DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Cerwin Vega P1800SX Anyone Heard them?

DJ Remy USA 1:11 PM - 17 June, 2014
So Im the market for some speakers currently I wanted to get 2 ELX112p and 2 ELX118P but now Im think about ditching the 2 ELX118 for the Cerwin Vega P1800SX but I cannot demo them anywhere has anyone heard these?
dj jamalot 1:19 PM - 17 June, 2014
Cerwin vega kinda fell off after they got bought out, i hope they can come back i love my older vega speakers i have they still hit hard...
Joee 3:47 PM - 17 June, 2014
Quote:
Cerwin vega kinda fell off after they got bought out, i hope they can come back i love my older vega speakers i have they still hit hard...

that cv is a $1,000 speaker? would you be paying retail?

if so you be better of saving another $500 to get a better speaker
DJ Remy USA 5:11 PM - 17 June, 2014
so are you guys saying that its a crap speaker? Have you heard it? How does it compare with the ELX 118P cause I cannot afford the QSC, plus the KW181 is too much for me and my little altima so I need something I can fit on my back seats side by side. So I am buying 2 subs what do you guys recommend?

It has to come from the AMS website tho thats were Im buying from.
Joee 5:26 PM - 17 June, 2014
if your buying from ams why don't you want to get the qsc kw181? it's $30 extra a month compared to the cv, if your doing a payment plan

qsc $116 a month

cv $83

the qsc is almost the same size as the cv
DJ Remy USA 7:56 PM - 17 June, 2014
Quote:
if your buying from ams why don't you want to get the qsc kw181? it's $30 extra a month compared to the cv, if your doing a payment plan

qsc $116 a month

cv $83

the qsc is almost the same size as the cv

Kw181 is just way to big for me to transport inside of my car, so Im trying to find a good sub that I can transport on my back seat without issue. Also I cannot finance dent & scratch only brand new and they are 1300 a pop. So my question is still have you heard the Cerwin Vegas? According to the reviews the sub is a lot better than what people were expecting, but then again I always cross check here
DJ NoNseNse 8:13 PM - 17 June, 2014
Jbl Prx715xlf
Yamaha dxs15
EV etx15sp
Joee 8:52 PM - 17 June, 2014
Quote:
Jbl Prx715xlf

EV etx15sp

more money than he wants to spent

Quote:
Yamaha dxs15

in his price range
DJ Remy USA 9:03 PM - 17 June, 2014
so is the Yamaha DXS15 better than the ELX 118P? Ive heard the EV and its not bad Im think 2 together should be able to do 100-150 people. However if I can get a sub that do up to 200 then I will pay a little extra. My main concern is transport. Getting the Kw181 is cool but I have no way of moving such a massive item
DJ Remy USA 9:10 PM - 17 June, 2014
The Yamaha specs are under the ELX118 and its a little more expensive. Question is how does it sound?

That Cerwin Vega has more power plus Im running a DBX PA drive rack so Im thinking with 2000w of dynamic power I can run these without worrying about me limiting. Im going to GC to look at some these but still want you guys to chime in
Joee 9:17 PM - 17 June, 2014
^ what is your max budget to spent on the sub at ams?
DJ Remy USA 1:16 PM - 18 June, 2014
no more than 900.00 per sub.
Joee 1:20 PM - 18 June, 2014
^ and what tops are you running?
DJ NoNseNse 2:24 PM - 18 June, 2014
Why are you considering the elx118 when your concerned about size? The kw181 is about the same size maybe a little wider.
Joee 2:29 PM - 18 June, 2014
Quote:
Why are you considering the elx118 when your concerned about size? The kw181 is about the same size maybe a little wider.

+1

all 18" that your considering are similar in size
DJ Remy USA 2:36 PM - 18 June, 2014
I was getting the CV at a discounted price when I called AMS so they were selling them under a grand.

Im basically trying to keep my 12 easy payments as low as possible, I have a lot of credit available but the payment plans per month can get steep if you start getting really high priced gear so Im trying to get something professional grade but maybe not top of the line.
Quote:
^ and what tops are you running?

EV ELX112
DJ Remy USA 2:38 PM - 18 June, 2014
Quote:

actually the Kw181 is much wider the ELX 118P is more of a compact 18inch sub. I can fit 2 in my back seat I have already tested it to make sure. The KW181 is to wide for my car, even the trunk. I need at least SUV or something bigger than a altima to move it around.
DJ Remy USA 2:41 PM - 18 June, 2014
but back on topic here guys. Have you heard the CV P1800? Im just asking that if you havent heard it thats cool too. Im pretty set on what tops I want, I like EV stuff alot but I just want to make sure I get a best sub for my money that I can also transport.
Joee 2:51 PM - 18 June, 2014
qsc
20.1" x 23.4" x 29.9" with casters

ev
Height 661 mm (26.02")
Width 507 mm (19.96")
Depth 574 mm (22.6")

you sure the qsc wont fit, even if you turn it sideways?
DJ NoNseNse 2:55 PM - 18 June, 2014
Ever thought about selling your car for a SUV?
DJ NoNseNse 3:03 PM - 18 June, 2014
I heard the p1800sx a while back. Its not bad but I'm more concerned with reliability. Its on clearance at guitar center so it might be limited in stores.
DJ Remy USA 5:16 PM - 18 June, 2014
Quote:
qsc

ev
Height 661 mm (26.02")
Width 507 mm (19.96")
Depth 574 mm (22.6")

you sure the qsc wont fit, even if you turn it sideways?

I can actually fit one sideways, but not both. Remember Im buying 2 sub and 2 tops Im set on the EV 112P cause they sound good and I can fit both in the trunk with turntables and everything else. Subs go on the back seat.
DJ Remy USA 5:17 PM - 18 June, 2014
Quote:
Ever thought about selling your car for a SUV?

not happening gas is crazy expensive here over 4$ in some places. Im good.lol
Joee 6:39 PM - 18 June, 2014
Quote:
I can actually fit one sideways, but not both. Remember Im buying 2 sub and 2 tops Im set on the EV 112P cause they sound good and I can fit both in the trunk with turntables and everything else. Subs go on the back seat.

ahhh, i been there
i used to fit this in the front seat
rasmuscatalog.com

of this
www.theautochannel.com

so your choices are the cv & the ev, while not being the best sub around i think the ev is ok for what it cost $600 new shipped maybe even $550 now

i actually use a sub that would be better suited for your needs but you can't get them from ams, there very compact you can see a vci 380 box next to it to give you a idea of how big it is

imageshack.com

imageshack.com

www.kpodj.com
DJ Remy USA 8:42 PM - 18 June, 2014
Ive heard great things about the RCF subs but heres my gripe. Only 500w of power for a little over a grand? Im not sure if thats worth it at that price point, but maybe my logic is wrong.

