Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
wadup 4:45 PM - 4 August, 2014
Nice.....definitely digging the AMX
the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:16 PM - 4 August, 2014
Ok I see what you did there, nice!!
nik39 5:17 PM - 4 August, 2014
Waaaaaant!!! :)
thebulge 5:59 PM - 4 August, 2014
And an Innofader in the AMX. someone make a mount kit that makes it sit over a beat up pio club mixer. Proper cool system. Can't wait to hear more.
Menace 6:08 PM - 4 August, 2014
Is there a switch on the AMX for Timecode CD's or Timecode Vinyls or will just Timecode Vinyls work with it?
dj zaza 6:17 PM - 4 August, 2014
Will be to assess the quality of audio, and headphone output which usually with the only usb power is low. I also hope that the media are created to take it to the height of the TT. We hope that the performance dvs have a low latency. could be a cheaper alternative to Serato box.
DJCANDYBOY 6:56 PM - 4 August, 2014
nice toy
Serato, Support
Martin C 7:01 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
Is there a switch on the AMX for Timecode CD's or Timecode Vinyls or will just Timecode Vinyls work with it?

There is a switch on the AMX to choose between line and phono inputs if you are using DVS. However as mentioned above, you need to purchase the DVS Expansion Pack to take advantage of these inputs: serato.com

Without the DVS Expansion Pack however, the AMX is still a standalone DJ controller.
dj zaza 7:22 PM - 4 August, 2014
Hello Martin, very good news for Serato. shame that I sold my Vci 400. I was going to update my box with Sl1 Sl2. but if this is valid could be an alternative. I hope you can also create numark mixer in battle for Serato.
dj radar 454 7:38 PM - 4 August, 2014
hope it works with the ddj sx
Serato, Support
Martin C 7:52 PM - 4 August, 2014
You can use the AFX alongside the Pioneer DDJ-SX, but not the AMX.
dj radar 454 8:18 PM - 4 August, 2014
GREAT
AKIEM 8:38 PM - 4 August, 2014
Im not sure why I would want to contact Numark about these.
john_SA 9:44 PM - 4 August, 2014
$$$$?
Matterson 9:57 PM - 4 August, 2014
Can you scroll and load your tracks using the AFX?
deadferrets 10:31 PM - 4 August, 2014
Question - it says "4 decks of control over a single USB connection" - how would this be set up - would you be able to use 2xAMX and 2xAFX for a complete set up?
I.e - using the AMX (or multiple AMXs) how many channels can you have?
Dokumentary 12:46 AM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
Question - it says "4 decks of control over a single USB connection" - how would this be set up - would you be able to use 2xAMX and 2xAFX for a complete set up?
I.e - using the AMX (or multiple AMXs) how many channels can you have?

Oh yeah, I mean I understand 4 decks over 1 USB. That's not a problem. It just means the souncard in the AMX has enough channels for 4 decks.

I'm assuming the AFXs can be linked together (mini USB maybe) so that up to four can be used and only take up 1 USB on ur laptop. Even Dicers can do that and they're less than half the price of the AFX.
Da_Kydd 2:17 AM - 5 August, 2014
You can use one AFX for 4 decks...you toggle with the deck selection buttons at the top along with he SHIFT button.....so you can use one for each...just a matter of switching to the deck that you will want to use.
zungy 4:05 AM - 5 August, 2014
AMX & Launchpad!!!!!
Dokumentary 9:16 AM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
You can use one AFX for 4 decks...you toggle with the deck selection buttons at the top along with he SHIFT button.....so you can use one for each...just a matter of switching to the deck that you will want to use.

Yep. You are correct Sir!
DJ Trice 10:00 AM - 5 August, 2014
want it too !!!
DJ Sinclair 11:07 AM - 5 August, 2014
Is it just me, or is there a distinct lack of a traditional pitch control... I read that "Endless Controller doubles as pitch bend and macro effects control", I just wonder how effective it is as a stand alone controller?
Snert 3:17 PM - 5 August, 2014
That AMX is so cool! I need it! When do we get a release date?
VDJ LDB 5:12 PM - 5 August, 2014
may have to dust off the turntables now......
Code:E 5:38 PM - 5 August, 2014
is there any reason I cant run 2 AFX's one on each side for each pair of decks?
DJMIYAGI 6:28 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
is there any reason I cant run 2 AFX's one on each side for each pair of decks?

If you assign them to the appropriate decks yes. 1 of them can control 4 decks so it would work with 2 also. Just a matter of preference.
The Oldboy 7:57 PM - 5 August, 2014
I'm guessing you can use the AFX alongside and SL3 / TT / Mixer setup?
Code:E 5:09 AM - 6 August, 2014
I want to try it out along side 2 cdj 2000s in HID mode.
Asu 7:59 PM - 6 August, 2014
Thanks serato...you keep making our lives easier / compact setup options +1 on the AMX and AFX...def getting the two...affordability is amazing
Serato, Support
Karl Y 11:07 AM - 7 August, 2014
Yes,

CDJ 2000, AFX, AMX, AFX, CDJ 2000

would work as a setup. CDJs in HID mode, so no DVS expansion pack needed :)

Basically any combination of a single one primary hardware and any accessories works. In this case the AMX is the primary hardware.

serato.com

:)
dj xcel 23 1:57 AM - 8 August, 2014
only thing the amx needed was a second usb port and xlr outputs.... and it would have been extremely unstoppable.
AKIEM 2:52 AM - 8 August, 2014
Even 1/4 balanced would have been good.
dj xcel 23 2:54 AM - 8 August, 2014
That is just leaving it open for a next model to come out.. So they can get more money out of people..
djtbs1 4:35 PM - 11 August, 2014
What I haven't seen anywhere (including at AKAI) are the dimensions of the unit.
I have two setups- a mobile set, and my "recording" setup.

