DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Problem with JBL PRX 718XLF

DJ MADD 1:02 AM - 5 June, 2014
Hey everyone. My JBL PRX 718XLF just came in the other day, along with my 2 712's upgrading from a EV ELX118p. I've noticed that there is not much of a difference at all. It's really hard for me to believe it even, which is why I'm coming here to ask if I'm doing something wrong as of hooking everything up. I've tried going straight from my mixer to 718XLF, and I've tried mixer to crossover to sub. It all sounds like a one note wonder to me and not very musical at all and it also limits relatively easily. When I plug in my ELX118p (from the crossover) it sounds alot louder and better (not one note wonder) What is going on here? Why is this happening? I'm also going to note that the subs were in the same exact spot (in the corner FACING the corner)

The crossover I have is a dbx 223xs crossover. What am I missing/doing wrong?
Joee 1:06 AM - 5 June, 2014
wow, your saying the elx118p sounds better than the prx718xlf?

i'e heard both while i haven't done a size by side comparison of the two i do think the jbl sounded pretty good
DJ MADD 1:09 AM - 5 June, 2014
That's what I'm saying as of right now. It doesn't make sense to me at all. I bought the JBL looking for a significant upgrade and was really excited to listen to it only to notice that there is barely any difference. There has to be something going on, could I have got a bad sub?
DJ Val-BKNY11203 7:13 AM - 5 June, 2014
User error.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 7:15 AM - 5 June, 2014
Why are you using an external crossover and not just not using the Hi Pass on the sub?
DJ MADD 7:43 AM - 5 June, 2014
I've went straight from mixer to the sub and it's pretty much the same results.
Joee 11:45 AM - 5 June, 2014
Quote:

i don't know man, i did do i side buy side comparison between the qsc kw181 & the jbl prx718xlf

both me and the other two dj that were there though the jbl sounded better
DJ GaFFle 1:27 PM - 5 June, 2014
Quote:
That's what I'm saying as of right now. It doesn't make sense to me at all. I bought the JBL looking for a significant upgrade and was really excited to listen to it only to notice that there is barely any difference. There has to be something going on, could I have got a bad sub?

Since you've removed the crossover from the picture, try swapping sub positions. Sometimes, room modes or positioning can cause funky phase problems. I compared my old ELX15P's to the ZXA5's showing another DJ the advantage difference in output and lows the ZXA5's had. It was embarrassing because the ELX sounded lower. I swapped positions and whoa... the ZXA5 was waaaayyyy lower. I put them on equal ground in a neutral area of the room, then the test was more realistic proving my testing point.
DJ MADD 4:56 PM - 5 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

i don't know man, i did do i side buy side comparison between the qsc kw181 & the jbl prx718xlf

both me and the other two dj that were there though the jbl sounded better

As did I. I loved the sound of it. Could I have gotten a bad sub?
DJ MADD 5:04 PM - 5 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Since you've removed the crossover from the picture, try swapping sub positions. Sometimes, room modes or positioning can cause funky phase problems. I compared my old ELX15P's to the ZXA5's showing another DJ the advantage difference in output and lows the ZXA5's had. It was embarrassing because the ELX sounded lower. I swapped positions and whoa... the ZXA5 was waaaayyyy lower. I put them on equal ground in a neutral area of the room, then the test was more realistic proving my testing point.

I'll try out different positions, but I've found that the EV sounded alot better in that one corner than anywhere else. It would be really disappointing to not get better sound than the EV even when it's in the corner
pdidy 6:16 PM - 5 June, 2014
lets not even entertain the thought that EV ELX118p sounds as good as the JBL PRX 718XLF.....lol

there is definitely an issue here. room modes as gaffle stated would have been my first guess.

I did a house party at my friends house with my vrx918sp sub in a small living room and the sound of the sub got TOTALLY fucked up. I had reduced spl and alot of frequency cancellation, it was some weird shit.
DJ MADD 6:28 PM - 5 June, 2014
Quote:
lets not even entertain the thought that EV ELX118p sounds as good as the JBL PRX 718XLF.....lol

there is definitely an issue here. room modes as gaffle stated would have been my first guess.