I know power isnt everything but its everything when it comes to how hard you push a speaker (granted everything else is top notch on the speaker). Does that make sense? It has to come from AMS.

So do you think the CV at 2000w maximum is worth it at 1000 dollars a pop, or do you Im better suited grabbing the EV? Can tell me why one over the other?
Joee 8:57 PM - 18 June, 2014
the rcf is not 500, it's 700 watts as is the ev you were considering
dj_soo 9:23 PM - 18 June, 2014
Listed numbers are basically lies these days.

One of the spots I play at has an ELX118 and it really isn't that great in terms of volume although it sounds decent.

For 100-150, a single KW181 would probably be a better option and deal imo.
Joee 10:13 PM - 18 June, 2014
Quote:
Ive heard great things about the RCF subs but heres my gripe. Only 500w of power for a little over a grand?

forgot to mention ,i got my rcf sub 705-as for $775 each new, you can get them for $880 shipped, don't let the size full you they hit pretty nice

Quote:
So do you think the CV at 2000w maximum is worth it at 1000 dollars a pop, or do you Im better suited grabbing the EV? Can tell me why one over the other?

i think your putting too much though into it, what ever you chose to get you'll be better of than you are now right? i'm assuming you don't have a sub now?

the elx112p are decent box's not super loud, my advise is just get one qsc kw181 it will be a perfect match for two elx112p
DJ NoNseNse 10:25 PM - 18 June, 2014
Quote:
Ive heard great things about the RCF subs but heres my gripe. Only 500w of power for a little over a grand? Im not sure if thats worth it at that price point, but maybe my logic is wrong.

I know power isnt everything but its everything when it comes to how hard you push a speaker (granted everything else is top notch on the speaker). Does that make sense? It has to come from AMS.

That sub is not worth $1000. So your gonna pay $1000 at ams when you can get it for $600 at guitar center?
DJ NoNseNse 10:28 PM - 18 June, 2014
I don't think you need 2 subs for 100-150 people. One kw181 should be fine.
Joee 10:29 PM - 18 June, 2014
Quote:
That sub is not worth $1000. So your gonna pay $1000 at ams when you can get it for $600 at guitar center?

you heard the CV he's talking about ,have you heard the EV? how would you say they compare?
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:46 AM - 19 June, 2014
I have not heard the CV, but I don't think you will be disappointed with the 181. You see the numbers it is not that much bigger than the EV, but it does sound better. If you are stuck on the EV 118 you can get two and that will probably be good enough for you.

I will probably get a 181 eventually. I'm just trying to hold out and see of the price drops. LOL
DJ Remy USA 1:12 PM - 19 June, 2014
Quote:

One of the spots I play at has an ELX118 and it really isn't that great in terms of volume although it sounds decent.

I agree however the setup will not be symetrical with one sub I want 2, I like the look of 2 subs with the speakers mounted on top when Im doing mobiles. I could get the KW181 and just put it in the middle and use speakers stands but I hate the speaker stand look but your point is valid.
DJ Remy USA 1:14 PM - 19 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Ive heard great things about the RCF subs but heres my gripe. Only 500w of power for a little over a grand?

forgot to mention ,i got my rcf sub 705-as for $775 each new, you can get them for $880 shipped, don't let the size full you they hit pretty nice

Quote:

i think your putting too much though into it, what ever you chose to get you'll be better of than you are now right? i'm assuming you don't have a sub now?

the elx112p are decent box's not super loud, my advise is just get one qsc kw181 it will be a perfect match for two elx112p

No I have a sub now but it sucks, I have a full range alto setup. It sounds ok but the speaker tops blow easily cause of the cheap parts and the sub leaves you wanting more. So I currently have a buddy that rents me 2 EV SBA 760s (them things are nice btw)
DJ Remy USA 1:16 PM - 19 June, 2014
Quote:
I don't think you need 2 subs for 100-150 people. One kw181 should be fine.

You may be right but in the future Im going to need more to do bigger events. Ive done events with 600 people that are mobiles but again I have a buddy that has all the gear in the world but I dont want to keep relying on him.
DJ NoNseNse 3:34 PM - 19 June, 2014
If you want to spend less money don't buy it at AMS.
DJ GaFFle 5:13 PM - 19 June, 2014
Quote:

... So I currently have a buddy that rents me 2 EV SBA 760s (them things are nice btw)

I know... I have the SBA750's and they hit hard for 15" subs.
Taipanic 8:37 PM - 19 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
... So I currently have a buddy that rents me 2 EV SBA 760s (them things are nice btw)

I know... I have the SBA750's and they hit hard for 15" subs.

You should do a test with your SBA750s and the new ETX 15. It would be interesting to see how those two compare.
dj_soo 10:15 PM - 19 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I agree however the setup will not be symetrical with one sub I want 2, I like the look of 2 subs with the speakers mounted on top when Im doing mobiles. I could get the KW181 and just put it in the middle and use speakers stands but I hate the speaker stand look but your point is valid.

Even with two, you're always better off coupling them and corner-loading or placing them in the centre. Splitting up your subs the way you want will look good, but will cause a hit to potential volume, create dead spots due to cancellation, and create comb filtering.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:49 AM - 20 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Just get your speaker stands some dresses to make em look sexy.
DJ NoNseNse 2:49 PM - 22 June, 2014
Did you decide yet?
DJ Remy USA 4:00 PM - 22 June, 2014
No not yet but I did go hear the EV 118 again and I heard JBL PRX series speakers. Jbl sounded good just a little pricey. I'm gonna pull the trigger soon.
DJ NoNseNse 3:39 PM - 23 June, 2014
Check out Yamaha dxr's
DJ Remy USA 4:07 PM - 23 June, 2014
do they sound better in your opinion?
Joee 4:11 PM - 23 June, 2014
Quote:

Deja de joder YAAA........lol

just get the ev's already, they will match your tops & again while not being the best sounding sub, for $600 it's not bad

you would have to pay $900 for the compact/portable rcf sub
DJ Remy USA 8:15 PM - 23 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

just get the ev's already, they will match your tops & again while not being the best sounding sub, for $600 it's not bad