I have a Vestax PMC06ProA and would love to drop this in as replacement- but size is a consideration in my mobile environment, as can be seen in the video...
Watchwww.youtube.com

I guess a $100 wouldn't be to big a price to pay (DVS plugin) to not have to move my SL2 box and get rid of the additional wires required for SL2....

anyone can confirm the size of this thing?

Thx,
djtbs1
Asu 6:08 PM - 11 August, 2014
Quote:
That is just leaving it open for a next model to come out.. So they can get more money out of people..

There's no pleasing humans...how about you pass,if it's not for you instead of whining??? thing is damn cheap,if you need more features ,get a Rane 64....then again, that maybe over priced for you
Asu 6:12 PM - 11 August, 2014
Quote:
anyone can confirm the size of this thing?

L x W is about the same as the Vestax from the look of it...however,the AMX is about half the height
Shagz 3:42 AM - 14 August, 2014
Quote:
Is it just me, or is there a distinct lack of a traditional pitch control... I read that "Endless Controller doubles as pitch bend and macro effects control", I just wonder how effective it is as a stand alone controller?

Yea, I was wondering the same thing...I see the pitch dial, but I don't see any buttons for nudging? I suppose the argument would be "use the Synch button." :P Still, if you're going to support pitch, wouldn't you need nudge as well?
RiddimE 1:01 PM - 18 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yea, I was wondering the same thing...I see the pitch dial, but I don't see any buttons for nudging? I suppose the argument would be "use the Synch button." :P Still, if you're going to support pitch, wouldn't you need nudge as well?

Check video at about 5 minutes in.

Watchwww.youtube.com
dj easy jay 10:23 PM - 18 August, 2014
I was def considering it. But no Mic input.. Where's the mic input
dj easy jay 10:30 PM - 18 August, 2014
Will def snatch up the afx.. But if the amx has no mic input that's a buzz kill.
dj easy jay 10:32 PM - 18 August, 2014
Question will it work with sera to video?
trayE 9:51 PM - 19 August, 2014
Quote:
dimension

Dimensions: 1.7 inches tall (42mm), 10.7 long (271mm), 5.3 wide (134mm)
Shagz 2:47 PM - 15 September, 2014
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Thanks for the vid!

That's a little wonky - nudge not available on the AMX but added in with the AFX. So you'd have to get both units for complete transport control?

If I bought anything, I'd probably get both, but still, if someone just wanted the AMX, it appears like they'd be missing nudge.
adam8753 2:01 PM - 16 September, 2014
Any word on a release date?
xRAINESUPREMEx 3:51 AM - 26 September, 2014
Can anyone tell me if the fx (ie echo) will be post fader using this combo?
Serato, Support
Karl Y 7:11 AM - 26 September, 2014
Yes, they are :)
dj easy jay 8:14 PM - 27 September, 2014
Is the fader midi? will it mix videos & why no mic input
dibb 11:31 AM - 28 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Thanks for the vid!

That's a little wonky - nudge not available on the AMX but added in with the AFX. So you'd have to get both units for complete transport control?

If I bought anything, I'd probably get both, but still, if someone just wanted the AMX, it appears like they'd be missing nudge.

This was bothering me as well, but from the AMX User Manual from the Akaipro website it appears you can nudge on the AMX by pressing one of the search buttons and turn the browse knob simultaneously:

"Search / DVS: While the track is paused, press and hold this button and turn the Browse Knob to move through the track on the corresponding deck.
During playback, press and hold this button and turn the Browse Knob to temporarily bend the pitch of the track on the corresponding deck. This does not apply when the deck's vinyl control is in Absolute Mode (ABS)."
dj easy jay 10:00 PM - 28 September, 2014
bottom line no mic input. How are we suppose make announcements shout outs or special upcoming events during our performance. although it is a nice unit without a mic input this is pretty much just a bedroom mixer
Drug_Muzik 6:34 AM - 4 October, 2014
can i use the afx with my novation twitch?
Serato, Support
Karl Y 2:53 PM - 4 October, 2014
Yes
djsmileyinthemix 4:23 PM - 6 October, 2014
Will the AMX work with video mixing?
Serato, Support
Karl Y 9:32 AM - 7 October, 2014
yes
djsmileyinthemix 12:44 PM - 7 October, 2014
Ok thanks and how soon can we buy it
dj easy jay 4:26 PM - 7 October, 2014
@ Karl Y. You seem to have all the answer is here any reason why they didn't incude a mic input
dj easy jay 4:33 PM - 7 October, 2014
@ Karl Y I believe I asked that question about will it work with videos on august 18th. Well that's good to here. You seem to have all the answers. Is there any reason why they did not include a mic input. most of the sl boxes have it. Why not this mixer?
dj easy jay 11:00 PM - 7 October, 2014
Oooh.. I just realized Karl y locked a forum I started on wether I should sell my techs or not. Because another individual. saw it fit to judge me and accuse me of trying to sell my techs on this sight... Thats why I am not getting any replies. Well I decided not to sell em as you can see by my profile picture. I bought a use sl3 on craigslist and paired em with my pmc 06 mixer so tell that to your buddy Bob. Its all good brother no harm no foul. Cheers
Dj Bob-E 8:16 PM - 8 October, 2014
Is there a Mic input?
Serato, Support
Karl Y 7:44 AM - 9 October, 2014
Hi dj easy jay and Dj Bob-E,

there is no mic input on the Akai AMX.

