Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato Dj BPM vs Traktor BPM

FatherTime 4:21 PM - 9 June, 2014
I recently switched from Traktor Scratch with the audio 4 to Serato Dj with the SL 3. Despite the many differences my only grief is the BPM. In tractor the BPM is precise, which helps when blending. However, switching to Serato the BPM count is off and does not give an accurate count when adjusting the pitch.
For example, if i played one track 126 bpm and tried to blend it with a track at 130 bpm. When I speed up the first song to match the second the BPM's match on serato but the songs still don't blend (Which can be seen as one wave length is faster than the other). Whereas the BPM count in Traktor is a little more complicated but more precise.

Any advice on how to improve the BPM count on serato? Or make it more accurate?

Equipment:
Macbook Pro
Pioneer 909
Serato sl 3
Technics 1200 mk2

The reason why I switched was due to a majority of clubs using Rane/serato equipment.
FatherTime 4:37 PM - 9 June, 2014
Something similar to my situation.
serato.com
DJ Gugge 5:43 PM - 9 June, 2014
Similar experience also move from traktor to serato and notice BPM detection is far way better in traktor.
I also see "one wave length is faster than the other" that is really enjoying.

Setup:
Macbook
SL2
FatherTime 6:05 PM - 9 June, 2014
if you mean Annoying not "enjoying" then i totally agree.
DJ Gugge 6:07 PM - 9 June, 2014
Opps Yes i mean Annoying :-)
kever 10:38 AM - 13 June, 2014
I have the same problem. Does anyone have a simple solution? (except going back to traktor)
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:43 PM - 13 June, 2014
Sounds like serato is rounding the bpm so a 99.6 bpm track will display as 100,
so if a track was on deck B at 100.4 bpm it would still display as 100bpm,

i think the solution if this is the issue is to display decimal places within the bpm given thats its not actually a bug with the software I don't trust sdj yet ssl all the way
FatherTime 2:51 AM - 14 June, 2014
Yeah I just gave up on counting the BPM I try to beat match by ear now. It is a challenge, but actually usefull to develop the ear for music and timing. Helps when switching to vinyl… Its just a luxury that was fun while it lasted lol.
Xavier Albareda 6:05 PM - 23 June, 2014
Totally agree. I've always been mixing with SERATO ITCH with my VCI-300, and I decided to made an upgrade and buy VCI-400 with SERATO DJ... but for my surprise BPM has only 1 decimal position, and it has an awful detection: Disappointed :(

Does anybody know if SERATO is gonna release a new version with 2 decimal positions? Is that development in the road map?
clearblu 7:29 PM - 23 June, 2014
Just press sync :-o
DJ Quartz 5:19 AM - 24 June, 2014
Please post this in the feature request section.
Serato, Support
Karl Y 8:37 AM - 24 June, 2014
Hi all,

yes we round the displayed BPM. if you want to beatmatch visually instead of using sync or mixing by ear, I recommend you look at the "icicles"

See here: serato.com

I find this far more useful than having to look at tiny digits to compare BPM's as I have both decks information in one spot, but maybe that's just me.

Would you prefer the decks to show a .xx (two decimals) BPM value?
Sounds By JB 11:18 AM - 24 June, 2014
Quote:
Hi all,

Not perse for mixing tracks.

But since there is no midi clock out, for syncing with external (midi) devices (on which pitch bending e.a. is not particularly an option) having more information, or being able to set the tempo two decimals accurate, could be useful.
kever 12:21 PM - 24 June, 2014
Quote:
Hi all,

yes we round the displayed BPM. if you want to beatmatch visually instead of using sync or mixing by ear, I recommend you look at the "icicles"

See here: serato.com

I find this far more useful than having to look at tiny digits to compare BPM's as I have both decks information in one spot, but maybe that's just me.

Yes, we would prefer the decks to show us 2 or even 3 decimals on bpm value.
Xavier Albareda 10:45 PM - 11 August, 2014
We prefer 2 decimal positions, how many people asking for that u need?
Mr. Goodkat 11:19 PM - 11 August, 2014
what would be the point of 2 deicmal positions?
FatherTime 4:17 AM - 12 August, 2014
Two decimal points would allow for better BPM measurements/accuracy (like in Traktor) for beat matching.
Mr. Goodkat 4:25 AM - 12 August, 2014
so your saying with sync, even if you have your beat grids are set, and one track is say 120.11 and one is 120.95, but both come up 120, the sync will be slightly off in smart sync?