Im just asking I dont buy speakers often so Im just doing as much research as I can. That RCF does look nice just they are not at AMS. Im actually thinking of biting the bullet and getting the QSC KW181 I was looking into adding a hitch on my car and getting a trailer so I could haul it all.
DJ Tecniq 11:21 PM - 28 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Im just asking I dont buy speakers often so Im just doing as much research as I can. That RCF does look nice just they are not at AMS. Im actually thinking of biting the bullet and getting the QSC KW181 I was looking into adding a hitch on my car and getting a trailer so I could haul it all.
For the record I drive a 08' Altima Coupe and without the spare tire in the trunk my QSC Ksub fits perfectly I actually have room in the front to even put 3 speaker stands. It has wheels so i just roll it all the way back and lay it down. I am actually considering trading my ksub for the KW181 but just as you I'm not sure if it will fit like my ksub does.
DJ Tecniq 11:25 PM - 28 September, 2014
And if you are not sure of the cerwin vega P1800SX...just read the reviews they fucking slam! www.pssl.com
DJ Tecniq 11:29 PM - 28 September, 2014
However I've seen the KW181 up close and I'm almost positive it will fit in the trunk of my altima coupe. I haven't been able to test it yet but soon as i can and if it fits i will be trading my ksub in for the kw181.
DJ Tecniq 11:33 PM - 28 September, 2014
Quote:
No I have a sub now but it sucks, I have a full range alto setup. It sounds ok but the speaker tops blow easily cause of the cheap parts and the sub leaves you wanting more. So I currently have a buddy that rents me 2 EV SBA 760s (them things are nice btw)
And btw one of the venue's i play at have alto tops they are shit. They blow easily and their customer service sucks. I brought my qsc k10 and their is not even a comparison. My K10 blows it out of the water on 1 notch volume level. Unfortunately the club owner wanted "affordable" speakers which they are but they do NOT last long just my opinion.
deejdave 3:18 AM - 29 September, 2014
Quote:
However I've seen the KW181 up close and I'm almost positive it will fit in the trunk of my altima coupe. I haven't been able to test it yet but soon as i can and if it fits i will be trading my ksub in for the kw181.

This is my second car. Curious on if you KNOW of any subs off hand that fit for sure in it? I typically use my rogue for smaller events and the van for larger events but It'd be nice to know I have a sub that fits in the altima.

Possibly a 15" or dare I get greedy and ask about an 18"er LOL?
DJ Tecniq 6:39 AM - 29 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

This is my second car. Curious on if you KNOW of any subs off hand that fit for sure in it? I typically use my rogue for smaller events and the van for larger events but It'd be nice to know I have a sub that fits in the altima.

Possibly a 15" or dare I get greedy and ask about an 18"er LOL?
understand that without the spare tire in the trunk (which came with my car) a qsc ksub (which is dual 12's fits in the trunk of my Altima coupe it fits sideways laid flat down. The backseats of my Altima coupe fold down and that's where I store the tops, turntables and all other equipment. It all fits no problem👌 Now if you are looking for a sub that might fit like the ksub I'd say the EV Etx 15 or Qsc KW181 they are both small and compact. I'm not positive but you would have to check and either do measurements or try it yourself. The ksub fits cause it's much thinner and can roll all the way to the back of trunk.
Qsc ksub-www.pssl.com
EV Etx 15-www.pssl.com
Qsc kw181-
www.pssl.com
DJ Tecniq 6:41 AM - 29 September, 2014
I will take some pictures of the ksub fitting in the trunk of my car just give me some time👌
DJ Tecniq 6:52 AM - 29 September, 2014
I have asked what the measurements of the kw181 are compared to my ksub and here they are.

A: KSUB:
26" x 14" x 28.1" (including casters)
665 mm x 356 mm x 714 mm

B: KW181
510mm x 595mm x 761mm with casters
Answered on 8/4/2014 by KG
DJ Tecniq 6:57 AM - 29 September, 2014
And here are measurements of both 18" subs. That is the answer I was given on pro sound in comparing them.

A: Preference is relative but I will say that there's never a clear cut winner when comparing these two.

EV-ETX 18SP:
Height: 550 mm (21.65")
Width: 675 mm (26.57")
Depth: 910 mm (35.83")
Weight: 51.8 kg (114.2 lbs)

QSC KW181
510mm x 595mm x 761mm with casters
83 lb (37.6 kg)
Answered on 8/4/2014 by KG
dj_soo 8:33 AM - 29 September, 2014
that kw181 will perform so much better than the ksub. I feel like the ksub isn't really decent unless you get two of em which is more than the cost of a 181...
DJ Tecniq 9:07 AM - 29 September, 2014
Quote:
that kw181 will perform so much better than the ksub. I feel like the ksub isn't really decent unless you get two of em which is more than the cost of a 181...
Agreed the KW181 has more throw in bass response. The Ksub is decent it just lacks more low end bass. It's loud but it does lack that's why I'm considering trading mine in. I run a QSC ksub with 2 QSC K10's to my Pioneer DJM-700 and it sounds great but once that bass starts hitting real low it will peak out. This is why subs with built in fans are so handy. I've heard of EV ELX's completely shutting off due to overheating. The newer ones prob don't have that problem.
deejdave 11:40 PM - 29 September, 2014
If the kw181 indeed does fit I will gladly get rid of the spare or whatever. Sometimes I travel distances and using the Altima would be great. I guess I should make sure the 08 Altima and '12 has the same size trunk LOL.
dj_soo 2:43 AM - 30 September, 2014
one of my small regular spots uses the KSub. Really not that impressed by the performance - especially considering how much you pay...
DJ Tecniq 3:05 AM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
one of my small regular spots uses the KSub. Really not that impressed by the performance - especially considering how much you pay...
The main problem with it is the sub hits hard and peaks fast. If it's at 12 o clock it will drain power from the tops incredibly. Half the time I can't even run it at 12 o clock cause it's hitting so hard. I keep it up 2 or 3 notches and it usually handles well but for really low bass the limiter will engage and the sound will get lower which doesn't happen to often. It is a great sub if you know how to tweak it but it does not have bass like the KW181 that's why I really want to trade mine. I did a prom last yr and laid the sub flat underneath the table. The sub was hitting so hard it would move almost to the end of the table because of the bass vibration.
DJ Tecniq 3:07 AM - 30 September, 2014
The Ksub itself is LOUD I will definitely give it that but the bass does not travel far enough like the KW181 can.
dj_soo 3:30 AM - 30 September, 2014
sounds more like you're hitting the natural limitations of your system.