As to why, I can only guess as thats a decision made by the hardware manufacturer (Akai Pro)
I assume that not too many people would need one, but it would add significantly to the price tag of the unit.

Dj easy jay - the other thread was closed mainly because of the insults going on in there.
We want this forum to be a nice place with good information where everyone can feel welcome.

serato.com <- (click) community rules. :)

Cheers
Karl
Nick Edwards 8:05 PM - 9 October, 2014
this may be a noob thing to ask , but:-

i have pioneer cdj 400's will they work with the AMX with time code cds

i also have a numark ns6 which i use with serato DJ instead of itch which it was supplied with.

if the AMX works with cdjs and timecode cds it would be the best of both worlds
MPC O.G. 8:07 PM - 9 October, 2014
What is the speed on the USB port? I've heard it was a 1.1. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
dj easy jay 10:56 PM - 9 October, 2014
@ Karl Y. Ok No Problem My Apologies. But back to the AMX if it was a manufacturers choice I think it wasn't a good choice being that we are already spend so much money for some of these other controllers. If I mIc input would of made the price go up I still believe the sales would have been greater then now. being that a lot of us own Technics and or CDJS. and even now with the release of reloop neons and other serato dj control pads a lot of us are dusting off our tables. So for me although it is nice no mic input is def a buzz kill Thnx much
AKIEM 11:50 PM - 9 October, 2014
I've always considered the mic input on pro mixers unneeded because typically in a pro situation mics would run separate. Less than pro situatiins need mic inputs because there more often is not another mixer - catch 22.
dj easy jay 1:26 AM - 10 October, 2014
AKIEM True. But @ the same time if your a mobile dj doing an event such as sweet sixteen wedding, or a social gathering. witch typically when your interacting with the crowd it would be something we would need. It is a nice unit but I believe mic input would have boosted more sales even if the price would have been bit higher.
AKIEM 1:52 AM - 10 October, 2014
Yup, I agree.
9:13 AM - 15 October, 2014
i want one but but how would you put your booth monitor lead in as well as your main output ?

is there a work around this?

and can I go between playing vinyl and time coded vinyl easily?
Deejay Righteous 1:28 AM - 18 October, 2014
can u connect this to a mixer? Like a dj tech? Or do u have to use this mixer.
DJ Ze MigL 12:18 AM - 24 October, 2014
How does the AMX work for 3 deck mixing with dvs? how can I setup Serato with 2 soundcards (AMX 1 and 2nd unit)... how do I assign unit 1 to decks A B and Unit 2 to decks C D?
I believe not having prepared for this possibility is really short sighted IMHO. This is, or not, the deal breaker.
NI did the same mistake with Z1 ... :(
Code:E 10:26 PM - 24 October, 2014
Quote:
how can I setup Serato with 2 soundcards (AMX 1 and 2nd unit)...

You can't. It doesnt work like that.

Quote:
believe not having prepared for this possibility is really short sighted IMHO.

Thats good. It's never been a feature of serato ever. Dont expect a change as I have never heard anyone else request sucha feature. But feel free to start a help request and if enough people say they want it serato may add it. They have added features in the past that way, though i highly doubt you will get any traction. What your trying todo is a hodge podge kind of way fo doing thjings and serato doesnt do that sort of thing. Its the right way (3 deck = SL3 or SL4) or no way at all.
Quote:
NI did the same mistake with Z1 ... :(

Its not a mistake, it's a massive problem that computers in general have. 2 sound cards running in the same software is nothing any software does well and most dont do at all.
DJ Ze MigL 10:57 PM - 24 October, 2014
Hi Code:E,

Thanks for the feedback I have been around DVS since the first Final Scratch which ran on a Linux partition.
On a Mac you can easily aggregate sound cards, not sure if it does introduce any latency. but thinking of the CDJ2000 example I would say it's irrelevant.
What generally happens though is that the software uses the sound card as a sort pf dongle for opening (or not) the DVS possibility. so if it "sees" an aggregated it won't open the DVS feat.
Thinking about it it could be easily implemented... I mean if every AMX gets distinctive ID then Serato would know they are in the system and would allow for 4 channels out... so an aggregated device much like the CDJs would do the trick...

Maybe this is far more complicated to implement in the code, but in seems simple to do...

For a while the 3 ch mixer was the norm even for the cheeper and home djing style of mixers...

On this matter of multiple soundcards you have ABleton Live which can sport a diferent sound card for the ins and the outs if you so which... not 100% sure but I think that reaper allows for this too... to have more that one the I/O again you'd need to aggregate.

OK, lets forget DVS, can I use 2x AMX for 3 or 4 deck mixing? or woud I need to make a personal mapping of each...
Again the Z1 is seen by traktor, but if you connect a 2nd unit it's like a ghost unit... nothing goes ... at least as far as HID goes...

I own Traktor A10 and went all no decks some 4 or five years ago... after a year I totally missed taking risks and the physical element so I ended up again in DVS via 12"... I don't go to deep into sampling/ loops/ effects.. so I've always found the serato platform much more straight forward, but I ain't so versed in it and I don't have yet access to an AMX...!

Again thanks for the help...
Z
deejdave 1:51 AM - 25 October, 2014
Finally got the AMX/AFX................ they're ehhhh thus far. Not really appealing to me TBH. Don't know why either. I expected a little more of a thrill. So far the best part is it fits right on the head of my bed LOL. Not sure the Mics would be necessary. In mobile DJing stage presence is pretty important and these are not something I would be comfortable using while charging people hourly close to what they cost LOL.

I'll be playing with them for a few more hours though and I am hoping for a little more thrill.

