-one solution like the DDJ-SP1 though. It'd be a bit awkward to fit two of these into a DVS set-up.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 11:40 PM - 1 September, 2014
Can't wait to try this out!! SP1 might be up for sale, lol!!
Laz219 11:42 PM - 1 September, 2014
I like the look of this, tempted.
Mr Wilks 12:13 AM - 2 September, 2014
They are looking pretty impressive for the money.
geeunot 4:42 AM - 2 September, 2014
yeah kinda awkward to have two of these in a set up plus a laptop. some booths dont have that much room. ill stick to my sp1. kinda mad at i got it for 375 n then a couple weeks later it dropped in price.
lumas13 10:01 AM - 2 September, 2014
Its nice indeed, but it doesn't come with serato video
Kaos Effekt 3:00 PM - 9 October, 2014
Does the neon come with serato flip as part of the package? or do I have to purchase it as a separate expansion pack.
Laz219 5:43 AM - 10 October, 2014
Flip would still be a seperate purchase,
DJKayce 4:36 PM - 11 October, 2014
Quote:
Does the neon come with serato flip as part of the package? or do I have to purchase it as a separate expansion pack.

It comes with the funtions for flip but you still have to purchase the license inoder for it to work. Nice controller indeed.
I have pioneer ddj SX & SZ but since I bought one, I've been using my VCI 380 with the neon. The neon has all the functions of SZ & SX2. Am not in the need to buy SX2 anymore.
DJMark 10:09 PM - 11 October, 2014
Glad to see a lot of products supporting SDJ.

It gives some hope that the software will actually be worth using someday.
Mr. Goodkat 10:17 PM - 11 October, 2014
how are people liking this controller?
DJKayce 11:03 PM - 11 October, 2014
Quote:
how are people liking this controller?

Dope
Mr. Goodkat 11:20 PM - 11 October, 2014
get 2?
Benewah Beats 5:10 AM - 13 October, 2014
I'm thinking just one of the Neon controllers, not two. But then again, not using it for a DVS setup at this time. For that, I'm almost toying with an Akai setup, with one AMX, one AFX, and the Neon on the left deck(the one I play around with most). The only think keeping me from really wanting the Akai setup is that it's not an analog mixer, if an affordable 2ch analog mixer for serato comes out, I'd jump on that for sure. If not, I'll be looking to pick up a DVS capable controller come spring, SX2, MC6000Mk2, etc.
I'm hoping to be able to swing the Neon and Flip for my birthday, if not that, at least a cover for my DJ table so I can finally take some pics for my site...LOL And a Decksaver.
DjSKum 11:21 AM - 14 November, 2014
Hmmmm, just wondering whether to get 2x reloop neon's or a now reduced in price ddj-sp1. The SP1 looks more fully featured, does anyone have experience with both?
dj knowledge prime 1:32 AM - 4 December, 2014
Can it do anything with samples and efx that can't be done on the DDJ SX 1?
deejdave 2:14 AM - 5 December, 2014
Being ABLE to do things and being able to do things EASILY are two different things. The SP1 is better for dual deck performance pad play (cue points, loops, Rools, etc) as well as FX while the Reloop Neon is geared more towards use of SP6 sampler. BOTH can do what the other can do (for the most part) just they use slightly different methods of getting there.
Joshua Carl 5:44 PM - 5 December, 2014
Eloy and I just shot a very thorough walk through on these for video report, with performance videos coming from Medina, Eyecon and Soden.

they are pretty dope.
the pads are (and im going out on a soap box here) the best pads ive hammered on yet, hands down.
so responsive, a little soft, and pressure sensitive!
(IE to change the parameter of a filter, you push down, lighten up on the touch)

we couldnt really find too much bad to say.
we tried our best to be fair and just and think of your average DJ...
IE, can two units fit in a dj booth? can you survive with no loop roll?
but over all we were very impressed with these. the construction was solid and performance even more-so.
look to my instagram/twitter for the video next week @DJJoshuaCarl
Joshua Carl 5:52 PM - 5 December, 2014
personally... I didnt find the focus of the neon to be on the SP6 player.
(although it is one of the presets of the unit, like most external controllers)

