DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Promoters & DJs Wanted...

DjWoody 8:20 AM - 2 May, 2006
My girl is taking over her dad's bar/club in Anaheim. It's a small hip hop joint.

Her brother is managing it but is doing a fucken horrible job at it. She's slowly taking over. The club is 200 capacity. Three weeks ago, her brother fired the DJ that's been with the club for over a year and now they don't have anyone. He was doing Friday, Saturday, and special events. That DJ used to pack that place, but for the last two weeks, there has been NO DJ, so people walk in and walk out. The DJ they hired from another club is not realible at all. I walked into her venue last week, and he was just setting up at 11:30pm!!! I was pist off!!! She told me that he didn't even show up on Saturday.

I'm gonna get her started on this, but since they never delt with promoters before, this will be a new experience for them. This new DJ, will be there Friday and Saturday unless she hires two different ones.

She also needs promoters to bring in a new crowd since they lost most of it when they fired the DJ.

I know what you're gonna ask, but I can't play there everyweekend. If I do, it could ruin our relationship. I dont want to mixed business with pleasure. Not only that, but I also have other gigs booked.

BTW, she needs the DJ to start ASAP!!! Possibly this Saturday. I will play for her on Friday, but Saturday, I'm playing in Hollywood.

The venue has a NICE sound system. They have a TCS System there. www.tcsaudio.com. Sometimes I take my own bass bottoms to make it sound nicer. The DJ booth is a different story. They only have a pair of Pioneer CDJ's and a cheap Stanton mixer. They had better mixer, but someone stoled it during a live performance. :( But don't worry, cuz if you can't take your mixer or want to use tables, you will most likely use mine until she buys what's missing. I have two 1210's, 2 Pioneer CJDs, and a Pioneer DJM Mixer.

Anyone interested send me a PM or hit me up on AIM... djwoody714 is my screename.

---- One more thing, if you can play hip hop & some spanish music is a BIG PLUS!!!! Theyre gonna try to change the format to include spanish rock. They wanna do something similar to QC's, Ambiente, and Xalos - a little bit of everything.

Oh yeah, and my main concearn is PROMOTERS... I NEED THEM BAD!!!! I think I need them more than I need DJs. The promoters can choose their nights. She has all 7 nights open!!! They never needed them until now.
MusicMeister 2:24 PM - 2 May, 2006
Have her drop me a line. I can give her some ideas on marketing and promotions and a few books to pick up with some good information.

I had a simliar situation where the owner was open then closed then open and kept mixing up the days he was open. People stopped coming because they didn't know if the place would be open! Add in the fact that the owner is a crack addict and overly parnoid and it only gets WORSE! The DJ was an idiot and using Windows Media player to handle the music and it never changed unless the customers broguht stuff in. If I can turn that place around I think I can help her get the place back on the map - even if I'm not even close to California! (I'm in Alaska until Friday and then I'll be in Florida).

I'll talk with my fiance to get a handle on the local scene since she grew up in the LA area.
romerom 2:54 PM - 2 May, 2006
I sent you a pm :)
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 4:40 PM - 2 May, 2006
dang Woodster, big props on hookin up a fellow Serato brother!
Best of luck and keep us posted (pics/vids/audio clips)
anewsome 4:57 PM - 2 May, 2006
Quote:
Oh yeah, and my main concearn is PROMOTERS... I NEED THEM BAD!!!! I think I need them more than I need DJs.

most clubs are in this position, they need good promoters more than they need good djs. in my experience, good promoters are harder to come by than a dj who can hold his own once you bring him a crowd.

anyway man, i sent you a pm. i work with some pretty good promoters so hopefully i can help you out.
DJBlisk 4:57 PM - 2 May, 2006
I would totally help out, but I don't have spanish music. Only some baile funk and other stuff. Woody, hit me up if you want.
Dj K.Smith 5:11 PM - 2 May, 2006
She can holla at me Dj Woody...
Sim 5:41 PM - 2 May, 2006
Man Id luv to help out, but I dont do any Spanish, but HipHop/R&B/Top 40 I kill

And hav done gigs with over 1000 people before all thru out So Cali

tho this saturday Ill be in vegas for the de la hoya fight 8)
DjWoody 6:33 PM - 2 May, 2006
Thanks everyone... I will get back to you guys ASAP! I'll let her know who's interested.

