DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Opinions wanted on Dress Codes....

DjRekTek 5:40 AM - 29 March, 2009
I am looking for opinions on dress codes and whether or not you think they are/or have had an effect on the amount of problems in your spot.

I am going to start spinning again at my old spot that I lost to an undercutter, then a waive after him, but thats another story.

I spoke with the new managment the other night and they told me thay had some fights and mild skirmishes the past couple years and they were still weary of this with ABC and what not. I asked them who the most problematic patrons were and they told me mainly "thug" types. So I asked if they had been enforcing a dress code and they said no, they had been pretty leinient with the patrons with the exception of males not being allowed to wear wife beaters. Other than that, pretty much anything could be worn,i.e. hats, jerseys, big chains, medallions, timbos,...you get the picture.

So I advised them to enforce a dress code to cut down on not so much the "thug" type patrons, but the behavior. I told them from my experience that if a person dresses the part that more than likely they will act the part just because of the image in which they want project.

Also, for the record, I am not pointing the finger at any particular race because we all know that all colors dress like "thugs" these days, nor do I have a problem with anyone's style of dress, I think it just gives an intoxicated individual one more reason to start trouble by thinking they have to be "mean muggin'" on someone because of the way they are dressed, almost like it is a must to be a billy badass when you are "thugged out".

I was also advised that the guy who originally undercut me was playing nothing but Young Joc, Soulja, Jim Jones,ect.. which prolly played a part. Then the waive that came after him, from what I understand played "shitty" music. Thats the quote I got anyway.

I told the managment that music selection can also play a part in the behavior of patrons.

In the end it doesn't matter what you do, you are going to have problems whenever you mix alcohol and humans. Its just how much can you control it inside your establishment.

Long story short, if your spot uses a dress code and if you think it helps, lte me know.

Also, what is the dress code? Crowd type? Age group? Type of music?
DJ Sniffles 7:16 AM - 29 March, 2009
tight jeans, flanel shirts, scruffy hair, ironic mustaches, short skirts with neon colored tights, tank tops with no bra's and old school high tops.
DjRekTek 8:33 AM - 29 March, 2009
Quote:
tight jeans, flanel shirts, scruffy hair, ironic mustaches, short skirts with neon colored tights, tank tops with no bra's and old school high tops.

ha ha...
DJ TOGTFO 9:09 AM - 29 March, 2009
Quote:

sniffles you fuckin hipster.
DJ NoNseNse 12:18 PM - 29 March, 2009
No baggy jeans and tennis shoes pretty much works. I seen so many ghetto mofos get denied entry because of that. It amazes me that people still dont understand what a dress code is.
Caramac 12:45 PM - 29 March, 2009
not sure how it works over there but as a rule. the more restrictions a club has the more trouble it seems to have.

the calmer raves are usually the ones where people where what they want from my experience.
AKIEM 12:46 PM - 29 March, 2009
fuck a dress code.

we all know what that shit is used for

I look the way I look - across the county Ive been denied entry for "baggie pants" (even though my pants are not fucking "baggie") white kids with ripped jeans, and dirty sneakers, looking about as clean as a homeless guy walk right in

shoes, black socks, pants, button down long sleeves (untucked being as close to thug) no bling, no hat, no rag - and Ive still been denied while scrubs walk right in - I can see inside a couple whiteboys with sports gear on

happens all the time

If you respect your patrons they will respect your spot - generally

the problems you fellows have comes from not respecting your patrons based on what they look like.

Ive seen every 'type' of person start shit, even wall street dressed white guys.

what this really comes down to is 'white people' want to hear all the thug music, but not have to see who they think might be one in person
DJ Habibi 1:02 PM - 29 March, 2009
Yeah, dress code always fucked me off too.

Everybody knows that music and fashion are linked. Therefore if it's a hip hop night, there shouldn't be any restrictions whatsoever. When I was living in the UK it used to make me laugh that on nights of Urban music, the bouncers wouldn't let in people with trainers and caps!

You haven't said what kind of music you're doing. If it's no particular genre, top 40 for example, then it should be at the management's discretion for a dress code (millions of top 40 places around after all).

However if it's an Urban music night, it's hypocritical to place a dress code. What's that? You want to have the music but not let in 'Hip Hop looking' types? That's backpeddling rubbish.
Audio1 3:05 PM - 29 March, 2009
Regardless of Dress codes or not, The thug element will always find a way into the club. Not all thugs dress up hood. They inflict the same damage rockin' the baggy fits or the nice GROWN MAN nightwear. LOL
DJ Special K 6:05 PM - 29 March, 2009
Dress codes are tough, the spot I work in has no dress code on Friday's and small dress code on Saturday. There are two things enforced on Saturday. No baseball caps and must have a shirt with a collar. Our fight ratio is 2 to 3 on Friday and 0 on Saturday. This club is a hip hop spot. Believe me young joc and soulja boy are pussy songs compared to what I'm asked to play as far thug songs go. Try playing OJ the Juice Man or Gucci, then we are talking thug music. But anyway,the nights without a dress code fucks up the woman to man ratio. Too many swinging dicks.. You need female heavy crowds to have a good night club. On Saturday, my BPM ranges from 70 bpm to 140 bpm. The thugs don't wanna hear that shit on Friday so my range is 70 to 85. So, I think a dress code does have an affect, its all in how you enforce it. Some spots do make it a racial issue and that aint cool!!
Jesus Christ 6:33 PM - 29 March, 2009
The dress code is the beginning of the end for your club. If the place didn't have one to begin with, do NOT implement one all of a sudden. You're trying to keep an "element" out. Bad idea. Change your music. That will work faster. I've seen 2 clubs go from the hottest in the area to completely out of business within 2 months. The dress code was what did it.
monkeybiz 6:36 PM - 29 March, 2009
Reminds me of when I went to drop in to catch a friend spinning at a club nearby. Doorman looked me head-to-toe and didn't like what I was wearing. "No shorts allowed. This is a nightclub." My "shorts" were summer pants that went about mid-calf. Then I told the doorman, "It wasn't a problem when I wore these a couple of nights ago when I was SPINNING here." That didn't phase him. "We can't let you in dressed like that."
Before I left, I told him I was surprised they let HIM in with ratty teeth like that.
sixxx 6:50 PM - 29 March, 2009
monkeybiz wears capri pants. hahahaha
djmarkol 7:38 PM - 29 March, 2009
@Akiem = man i sense a bit of anger,,, some people judging u and making a generalisation,,, BUT dont u go making blanket generalisations
quote:
"what this really comes down to is 'white people' want to hear all the thug music, but not have to see who they think might be one in person"
Im white, and i dont think like that and dont like this racist comment tbh....

