DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Coffin Vs. Cases

mexicannnnnn 11:36 PM - 21 April, 2006
I currently own a Road Ready RRDJ10 in battle mode. This thing its a bit of a pain to carry around... specially with 1 person its almost impossible.

So I was thinking of selling it and grabbing 2 cases. Actually I have one Oddessy case so I would just need to buy another one.

So do you guys think I should stick with the coffin or move to cases.

Coffin
---
Pro: Fits 2 TTs and a mixer, all cords already set up, holds extra cables, mic..etc.
Con: Too big, hard to carry with 2 people...even harder with one, doesnt fit in small cars.

Cases
---
Pro: Easy to carry, very mobile.. I can bring them on the subway (just hope I dont get mugged).
Con: Have to carry mixer in my DJ bag, more setup time.
djxatl 11:39 PM - 21 April, 2006
cases are the best, get a folding hand truck. there are road ready cases (i forget the model) that snap together and become a roll away. also I'd recommend a mixer case, just stack the 3 boxes on a hand truck and you're good to go.
mister iLL 12:11 AM - 22 April, 2006
everybody i know who has a coffin HATES it. for just two tables and a mixer, i don't feel like the difference in the setup time, as far as the cables go, is worth the hassle of having to lug around that damn thing. you can always get a mixer case if you're just worried about the mixer getting damaged...
djxatl 12:22 AM - 22 April, 2006
i always feel cool setting up my tables haha!
djxatl 12:24 AM - 22 April, 2006
i did use coffins during my cdj days, but it was a lot lighter and smaller, TT's are a different story
mexicannnnnn 1:52 AM - 22 April, 2006
I was thinking of getting a battle bridge instead of a mixer case.
Dj Karl-R 1:56 AM - 22 April, 2006
i like cases yea you gotta carry more but they are just overall a better deal and protect your gear better also.
DJK 3:31 AM - 22 April, 2006
Cases for the win, and brownie points for the ttm 57 making setup time even quicker!
DjRekTek 4:11 AM - 22 April, 2006
I think if you dont mind taking the time to set up, then go for cases. I on the other hand use a coffin. Of course I have made some mods to my coffin to hold everything I need. 2 Numark TT-1's, 19" mixer, Alesis effects processor, Numark CDN-36, 1 Eliminator lighting 8 Channel lighting Controller, 1 Chauvet 16 Channel Lighting Controller, Modded Microphone Flex Gooseneck Stalk.SSL Interface box. This thing does tip the scales at more than 200+pounds, It does take 2 people to get it on my dolley, but once it is on the dolley it is nothing more than a push to get it were it is needed. Every since I have been in the Mobile Dj biz I have learned to be more efficient, also it is pretty much plug and play...like I said it all comes down to personal preference..peace
sixxx 4:33 AM - 22 April, 2006
I'll use a coffin when I die.
twinsouls 4:40 AM - 22 April, 2006
I Always associated cases with Hip Hip DJing/Turntablism. Coffins just never seemed "Hip Hop-ish" to me. I'm thinking the movie "Juice" right now.
DjWoody 4:43 AM - 22 April, 2006
I have both and there's times when using one is better than the other. I use my Anvil Cases when I do sound at big parties and I need a big set up. If I'm the only DJ, I use my Road Ready Coffin as I only use CDs and everything is prewired. BTW, my coffin has wheels, so it's easy for me to carry and it fits on my Civic! Personally, I think I prefer the Coffin for the convenience.
DjWoody 4:45 AM - 22 April, 2006
I'm with Twinsouls... I mostly use my Anvil's when I do hip hop shows, or I need a combo set up of CDs & Vinyl.
Konix 4:46 AM - 22 April, 2006
I have both cases and a coffin. I like them both. I usually have the coffin setup just at home, cases for when transporting. But yeah the coffin weights like 100 lbs. Get some wheels like DjWoody said.
twinsouls 6:07 PM - 22 April, 2006
Quote:
I'm with Twinsouls... I mostly use my Anvil's when I do hip hop shows, or I need a combo set up of CDs & Vinyl.

