DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Tough Gig

Sticky K 8:15 AM - 17 March, 2009
Hi Guys,

I played my first corporate function on Friday last week and I feel like it was a disaster. I would like to hear how you guys handled/would handle the situation I was in.

Now I must mention that I have only been DJing for +-1 year now so I don't have much experience (private & 21'st parties). There were no train wrecks though and I through in a few scratches...

Let me set the scene - A company was having their annual awards evening so it was a formal event. The crowd consisted of a wide spread of cultures and age groups (each group liking different music)

The awards went off very well and I even received some complements.... I was requested to play bungra/bollywood, R&B, House for the function so my plan was to play some of the newer top 40 type stuff (lady gaga etc) in the begining and move to older music and eventually house (fit the bollywood stuff in somewhere). I wanted to keep the genres together so that people could at least enjoy about 30 min of their genre...

The people had dinner then the party started. I just started with my first song (Jamie Fox - blame it) and already I had like 4 people requesting 4 genres at the same time (Hard House, Bollywood, 80s & local)!!!!

So I tried accommodating everyone and felt like I was pleasing nobody. I was playing some 80s jamz (people where dancing) and I guy was demanding bollywood music. He waited by my decks for 4 songs until I played his song. When I did that, everyone went off the dance floor and he was not even dancing!!!!!!!

Most of the night was similar until about 10:30pm when I started playing house for the younger crowd (which sent the older people home).

What do you do in those situations????

K
Laz219 9:22 AM - 17 March, 2009
Welcome to the way things are, people are morons.

For the most part you would have been better to stick to your plan, you just tell the people "I'll get to that kind of music soon, I've just got to play a little of each to keep everyone happy" Play sections of each maybe throwing in a track that is somewhere between two genres here and there. Throwing on something totally different because you have someone hassling you will put more people off than is worth satisfying 1 person for.
DJ Sainte 9:23 AM - 17 March, 2009
Tough. I think you went a little backwards here. Wouldn't start out with anything current. "Jamie Foxx - Blame It" should be at the the end of the night when everybody's nice and drunk. A good rule is to play older stuff first to get the older crowd in the mood a little. If you can see the bar keep an eye out for when the older crowd has drinks in their hands. Wait a bit ( 15 - 20 min ) then hit them with some back-to-back ol' school 80's bangers ( " Got to be Real" , "P.Y.T." ( one of my all time favs ), some Bon Jovi, etc....).

See, like you said, the older crowd tend to want to go home early if their not feeling it, while the younger crowd will stick around for a while ( if younger people request early just tell them you're warming things up ). Then slowly mix in some house blends/mash-ups/remixes. Same with the Bollywood but that may be alot harder....

After that, I'll look and see who left and play to that crowd. If it still a mix crowd and the drinks are flowing freely, I'd go into all the current stuff with some more ol' school bangers ( ex: "Poison" ). Trust me, I've seen ladies 45+ dancing to Lil Jon at the end of some parties ( vodka is hell of a drug... )

Last but not least, never throw a request on in the wrong spot unless its by the people who are paying you. It kills your vibe and most likely your dancefloor too....
Sticky K 9:28 AM - 17 March, 2009
You guys are 100% on the money. especially not playing new stuff first! That was a bad move.
DPR250R 12:23 PM - 17 March, 2009
Quote:
never throw a request on in the wrong spot unless its by the people who are paying you. It kills your vibe and most likely your dancefloor too....

Yup.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:46 PM - 17 March, 2009
Ya and if your hired to do an even and they ask you to play in that order just talk to them and explain that your a pro and that if they want to hear it in that order than your more than willing to but heres the reason why a different order would work better. That way they know that you know what your doing and theyll put more trust in you
sixxx 3:13 PM - 17 March, 2009
just remember one simple rule..... you are driving the bus.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:25 PM - 17 March, 2009
Quote:
just remember one simple rule..... you are driving the bus.

And its not the long bus either
djbigboy 5:26 PM - 17 March, 2009
Yeah corporate events are way different then club events or regular private events. Its always better to err on the safe side then the "I'm the greatest dj in the world and play all the hot new ish..."