I did a house party at my friends house with my vrx918sp sub in a small living room and the sound of the sub got TOTALLY fucked up. I had reduced spl and alot of frequency cancellation, it was some weird shit.

I had no thought whatsoever that the ELX would even be close to as good as the JBL. What could the problem be?
GoHoos 4:15 AM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I had no thought whatsoever that the ELX would even be close to as good as the JBL. What could the problem be?

Most likely the room, but nobody can tell you for sure...

Try them both outside (either nice and far away from the closest wall or right up against the wall) and see if you get the same result.

OTOH, the XLF subs wholly underwhelmed me, so I'm not shocked you're not over the moon for them...

I picked up a pair to demo since I thought their small size/weight was attractive. I A/B'd them with KW181s during sound check for 2 different shows over a weekend and it was embarrassing. KW181 was louder, deeper and sounded much more under control at high volumes. Couldn't bring them back fast enough Monday AM.
pdidy 5:13 AM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Most likely the room, but nobody can tell you for sure...

Try them both outside (either nice and far away from the closest wall or right up against the wall) and see if you get the same result.

OTOH, the XLF subs wholly underwhelmed me, so I'm not shocked you're not over the moon for them...

I picked up a pair to demo since I thought their small size/weight was attractive. I A/B'd them with KW181s during sound check for 2 different shows over a weekend and it was embarrassing. KW181 was louder, deeper and sounded much more under control at high volumes. Couldn't bring them back fast enough Monday AM.

That's odd because the jbl goes lower and a tad bit louder than the qsc.
pdidy 5:17 AM - 6 June, 2014
They are close enough in sound that I can't see either being "embarrassing " if operating properly.
Dj Rehab 10:21 AM - 6 June, 2014
I have the 181 and it does in fact hit harder and go louder than the JBL. The JBL does go lower though, I just used one but I was totally underwhelmed by it. Peaked quickly and just couldn't rattle walls like my QSC. The guy who owned the JBL just took it back and got a 181 and is completely happy. From my own experience, I feel the 618XLF is even better than the newer JBL.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 7:07 PM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:
They are close enough in sound that I can't see either being "embarrassing " if operating properly.

This is why I take all of these reviews with a grain of salt. Everyone thinks they know but they really don't.
GoHoos 10:52 PM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

This is why I take all of these reviews with a grain of salt. Everyone thinks they know but they really don't.

I'm a sound engineer/live sound tech with 20+ years of experience in the business who also happens to DJ. I welcome your sound or physics lessons any time...

As far as 718 vs 181, yes the difference was embarrassing given that the MSRP is the same (and actually KW181 can be had a bit cheaper). I played lots of recorded music through them during sound check to make sure it wasn't simply a one note wonder type judgement, either. With an SPL meter in my hand and at at 50' away, the pair of KW181s were hitting 101-103dB with any material I threw at it and with a barely blinking limiter while the JBL was struggling to hit 97-98 under any conditions.

-So you'd basically need two 718's to match the output of 1 KW181 depending on many factors (room, coupling, cancellations, etc).

-Many sound riders require 100dB, so that's a bit of a magic #. The KW181 can do it outdoors with just a pair for a small show and the 718 can't with a pair. That's a big deal when one of the sub's biggest selling points is the size/weight. If a band wants 100dB in the last row for a 300 person show, and I can do that out of my personal vehicle, I'm making $100 more per gig in what I save on the van rental.

Furthermore, JBL's [recent] speaker data is simply not trustworthy. They use half space measurements, and ILS power ratings to calculate maximum output that looks gaudy on paper, but nobody could possibly believe. 136 dB on a PRX715? Come on. The paper numbers may deceive you, but in a large ballroom and outdoors, the KW's simply outperformed them in real world measurements.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 11:06 PM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:
I'm a sound engineer/live sound tech with 20+ years of experience in the business who also happens to DJ. I welcome your sound or physics lessons any time...