So far I am wondering why the auto loop roll on the filter/loop roll combo (when in touch knob mode) only offers from 1/16 to 1/2 as well some other features missing altogether...............
Usta_B_aDJ 2:23 PM - 12 November, 2014
Quote:
Finally got the AMX/AFX................ they're ehhhh thus far. Not really appealing to me TBH. Don't know why either. I expected a little more of a thrill. So far the best part is it fits right on the head of my bed LOL. Not sure the Mics would be necessary. In mobile DJing stage presence is pretty important and these are not something I would be comfortable using while charging people hourly close to what they cost LOL.

I'll be playing with them for a few more hours though and I am hoping for a little more thrill.

So far I am wondering why the auto loop roll on the filter/loop roll combo (when in touch knob mode) only offers from 1/16 to 1/2 as well some other features missing altogether...............

Hiya Deejdave :)

What features are missing ?

The thing is myself and others have received the AFX without any activation codes for Backpack FX ... We have been contacting Serato and Akai regarding this and it's in process at the moment.

I just want to know if you had the activation for Backpack in your box ?
deejdave 4:14 PM - 12 November, 2014
Was the second user to respond in that thread lol.
Usta_B_aDJ 4:32 PM - 12 November, 2014
Here's a link to the Missing Backpack fx For anyone who might be affected :)

serato.com
Usta_B_aDJ 4:35 PM - 12 November, 2014
Quote:
Was the second user to respond in that thread lol.

Sorry i missed that :) .... You already had the expansion packs i see .... No probs :)
deejdave 4:47 PM - 12 November, 2014
No worries. Yeah I feel like I should take advantage anyways as I am entitled to it and I like to spread the wealth. I gave away two Serato Video licenses and would do the same here so it's not like it goes to waste.
Usta_B_aDJ 4:54 PM - 12 November, 2014
Quote:
No worries. Yeah I feel like I should take advantage anyways as I am entitled to it and I like to spread the wealth. I gave away two Serato Video licenses and would do the same here so it's not like it goes to waste.

Right on Brother .... I'm all for spreading the wealth too ;)

I would say you are entitled to it... And your input on this issue has been welcomed :)
Usta_B_aDJ 5:20 PM - 17 November, 2014
Problem Solved regarding the missing Backpack FX for the Akai AFX

serato.com

Simply re-register your Akai FX controller by logging into your Akai Pro account - www.akaipro.com. After re-registering your Akai AFX controller, you'll see a voucher code that you can copy and paste into ENTER VOUCHER CODE under My Account in Serato DJ. After entering this code, you'll now be able to activate your expansion pack in Serato DJ.

Hope that Helps :)

Peace
trayE 7:16 PM - 17 November, 2014
I ordered the AMX, it should arrive any day now.

So If I buy the DVS plugin, can I use it on more than one computer? I meant without the activate-deactivate option. Can I just log on another computer with my user and pass and use it there?
deejdave 7:19 PM - 17 November, 2014
No. The DVS expansion works like ALL SDJ expansions. You must long into your online account (with software open) then activate on the lapsop/s you plan to use it with. Furthermore you get two like you said to use it with.
trayE 7:21 PM - 17 November, 2014
Hmm, I read somewhere here that you must deactivate it on one computer in order to use it on another.
deejdave 7:24 PM - 17 November, 2014
False. This is if you want to use on more than two laptops in which case this is true. I am speaking from experience. I literally have it (as well as ALL other SDJ expansion packs) installed on two laptops as we speak.
trayE 7:33 PM - 17 November, 2014
Cool, thanks deejdave!

What about using only one DVS plugin with multiple controllers?
deejdave 7:41 PM - 17 November, 2014
Not a problem. Switch away. It is the software itself which gets the activation and not the hardware. The ONLY requirement there is said multiple controllers must ALL be either DVS upgrade ready OR DVS enabled devices. The latter (DVS Enabled) being able to be used with or without the expansion pack obviously. BOTH are listed on the right hand side of this page serato.com but Serato DVS Expansion Pack currently supports Akai Pro AMX, Denon DJ MC6000MK2, Numark N4 and Pioneer DDJ-SX2.
trayE 7:42 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
The ONLY requirement there is said multiple controllers must ALL be either DVS upgrade ready OR DVS enabled devices. The latter (DVS Enabled) being able to be used with or without the expansion pack obviously. BOTH are listed on the right hand side of this page serato.com but Serato DVS Expansion Pack currently supports Akai Pro AMX, Denon DJ MC6000MK2, Numark N4 and Pioneer DDJ-SX2.

Yes, I'm aware of that. Tnx :-)
v@l 12:08 PM - 19 November, 2014
Can The line faders can be upgraded to mini innofader to hope so..
Dj Jay Fresh 2:45 AM - 28 November, 2014
Will it work with pioneer ddj sb
deejdave 2:52 AM - 28 November, 2014
Will the AMX/AFX work with the DDJ-SB? The AMX no the AFX yes..................... seems a bit overkill though.
Demonstr8 12:59 AM - 2 December, 2014
Im going to pull the trigger on a controller like this, can't decide between the Pioneer SP-1 or the Akai AFX.

I like the AFX because its small, but I like the SP-1 because it has more pads, like it has two "decks" one one controller.

Leaning towards the AFX. What are some PROS/CONS between the two?

Somebody please offer their expertise, thanks!
deejdave 1:20 AM - 2 December, 2014
as you said the two sets of performance pads is a REAL asset. As a matter of fact I have used my SP1 with my SZ/SX and had real time four deck control of all four platters and all four performance pads/loops/fx sections.

One of my favorite setups is my SZ, two CDJ-2000Nexus's, DDJ-SP1 & Serato Remote. Talk about total control.