I think Reloop really did an excellent job with the slicer funnction and being able to quickly change the domain and paramters of the slices while in that function.

and while out the gate I wasnt a big lover of their "hot loops" function I can see how people might dig it (and from what I understand its only available by default on the neon)
basically, you set a loop, it save it to a pad automatically, and then you can jump loop to loop via the start (or a ghost cue point for lack of better terms, becuase it does NOT use your 8 cue points on pad strike, it uses the start of the loop, but behaves like a cue point)
do we really need 16 cuepoints, i know i dont..... but jumping around loops without having to waste cue points was pretty cool.
Mr Wilks 6:28 PM - 5 December, 2014
@Joshua

You just got an instagram follow. Looking forward to the review.
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:13 PM - 5 December, 2014
Quote:
personally... I didnt find the focus of the neon to be on the SP6 player.
(although it is one of the presets of the unit, like most external controllers)

I think Reloop really did an excellent job with the slicer funnction and being able to quickly change the domain and paramters of the slices while in that function.

and while out the gate I wasnt a big lover of their "hot loops" function I can see how people might dig it (and from what I understand its only available by default on the neon)
basically, you set a loop, it save it to a pad automatically, and then you can jump loop to loop via the start (or a ghost cue point for lack of better terms, becuase it does NOT use your 8 cue points on pad strike, it uses the start of the loop, but behaves like a cue point)
do we really need 16 cuepoints, i know i dont..... but jumping around loops without having to waste cue points was pretty cool.

16 cue points is useful for tone play, essentially giving u an mpc
deejdave 11:18 PM - 5 December, 2014
Quote:

I was supposed to pic up my Reloop by now but I have just been lazy. I JUST paid for it now. In what way did Reloop do an excellent job with the Slicer. Is it any different from the DDJ series or anything?
Joshua Carl 1:57 AM - 6 December, 2014
I think on its most simple level, the shift+ illuminated pad parameter (up and down) change is easier than a shift + parameter button like on the SP1.

And of course having dedicated pads for each deck when using the slicer is also pretty dope,

There are only so many ways to reinvent the wheel. It looks like each company takes their own little approach to how their gear will function with SeRAto

I am still waiting to pull the trigger at live gigs with SeRato DJ, at this point I usually use it in the safest environments. And stick to using scratch live at my residencies and higher profile gigs.
While SDJ has made huge bounds forward especially in the last six months, I still am a bit timid to have it out at this point.
Laz219 2:21 PM - 12 December, 2014
DJWORX:
djworx.com

I'm still debating it, whether it'd really be worth moving from dicers.
Joshua Carl 5:05 PM - 12 December, 2014
Here's our video review
Grab some popcorn

youtu.be
DJ Irv 10:23 PM - 12 December, 2014
Good review @Joshua Carl. I just got my Neon in the mail. I'll test it on SDJ/Traktor this weekend.
dj knowledge prime 11:31 PM - 12 December, 2014
Quote:
Can it do anything with samples and efx that can't be done on the DDJ SX 1?

can anyone answer my original question?

I was hoping to have it able to use sampler while my SX was in say HotCue mode, but no luck.
deejdave 2:37 AM - 13 December, 2014
As far as I know when you select FX mode your DDJ-SX will automatically go into FX mode as well so scratch that idea.
Code:E 7:22 PM - 13 December, 2014
Quote:
It's ok. I'd still prefer an all-in-one solution like the DDJ-SP1 though. It'd be a bit awkward to fit two of these into a DVS set-up.

Why? I would rather have one above each deck than one big unit in the middle.

Question.
I currently use a MPD32 for my loops and Effects. I use the 16 Pads to trigger loops of various lengths (1/16 - 8 Beat) on the fly. Can the Neon or the DDJ SP1 be setup to trigger auto loops in the same way?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:43 AM - 15 December, 2014
This is a hard choice. I have really come to love my SP1 but the NEON has added some features the SP1 doesn't have, well I should things are easier to use on the NEON.

But the one thing that puts me off is the LOOP ROLLS on the NEON. Not really liking how they set that up.