Have u don a pole of every single person in every single country. We aint like that in Ireland... were all about having a good time... (sure there might be a few pricks, there always is)
sixxx 8:12 PM - 29 March, 2009
Ireland.... AKIEM is from the United States. I'm sure there are differences in how people are viewed towards each other.
sixxx 8:13 PM - 29 March, 2009
and

Quote:
"what this really comes down to is 'white people' want to hear all the thug music, but not have to see who they think might be one in person"

This isn't really racist. It's just the truth. White people (especially white girls) sometimes request the craziest shit that you'd never think they request. Oh, but it's wrong if a black man does the same thing. lol

Btw, I don't see that many black people requesting that much country. :P
R-Tistic 8:24 PM - 29 March, 2009
The dress code thing is a tricky situation.

Personally...the TYPE of venue, along with the music, promoters, and other factors, are really what brings an element to the club. You may go to two spots that both have the same racial demographics...but one will have semi-professional or regular dudes dressed "casual" with no dress shoes or button ups/blazers, but clean cut polos, good sized jeans, etc. etc....then you go two miles or even two blocks away, and the crowd there has hella baggy jeans, big chains on white tees...or even sandals, beach shorts, and funny t-shirts. Usually, it has to do with who's bringing the people out, what type of guest artists they have show up, and the music.

One thing I HATE about this one spot in Hollywood called Sugar is that on Saturday nights, which is basically the "hood" night...security will tell you that you can't get in without a button up on..but if you know a promoter who's up front or slide him $20, you can get in with ANYTHING. Last time I went, I bought a damn button up from Hollywood Blvd, came back, and my boy was at the first line (it's basically two lines) and he took us to the front...then we get inside and see dudes with hats and fuckin white tees on in there!
djmarkol 8:26 PM - 29 March, 2009
he didnt say white americans just white people,,, and i dont listen to country,, i like electro,house, and yes i like hip hop, went to rock the bells when in boston last year.. loved it,,, so what if they request(im presuming ur talking about hip hop) a song that surprises u they might like it... fuck that shite of categorising people into, lets say its ok for u to request this song,,,, its not ok for u to request this song..... Thats total bull shit, complete ignorance.
what are u saying that its wrong if a black man requests a country song....
I say i dont like country but im sure there might be a song out there that i like because of its creativity or a song from any genre for that matter...

ps: making a generalisation based on color is racist, black white doesnt matter..Fair enough it might not be as much an issue in ireland...
djmarkol 8:30 PM - 29 March, 2009
Is it ok with u if i request like Necro or Cage,,, hmmm
djmarkol 8:32 PM - 29 March, 2009
fuck this shit, if im ever back in america i will request what i like and dont give a fuck what people think....
DJ Sniffles 8:33 PM - 29 March, 2009
Quote:

LOL he said they were "summer pants" hahaha!! Call them what you want, they are still capri pants. Hahahahaha
djmarkol 8:38 PM - 29 March, 2009
this guy waits in line "I wait in line when i go to the clubs"..would he get in.???. check this out hilarious .... Watchwww.youtube.com really funny....
monkeybiz 9:01 PM - 29 March, 2009
Quote:

Heheh - not quite. More like army pants. Still funny, though Sixxx. :)
DJ NoNseNse 9:25 PM - 29 March, 2009
Quote:
he didnt say white americans just white people,,, and i dont listen to country,, i like electro,house, and yes i like hip hop, went to rock the bells when in boston last year.. loved it,,, so what if they request(im presuming ur talking about hip hop) a song that surprises u they might like it... fuck that shite of categorising people into, lets say its ok for u to request this song,,,, its not ok for u to request this song..... Thats total bull shit, complete ignorance.
what are u saying that its wrong if a black man requests a country song....
I say i dont like country but im sure there might be a song out there that i like because of its creativity or a song from any genre for that matter...

ps: making a generalisation based on color is racist, black white doesnt matter..Fair enough it might not be as much an issue in ireland...

Making generalizations based on color isnt racist. If that were true id be racist against everyone even my own race. It means most in general not all. The odds of a black man requesting a country song is slim to none. So if somebody makes a generalization that black people are faster runners thats racist?
djmarkol 9:40 PM - 29 March, 2009
your right on the generalization point, wrong word to use to describe the original comment... (means most in general not all) ,,,I accept i was wrong on that... but what was said is 'white people',, meaning all.... not some white people.... sorry maybe im wrong, but if i say white people are.... with no specifics to a particular group, i do think its racist in my opinion, its making a prusumption about people based on race......
DJ NoNseNse 9:40 PM - 29 March, 2009
I personally think its tacky when people don't dress nice at the club especially women. Some places might just want a dress code because they want there club to look nice. Some places can be a little too strict sometimes. The whole baggy clothes thing just seems so jr high/high school to me since thats how I dressed back then.
DJ NoNseNse 9:43 PM - 29 March, 2009
Quote:
your right on the generalization point, wrong word to use to describe the original comment... (means most in general not all) ,,,I accept i was wrong on that... but what was said is 'white people',, meaning all.... not some white people.... sorry maybe im wrong, but if i say white people are.... with no specifics to a particular group, i do think its racist in my opinion, its making a prusumption about people based on race......

I think when most people say that they really mean white people in general, thats how I am at least.
Mikey V 10:33 PM - 29 March, 2009
I spin at a club with a dress code. Right across the street is an identical sized club. Same demographics, same city, theres even other resident DJs that spin at both spots.

Dress code spot: 1 fight a year
No dress code spot: 1 fight a night

Its not about fashion or even stereotyping...its about letting patrons know your venue is setting a standard before you walk through that door.
DJ NoNseNse 10:40 PM - 29 March, 2009
Out here in Sacramento the clubs with the least strict dress codes normally get closed down.
AKIEM 12:25 AM - 30 March, 2009
@djmarko, whats up cousin? (Im at least a quarter Irish)
Quote:
he didnt say white americans just white people

no offense, but you have to use some common sense here.

I am talking mostly of an American experience, (but obviously not limited too but I did say "all across the country" meaning the US). Specifically talking about 'club goers' which is actually a very slim section of the population. And Im also talking about 'thug music' enthusiasts specifically, as popular as 'thug music' is, it also slims down who I am talking about quite a bit.