This is the internet, you can be any one you want to be. I invented the first powered speaker and I DJ as well. See how that works.

P.S. Take some Midol & drink some hot tea.
Joee 11:06 PM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:
-So you'd basically need two 718's to match the output of 1 KW181

-i don't believe you

-you lie...................

:-)
Joee 11:07 PM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:
I invented the first powered speaker

you work for RCF? you know they made the first powered speaker, man i love your gear

RCF ROCKS!
Joee 11:09 PM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:
but nobody could possibly believe. 136 dB on a PRX715? Come on.

ok right here your making sense

-i believe you

pdidy 11:13 PM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
-So you'd basically need two 718's to match the output of 1 KW181

-i don't believe you

-you lie...................

I guess I wasn't the only one that picked up on that statement. If he had any credibility it's all gone now.

Oh btw, I'm not just a dj ......I'm also the king of England.
GoHoos 11:16 PM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

This is the internet, you can be any one you want to be. I invented the first powered speaker and I DJ as well. See how that works.

I do see how that works. But even if it were true, since we're not talking about the first powered speaker it's irrelevant. Maybe in your next internet life, you should be somebody else...

I didn't review the speakers and don't write for a magazine, so you can trust whatever you want and it won't hurt my feelings. What I gave you was two real world measurements that should be mostly free of outside factors influencing the data.

I only gave my qualifications to make such a simple judgement because you questioned them. I don't question yours other than to think that you obviously haven't taken both of these boxes out into the field with an SPL meter. If you do and get a different result, I'd be happy to compare notes and see what might've caused the discrepancy. Believe me, I really wanted the 718's to be a winner for me, but they just fell flat in my experience.

Also note that even with BS inflated #'s provided by [both] manufacturers, the 718's peak SPL is 134dB half space (131 full space). That's 4dB lower than the KW181, which pretty closely matches my real world test. Shouldn't really be a surprise at all...
pdidy 11:18 PM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
but nobody could possibly believe. 136 dB on a PRX715? Come on.

ok right here your making sense

-i believe you

This is no new discovery, it's common knowledge that speaker manufactures lie about specs for marketing purposes.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 11:21 PM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I do see how that works. But even if it were true, since we're not talking about the first powered speaker it's irrelevant. Maybe in your next internet life, you should be somebody else...

I didn't review the speakers and don't write for a magazine, so you can trust whatever you want and it won't hurt my feelings. What I gave you was two real world measurements that should be mostly free of outside factors influencing the data.

I only gave my qualifications to make such a simple judgement because you questioned them. I don't question yours other than to think that you obviously haven't taken both of these boxes out into the field with an SPL meter. If you do and get a different result, I'd be happy to compare notes and see what might've caused the discrepancy. Believe me, I really wanted the 718's to be a winner for me, but they just fell flat in my experience.

Also note that even with BS inflated #'s provided by [both] manufacturers, the 718's peak SPL is 134dB half space (131 full space). That's 4dB lower than the KW181, which pretty closely matches my real world test. Shouldn't really be a surprise at all...

The King Of England just said he doesn't believe you.
GoHoos 11:26 PM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:

Would you trust the dude hitting this?

1.bp.blogspot.com
Joee 11:40 PM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

1.bp.blogspot.com

hey after you saying this
"-So you'd basically need two 718's to match the output of 1 KW181"

i'd trust the dude hittin that & the dude thats hittin him & the one hittin him ETC. before i'd trust you

just saying :-)
GoHoos 11:49 PM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1.bp.blogspot.com

hey after you saying this

i'd trust the dude hittin that & the dude thats hittin him & the one hittin him ETC. before i'd trust you

just saying :-)

It's a pretty simple math calc. Yes, without user error resulting in funky results or cancellations, I'd expect 2 718's to outperform a single 181. But it shouldn't be as close as it is.
Joee 11:56 PM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:
It's a pretty simple math calc. Yes, without user error resulting in funky results or cancellations, I'd expect 2 718's to outperform a single 181. But it shouldn't be as close as it is.

now your not making sense to me, what is the above statement about?

first you say

than you say
"It's a pretty simple math calc. Yes, without user error resulting in funky results or cancellations, I'd expect 2 718's to outperform a single 181. But it shouldn't be as close as it is."

so summing it up first two 718's equal one 181? now they outperform it? or the 181 is close but still doesn't outperform it?