Yo Woody, I got some Anvils too. Grey colored but do they still make them. Now I just see like Odessy cases. Got mine next door to Exodis Records. "Exodis"-Old Shcool huh? LOL!
DjWoody 8:54 PM - 22 April, 2006
Hahaha I havent heard of Exodus in years! I used to go there all the time. I dunno if they still make Anvils or not. Mine are pretty old, and still work perfectly. I bought them back in the 90's for one reason... GUARANTEE!!! Anvil has an equipment guarantee that says that if you drop your anivls or anything happens to your equipment as a result of a faulty Anvil, they will replace your Anvil and your Equipment!
sixxx 10:29 PM - 22 April, 2006
Yeah. Anvil still makes cases. I got a pair of those (got them in '94) and a pair of roadready's that I got a couple years ago.
mexicannnnnn 10:36 PM - 22 April, 2006
Quote:
Yeah. Anvil still makes cases. I got a pair of those (got them in '94) and a pair of roadready's that I got a couple years ago.

Who is the winner between them?
JayB1200 10:50 PM - 22 April, 2006
I have a coffin for mt 1200,s but i only use it at home.
FYI-PEOPLE WHO HAVE CASES FOR CDJ1000's be careful where you put the padding on the inside of your case , my padding was pushing the 'out loop button' on my cdj' and it got stuck, i was mixing one day at home and went to loop something and as soon as i pushed the 'in loop button' my cdj just stuttered, i fliped out i did not realize what the problem was until i got ahold a authorized technition to fix my cdj witch he said it was something with my laser and it was going to cost about 180$ when he told me that i did some investigation myself and seen my 'out loop button' was stuck.. im glad i seen that before i sent it out for repair!
sixxx 1:48 AM - 23 April, 2006
Quote:

Comparing the two, the newer ones (roadready) are better. But, you have to account for the fact that the Anvils are waaay old. I have no idea how their new products are today. They're both super solid though.
twinsouls 4:00 PM - 23 April, 2006
Quote:
Yeah I guess your right---->www.anvilcase.com
djransom 6:10 PM - 23 April, 2006
I prefer cases. I have a cases for my CDJs & my Pio DJM700.
MusicMeister 6:25 AM - 24 April, 2006
Seems like most people prefer cases over coffins. I have a couple questions I'd like to throw out though...

1. Is it the weight of the coffin itself that's the problem?
Example: I have a 12U SKB case that's light as hell. I put in a 4U drawer w/ over 250CD's in it and it's heavy as hell now. The weight is the drawer, not the case. I also have a 16U vertical/12U slanted Sonic case that's heavy as hell. Of course it's hard to find a decent case that has 12U slanted (to hold a Mackie Onyx 1620). When you add that mixer (heavy), effects, CDG and SCDG players, a minidisc player/recorder, wireless mics, video switching, a tape recorder (Tascam 202 Mk III), and everything else I use for my karaoke gigs it's a hernia waiting to happen. With the second case, it starts heavy and the equipment only makes it that much worse.

2. How much time does it take you to set up, tear down w/ SSL?

3. If you could get a light coffin case, would you? or is the weight of the equipment itself too much?

4. Anyone ever seen a coffin case made from an aluminum frame w/ carbon fiber overlayed? It would be strong, provide a mount for a mixer, etc and still be fairly light. I figure a decent box like that would weigh about 5-6lbs (2-3kg) and should last pretty well. Not cheap, but it should work....
sixxx 6:31 AM - 24 April, 2006
1. The weight is the biggest problem, then comes the fact that some dj's may want to turn the turntable and can't be done with a coffin. Also, it's easier to transport when it's in separate pieces. For instance, when transporting the turntables in the trunk of a car.

2. 20 mins tops.

3. No.

4. No.
mexicannnnnn 6:32 AM - 24 April, 2006
1) Not the weight of the coffin as much as the annoyance of having to get another person to help carry it. As well the handles are positioned so that the the coffin center of mass is easily tip-able. ie. trying to make it around corners is hell.

2) with the coffin it probably takes me 2-5 mins. Just plug in my carts, thrown on my slipmats, attache the SL1 (cables are already connected), plug in power and done.

3) Not sure... its more of an awkard thing.

4) Nope.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 7:20 AM - 24 April, 2006
back when i used to roll with a posse, my (homemade) coffin was super convenient. now, i'm all by my lonesome (and driving around in a tiny honda civic hatchback), separate cases is a no-brainer.
ejayian 7:31 AM - 24 April, 2006
If its a pain to use coffin then definitely use cases, convenience is a big factor but if you hurt yourself carrying your things then whats the point......I personally use a home made coffin because I have lots of help & its faster.
DjWoody 5:49 PM - 24 April, 2006
Coffin with decks is really heavy and you need two people. Coffin with CDJs, it's light enough for me to carry alone. Well, it has wheels but it's still light enough for me to set up on the stand.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 7:32 PM - 24 April, 2006
two cats here with a compact coffin (pair denon s1000 with denon's tiny mixer)...looks super lightweight too.
DJ Rumor 7:49 PM - 24 April, 2006
I don't do as many mobile gigs anymore (mostly clubs), but I've always had cases. I stack the turntables and mixer on top, it's a great setup. Those coffins are huge, never liked them.
djxatl 7:51 PM - 24 April, 2006
i used to use cd's in a carpeted coffin with a 10" mixer, paired with a luggage cart or dolly it was perfect