I thought this was clear by first the context of this discussion, second by the context of my post ('white people' who are afraid of thugs, but listen to, play or employ DJs to play 'thug music'). So I am actually talking about an extremely small percentage of 'white people', so small that If I were to guess at a percentage there would be too many zeros to the right of the decimal to reasonably calculate.

no, I am not talking about 'all white people' and didnt think anyone would make the mistake to think so.

I dont even believe in the concept of so called "white people"

as far as my anger, should I not be? I should just except scrubby ripped jean 'white' guys walk right in while I get refused entry all across the country?

there are a million situations, but we all know that dress codes are used for plausible deniability cover to enforce racist policy

The irony of wanting to play all types thug music all nite, but not let any thugs in. Hip-Hop all nite, but dont dress like Hip-Hopper. Play Black music all nite, but dontlet the club get too dark.

Reminds me of this argument I had with this kid who was all pissed off about some rapper saying some shit about 'white people'. Really? Everything is good when the rapper is talking about 'kill niggas, sell dope, kill niggas, pimp bitches, kill niggas, nigga this, nigga that' yes, you want to hear all that shit, but you have a big problem when he says some shit about 'white people'

These people want to hear thug music all nite but dont want to see a one in person.
sixxx 1:03 AM - 30 March, 2009
eeeeeeexactly
sixxx 1:06 AM - 30 March, 2009
owner of my residency told me once.... there have been too many fights, change the music. I told him, hire more security and stop letting people get so drunk.

sure enough, im still playing the same music... now less fights... only one since that time and it was handled promptly. And, no, I dont even play a lot of 'thug' music.
djmarkol 1:27 AM - 30 March, 2009
"@djmarko, whats up cousin? (Im at least a quarter Irish)"

lol,,, k maybe i took it up wrong, but its deferent over here,

i agree with u in most part and its shitty if that happens where u are, and i agree at the irony of the situation.. but where im from it doesnt.... I was in america for a bit,,, and found that over there people like to be able to put people into a nicely packaged category..and if they cant categorise someone they are afraid....I found that in america if ur a goth,, ur a goth to the extreme, if ur a thug,,,, ur a thug to the extreme...trendy trendy to the extreme... americans dont do things in half measure.thats whats great about america.. but just cus someone is white does not automatically put them in the same category as the people pissing u off... and from ur original comment it looked like u where saying that.
when over in america stayed in a hostel called jazz on the villa in harlem, went to a few bars and wasnt really intimidated(did have to explain why i was in a bar alright to one guy who asked am i lost,,,but found every one to be friendly,

Black culture and "true" irish culture are always gonna be close.... the english fucked us both over in the past... but the past is the past.... we both liked to celebrate with song,,, but any way back to my point all white people are not like the pricks u meet... Slan go foil,, agus tog a bog e, faoi shíocháin; (irish for good bye,and, take it easy, peace),
DJ Sniffles 1:33 AM - 30 March, 2009
The world would be a better place without thugs and thug attire
AKIEM 1:36 AM - 30 March, 2009
I agree, we need to get rid of international bankers and the strange suit and tie uniforms they wear
AKIEM 1:40 AM - 30 March, 2009
@djmarko, glad I could clarify for you.
I hope I make to the Island one day.
thats cool you made it to Harlem
sixxx 1:43 AM - 30 March, 2009
I want to sell oranges in the Island.
Mikey V 3:49 AM - 30 March, 2009
Quote:
there are a million situations, but we all know that dress codes are used for plausible deniability cover to enforce racist policy

I don't think its a "cover to enforce racist policy". What's the best way for a venue to make sure a patron will conduct himself in a civil manner? Enforce some code of conduct before they can enter the door. i.e. attire

Just because a thug puts on some nice attire doesn't mean he's not a thug anymore...BUT it shows he's willing to follow the venue's code of conduct. If I'm an owner of a club, that peace of mind is definitely worth it.
DJ Sniffles 3:59 AM - 30 March, 2009
Quote:

Al Sharpton, is that you?
djtoast 5:04 AM - 30 March, 2009
it's probably the opposite here in scotland to what you guys expect: the SMARTER someone is dressed, the more likely they are to start a fight.

people who dress up too much for clubs here are the kinda people who want to look like soccer stars; THEY are always the ones who start fights and are more likely to try to take coke in the toilets etc etc. (there's special clubs for them that i haven't been to that get shut down now and then. sigh.)

obviously there's a minimum standard too but no-one in this city would try to get in anywhere looking homeless or with a wife beater or whatever.

but yeah, music definitely plays a part as well. not so much with hip-hop/RnB but with dance music i steer well clear of certain stuff that's most popular with what we call "neds". anything above about 135bpm is getting into dangerous territory. above 140 is definitely off limits. playing it just encourages the "wrong" sorta people.
AKIEM 5:50 AM - 30 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think its a "cover to enforce racist policy". What's the best way for a venue to make sure a patron will conduct himself in a civil manner? Enforce some code of conduct before they can enter the door. i.e. attire

Just because a thug puts on some nice attire doesn't mean he's not a thug anymore...BUT it shows he's willing to follow the venue's code of conduct. If I'm an owner of a club, that peace of mind is definitely worth it.

Mikey V, why did you quote me, then misquote me in your answer?

"dress codes are used for plausible deniability cover to enforce racist policy"

What this means is that you can limit entry of a certain race or type of people by selectively enforcing the code against them. This is why my straight legged non-sagging pants will get called "baggie" keeping me from entering while another guy walks right in with ripped jeans and actual sagging pants. All the while claiming to to be 'just enforcing the dress code' not a racist code.

A dress code is only a test for people who might not normally dress according to the code. It doesnt test anyone else. And there are other tests, entry fee, proof of age/identity, and a search for contraband are all compliance tests that you can easily call "proof of civility"

Dress codes can be targeted and arbitrary enforced, as they all to often are.

A thug dressing according to the dress code is not proving that he will fallow the codes of conduct just the codes of dress

Its funny how if you are a club owner you will feel peace of mind because everyone in the club has on tight pants (or can turn away certain people) but feels fine playing thug music all night.

you want the thug music, but not the thug

you want to hear 'nigga' all nite but not have to see too many of em

Imagine a club playing country music all night, country artist doing shows and all that western decor shit. But the owner sets up dress codes, no cowboy attire allowed. But sometimes you will see a dusty ass Black cowboy in the place. Matter of fact they will stop you trying to get in with leather shoes (eh they look like boots) while a Black guy with spurs on strolls right in.