So what Sainte said is right on the money...working with the person in charge of the party is essential too...a lot of times people just want to be heard,so allow them the chance to pre request. Don't guess on ethnic music, make them request specific songs (and offer an opportunity for them to prodvide if need be).

Most corporate events are not a roaring, whoa that was hella fun, kind of events. Play solid music, go thru a lot of music genres, take requests, and don't offend anybody and you'd be surprised by how many compliments you get even if you didn't go crazy with the mixing...
djmixmasterchino 6:04 PM - 17 March, 2009
yea they are totally right ! look i am a dj for two deferent cultures spanish and english! and let me tell u something there is no harder crowd than spanish crowds! why i say that cuz most of the latinos live in the us so they like spanish music and english music so i have to please every one so my plan i always have for every party is to no have a plan at all! as time goes by u will no longer need to plan ahead just feel the vibe and examine the crowd than u would automatically know what to do! ohh and dont listen to people that request at all unless they pay u! pay u pay u! ok!.. but dont be rude aether just dont listen to them do ur thing!
DJ Strike It Up 6:12 PM - 17 March, 2009
This is exactly why I dont do private gigs anymore...i make a good living as an accontant, i dont need to do private gigs to get more money in my pocket...i prefer my sanity over money....i cant stand the idiots at these private gigs.

It never fails, someone always comes up, looks at my setup and says "Turntables? Records? They still make those?"

Another thing that kills me is that people come up, ask for a particular style of music, I play it but they dont get up to dance to it, so after a few minutes I change it up to something else, and then they come up again and ask if im going to play that particular style of music again soon....arrrrgh!
DJ Strike It Up 6:13 PM - 17 March, 2009
**accountant...geesh, you would think i should always spell that correctly!
Djbran 6:30 PM - 17 March, 2009
Quote:

Another thing that kills me is that people come up, ask for a particular style of music, I play it but they dont get up to dance to it, so after a few minutes I change it up to something else, and then they come up again and ask if im going to play that particular style of music again soon....arrrrgh!

+1 lol. I had one guy posted next to me for like 10 minutes after buggin me to play some tango. when I finally threw it in fool went back to his seat. I was like wtf??
sixxx 7:43 PM - 17 March, 2009
Quote:
This is exactly why I dont do private gigs anymore...i make a good living as an accontant, i dont need to do private gigs to get more money in my pocket...i prefer my sanity over money....i cant stand the idiots at these private gigs.

It never fails, someone always comes up, looks at my setup and says "Turntables? Records? They still make those?"

hahahah. Soooo true.
R-Tistic 7:47 PM - 17 March, 2009
This is something I low key "fear" because it's impossible to please this type of crowd.

I realize that it's even harder when you deal with mixed ages, along with mixed ethnicities, along with mixed classes and backgrounds...because it's hard as HELL to cater to each crowd and balance it to where even 60% of the crowd is happy.

With me...I always aim to please those who paid me and those who are giving the most energy off, even if they aren't the majority. Therefore...if it's a 50 yr anniversary, and only 35% of the crowd is under 35, I will balance it, but still play more than just 35% of the music for the under 35 crowd, because they will stay on the floor and keep your confidence up. Some older people just want to HEAR the music...so I don't care as much that they enjoy hearing it, if they aren't "proving it" through dancing.
shiestO! 9:12 PM - 17 March, 2009
you're better off not taking these kind of gigs as they will kill your spirit and any chance you may have of caring about the human race.
Maskrider 9:19 PM - 17 March, 2009
I know you can't please them all but whatever works the dancefloor I'll stay with that for awhile. especially if there is a majority of older crowds that dance to 80's and 70's just sprinkle those New songs like the Top 40 like 1 to 2 songs in a row.
DJ Tank 5:22 AM - 18 March, 2009
Quote:
I know you can't please them all but whatever works the dancefloor I'll stay with that for awhile. especially if there is a majority of older crowds that dance to 80's and 70's just sprinkle those New songs like the Top 40 like 1 to 2 songs in a row.

+1
DJ Michael Basic 7:08 AM - 18 March, 2009
Sometimes you just can't win. My worst night DJing ever was a holiday party I did for BAE systems out in Yorba Linda. Big money gig, they had it at the Richard Nixon Library, beautiful venue. There were white people who wanted classic rock, latinos who wanted cumbias, salsa, merengue, etc. and black people who wanted funk, old school etc. as well as some 21-35 who wanted new stuff.