Anyhow, here's some pictures from several parties I did there. I'll look for better ones later.

livemag.web.aplus.net
livemag.web.aplus.net
livemag.web.aplus.net
livemag.web.aplus.net
livemag.web.aplus.net
livemag.web.aplus.net
livemag.web.aplus.net
Sim 6:41 PM - 2 May, 2006
where in Anaheim is it exactly if u dont mind me askin (Im less than 10 miles from Anaheim)? And wat kind of crowd does the club usually pull in? (age range, ghetto/nonghetto lol, etc)
DjWoody 6:47 PM - 2 May, 2006
It's in the corner of Ball & Brookhurst. The crowd varies. When I did my nights, I used to bring a white house crowd. When the other DJ did his hip hop, he brought the latin hip hop scene. But now, they're starting from scratch again. They have no promoters or DJs. So it will be a new crowd for sure. Dunno what kind yet.
Sim 6:50 PM - 2 May, 2006
cool stuff, best of luck with it with whatever happens
DJBlisk 8:23 PM - 2 May, 2006
The setup looks to be more for house djs.
DjWoody 9:51 PM - 2 May, 2006
It was a house night.
DJ Unique 11:43 PM - 2 May, 2006
Hey Woody, if you need a Friday DJ let me know. I'm in the L.A. area and can spin Hip Hop, House, Reggaeton, Spanish Rock, and a whole lot of other stuff.

I am not available on Saturdays though. I spin at a club in Glendale.
mightyjunebugg 11:49 PM - 2 May, 2006
What is the name of the spot?
Dj Ace 1:51 AM - 3 May, 2006
I interested PM me also!
Julls 2:51 AM - 3 May, 2006
Yo mightyjunebugg are you the same girl from the ISP board ages ago that ripped people off with the face plates for the mixers?
dj synystr 3:06 PM - 3 May, 2006
are the considering bringing in out of town dj's for special apperances? if so let me know and i can have my manager forward my press kit to her!
mightyjunebugg 3:58 PM - 3 May, 2006
Quote:
Yo mightyjunebugg are you the same girl from the ISP board ages ago that ripped people off with the face plates for the mixers?

Yes, I'm the same girl from back in the day. Please dont say I ripped people off though, thats not really what happened.
dj synystr 4:04 PM - 3 May, 2006
what happened let us know the facts, lol/
anewsome 4:06 PM - 3 May, 2006
i like a good face plate ripoff story as much as the next guy, so i'd like to hear it too.
DJBlisk 4:26 PM - 3 May, 2006
curious!
Julls 4:27 PM - 3 May, 2006
Sorry for bringing it up, all I know is what I heard and read on Scratchcon ages ago. I don't want to start any e-beef.
dj synystr 4:30 PM - 3 May, 2006
nah no beef were all vegitarians here!
Julls 4:32 PM - 3 May, 2006
I'll let mightyjunebugg clear it up.
mightyjunebugg 4:33 PM - 3 May, 2006
hee hee, (ohhh the drama) no more stories about it. That stuff is like 6 years old!

To keep it short:
There are 3 people who didnt get theirs. The response was overwhelming and I wasnt prepared to handle the volume of orders I received. I'm a creative person and hadnt learned to be a business person, it wasnt intentional. I still feel REALLY bad about it and would refund them if I had their addresses. If you are reading this and you are one of the three affected, email me asap and I will compansate you right away. Onlybuggin@hotmail.com

Karma defiantly showed me whats up in this situation.

Oh man, this is gonna go on my tombstone, I just know it!
mightyjunebugg 4:34 PM - 3 May, 2006
ps, thanks Julls!

xoxoxo,
junebugg
Julls 4:40 PM - 3 May, 2006
No problem.
dj synystr 4:44 PM - 3 May, 2006
see that was simple, good to hear your making good! so now what faceplaces we talking mixer? ssl what i might want one, if your a buisness person now.
mightyjunebugg 4:50 PM - 3 May, 2006
I used to make them for the Vestax o5, o6 & o7. Stanton Sk1, sk2 & sk2f. And Rane ttm52 & 54. Its too hard to make them for todays mixers because of their design. Plus, unless I had someone I REALLY trusted to run the business side for me, I wouldnt do it again.