The AFX is a real killer too though NOT to be underestimated. The color pads are awesome.
Demonstr8 1:55 AM - 2 December, 2014
I hear you, thats a lot of control right there!

The main goal I'm trying to reach is additional and deeper control of effects on top of what my sixty-two offers. I am also looking to get away from touching my computer so much. I like that I can search the track with the AFX. My computer sits off to the side of my turntables, sometimes its a long reach.

Can you tell me if I can activate my saved/emergency loops with the AFX? right now thats another reason why I have to reach over and use the mouse, to turn the saved loop "on".
Demonstr8 11:04 PM - 2 December, 2014
Hey guys, i went ahead and made up my mind and went with the Akai AFX. Mostly because of its small size. I think it will deliver what i need and will compliment my sixty-two very well.

Side note:

I was looking around the web to see if anyone had any deals on the AFX and it was $199.00 everywhere. So i ordered it through amazon because i'm a "prime" member and wanted to take advantage of the two day shipping. Not only did i get the two day shipping, but i was also surprised with a $31 discount when i checked out! So I ended up getting the AFX for $168, about 16% savings!

Not sure if it was a "cyber monday" deal or not, but it's worth looking into. Just thought i'd let everyone know and share the savings.
trayE 4:48 PM - 3 December, 2014
Quote:
False. This is if you want to use on more than two laptops in which case this is true. I am speaking from experience. I literally have it (as well as ALL other SDJ expansion packs) installed on two laptops as we speak.

I have two OS installed on my laptop. One on my SSD and another on my HDD. If I activate the DVS plugin on both of them, does that count as two laptops? :-)
deejdave 10:04 PM - 3 December, 2014
I would assume so. Sorry.
JDforKing 4:39 AM - 15 December, 2014
Quote:
Can anyone tell me if the fx (ie echo) will be post fader using this combo?

Is the amx post fader using serato remote?
JDforKing 4:40 AM - 15 December, 2014
post fader effects
trayE 12:11 PM - 15 December, 2014
Yes, the effects are post fader.
dj_crazz 1:54 AM - 24 December, 2014
Just to clarify, are the faders MIDI mappable? My goal is to use this with Serato Video.
deejdave 3:30 AM - 24 December, 2014
I know they can be mapped with other software. Being they are native to SDJ though I am not sure if this will still work. I know SDJ like the back of my hand but I do not dabble in video much.
trayE 4:09 AM - 24 December, 2014
Quote:
Just to clarify, are the faders MIDI mappable? My goal is to use this with Serato Video.

The faders all work in video mode. No need to remap, and even if you want to remap any function you can't. Just as in any other natively supported device.
dj_crazz 4:24 AM - 24 December, 2014
That works for me, thanks!
spike grimsey 9:05 AM - 29 March, 2015
help please !!!
pioneer cdj400s with amx and afx ??
do i need control cds

thanks
deejdave 3:20 PM - 29 March, 2015
For SDJ yes. Either control CD's or control tone saved onto a USB flash drive. Either way you are using DVS and NOT HID as it (CDJ-400) is not supported by SDJ.
spike grimsey 3:27 PM - 29 March, 2015
Thanks Dave
Any guidance on how it shoukd all be set up ??
Sorry new to the digital cross over world !
WarpNote 6:13 PM - 29 March, 2015
@spike, plug cd players into the amx iputs, leave imput selector at the top of the unit in line position, not phono. Thats about it really. You do need the DVS expansion installed.
deejay malicious 3:28 AM - 16 April, 2015
I didn't read all the fourm comments.. Because it's super long.. I just got my amx and afx today.. Got everything up and running fine.. My question is how do I record my sets? I don't see that feature like I use too.. Is it because I'd need to purchase dvs first?
deejdave 3:30 AM - 16 April, 2015
Yes you need DVS expansion to record with the AMX.
deejay malicious 3:31 AM - 16 April, 2015
I kinda figured so. Thanks!
R35 3:29 PM - 18 April, 2015
I have a SDJ license for my NUMARK N4. I just buy a AMX. When I pluggin my AMX to the new SDJ 1.7.4 a message said me the AMX failed. But if I purchase the DVS expansion pack, can I use SDJ simplily with just my AMX?
deejay malicious 3:37 PM - 18 April, 2015
I don't think so brotha. The amx is a controller.. It's made for cdjs and turntables.. I could be wrong. But I don't think it would work on top of your controller. . When I plugged in my amx.. As stand alone.. It works fine by itself.. Dvs just enables it so I can send the signals to the turntables. ....try unplugging the n4 and just running the amx. And if that error is still there.. Then what are you using computer wise.. Mac or pc? Because with pc.. You need to download the file on akais site
deejdave 3:49 PM - 18 April, 2015
Quote:
I have a SDJ license for my NUMARK N4. I just buy a AMX. When I pluggin my AMX to the new SDJ 1.7.4 a message said me the AMX failed. But if I purchase the DVS expansion pack, can I use SDJ simplily with just my AMX?

Yes. Serato DJ can be used with just the AMX even without the DVS expansion. The expansion is necessary if you wish to use DVS, Line Inputs, record, etc. functions with SDJ.

If you are trying to use the N4 and the AMX at the same time then that is a big no. Only one native SDJ device allowed at one time.
Code:E 9:50 PM - 18 April, 2015
Quote:
If you are trying to use the N4 and the AMX at the same time then that is a big no. Only one native SDJ device allowed at one time.