If for whatever reason you just dont believe dress codes arnt racially enforced (when we all know better) then just take my word for it, I can tell you plenty of stories.
AKIEM 5:52 AM - 30 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Al Sharpton, is that you?

no, Governor Wallace its not.

ease back son
Wes_Wes 6:49 AM - 30 March, 2009
Why can't you have good door people and just turn people away? Not that I have changed my dress code ever for these cities (Atlanta, D.C., Detroit, Las Vegas, Miami, New Orleans, New York, Ontario, Orlando, Sacramento, San Diego, Vancouver) and my home, Los Angeles. Remember when las vegas was only shinny shoes in like 2001? Sb's all day now. My favorite door policy as of late is, No shiny t shirts with big writing on them. Sorry Ed Hardy and Affliction owners. Ebay is a good resource for you all. Having said that, These aren't "black thugs" these are i'm actually not sure how to "categorize" them. I will lightly say eastern european people. In my experience I believe that aiming high is always a great way to go regardless of what elements you have surrounding you. If your in the hood and you expect your patrons to act and dress a certain way its fine as long as you can maintain that "level of expectations". I speak for myself but, I am mostly bothered with people who clearly look out of place. That to me is bad door people and isn't the club owner or the dj's fault. I will also agree that the music is just a mer cop out for poorly ran venues and bad promotion. I've heard the hoodest of songs in small and big rooms and as long as women out numbered men and noise was coming out of the speakers everyone went home without a scratch.
Mikey V 7:11 AM - 30 March, 2009
akiem, are you serious bro? "Proof of age/identity" and a dress code are not apples to apples when it comes to "compliance tests". In my experiences enforcing a dress code is discretionary at clubs...proof of age is not. Do they not require by law you show your ID where you live and go out? ;-)

Also, whether its code of conduct or code of dress at least the patrons have to prove they're willing to follow venue's standards before entering the joint.

Dude, its very clear your personal rejections and experiences have created some agenda/vendetta against dress codes. Sure if you look like Chamillionaire you can't get in with your hoodie and cap. But if you look like Jack Johnson, you still can't get in with your shorts and sandals. If you look like Slash or Axel Rose, you still can't get in with your bandana or shades n top hat.

I'm not a big fan of dress codes either...but I won't let my personal opinion/experiences distort the reality that dress codes are good for the venue.
Mikey V 7:15 AM - 30 March, 2009
Quote:
I will also agree that the music is just a mer cop out for poorly ran venues and bad promotion. I've heard the hoodest of songs in small and big rooms and as long as women out numbered men and noise was coming out of the speakers everyone went home without a scratch.

Amen.
djdragon 7:30 AM - 30 March, 2009
White slacks and red sequined shirt ro STFU
Caramac 8:30 AM - 30 March, 2009
Got to say it again I hate dress codes with a passion. Being as I'm usually the one that gets discriminated against. Like Akeim I think it's just an excuse for other reasons.

I consider myself to dress pretty smart. My trainers are always box fresh. I don't wear baggy jeans etc etc but find if I'm going somewhere new that I usually get stopped at the door. Like Akeim I've been to raves in the hood where the trendy's go and seen people walk in with dirty trainers, stained jeans and washed out t shirts to be told my box fresh Nikes are in appropriate.

Not sure how it is over there in the states but over here clubs/promoters are quick to ban a certain label which I think is stupid. No Pradas, No Gucci and no Avirex's. Fine I'll just spend £200 on some other Italian trainer. I'm still the same person regardless of what I wear.
AKIEM 10:06 AM - 30 March, 2009
Quote:
akiem, are you serious bro? "Proof of age/identity" and a dress code are not apples to apples when it comes to "compliance tests". In my experiences enforcing a dress code is discretionary at clubs...proof of age is not. Do they not require by law you show your ID where you live and go out? ;-)

Wait, you are telling me that showing an identification, submitting to a pat down or metal detector is not "compliance" ??? It doesnt matter if its the clubs choice or not, you must comply to enter.

All Im saying is that you can test if a patron is willing to comply with simple rules without targeting his dress, thats half of what a pat down is.

Ive lived in Minneapolis, Atlanta, Brooklyn. Ive been to venues in 40 or more states. Lots of times I get denied because It was some club after I did a show so wasnt planning carrying a another set of clothes and so on. There have been times where I planned to enter but, was refused. There were even times where I felt I was better dressed then most of the patrons but was denied (Austin TX I had the biggest issue most recent issue)

Quote:

Also, whether its code of conduct or code of dress at least the patrons have to prove they're willing to follow venue's standards before entering the joint.

Not if the code is equal to the shit you wear daily in the first place, what are you proving? If the code is tailored to what you fucking wear everyday....

Quote:

Dude, its very clear your personal rejections and experiences have created some agenda/vendetta against dress codes. Sure if you look like Chamillionaire you can't get in with your hoodie and cap. But if you look like Jack Johnson, you still can't get in with your shorts and sandals. If you look like Slash or Axel Rose, you still can't get in with your bandana or shades n top hat.

Im guessing you dont really mean "agenda/vendetta" and just mean 'exception or dislike'. Because its not like Im campaigning or organizing or some shit or plotting revenge.

Im just saying my piece on a message board.

you are not seeing what I am talking about.

A) they are often arbitrarily enforced, take two guys with the exact same outfit, white guy enters, black guy refused.

B) they are often directed toward a certain group, making it other then just a 'standard' of being appropriate

C) the hypocrisy of playing a certain type of music all nite, but refusing entry to anyone who might look like the artist performing the music

D) too often the reason for the dress code has nothing to do with shit at all other then refusing a certain race and being able to hide it as a 'dress code'

Quote:

I'm not a big fan of dress codes either...but I won't let my personal opinion/experiences distort the reality that dress codes are good for the venue.

huh? Im sure there are plenty of clubs that benefit from dress codes. It all depends on what the goal of the code is. If you think its good for your club to keep a certain type or other group of people out its an especially good tool.

You know what annoys me? Just because someone has a grievance, complaint, are pissed about improper treatment etc, etc, it doesnt mean they can not be pissed and also have a rational informed and intelligent opinion or understanding of the situation.

Suppose that I had never ever in my long and wide club experiences been refused entry. Would I even have shit to say about it? If I hadnt experienced these situations I might not even understand that an issue could exist.

I know some people are just getting out there and whatnot, maybe not as experienced with the ins and outs - but I thought it was a well known fact that dress codes are used to try and keep certain races and types of people out. (dont fucking confuse what Im saying with "the ONLY reason for dress codes is racism")

Ive seen clubs decline after they started with the dress code shit. I really cant say Ive seen a club come 'up' buy starting with a dress code. They usually have to bottom out and start over.
Caramac 11:01 AM - 30 March, 2009
To be honest I don't think it's a colour issue as much as they tend to do it here at the black clubs but I'm sure it's to keep out what they perceive as being a thug element.