The people who booked me and were in charge were the white people who wanted the classic rock...so of course their requests superseded the other requests, but they wouldn't dance...so when I'd play some classic rock, nobody was dancing and the latinos would come and complain, why are you playing this nobody is dancing..."The people who are paying me want to hear it, I do what the people writing my check say."

All night long, I'd play one group's stuff and the other group would bitch and complain. It was so awful that the next year when they wanted to book me to do it again I turned the gig down because it was really just painful all night long. Good money but not worth 6 hours of agony.
Sticky K 7:39 AM - 18 March, 2009
Quote:
All night long, I'd play one group's stuff and the other group would bitch and complain. It was so awful that the next year when they wanted to book me to do it again I turned the gig down because it was really just painful all night long. Good money but not worth 6 hours of agony.

Quote:

+1 lol. I had one guy posted next to me for like 10 minutes after buggin me to play some tango. when I finally threw it in fool went back to his seat. I was like wtf??

+1
deejaymoody 8:04 AM - 18 March, 2009
I used to get all flustered about these type of gigs as well as the club requests but man if you can just keep a level head at the end of the night when you get paid it's really no sweat. I used to get so fucking stressed out about these exact types of gigs but really they're cake as long as you have a fantastic cache of tracks. For instance the other night this older cat asked me to play Bobby Darin - Mack the Knife. It was a big money charity deal and he handed me a 50 so I was like yes sir. I had my share of requests but I usually stress about these type of functions but by the end of the night all of my business cards were gone and I had been asked to play an extra 2 hours for a bonus. It's all about your collection baby well also your ability to make the shit sound right.
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:24 PM - 18 March, 2009
the more your getting paid the worse it is too, more money = higher expectations that you can please everyone
DJ Jonasty 2:20 PM - 18 March, 2009
More money, more problems
DJ CISC0 3:09 PM - 18 March, 2009
Quote:
Sometimes you just can't win. My worst night DJing ever was a holiday party I did for BAE systems out in Yorba Linda. Big money gig, they had it at the Richard Nixon Library, beautiful venue. There were white people who wanted classic rock, latinos who wanted cumbias, salsa, merengue, etc. and black people who wanted funk, old school etc. as well as some 21-35 who wanted new stuff.

The people who booked me and were in charge were the white people who wanted the classic rock...so of course their requests superseded the other requests, but they wouldn't dance...so when I'd play some classic rock, nobody was dancing and the latinos would come and complain, why are you playing this nobody is dancing..."The people who are paying me want to hear it, I do what the people writing my check say."

This is exactly what I go through....but I still do them because it really is easy money.

I remember at this one holiday party I had this chick coming up to me all night asking me for hip hop. Funny thing was that I WAS playing hip hop during my sets. But every time I would drop a hip hop track I would notice that she was no where to be found. So right when I would go into another set I see the bitch walk back inside the room with a plate full of food. This was happening all night it seemed like. So all this time she was busy stuffing her face but bitching at me that I didn't play hip hop.

I had a friend that worked at that hotel who told me that she was trying to make a big stink about me not playing hip-hop to HR....But since I even had the GM and most big wigs (who payed me BTW) dancing all night...guess who they brought back the next year to spin?...Holla!
Jader 3:16 PM - 18 March, 2009
i just really really hate it when people bitch at you all night long to play some shit that they want to hear, then they DON'T DANCE. i'm thinking it's probably because their dumb request just cleared the floor and they don't want to look like the only idiot dancing. i just want to be like see, look what you did jackass, now can i get back to rocking the party till the early light?
Mike_P 3:30 PM - 18 March, 2009
here is a nice little trick i use for dipshits insisting on stupid music. tell the guy "cool, man. i'll throw it on...whats your name?" as you drop the track announce..."here is a very special request by *insert dipshit's name here*!" if it clears the floor the guy won't be back to bug you again.
Caramac 3:34 PM - 18 March, 2009
If they aren't dancing before they request it I'll tell them point blank it isn't going on.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:38 PM - 18 March, 2009
Quote:
here is a nice little trick i use for dipshits insisting on stupid music. tell the guy "cool, man. i'll throw it on...whats your name?" as you drop the track announce..."here is a very special request by *insert dipshit's name here*!" if it clears the floor the guy won't be back to bug you again.