The sub peaking shouldn't affect your tops at all.

If you're peaking out - it means you're not bringing enough sound for the gig and that just reinforces my opinion that the KSUB really isn't all that great a sub.

From my experience with the ksub, I wouldn't use it for more than 100 people tops.
DJ Tecniq 5:00 AM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
sounds more like you're hitting the natural limitations of your system.

The sub peaking shouldn't affect your tops at all.

If you're peaking out - it means you're not bringing enough sound for the gig and that just reinforces my opinion that the KSUB really isn't all that great a sub.

From my experience with the ksub, I wouldn't use it for more than 100 people tops.
interesting. It can def handle well over 100 ppl. And yes since the tops connect to the sub you will notice strain on the system during heavy bass use. Just certain songs with tons of bass will do that.
dj_soo 5:06 AM - 30 September, 2014
If it's straining your tops too, I would think that's just your overall system going into limit.
DJ Tecniq 5:36 AM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
If it's straining your tops too, I would think that's just your overall system going into limit.
Yeah the higher the sub is the harder it is on the entire system also they are only K10's. A ksub should not even be past 12 o clock it's too much. Same with the KW181 which is one of the subs at my venue I've never put it past 12 o clock cause it just pounds. That's what the master board is for. But damn the KW181 for how small it is really bangs! In deep mode it's twice as good!
dj_soo 5:44 AM - 30 September, 2014
are you running your tops in high-pass mode? No reason heavy sub should strain your tops unless you are running them in full-range.
DJ Tecniq 6:01 AM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
are you running your tops in high-pass mode? No reason heavy sub should strain your tops unless you are running them in full-range.
I run the tops in deep mode for more bass as well as the sub. Not familiar with high-pass mode? I connect the sub directly to my mixers main XLR and the sub out to my tops. I run them flat...the vocal boost is def not needed it's like way too much treble.
dj_soo 7:38 AM - 30 September, 2014
don't do that.

That's exactly the reason you're experiencing limiting in your tops when deep bass hits.

When using subs, you want to high-pass your tops (ext. sub mode on the Kseries). What this does is cut off the tops at 100hz and lets your subwoofer(s) take on the low end.

I'm not sure if the KSUB has a built in crossover or not, but if it does, you should still have your tops in normal or high pass mode.

The subwoofer is there to handle the low frequencies in your sound. If you set your tops to deep mode, what you're doing is overlapping certain frequencies - probably the 55hz - 100hz range. What this does is lead to mudiness (think about DJing with both tracks having their basslines on full), or cancellation. Cancellation happens when different sound sources are producing similar frequencies at the same time. Due to placement, the sound waves can actually cancel each other out leading to less bass.

You want your tops concentrating on the high frequencies and your sub(s) concentrating on the low frequencies. You'll also get more volume out of your tops since low end takes more power and can engage the limiter sooner.

Try using your system with the tops in ext. sub mode and you'll get a cleaner sound.
DJ Tecniq 9:25 AM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
don't do that.

That's exactly the reason you're experiencing limiting in your tops when deep bass hits.

When using subs, you want to high-pass your tops (ext. sub mode on the Kseries). What this does is cut off the tops at 100hz and lets your subwoofer(s) take on the low end.

I'm not sure if the KSUB has a built in crossover or not, but if it does, you should still have your tops in normal or high pass mode.

The subwoofer is there to handle the low frequencies in your sound. If you set your tops to deep mode, what you're doing is overlapping certain frequencies - probably the 55hz - 100hz range. What this does is lead to mudiness (think about DJing with both tracks having their basslines on full), or cancellation. Cancellation happens when different sound sources are producing similar frequencies at the same time. Due to placement, the sound waves can actually cancel each other out leading to less bass.

You want your tops concentrating on the high frequencies and your sub(s) concentrating on the low frequencies. You'll also get more volume out of your tops since low end takes more power and can engage the limiter sooner.

Try using your system with the tops in ext. sub mode and you'll get a cleaner sound.
Good suggestion i will definitely try this when i dj a homecoming dance in late october. I believe I even turned the switch to ext sub and there wasn't really a difference. Maybe I did it wrong but you're right i should run the tops in normal mode and let the sub handle the lows. I didn't know what ext sub was really used for but now it makes so much sense. Thanks!
dj_soo 9:33 AM - 30 September, 2014
You should only run the tops in normal mode if you can confirm that ksub has a built in crossover. Otherwise run in ext. sub mode.
DJ Tecniq 10:00 AM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
You should only run the tops in normal mode if you can confirm that ksub has a built in crossover. Otherwise run in ext. sub mode.
i googled it many are saying it does have a built in crossover already.
DJ Remy USA 1:01 PM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For the record I drive a 08' Altima Coupe and without the spare tire in the trunk my QSC Ksub fits perfectly I actually have room in the front to even put 3 speaker stands. It has wheels so i just roll it all the way back and lay it down. I am actually considering trading my ksub for the KW181 but just as you I'm not sure if it will fit like my ksub does.

The Ksub is a lot smaller that KW is really big. I drive an Altima as well, for now I use a sound guy who has van to haul around my gear because I cant fit it in my car.
DJ Remy USA 1:04 PM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:

I only like them when you put a pair side by side and they are really for small events 200 or less. I dont like them in any other application.
Joee 1:06 PM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
The Ksub is a lot smaller that KW is really big. I drive an Altima as well, for now I use a sound guy who has van to haul around my gear because I cant fit it in my car.

you got to learn how to play real life tetris bro…..lol

back when my system was passive i fit everything in a 98 accord coup, everything sub speaker tt's amp rack records etc. my back seats came down which helped
DJ Remy USA 1:07 PM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
I run the tops in deep mode for more bass as well as the sub. Not familiar with high-pass mode? I connect the sub directly to my mixers main XLR and the sub out to my tops. I run them flat...the vocal boost is def not needed it's like way too much treble.

