Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Using 4 decks on DDJ-SR

Mr SidRaj 12:32 PM - 13 July, 2014
Hi guys

I am new to Serato, and started using last week after buying my Pioneer DDJ-SR. I believe the controller is meant to be able to control 4 decks through the deck-switch buttons. However, while the MIDI commands do indeed work, I have a basic question -

How can I know the current status of the EQs and volume fader on each deck? There doesn't seem to be a Mixer section on screen in Serato. Essentially, with the 'soft takeover' feature on DDJ-SR to control 4 decks, I need to be able to tell exactly where my EQs and volume are with just a glance at the screen. But I can't seem to be able to do so now.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it an overlooked feature? If so, how are most people able to use 4 decks on DDJ-SR without knowing exactly what the mixer status is?

I hope I have been clear in my question. Happy to clarify if needed.

Thanks a lot
Sid
WildcardX 2:44 PM - 14 July, 2014
I have the SR as well and it is a 2 channel mixer but when you switch the layer, the LED meters would display what levels are at and similarly the controls for that deck are used for the assignment of the channel; so Channel 1 or side A if you chose would control Deck 1 and 3 depending on the layer you have engaged at any point in time and the same would be for Side be with Deck 2 & 4. So when you switch your layer the hard ware will show what is on that deck and you can change it with the respective channel for that deck. The software, from what I understand doesn't have anything really to control this that I came across so it all comes down to your hardware Layer assignment relative to your channels on the 2 Channel Mixer of the SR. Hope that helps some.
Mr SidRaj 3:20 AM - 16 July, 2014
Thanks WildcardX. I understand what you are saying.

What I don't understand is, when you switch deck layers, how do you know where your mixer values are?

As an example - Let's say I am on Deck 1, playing a song, and turned the EQ values (cut out the bass), then loaded a song on Deck 3. Now my physical knob shows that my Low EQ is cut out, but the Deck 3 value is not actually zero for Low EQ. So I have to turn the knob until it reaches the actual value before it starts making any changes, right? How do I know how much I have to turn the knob before it starts taking effect?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Sid
WildcardX 2:30 PM - 16 July, 2014
Quote:
Thanks WildcardX. I understand what you are saying.

What I don't understand is, when you switch deck layers, how do you know where your mixer values are?

As an example - Let's say I am on Deck 1, playing a song, and turned the EQ values (cut out the bass), then loaded a song on Deck 3. Now my physical knob shows that my Low EQ is cut out, but the Deck 3 value is not actually zero for Low EQ. So I have to turn the knob until it reaches the actual value before it starts making any changes, right? How do I know how much I have to turn the knob before it starts taking effect?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Sid

Ah, now I understand where you are coming from more clearly. I wonder if this is a short coming when using a 2 channel mixer with 4 virtual Decks. I have to throw up the system and test this and get back to you maybe if no one else chimes in.
Toygan 9:13 PM - 28 April, 2015
I dont understand why there arent any volume level display on Serato DJ software like Traktor! It is impossible to use DDJ SR with 4 decks without seeing where the volume level is!! I have to turn all volumes and filter level to zero each time I change decks between 1&3 and 2&4. This can be solved by simply adding volume indicators to the Serato DJ as it is the case with Traktor.

I do hope Serato DJ will be updated very soon with volume indicators as option to display or I have to sell my 900USD DDJ-SJ - which is a very good product as hardware but very poor because of poor Serato DJ and not working mapping with Traktor!

Thanks
Toygan
Tommy Deem 1:33 PM - 29 April, 2015
Did u notice that in serato there are vu meters to each individual decks??
Serato, Support
Karl Y 2:56 PM - 29 April, 2015
Hey Toygan,

have you checked out the "EQ colored Waveforms" feature in Serato DJ 1.7.4 ?

I think it will help you :-)

Cheers
Karl
Toygan 1:10 PM - 13 May, 2015
f
Quote:

Which vu meters are you referring to?

Quote:
Hey Toygan,

Cheers
Karl

Hi Karl, Yes I tried with them but they are misleading unless you turn the vol all the way up or down. Besides when it comes to filter or main volume they are not useful.
Toygan 1:13 PM - 13 May, 2015
I had to pay 800USD to upgrade to SX2 - more than double price of SR. I love my controller and hardware pretty irritated about the policy Pioneer using its monopoly power to sell more products based on these cheap tricks such as forgetting vu on the SW - very hard to believe they didnt do it on purpose as Traktor has it more than 6 years!
Tommy Deem 10:36 AM - 14 May, 2015
Those which I referred, in serato, each deck, individual vu meter.

Quote:
f
Quote:

Which vu meters are you referring to?

