DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

should i buy refurbished powered speakers

Dj Mixstyles 3:37 AM - 15 August, 2014
Pssl.com has a sale on Alto speakers and sub 2800 watts altogether for 799.00. I use my homeboy jbl's for years I wanna get my own stuff, what yall think?
desmorider 3:54 AM - 15 August, 2014
I've heard alot about the alto's throwing out the magic smoke man. Since they have been refurbed, maybe they got it right the second time around. Will they still give you full factory warranty? How many speakers is that for $799? Do some research, sometimes you get what you pay for. They won't be making you any money if they are in the shop getting repaired.
dj_soo 4:57 AM - 15 August, 2014
I would only get refurbed if it comes with a proper warranty.

Don't concern yourself with watts - it means nothing in today's world of bullshit marketing-speak.

With alto's you're getting a pair of decent-sounding entry-level speakers that won't get very loud and tend to blow easily if pushed.

If you know what you're doing with sound and know when to accept that it won't get any louder, I hear they're decent. But if you don't know what you're doing and push them beyond their limits, you'll be taking them back to the repair shop quickly.
Dj Mixstyles 5:28 AM - 15 August, 2014
Aight dj_soo that's real I also was looking at those JBL Eon 515xt im going back and forth. What do you use? Or should I say recommend?
dj_soo 6:03 AM - 15 August, 2014
for low-end speakers, the EV ZLX are probably your best bet. A bit more expensive than the other low-end options tho but much better than the competition in terms of sound and build.

$399 ea for the 12s, $499 for the 15s but you can probably haggle most shops down a bit.
Dj Mixstyles 6:52 AM - 15 August, 2014
Aight thats whats up
pdidy 8:12 AM - 15 August, 2014
i second dj soo's recommendation. the EV ZLX is by far one of the best cheap speakers ive every used. they dont sound cheap and have freakin excellent protection which is perfect for djs just learning sound. they can be had for $400ea just be persistent. get the 15in and save for a sub like the qsc kw181 which is also nearly impossible to blow.
Joee 3:25 PM - 15 August, 2014
i say get this foe a little more money, it beats the zlx15 in all aspects
shop.chucklevins.com
JDforKing 4:34 PM - 15 August, 2014
Quote:
shop.chucklevins.com

Joee, would you say the rcfs have similar bass response to the zlx15p?
Joee 6:30 PM - 15 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
shop.chucklevins.com

Joee, would you say the rcfs have similar bass response to the zlx15p?

better, that hd/fd line really has a nice bass response ,the 12" bass like a 15"
rayjthedj 10:30 PM - 15 August, 2014
If you are ever planning to add a sub, don't waste a lot of money on 15" tops, or spend extra money on a 12" top, with a little better bottom end, as you would be better off buying the ZLX12P tops (should be able to find them around $650.00 a pair), then spend money on the best single sub you can buy and transport.

Unless you like to burn peoples ears off with highs and mids (acid rock) the ZLX12Ps (crossed at 100hz in live mode) will keep up with all the decent 15" and 18" subs on the market. My ZLX12Ps handle my single ETX15SP easily and will keep up with a pair of the ETX subs on dance (bass heavy music).
DJ NoNseNse 3:18 AM - 17 August, 2014
Which altos are they?
djvtyme85 11:49 AM - 19 August, 2014
do not buy altos. in the long run your wasting money. they arent dependable. you'll find yourself babying them and they will still blow out. bad manufacturing and parts are always gonna give you trouble. i'd go ev zlx series for a lil extra cash and you'll have a dependable speaker.
phonze 2:23 PM - 19 August, 2014
ehhh, I would not buy refurb alto's for that price
Logisticalstyles 1:06 PM - 20 August, 2014
I would definitely say don't buy refurbished powered speakers. A few months ago I bought a used JBL EON515XT from my local Guitar Center outlet store for $100. There was an issue with the power supply but it was still under warranty. I took it to the authorized JBL repair shop and they fixed it for free. I was able to use it at a gig but one night while playing at the house it suddenly cut off and won't come back on. Thankfully the warranty repair has a 90 day warranty so I can get it fixed again. I'll never buy used speakers again. You never know what they've been through and even if refurbished by an authorized repair shop they may still fail you.
I'm about to get this JBL fixed and sell it ASAP. Since I only paid $100 for it I should still make a profit on the sale.
JDforKing 1:34 PM - 20 August, 2014
i've purchased many used or open box speakers for reputable ebay sellers and have had absolutely no problems with them.
JDforKing 1:34 PM - 20 August, 2014
Quote:
i've purchased many used or open box speakers for reputable ebay sellers and have had absolutely no problems with them.

i've also purchased refurbished speakers too.
Dj Mixstyles 3:00 AM - 8 September, 2014
Quote:
Which altos are they?

trusonic 112a 12' comes with a 18 inch sub all together 2800 watts from pro sound stage and lighting but i think the sale is over with now, but what you think about Alto?
Joee 5:11 AM - 8 September, 2014
Quote:
but what you think about Alto?

they belong in a trash can IMO
Dj Mixstyles 5:26 AM - 8 September, 2014
lol ok
Joee 5:52 AM - 8 September, 2014
Quote:
shop.chucklevins.com

that's the speaker you want if you don't have a big budget
dj_soo 6:52 AM - 10 September, 2014
Quote:
all together 2800 watts

it's not really 2800 watts. I wouldn't put any credence to what companies say their wattage of their speakers are with the exception of a very small few.

RCF is one of the few companies that lists real wattage. Most either list theoretical numbers, peak numbers as RMS, or simply straight-up lies.
DJ Dac 10:44 PM - 10 September, 2014
I have had luck with PSSL's refurbished items. 15 years ago I bought a CV 15' home theater sub from them and it had an issue with the amp, they covered the shipping back to CV for the free fix. got a stupid awesome deal on it. just make sure it comes with the factory warranty
Logisticalstyles 11:15 PM - 10 September, 2014
I'm still waiting to get that refurbished EON back from the shop. Today I was told it wouldn't be until the 20th of this month because the main board is back ordered. I've learned my lesson with refurbished speakers. I bought that speaker in June and this is the second time it's been in the shop.