That's not the way it always was, I seen a guy back in the day use a twitch and DDJ-S1 at the same time so get could get the slicer features.
deejdave 11:37 PM - 18 April, 2015
There are various cases involving Rane 62/V7's as well as two Wego's at one time controlling all four decks.............................. the "Only one native SDJ device allowed at one time" comment is regarding support. You are at your own risk and there is no guarantee it will even work. Out of curiosity when you saw the DDJ-S1/Twitch combo
a.) was it on SDJ or Twitch?
b.) was either of them not supported yet?
c.) was this on PC?
deejay malicious 11:43 PM - 18 April, 2015
You can also use the denon dn-hc1000s with your controller. It worked fine with mine and with the latest version of serato dj. But Ya you can't use the amx... .. Maybe the afx.. Since it's an effects pad/cue pad.. But not the amx.
deejdave 11:50 PM - 18 April, 2015
Quote:
You can also use the denon dn-hc1000s with your controller.

Well now this is completely different isn't it because the HC100s is not a controller but a sub controller or Official accessory and does not include an interface.
Code:E 1:20 AM - 19 April, 2015
Quote:
a.) was it on SDJ or Twitch?

You mean itch. And I don't remember.
Quote:
b.) was either of them not supported yet?

Both where supported controllers. the DDJ S1 was very new, thiw was before the DDJ-SX came out
Quote:
c.) was this on PC?

Again I don't remember.
deejdave 2:47 AM - 19 April, 2015
If the S1 was new and it was before the SX came out it has to be Itch as the SX was released with Serato DJ. I actually didn't know much about Itch as I wasn't a fan of it. Good to know though. Have yet to hear of anyone with the above combo with SDJ but you never know?

The reason I asked about PC's is usually the unsupported anomalies I mentioned earlier happen are capable with PC only. I have to admit I am a fan of hearing when people get by with these "off the beaten path" setups.
R35 11:12 AM - 21 April, 2015
Mac or pc? Because with pc.. You need to download the file on akai site.
R35 11:14 AM - 21 April, 2015
Quote:
Mac or pc? Because with pc.. You need to download the file on akais site
R35 11:24 AM - 21 April, 2015
Hi Deejay Malicious. I download the file on Akai Site and I installed it. The AMX works well with the SDJ.
Thanks.
soul63 6:20 PM - 1 May, 2015
i have the afx and amx,thinking of getting the dvs.can i use any audio from line to input on amx.and can you use effects on the audio?
djru5h 2:14 AM - 9 May, 2015
I recently upgraded from the Vestax VCI-380 to the AMX/AFX with DVS Expansion.. The AMX works great out of the box but I am finding the fader a little hard to get used to.. I almost put an Innofader in my VCI-380 but I went with the CF-X2 instead as I caught a once-in-a-lifetime deal on it and i LOVE that fader! Is the Vestax CF-X2 crossfader compatible with the AMX? If so, that would really make my life simpler... Anyone have any knowledge of this?
djnastyboy 8:42 AM - 12 June, 2015
I just bought this Akai mixer and I thought it came with Serato DJ right out of the box. Let me explain. This was my first time entering into Serato DJ from Scratchlive because I have the 57 board. I assumed that when it says that the mixer comes with a full version of Serato DJ that vinyl emulation would be standard, which is the reason why I bought it. I had no idea or have ever heard of this so called DVS Expansion Pack until now and I had no idea it was for the vinyl emulation. WTF Serato? I am not pleased and I think I will be returning this mixer as soon as it comes in. I'm very disappointed. Serato was built on Vinyl emulation, and to me, it shouldn't be a damn expansion pack. If you wanted another $100 from me, you should have just tacked that on to the price of the mixer and had it be unlocked right out of the box., instead of trying to nickel and dime customers with this bullish*t expansion pack.
Code:E 5:16 PM - 13 June, 2015
So it sounds like you didnt do your own research and now you mad, (Why you mad bro?) so you blame serato, you blame the pricing structure because you don't understand it, you come onto the forum to bitch looking for other to agree with you.....
WarpNote 5:20 PM - 13 June, 2015
Quote:
If you wanted another $100 from me, you should have just tacked that on to the price of the mixer and had it be unlocked right out of the box.
Wouldn't you then have payed the about the same price?
Code:E 5:24 PM - 13 June, 2015
Alsom you where looking at the AMX as a modern TTM57? That's like selling you 2002 AMG sl65 for a 2015 Smart car. And wondering why it doesn't have all the same features cause the new car is newer.
deejdave 6:56 PM - 14 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
If you wanted another $100 from me, you should have just tacked that on to the price of the mixer and had it be unlocked right out of the box.
Wouldn't you then have payed the about the same price?

Actually the way it is now is would be better no? The $100 DVS upgrade can be used with ANY supported club kit or DVS upgrade ready device while if in cluded with the AMX it would ONLY apply to the AMX..................... Bottom line though this is public information readily available for anyone looking to purchase.
deejay malicious 3:31 AM - 30 June, 2015
While this is open.. I need more help.. It seems I'm having trouble with calibration.. And I been trying to call techs all day which is costing me alot. I need a tech to either call me or assist me asap. My right deck, deck B. Is getting about 45-78% on calibration. Also my amx and afx keep crashing when not plugged in a certain way.. And I don't know what thr right way is.. I need help.. Below I've posted a pic of my calibration reads
deejdave 3:36 AM - 30 June, 2015
deejay malicious 3:41 AM - 30 June, 2015
As if I haven't tried that already.. I been at this since lastnite.. And all of today between work breaks
deejdave 3:43 AM - 30 June, 2015
Can't see any pics you speak of but does it look like any of these?

support.serato.com
deejay malicious 3:49 AM - 30 June, 2015
How can I send pics? No it doesn't look like any of those and that's why worries me.. I used this page for calibration also. And I don't get the same steps it states should happen..
How To Calibrate Serato DJ

