DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Wireless Mics

DJ Bloch la Rock 11:41 PM - 1 May, 2006
Any mobile DJs using a solid (but not top of the line) wireless mic? I need one for general announcements and things.
Dj Ace 11:51 PM - 1 May, 2006
This one is the bomb:www.djdeals.com
Dj Ace 11:52 PM - 1 May, 2006
Also this one is good:www.djdeals.com
djtonypsalms 12:24 AM - 2 May, 2006
Man, after a "Shure" wireless mic crapped out on me during a very important event, I vowed to always use one with a cord.

Now, I just rock a Shure SM58 and a cord.

100 ft. for long runs, and a 25 ft. for shorter ones.
djtonypsalms 12:25 AM - 2 May, 2006
EDIT: ... after using a "Shure"...
DJ Bloch la Rock 12:28 AM - 2 May, 2006
Thanks. How many times did the wireless let you down?
djtonypsalms 1:31 AM - 2 May, 2006
It's not how many times, it just crapped out at the wrong time.

Picture this:

High paying client (father of bride) is making a toast to the family... and Mic intermittently goes off & on. I felt so bad, after that ish happened.

And yes, I had installed fresh new batteries, so there was no reason for it to crap out.
DJ Bloch la Rock 1:43 AM - 2 May, 2006
DAMN! That is what I'm worried about.
Julls 2:20 AM - 2 May, 2006
Quote:
Any mobile DJs using a solid (but not top of the line) wireless mic? I need one for general announcements and things.

I use a Nady UHF-7.
DJ Unique 5:46 AM - 2 May, 2006
I've been using wireless Shure's for a long time without any problems. My mixer has 2 mike inputs so I also have a corded Shure with a 100ft cord.
DJC 6:40 AM - 2 May, 2006
i was thinking of getting the Shure PGX24/BETA 58 Wireless Microphone System. is this a good mic?
MusicMeister 2:30 PM - 2 May, 2006
For wireless mics Shure makes an excellent product.

If you purchase be sure to get a diversity system that has a broad spectrum of frequencies it will work on and preferally lots of channels.

You can go inexpensive, but NOT cheap. There is a HUGE difference!

BTW, if you're going to only be doing toasting and annoucements the Beta 58 is overkill. Chances are you'd never be able to tell the difference between the PG-58, Beta 58, and SM58 until you start having a lot of people singing into them.

And ALWAYS have a wired mic as a backup!
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 4:20 PM - 2 May, 2006
Quote:
It's not how many times, it just crapped out at the wrong time.

Picture this:

High paying client (father of bride) is making a toast to the family... and Mic intermittently goes off & on. I felt so bad, after that ish happened.

And yes, I had installed fresh new batteries, so there was no reason for it to crap out.

yo Tony, can u give us a model and link to that problem sure wireless mic
djtonypsalms 5:44 PM - 2 May, 2006
^^ I don't remember the model #, but I do remember paying $500 for it 5+ years ago and it had green lettering on the receiver with a SM58 element. ^^

Granted, technology has gotten better over the years, so wireless mics have improved. Still don't trust them though, like how I'll always bring "1" crate of vinyl jus' in case.
DjWoody 9:59 PM - 2 May, 2006
D00d... My wireless is ROCK SOLID and it's way louder, crispier and cleaner than the Shure SM58 Wireless.

I have the Sennheiser Evolution G2 Handheld.

pssl.com
pssl.com
DjWoody 10:02 PM - 2 May, 2006
Oh yeah, I had an SM58 Wireless make me look bad before. It was really low. That night I rented an SM58 and was using my G2 at the same time. You can hear the difference. I had to crank up the SM58 to hear it good.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 10:43 PM - 2 May, 2006
dang! hella scrillagde! one day i'll get that woody...right now i'm suffering with the dual uhf wireless gemini :(
DjWoody 10:56 PM - 2 May, 2006
Hahaha! Only reason I bought it was because I was doing live acts at my parties. Otherwise, I would've not purchased it.
DJ Unique 11:28 PM - 2 May, 2006
I own a PGX24/SM58 but I have an older Shure wireless with a Beta 58 element and both have been very dependable.

My friend has a Sennheisser Evolution (not G2) and that is also a very good wireless mike. It has a lot of pre-sets.

I would recommend either of those based on my experience.
dj synystr 3:11 PM - 3 May, 2006
almost any UHF mic should work well. look on ebay for UHF Cordless mic theres a dude that has them for like 125 bucks i got one and the mic is amaving. i have used it for many big artist with no problems, and the batteries last forever!