I have the same thing. One club denied me wearing Pradas and a polo shirt. Yet I see people in the queue with Timbs and throwbacks down to their knees and durags. I mean who still wears durags. WTF lol.
sixxx 12:55 PM - 30 March, 2009
Something tells me Mike V hasn't had a lot of 'bad' experiences. Lol

------

Once in Vegas we got denied entry to a club... yeah, 4 Mexican guys dressed fairly well... you should've seen who they let in before and after us. lol

..... and as far as 'proof of age'.... think of all the hot young looking girls (looking younger than 21) who got in the club without an iD check.
DJ Sniffles 3:01 PM - 30 March, 2009
Quote:
Something tells me Mike V hasn't had a lot of 'bad' experiences. Lol

------

Once in Vegas we got denied entry to a club... yeah, 4 Mexican guys dressed fairly well... you should've seen who they let in before and after us. lol

..... and as far as 'proof of age'.... think of all the hot young looking girls (looking younger than 21) who got in the club without an iD check.

Thats the problem right there 4 Mexican GUYS
DJ Sniffles 3:03 PM - 30 March, 2009
Akiem, I think the problem is, you've lived in the South a little too long and it has distorted your views. Either that or your personal opinion of "dressing just as good, or better than other people" might not be good or better to other people.
Jesus Christ 4:25 PM - 30 March, 2009
Quote:
Thats the problem right there 4 Mexican GUYS

Sniffles is right. Unless you know someone or you're buying a bottle or 3, you're going to have a hard time getting a group of guys into a club in vegas.
DJ Greg J 5:03 PM - 30 March, 2009
it has a whole lot less to do with dress code and more to do with music selection. A lot of "thug" types these days usually comply with dress code better than anyone, dress shirts, slacks, etc. They might be baggy dress clothes but as far as dress codes go it's right on point.

I had a conversation with some police about it a few weeks ago, and in pretty derogatory language they said that these days the typical "good" club crowd doesn't dress up, "they" usually wear t-shirts, jeans, and chucks or vans. Personally that's what I wear, and basically what most industry people I know wear. It's ironically very often the same places where people get stabbed/shot that are the places that have the strictest dress codes.

Clubs that always maintain high standards for music don't have problems.
djskiggz 5:06 PM - 30 March, 2009
Dress Code:

Don't dress like a dumbass.
djskiggz 5:12 PM - 30 March, 2009
one thing i hate about dress codes is the "dress shoes only" rule. I mean, you could be dressed really classy & "up scale" and have some brand new white kicks on & still not get in. It should be fine as long as your shoes don't looks like you've been doing gardening all day.
bourbonstmc 5:21 PM - 30 March, 2009
I'm honestly not going to read every word of this long thread, but those of you who are broadly dismissing Akiem's points are either naive or in denial. It's the lazy way out: play the thug music that will draw the biggest crowd, and use a dress code (often unequally enforced) to try to keep thugs out.
djskiggz 5:43 PM - 30 March, 2009
Off topic:

One thing I've been thinking about is the treatment of girls in clubs. You know like the "Girls in free" "guys have to pay" kind of thing?? Sucks for us, but I guess it's better in the end since at least you don't get a cock party (sometimes).

But aren't there equal protection laws that apply to this? Is it even legal?
Jesus Christ 5:50 PM - 30 March, 2009
Yes skiggz. You can effectively sue a club that has a "ladies night" and win. But you will forever be known as "that guy" who did that. I've seen it. In a city I DJ'd at, we couldn't have a ladies night because this dude would file lawsuits claiming discrimination every time some club promoted anything like that. He was the laughing stock. No one ever told him he couldn't come in to a club, but he knew how everyone felt about him.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:50 PM - 30 March, 2009
i heard there was a group sueing for this in new jersey
DJ Young Herrera 5:57 PM - 30 March, 2009
As long as they don't allow ed hardy or affliction. I'm cool.
djskiggz 6:14 PM - 30 March, 2009
Quote:
Yes skiggz. You can effectively sue a club that has a "ladies night" and win. But you will forever be known as "that guy" who did that. I've seen it. In a city I DJ'd at, we couldn't have a ladies night because this dude would file lawsuits claiming discrimination every time some club promoted anything like that. He was the laughing stock. No one ever told him he couldn't come in to a club, but he knew how everyone felt about him.

lol wow...i didn't know about this. I wonder why more club owners are not scared of the lawsuits? Is it because not many people complain or maybe the financial benefit of them breking the law outweighs the expense of the lawsuits? But even then, there's got to be something inside their business license that prohibits doing exactly what a lot of them do. Arn't they afraid of being shut down?

I wonder what would happen if you called the cops right on the spot right after you were descriminated against?

I know a few friends who don't even bother going to clubs anymore since there is no guarantee that they'll get in even if they FOLLOW the dress code because 1) they are men and 2) they are ass ugly LOL.
bourbonstmc 6:19 PM - 30 March, 2009
Quote:
I wonder what would happen if you called the cops right on the spot right after you were descriminated against?

It's a civil violation, not a criminal one.
sixxx 6:25 PM - 30 March, 2009
Sniffles is NOT right. Yeah. Before us they let 3 guys in... white guys.

After us? 2 guys... that alone equals 5.
Boba Tha Hut 6:37 PM - 30 March, 2009
Out in Los Angeles, it depends on what part of city that sometimes determines the dress code.

For example, Hollywood has always been notorious for turning away people for not dressing to standards. Now downtown LA which has a lot of lounges and clubs has strict dress codes.

But if you go out in the Westside (West LA, Santa Monica, Culver City) the dress codes are more relaxed and I rarely see fights at the venues I go to.
DJ Schematic 7:15 PM - 30 March, 2009
The most popular restriction:
No white tennis shoes!
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 8:11 PM - 30 March, 2009
Interesting thread. It's unfortunate but alot things that have been said are true. I suppose it depends on where your at, but I see it alot here in Nebraska. On the DJ side and club goer side. Definatly think that clubs use the dress code to filter out who they don't want in their spot.