With music playing in the background through your system or booth output, put your needle on the record with the turntable stopped. If you are using CD players, the same rules apply. Have the CD deck paused or stopped while calibrating. Click and hold the estimate button until the slider stops moving. Moving the Noise Sensitivity slider to the left will make Serato DJ more sensitive to slow record movement, but also more sensitive to background noise.... Where it says click and hold estimate button until the slider stops moving.. .. For me it never moves until I let go.. When I do it shifts all the way to the other side.. And this is for both tables.. The working and weak signal one.
deejay malicious 3:52 AM - 30 June, 2015
To be honest the way the test is worded confuses me.. To play music in background.. Do I put serato dj on Internal mode? . I feel there is either a calibration issue or a connection issue.
deejay malicious 4:33 AM - 30 June, 2015
Based off this very old video.. This is what exactly is happening.. Where she states if the slider shifts all the way to the right. Then there is problem with noise in the turntables or mixer... I've checked my connections here's the video

Tutorial - Calibrating Your Decks: youtu.be
deejay malicious 4:37 AM - 30 June, 2015
But it still doesn't explain why my green rings are not even close to circular.. They are more at a slant and smushed
deejdave 9:46 PM - 30 June, 2015
When you play regular vinyl everything is fine on both channels? I know this one is lame but you have tried reversing the RCA cables right?
deejay malicious 9:50 PM - 30 June, 2015
I don't have regular vinyl just serato control tone. However I got things to work lastnite.. Question though.. Even if I'm hitting 100% but the slider isn't shifting during the press and hold estimate button.. Are things still ok? I know it sounds odd to ask because everything is working.. Just deck A now shifts the slider.. But b. Doesn't.. But both are perfect green circles and 100%
deejdave 12:59 AM - 1 July, 2015
I have had similar behavior with the estimate button. Sometimes I don't even calibrate (which is a big no-no). Generally once you get it working it will remain working. I would practice some tear down and setups though to be sure it remains in working order.
deejay malicious 4:56 AM - 5 July, 2015
Any one around to answer a question.. I had a tech sorta help me out.. He did team viewer and changed some of my settings... He took off my viewer or on screen swapping rel, abs, int.. I need it back up and can't find out how... Shits Suck in int.
dj_task 6:17 PM - 11 November, 2015
rane/serato should offer existing owners of serato hardware discount/free dvs expansion pack promo code for the AMX.
deejdave 1:34 AM - 12 November, 2015
How would this work? Do you simply plug in SL3 to activate or do you then tie your hardware to any one/two machines so they can't be used by others? Do you see any potential problems with this?
dj_task 4:33 AM - 12 November, 2015
Quote:
How would this work? Do you simply plug in SL3 to activate or do you then tie your hardware to any one/two machines so they can't be used by others? Do you see any potential problems with this?

i wouldn't hook up my SL3 to it..
just saying rane should offer the incentive to their loyal customers, who already own SL hardware, that have been supporting them since the beginning.
i picked up the AMX for its portability and the convenience, but to my surprise "DVS ready" meant you have to fork out another $99usd for the expansion pack.
just can't justify spending the money because i already own a DVS ready hardware, and am buying a second product supporting serato.. would really appreciate some love back from them.
deejdave 4:44 AM - 12 November, 2015
Quote:
i wouldn't hook up my SL3 to it..

I get what you are saying and I agree to a point. In the end though there is no real easy way to get this done. Think about this. Anyone who has EVER DJed at a club that has a SL3 (etc) or even just access to one via a friend or even going to the DJ store and plugging one in for a minute would be able to get this same discount and take money right out of the pockets of the people who put the work into this.
Quote:
i picked up the AMX for its portability and the convenience, but to my surprise "DVS ready" meant you have to fork out another $99usd for the expansion pack.

In all fairness that is not what it says on the box on the website here or at Akai. It says "Serato DVS Upgrade Ready" which is pretty specific, no?

If nothing else hold tight as they do run sales on their specific software products pretty often. Serato DJ Upgrade is on sale as we speak and the DVS pack can be purchased along with it for a discount every day. Trust I do get what you are getting at but I do firmly feel Serato is as straight up as they can be and do not try to hide things at all when it comes to stuff like this. I mean if it really said DVS ready anywhere don't you think peeps would be all over them?
WarpNote 1:38 PM - 12 November, 2015
Quote:
Any one around to answer a question.. I had a tech sorta help me out.. He did team viewer and changed some of my settings... He took off my viewer or on screen swapping rel, abs, int.. I need it back up and can't find out how... Shits Suck in int.

Turn DVS back on, my serato -> registered products.
Francoisdw 7:45 PM - 25 November, 2015
Thinking of how I can link the AMX & AFX comdo with my Novation Twitch .... mmmmm.

Will be adding a small YamahaG06 mixer with this portable setup so I can have a Mic channel and an Aux backup channel in case the sh*t hits the fan. will also boost the output of the AMX and Twitch. ;-)
Anthony Addix 9:16 PM - 27 November, 2015
Awesome lil monster. I pack it in my bag and take it out when needed. Sometimes club mixers are so beat up that i just take out the amx hook it up to a channel and off i go. Some people say that the audio output is low because of usb low power but most times at pro venues they are running off a $$$$$$ mix board and have $$$$$$$ of compressors limiters etc hooked up to it that it just never made me notice any low power. Well happy with it and more. ohh and if u remap some buttons u can get exactly what u you thought it was missing.
deejdave 12:22 AM - 28 November, 2015
Quote:
ohh and if u remap some buttons u can get exactly what u you thought it was missing.