???????????????????????
Joee 11:56 PM - 6 June, 2014
be quick! i have to go dj!

GoHoos 2:06 AM - 7 June, 2014
"Basically" is a rough term, as I'm sure you're aware. I noted the exact #'s in my post of roughly 3-5dB difference, *measured*, and based on some simple math, that makes 2 XLF's closer to 1 KW181 than 1 XLF is. That plus the fact that, to my ear, the 181's sounded more under control at high volume, and the fact that the MSRP is the same, is a pretty embarrassing situation for JBL in my opinion.

You may have a different opinion of the way they sound, but I'd be shocked if you took an SPL meter into the field and found the 718XLF to out-perform the KW181.
Dj Rehab 3:05 AM - 8 June, 2014
the 718 isn't as loud as a 181. Bottom line, i just isn't.
Dj MrMiixx 6:06 PM - 29 November, 2014
No way no how the 718 is king..but if you are not dealing with the acoustic challenges the you might feel slight..loud is not always good it's really about them hertz and dB out put..lf you don't tweak you crossover your pretty much at the mercy of what the signal quality and room size..you might want to consider a dB Rack to help you push that 718 right..in fact one 718 will knock paint loose in a 200 Sq foot spatial allowance.
Dj MrMiixx 6:21 PM - 29 November, 2014
I also have two qsc kw181 as well as 2 prx618xlf and two 718s..I happen to like both but lean towards the 718s for indoor use...but I hate the 715s in pair with the 718s..as weird as is seems prx618s and prx710 go well togather. If I'm doing larger venues I'll roll with qsc kw181 and kw153..it just depends on different variables, some boogie in concert mood..are you this kind of dj? Club and house party yet desires the concert sound? Jbl prx 7 and 6 hundred series cabinets are best club house party speakers
djnoyz72 4:02 PM - 2 December, 2014
I own both sets... purchased all 4 at the same time... the kw181's sound better and out perform the 718's... Not to mention my 718xlf have had to be repaired 2 times already... they blow easily..without even peaking and they over heat really bad... jbl has be bought out by harmen and they are simply not the same any more... im rolling with Qsc from now on... jbl is only good for small venues.
Dj MrMiixx 4:12 PM - 2 December, 2014
Quote:
I own both sets... purchased all 4 at the same time... the kw181's sound better and out perform the 718's... Not to mention my 718xlf have had to be repaired 2 times already... they blow easily..without even peaking and they over heat really bad... jbl has be bought out by harmen and they are simply not the same any more... im rolling with Qsc from now on... jbl is only good for small venues.

Yeah it depends on how your pushing the 718s..they seem to far out best in small venues..I've gotten away with using one kw181 with the two 615m's and boy do they sound well outside...I happen to love the richness 9f the 718s
DJFree 4:10 PM - 3 December, 2014
Quote:

That's interesting. I've pushed the hell out of one of 718xlf's before I got my second one with no issues.
Dj MrMiixx 2:54 AM - 7 December, 2014
Quote:

That's interesting that you blew the 718s they are pretty sturdy and flexable..but even your qsc will blowout contrary to popular beleif, I happen to believe that booth brands depend are environment dependant and truly are at the mercy of its own..if you don't run cables right or you using cheap stuff with quality that will blow your speaker too..but the two are not the same sound...i would roll with a drive rack and a mixer just for that reason.
djvtyme85 3:47 AM - 8 December, 2014
i never understand how you can blow jbl prx series speakers. they literally let you know "hey buddy turn me down" lol but seriously i've ran them with no issues what so ever. any speaker can blow if not used properly. so, i'd just say go with the brand that is working well for you.
pdidy 4:18 AM - 8 December, 2014
Quote:
I own both sets... purchased all 4 at the same time... the kw181's sound better and out perform the 718's... Not to mention my 718xlf have had to be repaired 2 times already... they blow easily..without even peaking and they over heat really bad...

