DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Open Format Crate Organization

iamdjblackout 7:21 PM - 16 July, 2014
Just made the decision to branch out from basically hip hop to an open format type of style and I was wondering how some of you open format guys deal with organizing such an immense library. I was thinking about organizing by BPM increments of 10 then putting sub crates of genres under each bpm crate. That way if I'm working in a particular bpm I can choose to view all my options or my options from a particular genre. Ultimately I'm going to go with what feels best for me but I was just wondering what other types of ways are out there before I invest thousands of hours into this method!
Dj MacMillz 9:07 PM - 16 July, 2014
Check this out, it's helped me out a lot in making up my own method.

serato.com
Thundercat 2:21 AM - 17 July, 2014
Maybe I'm the odd one, but BPM is the last thing I worry about in my music organizing. I arrange by a broad genre or era and work subcrates off of that based off of feel or maybe date range. An example:
Lounge Beats
--Downtempo
--Ambient
--Boom Bap
--Neo Soul
etc.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:36 AM - 17 July, 2014
Quote:
BPM is the last thing I worry about in my music organizing.
+1

I always wondered why DJs do crates by BPM and DATE??? Serato has a BPM sort column so doing a actual BPM crate seems kinda useless.

Also who remembers if DJ Class - I'm the Ish came out in [month 2010]? Unless you are doing a class reunion type thing and needed a 1994 crate for a 10 year HS reunion - seems like crates by date are kinda useless from a organizational point when actually DJing (although I do my pool backup by week/month download on a external drive and on DVDs). I can see a 80's Crate or a 90's crate but why have a July 2014 crate???

Not much to add but the link above for tagging for search may be useful.
DJ Benny B NYC 2:38 PM - 17 July, 2014
I organize crates by genre and year, so hear is an example of what my crates look like:

New Hip Hop
New Rnb
00s Hip Hop
00s Rnb
00s Dance
80s Pop
90s Pop
80s Hip Hop
80s Rnb
90s Hip Hop
90s Rnb
Funk
Disco
00s Pop
New Pop
House

Etc...
phonze 3:09 PM - 17 July, 2014
Genre and year is pretty good imo. I wouldn't get much more specific then that. Going by BPM is overkill, unless you do an uptempo top 40 party crate like I do. I throw all the dumb pitbull/kesha/flo-rida crap in there.