Not to long ago me and one of my homeboys went to one of the more popular spots in the west side of the city at the time. I wanted to check out the crowd and the DJ. There was a small line. There were three white guys in from of us. Two of em had normal button ups the other had this loud ass Ed Hardy shirt on. I remember that becasue we were makin fun of him. They all walked right in. My homeboy who's black had on a button up with a blazer on! And me im mixed black and white had on a basic phat farm polo with a tiny P on one side. And the bouncer stoped me and said nothing with logo's on it. And I snapped on him and said "you just let that guy in with the Ed Hardy, with the skulls and guns and flowers and knifes on it an shit!" So it might not be like that everywhere, but it's an issue here and many other places. (that shit is embarassing by the way)

Here in Omaha the whole city is segregated. North is black, south is Mexican, west is White and east is downtown so its whatever. Everybody stays in their own area for the most part. Very few mixed crowd clubs.
djbigboy 8:26 PM - 30 March, 2009
I like dress codes personally

But if a club really wanted to decide who gets into their clubs and who the clientele should be its combination of:

1) dress code
2) format
3) marketing
4) cover

Dress code should apply to all peeps except employees. There's a lot of issues with the club I work at changing the dress code on peeps while they are in line. I don't personally like it

Format. Play thug music, get thugs. You can play top 40 and hip hop without getting thuggish. Want to play hot ish? Play hot pop and hip hop, but don't play thug recurrents.

Marketing: I haven't seen it mentioned here, but if you market and run ads on a urban radio station and your a dance club, it don't make any sense, and yet I hear it all the time

Cover: Charging any cover will get most peeps in a panic (what do you think this is, Vegas!). If your club is popping, charge as much as the market it allows. If you are charging $20 and there's still a line to get in, why not go higher? If no one is in the club and you are still charging cover, what are you thinking?
DouggyFresh 8:39 PM - 30 March, 2009
That's what we did at one venue. Charged $20 at the door. All the thugs paid the $20+ and everyone else went to the club next door that didn't allow play thug music & enforced dress code.

Of course we had 1500+ people a night come through the door @ $20, vs the previous dress code crowd of 1000 that paid $0 at the door.

$30,000 a night pays a lot of extra security people, and buys really good metal detectors.

All of this in Mastercard format...
$20 to get drunk before you go to the club
$20 to get in the club
$0 spent at the bar
Seeing 1500 drunk fucked up thugs in the parking lot at the end of the night and one cop to deal with it. Priceless.

30,000 a night at the door playing thug music with no dress code
2 nights a week open
8 months later
$2,000,000 renovating a brand new club
Open the club that just plays house & dance music without thugs: Priceless.

Seriously though this dress code can be a very sketchy issue.
DJ Young Herrera 8:52 PM - 30 March, 2009
Quote:

Did you consider that they may have been locals with reps of spending money, or that they were guys who knew the door guy or bouncers? There are so many factors that could have contributed. If you're from out of town and you don't know anyone working the club. Its pretty much standard operating procedure to grease the door guy.

When I was in London and Paris and then again on different trip in Miami last year with my GF at some big clubs that had lines, my GF and I just walked up to the door guy ahead of the line and I shook his hand (which had $50 or $60 in it) looked him in the eye and calmly said, we don't want to wait. It worked 4 out of five times. None of the door guys even flinched. The guy it didn't work on just calmly said, I can't do it tonight, so I didn't push it. The other guys pretty much just said follow me...

They were pocketing the money and ushering us in. We all work in clubs, we know what goes down.
AKIEM 9:23 PM - 30 March, 2009
Quote:
Akiem, I think the problem is, you've lived in the South a little too long and it has distorted your views. Either that or your personal opinion of "dressing just as good, or better than other people" might not be good or better to other people.

I just told you I also lived in Brooklyn and Minneapolis (and I grew up in San Diego).
Ive toured 40 states several times, Canada, Cuba, Paris... I dont even know people outside of performers, DJs, club owners, promoters, sound guys, security, bartenders, barside weed/coke dealers and club goers. Im "regular" at spots in three states, and I dont get denied where I live, because I know how to dress and where there will be an issue with my shade.

Where I have had the most problems, is when Im caught of guard and its some white friends taking me to some place where they dont have a problem "its cool, look what I got on"

This isnt about hot exclusive clubs that have or imagine a movie star clientele. Its not about 'all white' clubs in the mid-north west, because they hardly have a dress code, I get in fine. Its not about mostly Black or Latin clubs, I get in fine, I know how to dress, even if not comfortable. This is about mixed casual clubs who believe they have a problem with 'thugs'.

I know places where they drag out three four white guys a nite, but once in a while every other week or so they have an issue with a Black guy - so they think they have a problem with 'thugs'. White guy causing problems, its him personally, Black guy causing problems and there is a problem with a "certain element trying to get in"

Mikey V, reason you cant see this is your probably 'young' and dont get out of your element too much. Its not that Ive lived in the south, or cant figure out how to dress, please.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:40 PM - 30 March, 2009
were not against rap were not against rappers but we are agonst those damn thugs hahaha
DJBlisk 9:53 PM - 30 March, 2009
well....

From my experience in LA and NY, the dopest spots don't have a dress code and play all kinds of music. Getting in through that velvet rope regardlesss if you're a guy or girl is the problem. I rarely see fights and see dudes who dress hood to old dudes in suits.

It's not the music
It's not the dress code

It's the motherfucking clientele that you let in. Don't get it twisted.
DJBlisk 9:54 PM - 30 March, 2009
It sounds like a lot of you live in racist cities.
Wes_Wes 10:06 PM - 30 March, 2009
Akiem can you post a picture of yourself and we can rip your dress code? J/k.
sixxx 10:07 PM - 30 March, 2009
lol Blisk... racist cities... that's EVERY FUCKIN' CITY IN THE WORLD. Racism will never die cause there's always an ignorant person who is afraid of you.

Anyway, I agree that it's not the music or the dress code... it's the person who let in. I've been to a ton of hip hop shows and I've never seen a fight. But, club flights? Wow.
DJBIGWIZ 10:52 PM - 30 March, 2009
for my 2 cents, Akim is on the money! I also travel/tour for a living and see the exact same thing. (I am white by the way and friends with Akim and have seen him dressed better than half the cats in the clubs we play at) I have also seen people (myself included) denied access to a club for something like a hat while I can see through the door and easily point out 7 people wearing a smiler hat. FUCK A DRESS CODE.. it IS used to be selective about who they let in and makes no sense. If I am going to a club to start trouble, do you really think by changing my pants, shirt or hat that these new clothes are gonna cast some magical calm spell on me that will make me not want to cause trouble? If anything, I'm gonna be more aggravated by having someone tell me what I can and can't wear... I am a grown man and will wear what I damn well please and my clothes have NEVER influenced my behavior. Any of you who do not get this are obviously the "privileged" ones who get in regardless of anything and of course you don't have a problem with it but to be ignorant of the fact that this does go on across the country (we're talking USA here... peace to Ireland... I'm also part Irish) is ridiculous. Dress codes don't mean shit. I'm gonna be me regardless of what I have on. I can have on kicks and baggy pants and help an old lady across the street or wear a suit and slap the shit out of you for getting smart with me... it doesn't matter. My money is good and as green as anyone else's
sixxx 11:28 PM - 30 March, 2009
Yup
DJ NoNseNse 1:51 AM - 31 March, 2009
Quote:

I went to TAO in vegas and the guy/girl ratio of a group has to be somewhat even unless you have a table.
DJBlisk 2:49 AM - 31 March, 2009
I walked into XS with 5 dudes and greased 80 bucks. Very cheap.
DJBlisk 2:50 AM - 31 March, 2009
In Hollywood, with that group if guys, you better get a table or you won't get in at all.
Boba Tha Hut 5:33 AM - 31 March, 2009
Quote:
I walked into XS with 5 dudes and greased 80 bucks. Very cheap.

There's a huge misquote somewhere in that line.
sixxx 1:47 PM - 31 March, 2009
lol
Jader 3:10 PM - 31 March, 2009
dont clubs have the right to refuse entry to anyone for any reason?
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:20 PM - 31 March, 2009
i dont think it can be any reason, a club can DEFINATLEY not say oh hey buddy sorry no black guys are aloud in here
bourbonstmc 3:21 PM - 31 March, 2009
Quote:
dont clubs have the right to refuse entry to anyone for any reason?

As long as they don't violate civil rights by applying unequal standards to different races. Even if the unspoken intent is to keep out thugs or guidos or whatever- as long as the rules are applied evenly to everybody, it's legal.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:22 PM - 31 March, 2009
its funney a club CANNOT say sorry buddy you cant come in your black but they CAN say sorry buddy you cant come in your dressed LIKE a black guy
Caramac 3:33 PM - 31 March, 2009
So if I dress like Fontworth Benzly or what ever his name is I'm cool?
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:40 PM - 31 March, 2009
Acutually that dude can dress
Caramac 3:45 PM - 31 March, 2009
You think Lil Wayne is a good rapper.
DJ Sniffles 3:50 PM - 31 March, 2009
You dont think Fonzworth Bentley can dress Caramac?
Caramac 3:56 PM - 31 March, 2009
I may be English but no lol.

And to be honest I'll probably start an argument here but I don't really consider any rappers to be good dressers.
R-Tistic 4:08 PM - 31 March, 2009
I'll tell you straight up...in L.A. and especially Orange County, things are a bit more "classist" than "racist" but racism DEFINITELY exists when it comes to clubs...even though I can ALMOST understand why, and I'm black.

The only 18+ that we had from like 02-06 was called "The Boogie," and it was in Anaheim, Orange County, which is Republican laced and more racist than most of L.A. I promise...we went there one time, and no bullshit, they searched EVERY car that was full of Black and Mexican men...but let EVERY white car go by. At first, I was like "oh, you gotta search our cars, even though we've been here 20 times? Whateeever...." and we saw em stop the Mexicans next to us....then, we saw them let a fuckin monster truck full of white boys go STRAIGHT THROUGH...then let all the girls straight through...then the Camry of white boys straight through...then stopped the Honda that had two blacks and an Asian.

When I said "oh ok, so y'all just searchin the minorities tonight huh?" he said "well we don't HAVE to search your car...but you don't HAVE to get in." I was like "well I drove all the way from Crenshaw and Rosecrans, so I'm not about to leave...go ahead and search, you aren't gonna find SHIT!" and of course, they didn't.

Another time we went, they didn't let us in because our jeans were "baggy" although some white guys got in with shorts and sandals on. Worst one to me.....I had on a BUTTON UP....and they saw I had on an undershirt (typical, right?) These faggots made me UNTUCK MY UNDERSHIRT, and they saw that it was longer than my button up...and said "you can NOT get in because your undershirt is too long"........WTF???????????? What makes it more ironic is that he was Black...so obviously, he had that "black rookie cop syndrome" going on.

So I don't mean to turn anything into a race war at all, because I am VERY sure that most whites aren't like this...but just know that it is a reality. I know that most of them can't tell the difference between a black guy with a masters degree in Engineering and a thug who stands on the corner, because in cities like L.A., both of us will have a fresh haircut and regular fitting jeans.
R-Tistic 4:30 PM - 31 March, 2009
I'll tell you straight up...in L.A. and especially Orange County, things are a bit more "classist" than "racist" but racism DEFINITELY exists when it comes to clubs...even though I can ALMOST understand why, and I'm black.

The only 18+ that we had from like 02-06 was called "The Boogie," and it was in Anaheim, Orange County, which is Republican laced and more racist than most of L.A. I promise...we went there one time, and no bullshit, they searched EVERY car that was full of Black and Mexican men...but let EVERY white car go by. At first, I was like "oh, you gotta search our cars, even though we've been here 20 times? Whateeever...." and we saw em stop the Mexicans next to us....then, we saw them let a fuckin monster truck full of white boys go STRAIGHT THROUGH...then let all the girls straight through...then the Camry of white boys straight through...then stopped the Honda that had two blacks and an Asian.

When I said "oh ok, so y'all just searchin the minorities tonight huh?" he said "well we don't HAVE to search your car...but you don't HAVE to get in." I was like "well I drove all the way from Crenshaw and Rosecrans, so I'm not about to leave...go ahead and search, you aren't gonna find SHIT!" and of course, they didn't.

Another time we went, they didn't let us in because our jeans were "baggy" although some white guys got in with shorts and sandals on. Worst one to me.....I had on a BUTTON UP....and they saw I had on an undershirt (typical, right?) These faggots made me UNTUCK MY UNDERSHIRT, and they saw that it was longer than my button up...and said "you can NOT get in because your undershirt is too long"........WTF???????????? What makes it more ironic is that he was Black...so obviously, he had that "black rookie cop syndrome" going on.

So I don't mean to turn anything into a race war at all, because I am VERY sure that most whites aren't like this...but just know that it is a reality. I know that most of them can't tell the difference between a black guy with a masters degree in Engineering and a thug who stands on the corner, because in cities like L.A., both of us will have a fresh haircut and regular fitting jeans.
sixxx 4:50 PM - 31 March, 2009
Yup. True. Sooo true.

Btw... You're black?? I'm not gonna talk to you from now on. :P
R-Tistic 4:53 PM - 31 March, 2009
Wow, somebody keeps deleting the post I'm putting up.................