Oh really, note to self....never let this guy near my system....lol

Anybody notice all the "new" members in this post are clueless ? lol
Dj MrMiixx 5:24 AM - 8 December, 2014
Nothing to be clues about..no many people are buying 718 or kw181..gotta give them time to cop them then blow out..lol
pdidy 5:40 AM - 8 December, 2014
Quote:
Nothing to be clues about..no many people are buying 718 or kw181..gotta give them time to cop them then blow out..lol

you got be trolling, whats your real user name ?
Dj MrMiixx 5:53 AM - 8 December, 2014
It's Tru dude ppl are not copping subs..like 2012 or 2013..when I was considering new sub or trying to compare jbl prx with qsc k series..there was not much to find in this aspect..my humble conclusion is..not many have reported of prx700 series because their still good with whatever there using..with 5 and 6 year warranties I could see why
Mr.Jace 4:14 AM - 17 January, 2015
Personally, i think the Jbl prx718xlf is a great sub. I'm pretty sure you're sub was placed in a way where you were experiencing cancellation. My qsc kw181 was doing the same thing when I was testing it in my living room. There was no sound (dead spots) standing in front of it, but plenty of bass when walking around the room. I moved my sub elsewhere in the room and the sound from the sub changed completely. I'm sure your Jbl is fine. Just poor room setup.
thoraudio 2:53 PM - 18 February, 2015
Just bought a set jbl prx 718 xlf very displeased ... pretty crappy they just don't seem to hit hard ..... so I took it apart ...There is a 2278h driver with three inch coil .... So I had a couple of jbl 2242h's with four inch coils and put them in the cabs and they thump !!!!!! just an idea that worked for me...I was never a fan of 3inch voice coils for subs .. midrange is fine,,,You have to take specs with a gain of salt ...your ears don't lie ....As far the 2278h not impressed ...jbl seems pretty hushed about the driver and is in the new 800 series... Thanks but no thanks!
Dj MrMiixx 3:03 PM - 18 February, 2015
I got mine to knock harder after putting them on a dbx rack..they hard like an extra 100 horse power, could not believe it myself, because when you run the to main mixer you get cheated, it's like there is not calibrating or compression forces causing the 718 to push optimally..the dbx has been the x factor for me. It just a whole different sound from sub and main tops whew
Rebelguy 6:54 PM - 18 February, 2015
Quote:
I. jbl has be bought out by harmen and they are simply not the same any more... im rolling with Qsc from now on... jbl is only good for small venues.

JBL was sold to The Jervis Corporation (later renamed Harman International) in 1969. Are you saying the pre 1969 stuff is better?
Dj MrMiixx 7:04 PM - 18 February, 2015
Yeah I aggree..I rent out my qsc
DJ SL1 8:09 PM - 10 August, 2016
I just got my second 718xlf and i think I'm experiencing cancellation. Im in the middle of a bowling alley and wanted to add the second one to get the dance floor a lil more bass and it seems like the first one did good i had to set it on 180 degrees but I added the second one and its kinda like i can hear it but not feel it like i felt the first one. About 300 patrons go to party on this night and maybe about 100-200 are spread between the dance floor and the bar. Any suggestions? I put them right next to each other in front of the booth.
Joee 10:20 PM - 10 August, 2016
try setting the polarity on both to 0
DJ SL1 3:55 AM - 11 August, 2016
I did I played with both what about speaker placement
pdidy 4:14 AM - 11 August, 2016
Quote:
I did I played with both what about speaker placement

Speaker placement in certain rooms can cause odd things to happen including cancellation.
Arjun B 5:57 AM - 11 August, 2016
Maybe try to put both subs together and couple them? so they act as if they are both one big sub (same source)
DJ SL1 10:30 AM - 11 August, 2016
Not sure what exactly u mean but I have them right next to each other
Arjun B 6:11 PM - 11 August, 2016
Quote:
Not sure what exactly u mean but I have them right next to each other

