DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

No audio coming out from EV elx 115p

Smoke21 9:00 PM - 3 August, 2014
Hello all, i was turning on my speakers today which are EV ELX 115p one turns on and audio come out but from the other one from the back the on switch turns on but from the front the logo doesnt turn on... Check the switch on which you have the option to have the EV light on or off but it was on... Could anyone give me suggestions about what could be wrong?.... Thanka for any feedback
Dj MacMillz 10:54 PM - 3 August, 2014
Did you try sending audio through it?
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:57 PM - 3 August, 2014
Well it sounds like its fucked,
check the obvious and use the power cord from the working one on this one see if you get the same(if it works with that wire you blew the fuse in the plug )

if that doesn't work and its still under warranty check with ev about a replacement or repair

if its out of warrenty just open up the speaker there might be a additional fuse in there you can replace if not you might have fried the internal amp
Dj MacMillz 11:02 PM - 3 August, 2014
Quote:
Did you try sending audio through it?

Disregard, lol....just re-read the title.
Smoke21 11:57 PM - 3 August, 2014
How will ev know if its under warranty.. With the serial number of that speaker??
Dj MacMillz 12:32 AM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
How will ev know if its under warranty.. With the serial number of that speaker??

Yes, or the warranty card you should have filled out, or registration when purchased or even a bill of sale/receipt.
Smoke21 4:01 AM - 4 August, 2014
But if i blown something it would either be the woofer or the tweeter either one but not both
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:57 AM - 4 August, 2014
If its a powered speaker there is a amp too and that sounds like the issue unless it's something stupid your doing
DJ GaFFle 3:23 PM - 4 August, 2014
Like someone mentioned above, take the power cord and XLR signal cord being used on the working speaker and swap it with the problem one. If it doesn't work, take it to a repair shop. It's most likely still under the EV 3-year warranty.

Quote:
But if i blown something it would either be the woofer or the tweeter either one but not both

Is this a question or a statement?
Smoke21 4:41 PM - 4 August, 2014
Its still under warranty i called EV and they gave me an address where to go so im going to see what they say
TheGreyOrange 1:48 AM - 25 August, 2015
I'm having the same problem with mine. Did you get yours fixed? what was the problem? thanks
Smoke21 4:36 AM - 25 August, 2015
hey TheGreyOrange, well took it to a authorized repair shop and said that a cable got disconnected, That was all.
Kewlage 8:09 PM - 16 November, 2016
Hey Smoke21 which cable was it? having the same issue.
Smoke21 1:37 PM - 17 November, 2016
When i took it to the repair shop they said it was a cable but they never pointed out which one it was... sorry... hope you get it fixed.
tracebeats 2:17 AM - 18 January, 2017
I have the same exact problem. Power switch light turns on but logo light does not and absolutely no sound. I have had this problem with 7 speakers. Literally 7. Sent them all in under warranty and they fixed them, but now my warranty 3 years is over. Anyone have any idea??? I opened it and checked the fuse, it's not blown. No disconnected wires either.
djgm 1:49 PM - 15 March, 2017
Tracebeats, did you ever figure anything out? I've been dealing with the same problems. Sent in before and they replaced, made sure I wasn't pushing my volumes too hard so not sure what caused the speakers to stop working.
Excess Audio 2:25 AM - 24 April, 2017
I have 4 ELX-112P and one lights up but has no output from any input. I've learned there are 3 small amp boards- betting one for HF and two for LF. I've heard there is a circuit that checks the amps and if one is bad, it disables the other amps. I'm in the process of how to diagnose which amp cards are good or bad. There is an eBay seller in UK that has replacement Hypex amp boards for around $90 delivered to USA.
mike jarosz 3:20 PM - 14 June, 2017
Excess Audio did you figure out how to diagnose which board is the issue? I have the same exact problem with my 112p.
Excess Audio 4:05 PM - 14 June, 2017
I was told there was a small resistor that acted as a fuse on each amp board. Mine all had the same reading. Pro Digital Inc in PA has a repair service ad listed on eBay for $139 plus S&H to and from their shop. I believe this covers all parts and labor. Figure I'll just do that and save some hassle.
mike jarosz 6:08 PM - 14 June, 2017
It does cover all parts and labor. I packed it up and mailed it out today actually. I have use them in the past, they do good work.
ruben ortiz 7:51 PM - 8 August, 2017
alright guys, I also had the "power on but ev logo not on" issue.... I have two elx112p.... so I live in a rural area and getting speakers fixed is out of the question... I decided to tackle the issue.... so what i did is open up both good speaker and bad speaker... after that I swapped out the hypex amp modules, there should be 3 per speaker... one by one until the bad unit turned on... process of elimination. I determined one of the boards was the cause of the issue..... then I went on to look for the hypex electronics ucd180lpv8 amp module... turns out i couldn't find it anywhere.... so i went on to look at the schematics of the module( found on the hypex website) ... i found out pin 8 is a error detection... so i said F it let me see what happens if i dont plug that pin in.... so I just simply bent it sideways out of the way and it worked.. the ev light came on... I have played at 8 gigs so far and have not had any issues at all... if you guy shave any issues let me know.. Ill help you step by step
Jesus Sierra 6:12 PM - 5 September, 2017
@Ruben Ortiz .... I have the ELX115p with the same problem listed here, I like to know if you fix the bad amp module or just swamp betwen units to make them work? or simple jump the pin and they work?? Thank's a lot!!
Henry Bernard 4:58 PM - 15 November, 2017
@Ruben Also having this issue on a 112p. Not getting any low frequency Audio as well. Going to try a few things when I get home tonight to determine which board is not working.