too bad i love the feel of vinyl
punosion 9:38 PM - 24 April, 2006
That's what I was about to ask...what about something like a Calzone case like this:

www.turntablelab.com

For a 10" mixer and two CDJ's. Wouldn't think it would be too much wider than 3 feet, no?
DjWoody 9:45 PM - 24 April, 2006
That's exactly like mine... This is the one I have except mine is the 19" mixer version.

www.pssl.com

www.pssl.com
punosion 2:48 AM - 25 April, 2006
I've been drooling over the Xone:32, so I think that one I posted would be right up my alley...would the coffin-haters really see a big size/weight problem with this style?
DJ Nevoc 3:07 AM - 25 April, 2006
Just ordered a Coffin today and a pair of cdj-800s, I have an 05 jeep cherokee, so the coffin is a no brainer.

<Smirk> For all the people that dont live in Cali, Drive an SUV!! Oh Wait I Forgot You either drive an SUV or one of those Hybrids...

J/king of course!!!

Peace
DJ Nevoc 3:10 AM - 25 April, 2006
Mine isnt shown on the website but looks similar to this.

www.pssl.com

I ordered the one for the 12" mixer
CMS 5:55 AM - 29 November, 2006
Just out of curiosity, about how much does a coffin weigh. I own cd players which aren't nearly as heavy as turn tables so I'm really considering a coffin.
Konix 6:08 AM - 29 November, 2006
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, about how much does a coffin weigh.

Empty? Anywhere between 10-20 lbs.
Dj Medley 6:22 AM - 29 November, 2006
I have a half coffin and a case. The half coffin holds one turntable and my mixer. Then a single case for the other turntable. It's pretty heavy, but all my equipment is safe and set up time is quicker and hey, I'm not carrying too many records nowadays thanks to serato.
CMS 6:42 AM - 29 November, 2006
I can see where moving a coffin with two turntables would be a bitch, but I think I'll be ok with cd players.
Dj KaGeN 5:49 PM - 29 November, 2006
does anyone know where to find a 2 TT case (NOT battlestyle) and fits a 57 mixer ??
dj kiss 6:19 PM - 29 November, 2006
Own both coffin and road cases, i go 90% the time with the road cases. smaller, easier to carry, looks way cooler, good protection.
Jonny Thrice 3:58 PM - 30 November, 2006
I've used a large coffin to transport my gear before (2 1200's and a NUO5)....BAD IDEA! You need two people to get it in and out of your car (luckily, I had a Mazda 6 Wagon), and to put the thing on a table.

The BEST solution out there is this double case by Road Ready. It's two TT cases that stick together. One has wheels and a handle, and the other one sits on top, so you can wheel around both of them at the same time. Then just seperate like normal cases. This way, you can wheel around two TT's in one hand, and carry your mixer bag/case in the other AND have a backpack on for records/laptop.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 4:11 PM - 30 November, 2006
i always found that a mule or camel does a better job at avoiding the rattle of those cases with wheels or any cart in general. plus, they can go off road and up/down stairs with out skippin a beat
DJ d.range 5:25 PM - 30 November, 2006
i HATE my coffin!!
djtonypsalms 5:47 PM - 30 November, 2006
I like using a battle style coffin (1200's/Empath) and an Ultimate Keyboard stand.

It's not that heavy, so I can carry it myself with some help from a dolly/handtruck. :)

I usually take everything out of the coffin and use the coffin as a table top.

So far its been working for me.
DJ Jinnai 6:06 PM - 30 November, 2006
I hate the word "coffin"

I rather call my turntable protection device a "case" :)
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 6:20 PM - 30 November, 2006
casket
ejayian 6:53 PM - 30 November, 2006
Quote:
I hate the word "coffin"

I rather call my turntable protection device a "case" :)

I call mine "turntables" the 2nd coffin we have i call "the newer turntables"
DJ d.range 11:04 PM - 30 November, 2006
i also use my coffin, with a keyboard stand, i find it to be unstable,a lot of shaking--"the turntables might wobble, but they don't fall down"
Dj Ryme 11:13 PM - 30 November, 2006
Quote:

The BEST solution out there is this double case by Road Ready. It's two TT cases that stick together. One has wheels and a handle, and the other one sits on top, so you can wheel around both of them at the same time. Then just seperate like normal cases. This way, you can wheel around two TT's in one hand, and carry your mixer bag/case in the other AND have a backpack on for records/laptop.