Wont this backfire if you say that drop the song and the crowd goes ape shit...you wont be able to get rid of her for the rest of your career, shell be showing up to all your shows with lists
agentorange 5:41 PM - 18 March, 2009
^^^^ hahahahahah
djbigboy 5:43 PM - 18 March, 2009
It doesn't really backfire I think to that extreme but it could give that person props from whatever company they keep. And you get to learn something. But I think most of us know when a song is gonna bomb. And if it does, you are at least deflecting some fire away from you.
DJ Strike It Up 5:46 PM - 18 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Wont this backfire if you say that drop the song and the crowd goes ape shit...you wont be able to get rid of her for the rest of your career, shell be showing up to all your shows with lists

This trick would work even better if you use the word "dipshit" right after the name of the person who made the stupid song request
Mike_P 5:50 PM - 18 March, 2009
haha if the people go apeshit i put the dipshit on the payroll!
DJ Strike It Up 5:55 PM - 18 March, 2009
DJ Dipshit?
Mike_P 8:28 PM - 18 March, 2009
haha! or dj apeshit.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:43 PM - 18 March, 2009
hahaha
DJDiablo 1:45 PM - 19 March, 2009
I like gigs where I'm away from the crowd. Put a "request sheet" somewhere and glance at it from time-to-time.

I remember back in HS (eons ago), the DJs would set up a perimeter of tables (since we had the parties in the cafeteria) about 10-12 feet from them in all directions and have 1-2 request sheets on a clip board laying on the tables. This way, The DJs were somewhat separated from the crowd.

I usually have a game plan with set mixes of different types of music for specific events. If someone requests something, I'll drop it in if the beat flows with what I'm currently playing. If not it waits until later or just doesn't get played. If people start asking too much and "why aren't you playin this or that?", I tell them I try to accomoadate the general crowd and do my best to fit in special requests and that if they don't like the music I'm playin at an event, go talk to the guy that's paying me. I listen to the man with the money!!! 99% of the time, they don't even bother.

At weddings, I listen to the bride and groom. In the past, I have been given specific instructions to "NOT" play certain songs or types of music...(like the cha cha slide). I had one bride that absolutely hated that song and said I better not play it..haha.
Turn Table Tennis 2:59 PM - 19 March, 2009
Quote:
I like gigs where I'm away from the crowd. Put a "request sheet" somewhere and glance at it from time-to-time.

I remember back in HS (eons ago), the DJs would set up a perimeter of tables (since we had the parties in the cafeteria) about 10-12 feet from them in all directions and have 1-2 request sheets on a clip board laying on the tables. This way, The DJs were somewhat separated from the crowd.

I usually have a game plan with set mixes of different types of music for specific events. If someone requests something, I'll drop it in if the beat flows with what I'm currently playing. If not it waits until later or just doesn't get played. If people start asking too much and "why aren't you playin this or that?", I tell them I try to accomoadate the general crowd and do my best to fit in special requests and that if they don't like the music I'm playin at an event, go talk to the guy that's paying me. I listen to the man with the money!!! 99% of the time, they don't even bother.

At weddings, I listen to the bride and groom. In the past, I have been given specific instructions to "NOT" play certain songs or types of music...(like the cha cha slide). I had one bride that absolutely hated that song and said I better not play it..haha.

i did a wedding like that. she said absolutely no line dance type music and under no circumstances am i to play celebrate. guess what most of my requests were for? but a hundred upset people are easier to deal with then one upset bride on her wedding day.
Caramac 3:19 PM - 19 March, 2009
You're setting all men back years with that attitude. I make it a point to ignore the bride's request. She starts bossing ME the DJ about and then next thing you know she's bossing her husband around. Take out the rubbish, put this shelf up, tidy up my parents are coming round blah blah blah. It's your duty as a member of the male race to let her know you're calling the shots.

You should read Taming of The Shrew.

The grooms see their new wife crying and they always thank me. It's called tough love.

Lol.