DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Audio Output increased in 1.2 (Final) complaint

ski 1:43 AM - 11 November, 2004
I know there were lots of complaints about the low level of SSL compared to vinyl & I read the little blurb about comparing the levels to vinyl is pointless because of all the variations, but I know you guys raised the audio level on 1.2 final. I know because all of my songs come out super distorted now. I thought the only change was that master gain tempo was turned DOWN to avoid distortion. Thank goodness I reinstalled the preview version and everything sounds crystal clear again. I think I am pissed because I've got over 2000 songs, which means adjusting the levels of 2000+ songs! Now I know somebody is just going to say to just turn down the MASTER GAIN but that's not the point. I ALWAYS have the master at dead center and adjust the level of each track individually because I've found that sounds better to me. Also everytime you install a new update, the master gain is reset to center. Adjusting by track just makes more sense, so if I use my library on another SSL, the levels will be correct.

Is this going to be the level of all future updates? If it is, then I will either have to start adjusting ALL my music or just not upgrade. Sorry I just needed to vent because I REALLY am not looking forward to adjusting 2000+ songs. To be fair, the new level is at a level it ALWAYS should have been. My new tracks come in comparably to the original level of the wav file and I barely have to adjust the gains (in some cases, I had to turn them down!) Also I think Serato needs to admit they changed the levels, because I've never seen them admit the level output of SSL was low (which it was). end rant......
Serato, Moderator
AJ 2:29 AM - 11 November, 2004
Version 1.2 final corrected a problem we discovered in the calibration of the master gain knob. In all previous versions setting the master gain to 12 o'clock resulted in a -6db gain change. That was not our original intention, and it is not intuitive, so we fixed it in 1.2 final.

In summary, the min, mid and max positions are:
1.2 final release: -6db, 0db, +6db
1.2 pub preview: -18db, -6db, +6db
Previous versions: -12db, -6db, 0db

Which means that 1.2 final release is the first version ever to have the correct output level for master gain when it is set to the 12 0'clock position, previous to 1.2f, the center position was always -6db. I didn't know this myself until five minutes ago.

In your case, if you want exactly the same gain structure that you had in previous versions, all you have to do is set the master gain to it's minimum setting, because it is equivalent to the center position of all previous versions. As your comment about the chanel gain sounding better than the master gain, I would say it is purely psychological, because both gains are applied in the same way - as a floating point multiplication.

On the other hand, the fastest way to set all your individual track levels back to zero is to select them all in iTunes and choose Get Info from the file menu. Then check the box next to Volume adjustment and put the slider in the middle (it probably will already be in the middle). When you press OK, iTunes will go through every file in your library and adjust the gain to 0dB. Almost all your files should be set to 0dB anyway, the purpose of track gain is to adjust very quiet files, or very loud ones, with the assumption that most files sound about the same, which they should if they've been ripped from CDs. If they came from vinyl, then the level depends on the recording process applied at the time.
djpetey 3:01 AM - 11 November, 2004
so when I adjust my volumes in itunes that will carry over to ssl? what about the itunes feature that sets all the songs at the same volume? does that do anything in ssl?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 3:14 AM - 11 November, 2004
No, unfortunately iTunes doesn't use the same tag for it's auto gain feature, and we don't have access to this info.
nik39 7:57 AM - 11 November, 2004
Quote:
I think I am pissed because I've got over 2000 songs, which means adjusting the levels of 2000+ songs! Now I know somebody is just going to say to just turn down the MASTER GAIN but that's not the poin [...] Also everytime you install a new update, the master gain is reset to center. Adjusting by track just makes more sense, so if I use my library on another SSL, the levels will be correct.

Never thought of that last sentence... but its a very valid point. In that case turning down the master volume knob would suck, and the proper way is as you said to use the track specific volume.
Zion-Prayz 10:44 PM - 11 November, 2004
Have you tried mp3Gain (if you're using mp3s)? The program will let you undo the changes you make. www.scratchlive.net