Because both are set at 120 and one is closer to 121, consequently making the tracks out of sync?

just wondering.
FatherTime 4:33 AM - 12 August, 2014
yes it would be slightly off because it rounds and you can't get an accurate bpm measurement. But in my case serato would round 120.11- 120 and 120.95- 121. The problem is if you are using the bpm count to help you beat match it would be better if serato did not round and showed double digits for precise beat matching. btw I'm not a fan of serato dj and its beat grid, because when I set a grid they sometimes disappear or reset as if i never analyzed the track.
--- But i believe the new updates are suppose to help clear some of theses issues in 1.7 coming out in september
Mr. Goodkat 4:41 AM - 12 August, 2014
i see, traktor does seem tighter in their sync.
Xavier Albareda 7:54 AM - 12 August, 2014
Quote:

I use to mix and perform with my two brothers, and they are equiped with Traktor. We all mixed very weel when I had my Vestax VCI 300 and Serato ITCH, but with my upgrade to Serato Dj and my new Vestax 400 is impossible to set an accurate BPM with them.

I just decided to switch to Traktor Pro2, and that's a pitty because I prefer Serato
FatherTime 2:07 AM - 3 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I use to mix and perform with my two brothers, and they are equiped with Traktor. We all mixed very weel when I had my Vestax VCI 300 and Serato ITCH, but with my upgrade to Serato Dj and my new Vestax 400 is impossible to set an accurate BPM with them.

I just decided to switch to Traktor Pro2, and that's a pitty because I prefer Serato

IDK I went from Traktor to serato, because i like the feel of the control vinyl better and serato is widely used (competitions and clubs). But in my experience with Traktor was arguably better. The software was a little complicated compared to serato but the bpm matching was on point and i really liked the live remixing option in Traktor.

But now that I've been on serato I've gotten adjusted and got use to it. Plus flip is out and is kinda like live remixing.
Vial 11:37 AM - 22 December, 2019
I have same issue and it drives me nuts. I only switch to serato cause i have stop speed in reality.

I made a video of the problem let me know of its the same issue.

fbwat.ch
Vial 11:39 AM - 22 December, 2019
Quote:
We prefer 2 decimal positions, how many people asking for that u need?

Its 2019 and still they dont care
FatherTime 11:52 PM - 22 December, 2019
Quote:
I have same issue and it drives me nuts. I only switch to serato cause i have stop speed in reality.

fbwat.ch

I watched your video, and it happens with certain tracks. It slips off even when the tracks are matched. Im not sure why, but I nudge the track as well or I drop the songs into a DAW to quantize and make sure they are on point. If that doesn't help or is too time consuming then I totally understand.
Vial 9:26 PM - 23 December, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

fbwat.ch

I watched your video, and it happens with certain tracks. It slips off even when the tracks are matched. Im not sure why, but I nudge the track as well or I drop the songs into a DAW to quantize and make sure they are on point. If that doesn't help or is too time consuming then I totally understand.

Its because one track is read at lets say 128.1 and the other track reads at 128.18 but the read out wont tell me that. If i put a mastered track in a daw it will lower the volume of the mastered track. I have two tracks I produced and they where set at same bpm. Its the way serato reads the bpm. Its weird.
Laz219 7:16 AM - 27 December, 2019
It can read into more decimal places, but it depends on the view whether it shows it or not.
Res-Q 4:24 PM - 27 December, 2019
Please serato add 4 decimals
100.8746 bpm so I can beatmatch with songs that are 100.3629 bpm
Common guys are you serious or is it april's fools already?
popnwave 7:38 PM - 27 December, 2019
Quote:
Please serato add 4 decimals
100.8746 bpm so I can beatmatch with songs that are 100.3629 bpm
Common guys are you serious or is it april's fools already?

C'mon there are guys who want to do 4 deck blends for 30 minutes without having to touch their platter.
DJ Unique 7:41 PM - 27 December, 2019
BuaHaHaHa