No deep mode when you are running a full range system. In fact this is likely the cause of pre mature limiting. Send all that bass to the subs and let your tops handle the Hi's and mid range.
DJ Remy USA 1:12 PM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

back when my system was passive i fit everything in a 98 accord coup, everything sub speaker tt's amp rack records etc. my back seats came down which helped

I already do it but its not feasible for a long term especially if when you start talking about transporting 2 18 subs and 12 inch tops turntables mixer, speaker stands, lights, cables, etc. That altima fills up real quick. In pinch I use it but my mobiles have been growing a lot the parties keep getting bigger I just did 1200 people 2 weeks ago at a mobile I had some serious sound and lights in there no way my Altima can handle my mobiles at this point. But yea anyways

Does anyone own the CW P1800SX and use them frequently?
rayjthedj 12:10 AM - 1 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
i googled it many are saying it does have a built in crossover already.

I suggest you buy the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook if you are serious about your DJ sound and want to learn how to get the best sound out of your equipment.

Selection of the right components, placement of those components in the listening area and how you distribute the frequencies to your speakers will make you stand out or drop out among your peers.

I have seen a lot of DJs with what would seem like a very small sound system, absolutely destroy DJs with a lot of large equipment, because they educated themselves on what is in the book I recommended above.
Mr.Jace 4:46 PM - 21 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I already do it but its not feasible for a long term especially if when you start talking about transporting 2 18 subs and 12 inch tops turntables mixer, speaker stands, lights, cables, etc. That altima fills up real quick. In pinch I use it but my mobiles have been growing a lot the parties keep getting bigger I just did 1200 people 2 weeks ago at a mobile I had some serious sound and lights in there no way my Altima can handle my mobiles at this point. But yea anyways

Does anyone own the CW P1800SX and use them frequently?

I know this forum is a few months old, so what subs did you decided on? I have spent some time with that cv p1800sx. Personally, i would not recommend it.
DJ Remy USA 5:11 PM - 21 January, 2015
ended up going with the EV SBA 760s they are old but sound great and kick ass
DJ GaFFle 5:13 PM - 21 January, 2015
Quote:
ended up going with the EV SBA 760s they are old but sound great and kick ass

They kick MAJOR ass for a 15" sub. I have the 750's.
DJ Remy USA 5:20 PM - 21 January, 2015
Yes they do Gaffle I got really lucky because they are discontinued I got them from a buddy who didnt want me buying shit speakers anymore and sold me his old SBA 760s he's got the new ETX line and QSC's Kw series so he wasnt using them as much anymore.
Taipanic 5:31 PM - 21 January, 2015
Used to rent a pair of the 760s when first replacing my P.A.. Great subs, the ETX15 is the updated version, as far as quality & performance goes.
DJ GaFFle 8:54 PM - 21 January, 2015
Quote:
Used to rent a pair of the 760s when first replacing my P.A.. Great subs, the ETX15 is the updated version, as far as quality & performance goes.

How do they sound in comparison to one another? I will say, just because it's newer, doesn't equate to better... case in point: KW181 vs HPR181i. HPR wins in sound but loses in weight. Same thing with K12 vs. HPR122.
DJ Remy USA 9:00 PM - 21 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

How do they sound in comparison to one another? I will say, just because it's newer, doesn't equate to better... case in point: KW181 vs HPR181i. HPR wins in sound but loses in weight. Same thing with K12 vs. HPR122.

Iv heard both subs here is my opinion

The ETX sub is fucking huge compared to the SBA series.
The ETX requires a little more expertise to operate
The ETX bass can be heard further away from the sub compared to the SBA
ETX doesnt feel as punchy as the SBA
ETX has more bottom end you can feel

SBA is still great in fact its a little to great for its size and think thats why they discountinued the product because its a little too good kinda like the Technic its so good nothing is really wrong with it. Just my opinion
Asu 10:16 PM - 27 January, 2016
got a chance to use one of the cerwin vega P1800SX...the Sub is deep...used only one with two 15 PRX 715 Tops...i was very impressed...it has a deep mode that's deeper than the QSC...so it's like the 718XLF vs KW181 sound.

I don't like the finish though,it's less durable than the KW & JBL PRX700s....but the sound doesn't break up even at loud spl...just make sure VEGABOOST/Deep mode is off at higher SPLs.
DJ Remy USA 3:11 PM - 2 February, 2016
Quote:
got a chance to use one of the cerwin vega P1800SX...the Sub is deep...used only one with two 15 PRX 715 Tops...i was very impressed...it has a deep mode that's deeper than the QSC...so it's like the 718XLF vs KW181 sound.

I don't like the finish though,it's less durable than the KW & JBL PRX700s....but the sound doesn't break up even at loud spl...just make sure VEGABOOST/Deep mode is off at higher SPLs.

thanks for the review I was looking for.
DJ.Tyme 9:51 AM - 21 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

So DJ Remy USA what did u ever decide on ? i ask because im on the fence right now about buying two cerwin vega P1800sx or Yamaha DSR 118w ?
dj_soo 11:22 PM - 21 February, 2016
look at the Yamaha DXR18 over the DSR118
DJ.Tyme 1:45 AM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:

i did look into the Yamaha DXS18 and looks like a nice monster, but with that monster price tag :-(
Joee 1:53 AM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

i did look into the Yamaha DXS18 and looks like a nice monster, but with that monster price tag :-(

you think so? you can find it for $1,050…….not bad considering what your getting
DJ Remy USA 10:25 PM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So DJ Remy USA what did u ever decide on ? i ask because im on the fence right now about buying two cerwin vega P1800sx or Yamaha DSR 118w ?

For the money I guess you cannot go wrong with these but Im still on the fence about new Cerwin Vega stuff. Im not brightest when it comes to live audio but I just really want to add some low end. I have not purchased anything yet but Im actually leaning toward the EV EKX sub series since I already have EV tops
Scully DJ Services 11:06 PM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:
but Im actually leaning toward the EV EKX sub series since I already have EV tops

A single ETX18SP will beat several EKX18SPs. IMO best options on the market in this range right now are DXS18 and Yorkville LS801P.
Asu 11:30 PM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:
A single ETX18SP will beat several EKX18SPs. IMO best options on the market in this range right now are DXS18 and Yorkville LS801P.