Once I get past that step, theoretically "Blocking" the 8th pin should resolve the problem unless there is something seriously wrong with the board. Might try to check the board for other damage first. Wish me luck. Will post results.
Huib Meuwissen 7:55 PM - 15 November, 2017
I also have a problem with my 112p. Also not getting low frequency audio and the tweeter is really soft. Can it be a amp as well or maybe my inputboard?
Is it possible to control your amp's

will post if i have a fix
deejayxlaw 1:20 PM - 18 November, 2017
the horn tweeter (HF) in my 112p is not working, I have checked the tweeter alone and it is working, when I test the tweeter contact on the amplifier, it doesn't bring out any sound to show that the amplifier is bad. The LF contact is working perfectly on the amplifier... is there any pointer you can give me
MusicMediaMan 4:03 PM - 8 December, 2017
I've had the same problem with my powered EV speakers and it's been going on for years and multiple versions of the powered 12's. No warranty left. I have to send them back to EV which is expensive. I own 4 and have replaced them all more than once now. I justified it because repair was cheaper than replacing, but I'm not doing it again. I called EV and reported the problem as a design flaw. Phone +1-800-289-0096
E-mail TECHNICAL.SUPPORT@US.BOSCH.COM. They called back and got my repair history. The person on the phone said they didn't know of an issue because it wasn't being flagged on the repair side as a recurring issue from multiple customers. That was August of 2017. I've not head back from them since that time, but as much as I love these speakers I'm done with EV. I'd rather own lower quality that is more reliable. I will check into bypassing pin8 and run these till they die, then I'll get something else.
Audun 3:58 PM - 11 January, 2018
I do also have this problem with 4 speakers (112p). I wanna try the trick with pin 8. But where do I find it? Does someone have a link to the schematic, so I can find it?
ECP Studio 8:25 AM - 21 January, 2018
So I have 2 of the ELX118P Subs that have a power light on the switch but no front light and no sound also. Checked the speakers and they are good. So the problem is in the amp. Looking for a fix also. Do not know if the amps are similar with what are being said in these discussions. I see replacement amps are available online but hope to just get what I have working instead of buying replacements and have the same problem happen again.
Gmedina 9:29 AM - 17 June, 2018
Any update? Found this board after my ELX118P stopped working this week. Same symptoms. Power switch turns on but no logo and no sound.
Gmedina 5:30 AM - 22 June, 2018
So I figured out my problem. I replaced 3 capacitors on the power supply. 35V 220uf. Not sure which one exact was causing the issue, but all 3 looked like they were bulging so I went ahead and swapped them out.
kurtla22 12:21 AM - 12 August, 2018
bought 2 live x 15 and 2 18 bass in 2014 ,,,,only use maybe 20 times in 4 years at 1/4 volume max in my bedroom . since 2016 the 2 live x 15 will take 20 to 60 minute before they start playing ,,,,, 1 of my 18 sub just quit playing …. for what they suppose to be used for and what I m using them for ,,, these are nothing but junk … never again will I buy powered speakers .
monarchMD 2:42 AM - 18 September, 2018
Want to revive this topic. I have 2 of these (elx 112p) speakers and they're experiencing similar issues. Light on the power switch but no illumination of the logo or sound output. I suspect it's the caps in the power supply that Gmedina replaced. Would this cause the DC error on one of the amp modules? I would assume that the DC error pin is important and just bypassing the pin could possibly allow a problem that is serious enough to make pin 8 pull low continue and cause further damage to the entire unit.