They were super dope looking though, I gotta give it to myself on that one...
vidoona 4:59 PM - 3 May, 2006
Woody, that's really cool that you're hookin up the cali SSL users. Props. So, given the recent pay scale thread and that discussion, how much you gonna pay DJs to play given decent talent? :)
vidoona 5:01 PM - 3 May, 2006
Quote:
Thanks everyone... I will get back to you guys ASAP! I'll let her know who's interested.

Anyhow, here's some pictures from several parties I did there. I'll look for better ones later.

Dual 15" monitors?.....looks like that booth could be a pretty good tinitus machine.
tehfoiler 5:59 PM - 3 May, 2006
Why was the other DJ fired if he was packing the place?
DjWoody 6:13 PM - 3 May, 2006
Quote:
Woody, that's really cool that you're hookin up the cali SSL users. Props. So, given the recent pay scale thread and that discussion, how much you gonna pay DJs to play given decent talent? :)

That I have no idea, I'm not the owner or manager. I'm just trying to hook up a fellow SSL User... That Pay thread was the first thing that came to my mind too. It's her dad's venue. She's just slowly taking over. Her dad will decide how much, but I can try to influence his decision.

By the way, she read this post last night and got all happy. I also showed her the IM's I've been getting.

Quote:
Why was the other DJ fired if he was packing the place?

He didn't show up to work two weeks in advanced cuz he went to DJ somewhere else. The first week, he called me and asked me if I could replace him for the night. I did. The second week, I was booked, so he called someone else and that person never showed up, so they ended up shutting the night down. They lost a lot of money!!!!
anewsome 6:40 PM - 3 May, 2006
Can I see some pics of these dope ass faceplates?
DjWoody 6:44 PM - 3 May, 2006
That's what I was about to ask
dj synystr 7:08 PM - 3 May, 2006
so woody answer the ? is she gonna bring out of town djs in?
DjWoody 7:12 PM - 3 May, 2006
I really doubt it... the place is not big enough for out of town performances. I know last year, I got contacted by a friend of mine who asked me if Psycho Real could have a private party there. We negotiated and they shut down the whole club just for them. It was a fun night too!
mightyjunebugg 8:28 PM - 3 May, 2006
Woody, my boy owns a record store in Anaheim and he wants to do a saturday there. Not EVERY saturday, just once a month or at least just once. Flyers, performances, djs and everything. Can we work something out?

Junebugg
DJBlisk 9:21 PM - 3 May, 2006
lets see the faceplates junebugg!
anewsome 9:29 PM - 3 May, 2006
bring me the faceplates!
DjWoody 9:49 PM - 3 May, 2006
Quote:
Woody, my boy owns a record store in Anaheim and he wants to do a saturday there. Not EVERY saturday, just once a month or at least just once. Flyers, performances, djs and everything. Can we work something out?

Junebugg

Is it Fat Beats? or Beats Vinyl Life something like that?
anewsome 9:54 PM - 3 May, 2006
all this "on topic" talk is getting in the way of me seeing these face plates dangit.
mexicannnnnn 10:03 PM - 3 May, 2006
Quote:
all this "on topic" talk is getting in the way of me seeing these face plates dangit.

Here it is:
www.mosaicfrance.com
mightyjunebugg 10:12 PM - 3 May, 2006
Woody: Beats, Vinyl & Life

anewsome: I'm sorry, I dont have any pics saved on this coputer

mexicannnnn: ahhhh haaaaa, hee hee, thanks!

everyone else: xoxoxoxo
mightyjunebugg 10:19 PM - 3 May, 2006
actually, I found one...here is one for Disk's O7
i59.photobucket.com
DJBlisk 10:21 PM - 3 May, 2006
wow!
DjWoody 10:32 PM - 3 May, 2006
Mighty... I was under the impression they were supposed to do something there a while back. I know someone is doing undergroun hip hop on Thursdays and when I went a few weeks back, it was poppin.
mightyjunebugg 10:48 PM - 3 May, 2006
I dont have AIM, how else can i get a hold of you?
DjWoody 11:51 PM - 3 May, 2006
email... info@djwoody.com
DjWoody 10:54 PM - 7 May, 2006
Here's the final verdict...