Quote:
Hey Toygan,

Cheers
Karl

Hi Karl, Yes I tried with them but they are misleading unless you turn the vol all the way up or down. Besides when it comes to filter or main volume they are not useful.
JokaSmoka 9:50 AM - 9 October, 2015
Hi all,

Just thought I would shed some light on this from the info I have been given. As far as I am aware what ever settings you have on deck 1 for example (lets say you have taken the bass out) will be held on that setting when you switch it to deck 3. Obviously once you have switched to deck 3 you will want to turn the base nob back up but that wont effect the base which you have taken out on deck 1. The SR will hold all settings as they are no matter what sounds your taking out and bringing in UNTIL you press deck 1 again. It basically remembers and holds the settings you have in place until you select the said deck again. this will allow you to mess around with the sounds and effects without changing the sounds on the other deck. Hope I havent confused anyone and I hope that helps if this hasnt been figured out already.

I only know this from a review I saw on youtube as I cant actually get 4 channel mixing to work on mine lol.

cheers
MC Apollo 6:03 PM - 4 January, 2017
JokaSmoke. your answer is not usefull at all. We all know what it an do and how it does stuff, but we need to see stuff when we mix. and not being able to see volume of each individual equaliser makaes using a 4 decks on 2 channel uselesss...in DDJ-SR. So please for once can someone explain how is it usefull to have 2 channells with 4 decks?? Or please i want my money back. :( :(
ty
Wavespeech 3:09 PM - 5 January, 2017
Quote:
we need to see stuff when we mix. and not being able to see volume of each individual equaliser makaes using a 4 decks on 2 channel uselesss...in DDJ-SR. So please for once can someone explain how is it usefull to have 2 channells with 4 decks??

The volume of each individual equaliser, I guess you mean the position of each fader.

4 deck control via a 2 channel controller is a compromise, the software is there anyway in the background, the controller, the DDJ SR, will function as such:

Deck 1. Play track with fader at say position 8.
Switch to deck 3, play track with fader at say position 3.

(Yes levels of these 2 tracks are way off, you should set levels before the faders. But in this example.......)

Switch to deck 1, you want to start fading out, BUT your fader is at 3 and this tracks was playing with the fader at 8. You pull fader down and nothing happens. You have to push fader up to 8 at which point the software knows the fader has hit this position it was at when you set the controls using deck 1 before, and you can now fader down deck 1.

Same for the knobs, you have to go to the point they were last at and adjust from there.

As I said, it's a compromise. The cost saving over a 4 channel controller/mixer vs the convenience or the need for easy 4 deck mixing.

How useful you find it depends on how you mix I guess.

You can remember where you left the faders and knobs can't you when you switched out of deck 1, you know like you can remember all the breaks and counts from the track you heard at Shelleys in 1991...

...no, then adjust the knobs and faders slowly until they 'hit' the adjustment point you left them at.
MC Apollo 3:26 PM - 5 January, 2017
i know how it works, but still it isnt usable becouse of too muc thinking just for this to just explain it you needed so many words.. i :( :( if there would be an extra window in serato where you could see the levels of your equaliser and voume and everything else, that is in shadow mode.. then maybe could be some use for it but since serato doesn't show that info its like touching in the dark which is not recommended whne you are in front of audience.. not to mention demanding audience.. etc..
Wavespeech 10:01 PM - 22 January, 2017
I'd say if your skill levels are at the point you require >2 decks simultaneously and you are playing to an audience then maybe a controller upgrade would be your best bet.
DomePeace 8:09 PM - 7 May, 2018
I'd upgrade, if I were you. :)
DJ Vee - Vanessa Ferreira Caira 5:20 PM - 22 October, 2018
Hi All,

I'm in a similar predicament. I don't have the financial means to upgrade (or, frankly, the necessity) but would like to have at least one more channel going so that I can have a background beat going at certain times. I have the DDJ SR2 and actually have never been able to set it up so that I can even get sound out of decks 3 and 4 when I select them (I'll have to do some trial and error at some point with that). But more than anything, I'd like to know if I can connect an external (digital) turntable to it and call it a day? Similarly, could I connect something like a drum pad to it? Those two are completely unrelated questions but I figured I'd ask.
DomePeace 8:03 PM - 2 June, 2019
Quote:
Hi All,

I'm in a similar predicament. I don't have the financial means to upgrade (or, frankly, the necessity) but would like to have at least one more channel going so that I can have a background beat going at certain times. I have the DDJ SR2 and actually have never been able to set it up so that I can even get sound out of decks 3 and 4 when I select them (I'll have to do some trial and error at some point with that). But more than anything, I'd like to know if I can connect an external (digital) turntable to it and call it a day? Similarly, could I connect something like a drum pad to it? Those two are completely unrelated questions but I figured I'd ask.

You'd need Serato DVS to hook up a turntable with timecode vinyl.