DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

SoundCloud: Putting you're mix up

http://serato.com/user/id:5618853 6:42 PM - 13 August, 2014
Hi there, Maybe someone can help me out here! Im trying to put up my new mix that i recorded onto Soundcloud but it keeps on taking my track off because of copyright reasons. How do you make you're track stay on without them taking it off?
CMOS 6:43 PM - 13 August, 2014
Don't put up copyrighted material.

Or try putting a nice 30-45 second intro before the mix starts. Some people say the intros work some say it doesn't, only one way to find out.
DJ Irv 7:14 PM - 13 August, 2014
Honestly, forget soundCloud for mixes. It's pretty much doomed now that they gave a Universal the right to take down anything they want. SoundCloud sealed their own fate. SoundCloud = MySpace. Was once great and now nobody uses it.
DJ Remix Detroit 8:58 PM - 13 August, 2014
use mix cloud
Dj Shamann 11:11 PM - 13 August, 2014
Quote:
use mix cloud
DJ DisGrace 11:59 PM - 13 August, 2014
MixCrate works well for me
DJ SPAIR 9:05 AM - 14 August, 2014
Quote:
MixCrate works well for me

This man knows what he's talking about!
AlxRyde 3:51 PM - 14 August, 2014
Use Mixcloud, they require you to timestamp your stuff, but they support Serato Playlists and Traktor Playlist files to make it easier. For Serato, after you record a session, just go to your history, click the time and date header, then export to Serato Playlists. When its up, copy and paste the link into our time stamp area and its automagically done.
Dj Rehab 5:04 PM - 14 August, 2014
put an intro on it. Soundcloud has the most listeners and still has the mobile app game on lock so people can listen at the gym and on the road.

i've put up 5 or six mixes this year with an intro, never had a problem.
soundcloud.com
Dj Rehab 5:07 PM - 14 August, 2014
soundcloud is most def not myspace....lol
DJ Irv 7:20 PM - 14 August, 2014
No, it isn't MySpace was much much bigger before it fell off.
Mr. Goodkat 8:35 PM - 14 August, 2014
65 mixes and counting, none have been taken down. put an movie quote or spoken intro with a little synth sound behind it. I only have about 10k plays so maybe the small number of plays helps.
DJ Cee Los 4:37 AM - 15 August, 2014
What I do is record at least 5 seconds of no sound then start playing the music. It seems to work for me like that.
DJ SPAIR 1:03 AM - 16 August, 2014
Quote:
Honestly, forget soundCloud for mixes. It's pretty much doomed now that they gave a Universal the right to take down anything they want. SoundCloud sealed their own fate. SoundCloud = MySpace. Was once great and now nobody uses it.

Maybe for you it feel off. Lol. I get over 1000 legitimate plays a week.

[URL=imageshack.com][IMG]imagizer.imageshack.us[/IMG][/URL]
DJ SPAIR 1:06 AM - 16 August, 2014
DJ Irv 5:26 AM - 16 August, 2014
Spair is right. I don't get 1000plays a week but I still got 10,000 myspace friends not including Tom.
DJ SPAIR 8:05 PM - 16 August, 2014
Quote:
Spair is right. I don't get 1000plays a week but I still got 10,000 myspace friends not including Tom.

Well if Your Irv Gotti I would hope you have around 10,000 myspace friends.

en.wikipedia.org
DJ Irv 10:52 PM - 16 August, 2014
Spair. I don't think you are going to get take downs. You are not really mixing but, more like remixing and producing-props to you. It's good to see dj's into their 40's stay relevant. For DJ's that just like to blend things mainly SC is just not for them. I do stick to my point that SC has doomed their fate by just handing over the keys to the kingdom to Universal but, that's for time to tell.
DJ SPAIR 12:01 AM - 17 August, 2014
Quote:
Spair. I don't think you are going to get take downs. You are not really mixing but, more like remixing and producing-props to you. It's good to see dj's into their 40's stay relevant. For DJ's that just like to blend things mainly SC is just not for them. I do stick to my point that SC has doomed their fate by just handing over the keys to the kingdom to Universal but, that's for time to tell.

You want me to tell why Soundcloud is under so much scrutiny?
Free accounts. This enabled any joe shmo to upload the actual song of an artist and make it available for FREE downloads. People abused the website and used it for the wrong intentions.

UMG who owns a majority of copyrights for most US based music most likely threatened them with lawsuits.Same thing happened to Youtube years ago,and people just found other platforms like Vimeo and Facebook to upload infringed material. Has Youtube hasn't gone anywhere?

Trust me there's enough musicians,producers and songwriters in this world to who create ORIGINAL music to sustain Soundcloud's longevity. They could give two shits about DJ mixes and remixers.
Mr. Goodkat 1:13 AM - 17 August, 2014
Quote:
DJ's that just like to blend things mainly SC is just not for them.

Quote:
They could give two shits about DJ mixes and remixers.

i dj live with tts and ssl, and almost all of my SC mixes are done in ableton, easy in's and outs, nothing like i've dj live.. its not because he's doing live remixes.
Dj Rehab 6:12 PM - 18 August, 2014
I have 50 or so mixes on there and 70 remixes/edits.............I get 100k plays a week and I've never had a problem with takedowns unless I put no intro on it. Soundcloud is still popular, almost every person I know has it including some parents.........
R-Tistic 8:56 PM - 18 August, 2014
I tried different formats, but man, I literally have to use Soundcloud for various reasons, mainly the audience that's there, and the ease of using the site. Especially mobile...some other sites aren't mobile friendly. So it's worth the gamble to me...I just make sure to put that 10 second intro on, and there's no problems...unless you make a Prince mix. Also, don't put the tracklist on there either.
Dj Rehab 10:32 PM - 18 August, 2014
Quote:
I tried different formats, but man, I literally have to use Soundcloud for various reasons, mainly the audience that's there, and the ease of using the site. Especially mobile...some other sites aren't mobile friendly. So it's worth the gamble to me...I just make sure to put that 10 second intro on, and there's no problems...unless you make a Prince mix. Also, don't put the tracklist on there either.

Yeah, it's widely known. And still very popular........I use Mixcrate and Mixcloud too, but they just don't get the spins anywhere close
R-Tistic 10:57 PM - 18 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, it's widely known. And still very popular........I use Mixcrate and Mixcloud too, but they just don't get the spins anywhere close

Yep, I understand why DJ's are totally against it and almost calling it stupid to use it. But man...it's no other way to go. I built up a great following on there, and right before hitting 100,000 listens, I got banned. And I figured everyone would follow me from there to whatever else I used...but I still went from a good 400 listens a day on Soundcloud, to barely 30-40 a day between Audiomack, Mixcrate, and Mixcloud. So it's just worth the risk at this point.
DJ SPAIR 2:47 AM - 19 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure about mixcloud but mixcrate is really good for mixes and they actually advertise you on the front page once you've uploaded a mix.I use mixcrate for most of my releases and keep my original production and remixes on Soundcloud.