Oh ok, nvm ignore what I said then. Maybe the polarity is inverted on one of the subs?
DJ SL1 6:59 PM - 11 August, 2016
I make sure they match maybe just too many ppl and the place being too big
desmorider 2:06 AM - 12 August, 2016
One of the speaker cables could be wired wrong putting one sub out of phase as well.
DJ SL1 12:32 PM - 12 August, 2016
I don't think that's an issue its pretty cut and dry. I think it's the wide open area I got it to thump better setting both to 180. But I felt like it was shooting bass backwards. But it was better than feeling no bass
Jon-Paul Evans 8:10 AM - 4 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

So then get the fuck off the internet message boards where people discuss opinions annonymously. The dude had awesome feedback.
Jon-Paul Evans 8:14 AM - 4 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

now your not making sense to me, what is the above statement about?

first you say

than you say
"It's a pretty simple math calc. Yes, without user error resulting in funky results or cancellations, I'd expect 2 718's to outperform a single 181. But it shouldn't be as close as it is."

so summing it up first two 718's equal one 181? now they outperform it? or the 181 is close but still doesn't outperform it?

???????????????????????

Look up the power required to add 3db. Or 6db or double the volume thats around 9 db.

By the way guys. QSC rates their gear at 1000 watts but thats its continuous rating. They hit 2000 max. Ev. Jbl. Yamaha. They all give the max rating.
pdidy 8:53 AM - 4 September, 2016
^^^^^ can anybody pick out the red flags that proves this guy is an amateur ?
Mr.Jace 2:40 PM - 4 September, 2016
Quote:
^^^^^ can anybody pick out the red flags that proves this guy is an amateur ?

Hmmm.... Look up the power required to add +3db? Or 6db ,or double the volume that's around +9db? LMAO!!!!
DJ SL1 3:38 PM - 4 September, 2016
do you guys usually have the signal gain at the half way point? Im so used to car audio amps and this is different bc i believe its just volume. Is that correct? Not the actual power.
Mr.Jace 4:26 PM - 4 September, 2016
Quote:
do you guys usually have the signal gain at the half way point? Im so used to car audio amps and this is different bc i believe its just volume. Is that correct? Not the actual power.

Powered speaker gain control knobs are part of your overall gain structure, its the last adjustment to your signal chain. Its best to have the powered speaker gain control set to unity, then feed the signal from the mixer to the powered speaker. I always have the main volume on my mixer set on unity ( 0 ) as well. Use the line faders on the mixer as the volume control starting at off position, and slowly raise the fader for your desired volume.
Asu 3:27 PM - 8 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Powered speaker gain control knobs are part of your overall gain structure, its the last adjustment to your signal chain. Its best to have the powered speaker gain control set to unity, then feed the signal from the mixer to the powered speaker. I always have the main volume on my mixer set on unity ( 0 ) as well. Use the line faders on the mixer as the volume control starting at off position, and slowly raise the fader for your desired volume.

i worked with a pro audio guy this past Labour day weekend who run the subs differently...he maxed out that volume...it was 6 KW181(# per side) in deep mode and 6 line array "EVENT 208A's" (by DAS Audio) per side...he controlled everything else on his i-pad...i was suprised there were no limit issues with the subs.i heard someone say,when run this way,there's no resistance from the amps in the subs/speakers...i'm assuming he did the limiting etc before the audio got to the speakers/subs.

The sound was really good...i was more surprised the subs kept up while not limiting even in deep mode...i got some more respect for the KW181...by comparison,last year,the subs were JBL718's (7 of them) and they didn't hit as hard as the KW181...but it was also a different group that did the sound.