KW181 for portability and decent sound...most DJ's hate the weight of the LS801P...me inclusive
Scully DJ Services 12:26 AM - 23 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

KW181 for portability and decent sound...most DJ's hate the weight of the LS801P...me inclusive

ETX18SP kills KW181 in areas of depth of sound, volume, features, and overall sound quality. I would imagine that the DXS18 is quite a bit better as well. As for weight of the Yorkie, yeah its heavy, but if it can give me volume comparable to 2 or more other boxes then its a solid win for me.
DJ Remy USA 2:59 PM - 24 February, 2016
The EKX is perfect for me though. I dont have space for that ETX in my car so its not very practical. The EKX is great mid range sub and thats where Im at I have mid range tops to the ELX 115.
Scully DJ Services 3:32 PM - 24 February, 2016
Can you not fit an ETX15SP?
SG SOUNDS 5:48 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
The EKX is perfect for me though. I dont have space for that ETX in my car so its not very practical. The EKX is great mid range sub and thats where Im at I have mid range tops to the ELX 115.

take a lokk at the etx15sp subs they are small and compact and packs a punch...just got 2 for my small set up...im using them with my dxr15's which did me very well in small gigs but sometimes even my small gigs can get hectic so i added 2 etx15 subs to go along with them...my small set up kicks ass now with some low punchy bass that sounds like 18inch subs and maaaad headroom..
DJ Remy USA 5:59 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:

Yes I can but all the weight isnt necessary for me. When I need more power I just call my production company. I need light and powerful and the EKX does that for me, not that the ETX isnt powerful cause it is but it isnt light and extra money I'll save getting the EKX they arent slouch speakers by any stretch from what Ive demo'd
DJ Val-BKNY11203 6:05 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Yes I can but all the weight isnt necessary for me. When I need more power I just call my production company. I need light and powerful and the EKX does that for me, not that the ETX isnt powerful cause it is but it isnt light and extra money I'll save getting the EKX they arent slouch speakers by any stretch from what Ive demo'd

I went to listen to them this weekend. For the price & size they are good. I did think the KW181 was better than it, but they price for that is still way too high.
Asu 6:04 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
I did think the KW181 was better than it, but they price for that is still way too high.

that's cause people love it's size vs sound and still buy it in droves to this day...it's very satisfying and easy to move around...the thing fits in a sports car with two 10 or 12 Tops.
dj_soo 10:21 PM - 3 August, 2016
I'm curious if anyone has actual experience with these subs.

I think it's finally time to upgrade my subs from my nx720s's but since our dollar is complete shit these days, everything has shot up in price. The kw181 , etx15sp, and jbl 718xlf are all $1600+ now in Canada (used be able to get those for $1300 or less) so I'm kind of stuck looking at some of the newer yorkville parasource subs ($1300 for the 15") or this cerwin vega (which is $1000).

I get that it doesn't have the rep of more established brands, but I'm wondering how it compares to a pair of nx720s's.

I have experience with the yorkvilles which sound good, get pretty loud, and throw a lot further than the nx720s's but they don't have nearly the customization and control of the older elite subs (fixed xover, only one input/passthrough, no boost) and don't go as low (45hz cutoff).

I need something I can fit in the backseat of my car so compact is essential.
Joee 10:45 PM - 3 August, 2016
what is the yamaha dxs18 going for? if it's in your price range get it, they go for $1,100 out here

that thing sh!ts all over the kw181 etx15 & jbl prx718
DJ Remy USA 11:10 PM - 3 August, 2016
Quote:
what is the yamaha dxs18 going for? if it's in your price range get it, they go for $1,100 out here

Those yamaha's do sound good I wouldnt get these Cerwin Vegas if you can grab these for nearly the same price.
dj_soo 11:11 PM - 3 August, 2016
They're about $1600 here but it's much more sub than anything else in that price range

The issue is whether I can fit one of those in the backseat of my Camry...

If I got that tho, I'd probably also want to invest in a ps12s since the dxs18 seems like a bit of a beast to lug to smaller parties and my dxr10s won't cut it standalone.
DJ Remy USA 11:13 PM - 3 August, 2016
not sure about the size in camry. I demoed them a GC, I still have not heard the Cerwin Vegas myself and reviews are few and there is no where to demo them around here so I have no clue if you are getting a good sub or not.
dj_soo 11:23 PM - 3 August, 2016
Next time I head to the music shop, maybe ill demo it and a/b it against the ps15s's.
Joee 11:24 PM - 3 August, 2016
Quote:
The issue is whether I can fit one of those in the backseat of my Camry...

you could out a tow hitch on the back of the camry and attach this

www.google.com
Joee 11:25 PM - 3 August, 2016
could put a ^
Joee 11:27 PM - 3 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Those yamaha's do sound good I wouldnt get these Cerwin Vegas if you can grab these for nearly the same price.

they are like mini ls801p's they are beast

i think the Best system for the money ($2,000) you can get right now is two dxr12 & 1 dxs18
dj_soo 11:32 PM - 3 August, 2016
I run dxr 10s and 8s right now just for space (sold my k12s for the 8s)

I would absolutely love a dxs18, but it ultimately depends if I can transport it. Trailer hitch won't work cause I really don't have a spot to store it. Hell, if I had a teaser hitch, I'd probably just get an 801p or even the 2100p
dj_soo 11:34 PM - 3 August, 2016
Anyway, I'll have a demo of the thing and report back. Leaning towards the yorkville's anyway since it's easier to scale via our local rental spot (all they stock are yorkvilles)
Taipanic 1:56 PM - 4 August, 2016
While not very deep, the EV ZXa5 does well for weddings and small pub areas. Hits above it's weight for it's size. You could fit two in a camry.
Taipanic 1:57 PM - 4 August, 2016
Quote:
While not very deep, the EV ZXa5 does well for weddings and small pub areas. Hits above it's weight for it's size. You could fit two in a camry.

EV ZXa1 sub, I mean.
Asu 11:38 PM - 4 August, 2016
Quote:
I get that it doesn't have the rep of more established brands, but I'm wondering how it compares to a pair of nx720s's.

Dude,i do have the Sub and many are speaking from ignorance...the sub is Deep and sounds as good as the PRX718XLF....it's that good...it's limit light comes on early though but it doesn't affect the sound output in anyway...I've owned for 2 years,No problems...comes with casters too...it has a habit of walking if on polished surface...the 4 feet aren't the best,you can change them to rubber ones that stay put no matter what.

So get the PSX1800 or the Yamaha DSX 18" if it's the same price...warranty favors Yamaha 7 years vs 3 years from Cerwin Vega
Asu 11:42 PM - 4 August, 2016
FYI,if you don't tune JBL subs PRX718 or the New SRX powered sub,they don't sound anywhere near what they can do.