Electrolytics leak even while they're not being used, even while they're sitting new in a parts bin, so it isn't surprising that a few electrolytics fail from time to time.

Anyway, just looking for some insight on troubleshooting these two units...
17tr2 12:14 PM - 18 September, 2018
If you have DC getting to the drivers in your speakers, they're probably ruined. I would have a repair shop look at them.

If you're able, you can pull the drivers out and try them just to see if they still work. It may save you some money on diag charges.
monarchMD 1:59 PM - 18 September, 2018
Quote:
If you have DC getting to the drivers in your speakers, they're probably ruined. I would have a repair shop look at them.

If you're able, you can pull the drivers out and try them just to see if they still work. It may save you some money on diag charges.

Well, I assume the fault has protected the speakers, which is why I was curious for a follow up from the post that said he bypassed pin 8. I'd hate to bypass that pin and have DC get thru. Or does the pin falsely pull low causing all the input modules to stop working. I haven't put another amp to the speaker terminals yet, but that's the next step.
dj_soo 3:45 AM - 19 September, 2018
Quote:
bought 2 live x 15 and 2 18 bass in 2014 ,,,,only use maybe 20 times in 4 years at 1/4 volume max in my bedroom . since 2016 the 2 live x 15 will take 20 to 60 minute before they start playing ,,,,, 1 of my 18 sub just quit playing …. for what they suppose to be used for and what I m using them for ,,, these are nothing but junk … never again will I buy powered speakers .

EV speakers have a 5 year warranty. Why haven't you contacted customer support?
monarchMD 12:53 PM - 19 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

EV speakers have a 5 year warranty. Why haven't you contacted customer support?

That may be a good option for kurtla22, but mine are 7 years old. Replacing the full amp assembly on each speaker would be $250 a pop, and I'm not replacing an amp module that has this much history of failure with a new one that hasn't been improved upon. Big power caps, I'll replace those, but if it's more than $50 in parts per box, I'm not gonna bother and just get new speakers from Mackie.
dj_soo 11:29 PM - 19 September, 2018
I'd say Mackie is much worse rep-wise for reliability. Maybe look at qsc or Yamaha.
ERS 9:07 PM - 29 September, 2018
I have received a Electro Voice ELX115p amplifier repair and there was trouble with the “logo blinking and no sound” however the switch lit up, if you open the amp up look right above the input power (IEC-connector) the jumper fell off I replace the jumper and he was good to go - just thought maybe you have the same issue
kurtla22 1:46 PM - 8 October, 2018
Same thing here,,, 2 elx115p will take an hiur before they start playing,,, and 1elx118 will not play at all,,
kurtla22 1:50 PM - 8 October, 2018
3 years is the warranty for powered,, that's what ev just told me,, they say send tbem the receipt they will see what can be done,,,, let s see what they tell me
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 6:25 PM - 8 October, 2018
I'm still rocking some ancient jbl TR225's with a Crown CE 2000 Amp. The units are kept in a baking hot shed year round. I have had them for 15 years, no problems to date and I just gigged out yesterday with them.

JBL > EV
Danharrylive 8:13 PM - 15 December, 2018
My 112p works fine except for input 1. NOTHING OUT OF INPUT 1. My other ev works perfect top to bottom but the other acted weird upon receiving. I tried plugging in A line and put from my consul and it wouldn’t take the cable at first it was like something was jammed into the input. Wouldn’t let me plug it in. Tried a trs cable next and this time the cable went in fine but no sound. Input two worked fine. Still without input 1 to this day. Any ideas
Moorhouse7 1:22 AM - 28 January, 2019
I have had this problem today for the first time. I've had the ev elx115p for about 5 years. I gig at least 3 times a week so they get a lot of use. Never had a problem before but tonight had the power light on and the EV logo not on issue with no sound.

Luckly I could get away with one speaker but I got home and tried the speaker again and its now working all lights on and sound coming through. I'm just wondering what you guys thought. How could this be if there was a faulty wire or The pin problem.
I'm obviously worried now as I can't afford to have a speaker that may let me down. I will ring EV tomorrow and explain. just wanted to share on here as I have the same problem but with it working again. Very Strange.
OH BABY ENT. 6:57 AM - 27 June, 2019
MY EV LOGO WONT COME ON BUT I'M GETTING SOUND ANY ADVICE THANKS IN ADVANCE
Moorhouse7 9:32 AM - 27 June, 2019
No idea. My logo light didn’t come on and no sound. Got home from the gig and tried it and it worked. Had it looked at by the professionals and they found nothing. I bought another speaker just incase but it works fine now.