I'll have to grab one and do my own side by side I think.
deejdave 3:49 AM - 15 December, 2014
Both are great IMO. I have been using the SP1 OFTEN while not so much with the Neon & AFX. I really can't get past not having the two sets of Pads. I am in deep need of an SP1 MKII............. I get the gear whore thing. I even admit it. This is actually different though. The SP1 is a staple in my workflow and I am really missing the colored cue points............
djattila 3:55 AM - 15 December, 2014
color pads, basic play/stop buttons and screen with size of loop is all i want in the new version of the sp1
DJ Irv 2:45 PM - 15 December, 2014
Well, the Neon is okay. I used my Neon for a few minutes but, I only have 1 so I have to constantly remember to switch it back from turnable 1/2. I like the neon better than a pair of dicers but not by that much. I also tried the neon's Traktor mapping and it's very poorly programmed.

Reloop should really have given us the option to split one reloop to control cue points 1-4 deck A | 1-4 deck B. The same should go for loops amongst other features. The scroll is nice but if you are using 1 Neon then you have to remember to have the deck focus correct or you will load onto the wrong deck.

It just seems the reloop neon works best in pairs and just okay solo.
DJ G-Phi 10:56 PM - 29 March, 2017
Gentlemen-- I know this is an old thread, but I need help.

Has anyone come to a conclusion as to which is the best device-- the Neon or the AFX?

I’m a novice DJ—I work with 2 technics and a basic mixer with no pads, so all of my cues/loops/hot keys/sp6/effects are done through my computer and/or mouse. I’ve been agonizing between the Neon Reloop and the AKAI AFX, but I truly can’t decide which would be better for me. All I keep hearing and seeing about each one is they do basically the same things but “this one is so much better in this area than the other”.

I’m only going to buy one for now (I know some DJs have both), so any advice/guidance regarding which I should get immediately would be more than helpful…
DJKayce 11:20 PM - 29 March, 2017
Quote:

Has anyone come to a conclusion as to which is the best device-- the Neon or the AFX?

I’m a novice DJ—I work with 2 technics and a basic mixer with no pads, so all of my cues/loops/hot keys/sp6/effects are done through my computer and/or mouse. I’ve been agonizing between the Neon Reloop and the AKAI AFX, but I truly can’t decide which would be better for me. All I keep hearing and seeing about each one is they do basically the same things but “this one is so much better in this area than the other”.

I’m only going to buy one for now (I know some DJs have both), so any advice/guidance regarding which I should get immediately would be more than helpful…

Neon all day for me.
deejdave 12:12 AM - 30 March, 2017
AFX. Plus the price sells itself at $79.99 www.pssl.com

Not for nothing the AFX is one of the units that recently received the added Pitch Play mappings.................... the Reloop Neon did not. I honestly do not even use mine anymore.
deejdave 12:13 AM - 30 March, 2017
Oh yeah regarding Pitch Play serato.com
deejdave 12:15 AM - 30 March, 2017
AFX also comes with Flip license which my Neon did not come with.
DJ G-Phi 12:28 AM - 30 March, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Neon all day for me.

Why do you like the Neon so much? Does it do something superior that the AFX doesn't?
DJ G-Phi 12:30 AM - 30 March, 2017
Quote:
AFX. Plus the price sells itself at $79.99 www.pssl.com

Not for nothing the AFX is one of the units that recently received the added Pitch Play mappings.................... the Reloop Neon did not. I honestly do not even use mine anymore.

One of the big things I see about the Neon is about the sp6 functionality as well as using it as a drum pad, etc. Can the AFX do that as well? I'm really torn here between the two and I'm about to pull my hair out. LOL
deejdave 1:02 PM - 30 March, 2017
Sp6 has been updated since and AFX works seamlessly with it all. There are functions the AFX has that the neon does not but I am not so sure this is true the other way around. Even has some real time dual L/R controls which makes it closer to the sp1
DJ G-Phi 6:14 PM - 30 March, 2017
Quote:
Sp6 has been updated since and AFX works seamlessly with it all. There are functions the AFX has that the neon does not but I am not so sure this is true the other way around. Even has some real time dual L/R controls which makes it closer to the sp1

Thanks a lot gents! All of these responses have been helpful. Looks like the AFX is the winner...