KEY to this mixer and it's value has gone up even higher in my book.
soul63 12:32 AM - 28 November, 2015
£139 now in the uk as well..good price.
PJ. 10:30 AM - 3 December, 2015
got the max and works like a charm.
Will connecting the AFX unlock the 4 decks in you serato DJ software?
If so its a no brainer to choose between the AFX or say the Reloop neon or the
pioneer DDJ SP-1

Or does the primary controller need to be 4 decks compliant?
WarpNote 11:07 AM - 3 December, 2015
Primary always needs to 4 decks compilant. This has ALWAYS been the case, true for sp1, afx, neon or any custom mapping.
PJ. 11:23 AM - 3 December, 2015
thnx!
djsmileyinthemix 6:53 PM - 3 December, 2015
Are this updated to work with el capitan
PJ. 12:32 PM - 4 December, 2015
Yes no problem using the AFX with el captain.
Serato remote for iPad is a cheap solution if you need cue points loops effect ect.
reloop neon has the down side of not being able to acces both decks at the same time.

pioneer DDJ SP-1 does that so nice but 200,- is way to much.
any thoughts on a good midi controller that does both decks and does have rotary knobs for effects midi mapping?
deejdave 5:34 PM - 4 December, 2015
N.I. Kontrol X1 is one of the best SUB controllers I have ever used in terms of size Vs. capabilities.
PJ. 5:36 PM - 4 December, 2015
thnx, i bought the novation launch control. hooking up some handy vestax tax to complete the set up!
WarpNote 5:45 PM - 4 December, 2015
Quote:
N.I. Kontrol X1 is one of the best SUB controllers I have ever used in terms of size Vs. capabilities.

Mine is gathering dust atm, so much other toys, maybe time to bring it out...
deejdave 10:07 PM - 5 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Mine is gathering dust atm, so much other toys, maybe time to bring it out...

ohhhhhhhhhhh mine too :( Kinda sad with how much I used it. Don't get me wrong I don't think anything compares to the power of actual SDJ performance mode pads which is obviously only available on OSA's but yeah generic midi controller that you map yourself the X1 is badass!

One of my favorite things about is was the bug SSL had where you could still use the X1 even on offline player.
schoeny 8:15 PM - 28 May, 2016
hey mark, or anybody that can answer this. I want to you use my AMX w Serato dJ internal mode. everything works fine it's just missing the "nudge" option. when plugged into the Amx it's in the controller mode and not actual "internal" mode. do I need the DVS expansion to use nudge ?
PJ. 5:37 PM - 29 May, 2016
hey Schoeny,
not sure what you mean by controller mode and internal mode.
with the DVS expansion you have the option for
Internal wich you refer to as controller? i think
absolute
relative
through

nudging is done different in al those mode
internal is done by holding down the shift button and the library knob.
(correct me if im wrong anyone)
in al the other options nudging is done by using your turntable with serato vinyl for dvs.

Nice tip is that you can use an app called toneable from Inklen as dvs turntable.
Serato, Support
Karl Y 2:08 PM - 30 May, 2016
Its true unfortunately.
You don't see the pitch fader and nudge buttons without the DVS expansion.

As a workaround for now, you could start the Club Kit trial and then MIDI map those controls to some third party MIDI device. The mapping will work even when the trial has ended.
DBM Officiel 2:48 PM - 7 October, 2016
CAN I USE THE AFX ONLY , WITH

CDJ900NX AND DJM850 K

PLEASE ANSWER QUICK
Serato, Support
Karl Y 3:04 PM - 7 October, 2016
yes, assuming you have a serato dj or CLUB KIT license

the AFX doesn't unlock the software on its own. its only an ACCESSORY
deejdave 10:08 PM - 7 October, 2016
Quote:
yes, assuming you have a serato dj or CLUB KIT license

the AFX doesn't unlock the software on its own. its only an ACCESSORY

To be straight only the SDJ expansion itself would be necessary here if REC (etc.) is not needed.
MuWu 11:22 AM - 22 January, 2017
Has anyone been able to do some 2 click flares and other more intense scratches other then stabs, chirps, crabs on the Akai AMX? i cant seem to pull off nothing more serious on it as i can
on my other mixer?? i've seen the tutorial how to calibrate it, i believe the innofader in it is not the best of it, anyone has a suggestion how to tweak it to work normally, i just bought the dvs expansion and wanted to practice hard .. :/
kip 8:58 AM - 31 August, 2017
AFX gone to legacy www.akaipro.com
thebulge 9:33 AM - 31 August, 2017
Blam. Still waiting for that perfect portable DVS controller. AMX is close, but not quite there.
Meraklis 10:54 AM - 10 November, 2017
Hello! I have just downloaded Serato Dj and it shows 1 deck... I would like to know if I buy only AKAI AFX and not ANY other controller (I want AFX just for the effects) will I be able to unlock the 2 (or 4) decks?? Do i need to buy AMX or something else? or a licence or something??

Thanks!!
deejdave 3:58 PM - 10 November, 2017
You need a supported interface such as the AMX. A SL box, or supported controller or mixer will work too.
knto 12:36 PM - 24 March, 2018
hello.
i bought an amx yesterday (before i had a mixtrack pro 3) and i'm very satisfied although i had to buy the dvs option to plug my mpc touch and my stantpn turntable.
i have a question concerning the amx : how do we nudge into a track in read ? i don't understand how to do it.
thank you for your replies in advance
dibb 7:26 AM - 25 March, 2018
If I remember correctly, nudging is done by pressing Search 1 or 2 (for left or right deck) and simultaneously turning the browse knob.
knto 8:19 AM - 25 March, 2018
hello. i found the solution with a Facebook group.
i have another question, before i did it search + browse made acceleration /deceleration momentarily
how do we switch btw the both features?