I have these cases and they kick ass! Had to take them back to road ready though because the first gen. handles had a defect and broke pretty easy but they fixed that with a newer metal handle. This really is the best solution. I am able to take ALL my equipment (tables, mixer, backpack) all in one trip. I used to have to take one trip for the turntables and another for everything else.
djheadhoncho 6:19 PM - 1 December, 2006
i personally have road ready single turntable cases ...... but .....

they can be stacked and 1 has wheels on the bottom ..... so i can carry them .... stack em up & then wheel it around if needed !!

real convenient !!! i love em !!!
mexicannnnnn 11:22 PM - 1 December, 2006
I have the road ready coffin... I wish it had the wheels.

The good thing about it is that no one can steal it!
Dj Shamann 1:23 AM - 2 December, 2006
I don't want to start a new thread, so I'll just ask in here..I remember a couple weeks back seeing a post about a cheaper version of this one...

www.odysseygear.com

It was going for $279

I could've swore I bookmarked it to show someone but apparently not.

Any help?
DJ GaFFle 12:46 PM - 3 December, 2006
t is pricey.

I'm not gonna get mine until they receive the smaller laptop holder. The 1st one's were too wide and got in the way of TT pitch controls.
CMS 5:07 PM - 7 December, 2006
I finally decided to go with individual cases. That way if I only want to use the mixer or only want to use the cd players I'm not "stuck" having to move everything. thanks to everyone for their input.
DJ Stuart (AR) 5:14 PM - 7 December, 2006
Individual cases are better, easier transportation. And you can take just one turntable if you want. The con is that you have to get a separate mixer case.

www.djstuart.com.ar
Dj KaGeN 5:40 PM - 7 December, 2006
and rewire your decks to the mixer EVERYtime.. more wear n tear on the equipment, but less wear n tear on your body.
DJ Stuart (AR) 5:51 PM - 7 December, 2006
Quote:
and rewire your decks to the mixer EVERYtime.. more wear n tear on the equipment, but less wear n tear on your body.

That's true.

www.djstuart.com.ar
CMS 6:34 PM - 7 December, 2006
Yeah, it's cheaper to fix an rca jack on a piece of equipment than to fix vertebrae!!
DJ GaFFle 7:04 PM - 7 December, 2006
Quote:
Yeah, it's cheaper to fix an rca jack on a piece of equipment than to fix vertebrae!!

Lolol!
ejayian 7:15 PM - 7 December, 2006
Hard to argue that point....however you can just as easily hurt yourself carrying 20lb or 200lb
CMS 7:41 PM - 7 December, 2006
it's much easier to do it with 200lb. :)
Dj Metro 4:41 AM - 8 December, 2006
easy.... u have a van...coffin
u have a car.....cases.......got to leave room 4 da ladies
MusicMeister 5:53 AM - 8 December, 2006
If you're spinning with CD players and a small mixer or TT's in battle mode and a 2 chan mixer you can easily move a coffin. It will also fit in the trunk of most cars.

I have a pair of SLDZ's and space for a 10" mixer in the coffin I have and it fits easily in the trunk of my car. I'm about to move to a 12" mixer/coffin and it will fit in my car trunk as well.

So unless you're cutting up your ladies and stuffin' 'em in the trunk you don't have to suffer with a coffin. But I'd measure it FIRST....

And I can easily move my coffin around with one hand. I roll it in and out of the club and use two hands to move it in/out of the trunk - but I 'can' lift it with one hand and carry it short distances. Besides, with a coffin I can leave everything hooked up - 1 power connection, a pair of audio connections and I'm rocking... I've added a second power connection, shelf, and I can go from pulling into the parking lot to being able to play music in under 10 minutes with my coffin set up.
MusicMeister 5:55 AM - 8 December, 2006
On a side note, you should go with whatever you're most comfortable with. If you don't mind the additional cases and set up time then go with seperates. If you want to get stuff set up a little faster and will always have room for the coffin I recommend going that route.

As I mentioned above, I use a coffin and I'm VERY happy with my choice....