I use a driverack PX and there's no way i'll ever use my speakers without it...the difference is Night and day....even when i just use the 15 Prx715's the sound is 3x as good with proper tuning with the drive rack...i always get compliments about the sound.
DJKayce 1:57 AM - 5 August, 2016
hey i don't mean to jack this tread. since some of u guys heard the Yamaha DXS18. Do u guys think 2 dxs18 can equal to 1 Yorkville Ls801p in output or 2 Rcf 708-as Mk2 can equal to 1 Ls801p.

What of Yamaha dxs18 vs Rcf 708-as mk2?
dj_soo 11:10 PM - 5 August, 2016
Quote:
Dude,i do have the Sub

how many people do you think a single can handle? How far does the bass throw?

I'll probably get a demo of it on monday when I head to the shop to return some gear.

Still leaning towards the PS15S subs, which while listed spec-wise doesn't quite compete, I really like the long-throw driver that seems to produce a lot more coverage than the average sub.

That and the end game is to get 2-3 of them which I can easily find the PS15S in my city, while the CV is a little harder to come by and retails about $1600 brand new on amazon.
Asu 3:59 PM - 8 August, 2016
Quote:
how many people do you think a single can handle? How far does the bass throw?

It throws pretty far especially if you use 2...i did a wedding for about 250 in a tent with one and 2 12" EV ETX tops,had to turn down the bass a couple of times...but you could hear the bass even in the restrooms which were in a building outside...some thought it was 2 subs...it hits real low...but like i said the Yamaha has a better warranty at 7 years,I'd buy that if given the choice today...i don't know how loud it gets with 1020W though.

The PS15S won't go as Low or loud...an 18" woofer pushes more air...plus the P1800X will go down to 35Hz...that's where good deep bass notes are....i'd say get the Yamaha 18",or cerwin Vega or the JBL PRX718 which has dropped to $849-899 here...you'll be happy with the low output...
Asu 4:03 PM - 8 August, 2016
FYI Pioneer is releasing a dual 15" in a few weeks for $1599 Pioneer XPRS215S Dual 15" Subwoofer...JBL is also coming out with new stuff and others,don't know if you wanna wait for further price drops on older gear
dj_soo 3:49 AM - 10 August, 2016
biggest issue is size.

my experience with the PS15S's is they seem to outperform what the listed specs suggest and they throw pretty damn far for a 15" compact sub.

The other advantage for me is that I can rent them from my local shop and scale as needed.

The P1800SX is only available as the single, so I'd need to order another one in at full price ($1600 here in canada) so they end up actually costing more for a pair than a pair of PS15Ss.

That said, I still need to do an A/B test with them and see how they measure up.

The DXS18 looks mighty tempting too, but I'd need to be sure I can fit one in my car...

Our dollar is just super weak right now and anything that's not canadian made is just ridiculously expensive right now (for instance, the PRX718XLF is $2000 brand new).
Asu 11:49 AM - 10 August, 2016
Quote:
That said, I still need to do an A/B test with them and see how they measure up.

That's the best way IMHO.that way you'll be sure about what you're getting.

The PS15S spec wise looks like a decent 15" sub...just know you won't get that deep bass...its frequency range is 45hz-100Hz...look for something Canadian that can go as low as 35hz at least at -/+ 3db.

The NX720S seems to go lower to 40Hz...plus is 128db continuous unlike the PS15S @ 126db...that means it has a better driver in there since the PS15S has a 2000W amp vs 1500 for the NX720S.

NX720S is also only 77lbs :-) ....PS15S seems a little smaller footprint though.
dj_soo 10:17 PM - 10 August, 2016
I honestly think the specs on the nx720x are juked a bit. I have a pair and they sound great if you're right in front of them, but that bass dissipates pretty quickly. I've used as many of 4 of them and unless you have a small room you can corner load well, it's just quite enough oomph for bigger rooms.

My initial impressions of the PS15S were the same as yours - specs look lower so why bother? But after some experience playing on them, I've definitely changed my tune.

The PS12S especially is impressive for the small size and weight to power and throw ratio.

When I get to the store, I'm going to run a sine wave test just to see how low the 15s can get since the 15S and the 18S still list a 45hz cutoff - same as the 12" sub, but I wonder if the curve is steeper on the smaller subs than the larger ones.
dj_soo 10:20 PM - 10 August, 2016
also, there simply aren't any quality Canadian sound companies that aren't Yorkville unfortunately.

I could always wait and hope our dollar spikes up again (or your dollar plummets).

I'm still kicking myself for not picking up the KW181 I saw one sale for $1000 a few months back. Brand new in Canada, they are now $1800 which is ridiculous.
Asu 5:39 PM - 11 August, 2016
If you feel it throws better then go with what makes you happy soundwise....i too like playing on sound that makes me smile...also check polarity of the subs when you use em together...some may need you to flip that polarity switch to 180 to get that sound you want.
dj_soo 11:59 PM - 18 August, 2016
Gave the box a listen in the store the other day - didn't get a chance to A/B it with the PS15S (the other sub i'm considering) as they didn't have any available and didn't get a chance to do a proper sine wave test, but it sounded good. Clean, low, pretty loud although the conditions weren't great to hear how well it throws. It's pretty tempting considering I really don't want to shell out $1800 for a single KW181.

It's a super-light box at 77 lbs which is easily manageable for one person, but the lightness also gives it a less-than-solid feel compared to say my NX720S boxes which come in at 3 lbs lighter.

The crossover passthrough is not adjustable and sits at 80 hz. Fine if I were pairing it with 12" or 15" tops, but since I'd be using 10" tops, I'd like the crossover to sit a little closer to the 100hz range. Which means I have to bring my driverack to every gig (which I do for larger parties anyway).

Ideally, I'd like 2 of them so I guess seeing if 2 fit in my back seat is the biggest determining factor.

I know that up to 3 ps15s's will fit in my car plus I can purchase 2 of them and rent a 3rd as needed, but that 45hz cutoff just doesn't seem low enough to me.

As I can't rent the P1800SX, I might just buy it for a test drive and return if I decide I don't like it....
Asu 11:21 AM - 19 August, 2016
Quote:
As I can't rent the P1800SX, I might just buy it for a test drive and return if I decide I don't like it....

Good to hear...it does throw pretty well in my opinion...i personally always have my drive rack...it's small enough to carry and makes a world of difference.

I think this sub is your best bet....it goes real low even when playing at full volume...2 of them would be insane...i only have one...Cerwin Vega is historically the king of serious yet affordable subs.