Basically...some dress codes and policies are obviously aimed at race, but it's really more about class.
sixxx 4:55 PM - 31 March, 2009
You mean this post?

Quote:

sixxx 5:04 PM - 31 March, 2009
The forum is trippin'... you'll see it later. I even quoted it.... now I don't see it! hahaha
bourbonstmc 5:06 PM - 31 March, 2009
Not a conspiracy against you. The forum servers are out of whack. It happens now & then.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:07 PM - 31 March, 2009
ya all my posts for the day are one too
R-Tistic 5:45 PM - 31 March, 2009
Quote:
The forum is trippin'... you'll see it later. I even quoted it.... now I don't see it! hahaha

LMAO yeaaaaaaaaah....wow, I posted it twice and saw it gone twice.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:51 PM - 31 March, 2009
Quote:

you dj so bad scratchlive forums dont bother to display your posts
Jesus Christ 7:03 PM - 31 March, 2009
The forums are racist!!!

"Serato don't care about black people!"
-- Kanye
Flipsta 8:00 PM - 31 March, 2009
This is a good discussion...

At my old residency we ended up putting in a dress code (no caps,collared shirt) for a couple reasons.

1)After a series of shootings at clubs in the general area (including right across the street) things were tense downtown between the clubs and the city.

2) Having a dress code was part of our strategy for more "swanky" style night.

In the end it was a good thing and the same people off all colors came out...they just dressed a little nicer. ;)
Nicky Blunt 8:06 PM - 31 March, 2009
Quote:
The forums are racist!!!

"Serato don't care about black people!"
-- Kanye

hahahaha nice one OJ!!!!
CMOS 9:38 PM - 31 March, 2009
If i cant get in wearin some nikes and jeans i aint going.
djtoast 9:52 PM - 31 March, 2009
Quote:
These faggots made me UNTUCK MY UNDERSHIRT

your outrage at the idea of people being discriminated against is undermined by your choice of language a bit there, eh?
R-Tistic 10:36 PM - 31 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
These faggots made me UNTUCK MY UNDERSHIRT

your outrage at the idea of people being discriminated against is undermined by your choice of language a bit there, eh?

LOL...nah, I don't even use "faggot" in a way towards homosexuals...I only use it against undercovers and people who do things like that. LOL, same way that white dude called his white girlfriend the N word...that was actually funny.
djtoast 10:38 PM - 31 March, 2009
;)
AKIEM 11:03 PM - 31 March, 2009
I remember getting denied for having on a "white T"
(tucked in, under a fucking buttoned up long sleeve dress shirt)

the other one that kills me:
Ive got on all black straight from the box airforce 1s and get denied
(while scrubs in dirty straight off the construction site work boots walk right in)

Its not about "standards"
Wes_Wes 12:20 AM - 1 April, 2009
This post has so much humor. Man, I won't lie in O.C. its pretty crazy what goes down there. Maybe thats why I don't even bother messing with those posers in the first place. I think everyone should dress the way they want and "get it in" hold the 50 cent. Honestly dress the way you want and go where you are welcome. If your chasing some higher level or caliente, dress the part and keep it moving. Racist, sure it is. Consider it a compliment on your attempt at being vicious in a foreign place. And finally, in these poser cities your bank roll can also grant certain opportunities as well that would be denied in larger cities.
djmarkol 12:42 AM - 1 April, 2009
man i thought i had it bad,,, nah not really... iv never been refused in my life,,,, except once and i disserved it,, i couldnt walk,,, hahahahahhah... but fucken hell ye have it bad over in the usa.... i didnt notice it myself when i was there,,, got barred from the estate in boston but that was it...
CMOS 12:54 AM - 1 April, 2009
i just wanna know how bars and clubs wanna complain about ppl not dancin, but still make everyone wear uncomfortable ass kicks.
R-Tistic 2:45 AM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
This post has so much humor. Man, I won't lie in O.C. its pretty crazy what goes down there. Maybe thats why I don't even bother messing with those posers in the first place. I think everyone should dress the way they want and "get it in" hold the 50 cent. Honestly dress the way you want and go where you are welcome. If your chasing some higher level or caliente, dress the part and keep it moving. Racist, sure it is. Consider it a compliment on your attempt at being vicious in a foreign place. And finally, in these poser cities your bank roll can also grant certain opportunities as well that would be denied in larger cities.

LMAO @ "poser cities" but damn, that's how it is in some places. Even Hollywood is funny to me...for people who are really from here, we realize that most TRUE "celebrity" parties aren't the ones that people line up outside for hours and pay $150 to get into....they have private functions that the "regular public" won't even know about unless they are first cousins with the DJ/bartender...so yeah, Hollywood is low key a poser city, LMAO.
BIG DJ PHAZE 12:28 AM - 2 April, 2009
In my market (Cleveland and Erie) it's mostly "all hood" or "no hood" (at least at the big clubs).

So if you want a preppy working class crowd play sportsbar music (80's, New Wave, Cheese).

If you want a tight shirt wearing boy crowd play electro house and mash-ups.

If you want a hip-hop night, play hip hop but don't plan on being in business for very long (Grand Opening/Grand Closing), it's always been like that, just listen to MC Shan "The Bridge" (We couldnt get no peace, that's why the jams out here in park they had to cease...cause you're in..the bridge, queensbridge...)

I've seen it happen more times than I could count :(
THAT'S JUST THE WAY IT IS!

Bring it back to the underground, rent halls, do invites, <b>hold people accountable for their behavior</b>, and close early, most drama is late night anyway!

Dress code is just a nice way of keeping the "undesireables" out of the establishment.
BIG DJ PHAZE 12:30 AM - 2 April, 2009
But then again, what do I know?
DjRekTek 5:17 AM - 24 June, 2009
Damn..I lost track of this thread..it seemed to be as popular as a Sixxx thread..lol
lost vegas 5:52 AM - 24 June, 2009
Black white gay strait tall short old young so on and so on....all so pointless!!! If poeple could just grasp how small we are in this universe we might just get along as living things with a very very short life span.... :( I know I sound lame but this life is too short and fun to hate each other. Think of the great people some of us will never meet because of these views. This shit hurts my sole!!!!!!
Caramac 8:09 AM - 24 June, 2009
How about your soul? Does that hurt too :o)
lost vegas 8:35 AM - 24 June, 2009
I feel very stupid now!!!! The one time in my life i try to be serious and i hang myself. "sole" WTF. Good call Caramac, i am retarted. lol