They still need a DJ starting this FRIDAY (MAY 12).

Rather than PM everyone back, I will post it here. They're willing to pay $150 a night for the mean time, and as time goes by and crowd picks up, they will work on a raise.

Hours are from 10pm - 2am. Doors open at 9pm, but no one gets there that early. That's why I said 10pm. That dont mean you get there at 10pm... That means music starts at 10pm. That was the problem they had with the other DJ.. He was getting there past 10pm and music wasnt starting til 11pm.

The DJ booth...
They only have Pioneer CDJs. I'm gonna try to get them to buy a new mixer.

If anyone still interested, holla at me.

- Woody
whitematic 12:55 AM - 9 May, 2006
You should talk them into buying a 56, 2 1200's and serato.
Then anyone can spin at the joint. I wouldn't want to have to bring in a 56, 2 1200's and my serato box. And If I wanted it sound good, I should bring in some subs too. Too much heavy lifting and setup for $150.00
I live 4 minutes away from that joint and drive by it everyday, to and from work. Not a bad spot...
Dj Ace 2:20 AM - 9 May, 2006
I am interested I tried to PM you my phone number but I couldn't start a private for some reason...anyhow hollar at me I am interested in starting with a club from the ground up!
germanbaboon 2:48 AM - 9 May, 2006
On any speciality-music night and you need a trance dj. I can do it. i'm in north orange county.
Sim 3:04 AM - 9 May, 2006
ya, if u hav a non-spanish rock requirin nite, strictly top 40/r&b/rap, Im down
liberated soul 5:37 AM - 11 May, 2006
I'm in the so-cali area. I sent you a PM woody.
DjWoody 6:08 PM - 11 May, 2006
Thanks everyone... We decided to go with a fellow SSL board member... DJ Unique for Friday nights as he plays exactly the music we're looking for, and with DJ R8 on Saturdays as he has played in that venue several times already.

If any changes happen, I'll fill you guys in!

THANKS!!!!
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 8:12 PM - 11 May, 2006
good deal Woody!
mexicannnnnn 2:39 AM - 12 May, 2006
Great job with sharing the love woody! :-)

I love it when this family helps each other out rather then pulls out the popcorn to watch a flame war...
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 4:20 PM - 12 May, 2006
wouldn't it be lovely if clubs had SSL pre wired.
anewsome 4:58 PM - 12 May, 2006
Quote:

Sutra does.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 6:23 PM - 12 May, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

Sutra does.

wow! ok.

so, all you need to do is drag your lappy (and/or ext. hd.)
does sutra give you the option to spin with wax and cdj?
CQuence 3:21 AM - 18 May, 2006
never spun at Sutra but been there many times, they got tables set up, and im sure u could bring cjd's if u wanted, im livin in irvine for the summer so hopefully i can get a chance to spin at Sutra
anewsome 3:25 AM - 18 May, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sutra does.

wow! ok.

so, all you need to do is drag your lappy (and/or ext. hd.)
does sutra give you the option to spin with wax and cdj?

sutra has one of those big ass 19inch mixers with a gang of inputs. they also have one of them dual cd players with a 19 inch rack mount controler and cd drawers at waist level pointing at you. no CDJs though, and not really anywhere to put them if you brought them yourself.

you can however switch from ssl to real vinyl to cds just by changing the channel assign on the mixer. you don't have to re-wire anything. although i always see either straight vinyl or ssl djs only there. never seen anyone rock cds.
CQuence 3:40 AM - 18 May, 2006
anewsome, u spin there before?
Dj KaGeN 4:51 PM - 18 May, 2006
he's probably waiting in line to get in...........