I use 12 or 15 tops so the 80Hz cut off is perfect for me...was gonna get a second one but the PRX718XLF is now the same price,sounds as good but has a better finish.

you can order a cover for the Cerwin Vega sub too,paint easily chips off if you're not careful.
dj_soo 5:38 AM - 24 August, 2016
Turns out the EV EKX18SP is cheaper than the P1800SX, goes lower, has virtually the same dimensions, and has a better warranty and of course is an EV.

May go that route, although I'd like to hear it first...
Taipanic 1:53 PM - 24 August, 2016
Quote:
Turns out the EV EKX18SP is cheaper than the P1800SX, goes lower, has virtually the same dimensions, and has a better warranty and of course is an EV.

I have heard both and I would go with the EV. I think it is a good, middle of the line, prosumer sub - used within its recommended limits, sounds good and is reliable. I've heard of some people having issues with the CVs but don't know if it they were pushed too hard (user error).
Asu 5:16 PM - 24 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I have heard both and I would go with the EV. I think it is a good, middle of the line, prosumer sub - used within its recommended limits, sounds good and is reliable. I've heard of some people having issues with the CVs but don't know if it they were pushed too hard (user error).

If they sound the same,then it's a no brainer...never had an issue with the CV's i have....remember,most DJ's no nothing about running clean sound out the mixer,that's been my experience so of course powered speakers will go into protection mode...but the EV seems like a better deal.
Asu 5:21 PM - 24 August, 2016
i mean know nothing...
Asu 5:33 PM - 24 August, 2016
The Box of the EKX is the smallest...don't think it'll throw far enough or go low enough when you turn it up but have a listen...and see what you think,some have said the EKX limits fast...but compare both and decide...so sad you can't get the JBL 718XLF which is cheaper & sounds better than both.
dj_soo 3:17 PM - 26 August, 2016
Yea, I just wish our dollar wasn't so shit, otherwise I could be looking at JBL, qsc, or rcf options. For some reason, ev gear is actually still reasonable here.

The other option would be to go all out and get etx15sps which is more than I want to spend, but is more of a true upgrade rather than staying in the mid-level of subs. Guess I gotta think about things...
dj_soo 3:18 PM - 26 August, 2016
Actually, nm - just took a look at the is prices of the etx subs - I'm getting gouged :/
Asu 3:24 PM - 26 August, 2016
Quote:
Yea, I just wish our dollar wasn't so shit, otherwise I could be looking at JBL, qsc, or rcf options. For some reason, ev gear is actually still reasonable here.

The other option would be to go all out and get etx15sps which is more than I want to spend, but is more of a true upgrade rather than staying in the mid-level of subs. Guess I gotta think about things...

EV is good though...you just have to run clean sound...i used my cheap ZLX 12" and the CV 18" this past weekend for 100 people...was loud enough,no limit issues...Hi-passed the tops.

I've found that when people say something,we need to know their background or see how they use their gear...this is very hard to determine so a lot of decent gear gets a bad rep...most Dj's like I've told you,don't run clean sound,so they blow things up or overdrive them....just get the EV-ETX15's ,they sound better than lower priced 18's...get a payment plan if possible...that's how i do it for quality gear.
JDforKing 6:22 PM - 26 August, 2016

EV is good though...you just have to run clean sound...i used my cheap ZLX 12" and the CV 18" this past weekend for 100 people...was loud enough,no limit issues...Hi-passed the tops.

Was this for a wedding?
Asu 6:28 PM - 26 August, 2016
Quote:

Was this for a wedding?

Sweet 16 :-) Birthday...but venue does small weddings there too for 80-100
Asu 6:34 PM - 26 August, 2016
FYI,Cerwin vega has a "Vega Boost" mode that's insane,kinda like QSC's Deep mode...crazy amount of bass when it's on at low volumes...at normal high levels,you turned it off to prevent limiting...The bass was almost too much lol...i noticed the Speaker makes a pop whenu turn it on, even when the sub volume is all the way down...the EV Tops don't do that,they're silent as should be...so i'd say EV has better Amps...EKS maybe a good bet or ETX 15" for serious lows
JDforKing 6:57 PM - 26 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Was this for a wedding?

Sweet 16 :-) Birthday...but venue does small weddings there too for 80-100

I've always been curious to know how the zlx12p's sounds when it's run with a sub. They are crazy cheap and i may pick up a pair to have as an inexpensive speaker for smaller gigs, but i doubt they sound better than my yamaha dxr8s when used with a sub.
Asu 3:04 PM - 29 August, 2016
Quote:
I've always been curious to know how the zlx12p's sounds when it's run with a sub. They are crazy cheap and i may pick up a pair to have as an inexpensive speaker for smaller gigs, but i doubt they sound better than my yamaha dxr8s when used with a sub.

It's EV bro,they make the best horns in the industry.sound amazing...i also had the world renown SX300 that i just sold...the ZLX's sound as good and you can tune the sound to your liking with the built in settings.

For small gigs,they're more than enough...12's will always sound better than a 10" or 8" speaker...they fill out the mids better...get the EV bags for them too,the plastic scratches easily...they're also great as on stage monitors...i use them for that for small performances...200-300 pple.
dj_soo 8:41 PM - 22 September, 2017
Just picked up a CVX18s for like $700 ($570 usd).

Will give it a test run tomorrow at my last wedding to see how it holds up.

Was pretty set in getting a more reputable speaker like a yorkville or EV, but for the price, it was a little too good to pass up. If it doesn’t perform up to standards, I’ll probably just return it.
Asu 7:08 PM - 23 September, 2017
Quote:
Just picked up a CVX18s for like $700 ($570 usd).

Will give it a test run tomorrow at my last wedding to see how it holds up.

Was pretty set in getting a more reputable speaker like a yorkville or EV, but for the price, it was a little too good to pass up. If it doesn’t perform up to standards, I’ll probably just return it.

i use the CVX18's and they keep up well with my PRX712/715 and RCF HD12-A MK4...it's def better than the EKX line
Asu 7:17 PM - 23 September, 2017
The RCF HD12-A MK4, are out of this world via clarity and voice/instrument separation...had never used RCF before.RCF is now using their tour sound DSP in these.they immediately let u know if you're playing a low quality ripped Mp3 like never before..I'm def sold on these ( or the HD 32-A with 3" HF driver which wasn't in stock) for tops going forward.