Hats off for the KW181....i almost thought the guy didn't bring enough subs....this was at the JW Marriot in Downtown LA and the whole ballroom (diamond Ballroom) was filled with deep yet clear sound....FYI,this was for about 500 people
Asu 3:30 PM - 8 September, 2016
it was 3 subs per side...i accidentally pressed the shift key...total of 6 subs...this is why i was concerned,it wouldn't be enough in that big ballroom but i was proved wrong lol...i'm gonna buy some KW181's
DJ SL1 5:55 PM - 8 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i worked with a pro audio guy this past Labour day weekend who run the subs differently...he maxed out that volume...it was 6 KW181(# per side) in deep mode and 6 line array "EVENT 208A's" (by DAS Audio) per side...he controlled everything else on his i-pad...i was suprised there were no limit issues with the subs.i heard someone say,when run this way,there's no resistance from the amps in the subs/speakers...i'm assuming he did the limiting etc before the audio got to the speakers/subs.

I know with my EV's I had to crank the signal knob all the way bc that was specifically for the volume not to sure about the JBLs tho.
Scully DJ Services 6:25 PM - 8 September, 2016
I got to mess with 4 KW181s that we rented recently for a church function and IMO they functioned best with gain knob maxed and deep mode engaged. On my personal 718XLF, Ive had a better time with it when I keep the knob at unity or 1-2 o'clock.
pdidy 11:13 PM - 8 September, 2016
Quote:
The sound was really good...i was more surprised the subs kept up while not limiting even in deep mode...i got some more respect for the KW181...by comparison,last year,the subs were JBL718's (7 of them) and they didn't hit as hard as the KW181...but it was also a different group that did the sound.

Which jbl's are you refering too ? There's about 3-4 versions called 718.
Asu 4:32 AM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:
Which jbl's are you refering too ? There's about 3-4 versions called 718.

PRX718XLF...we used 7 last year but the six KW181's gave a better thump than the 7 XLF's
pdidy 5:09 PM - 10 September, 2016
Quote:
by comparison,last year,the subs were JBL718's (7 of them) and they didn't hit as hard as the KW181...but it was also a different group that did the sound.

And there you have it "a different group that did the sound".......The PRX718XLF will outperform the kw181 in sound quality and output side by side all things even. The sound guy was likely the variable that made the real difference.

This is not to say the kw181 doesn't sound great because they do and they are my preferred goto speaker when i am renting for gigs in other states because they are the King of reliability. Ive personally watched dj's beat the shit out of the entire qsc K,KW line and they refuse to fail.
Asu 3:10 AM - 11 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
by comparison,last year,the subs were JBL718's (7 of them) and they didn't hit as hard as the KW181...but it was also a different group that did the sound.

And there you have it "a different group that did the sound".......The PRX718XLF will outperform the kw181 in sound quality and output side by side all things even. The sound guy was likely the variable that made the real difference.

This is not to say the kw181 doesn't sound great because they do and they are my preferred goto speaker when i am renting for gigs in other states because they are the King of reliability. Ive personally watched dj's beat the shit out of the entire qsc K,KW line and they refuse to fail.

Those are good points,yes the reliability is another reason
Mclan 7:31 AM - 27 November, 2016
I have never used QSC line but own a large PA of (8) 718XLF and (8) 725's I also add in at large hip hop shows (4) STX 828.... I also use (6) 715's for monitor as well as (if needed) 6 EON 615 and (8) Eon G2's.... I mix with Presonus and Mackie digital boards and use Klark Teknick EQ's... I ALWAYS USE EXTERNAL crossovers for control. I have only had one problem with 1 of the newer eons. I have always used JBL and stand behind the quality. I have been mixing and DJ ing for 40 years. I can take back windows out of bars at 50% with the subs. They really like being compressed and the bands that fall below hearing removed. I have mixed for some large shows and the only complaint I ever get is turn the monitors down a little (LOL) These are my opinions and not intended to rate gear.... feel free to ask any questions...
dus 5:34 AM - 2 April, 2017
i own the kw181 and jbl srx series 835p and 828 subs.
i wanted to get 2 other subs so i bought the vrx 918 as a test.

first gig and the box timed out it overheated with no peaking....
i will be selling it or trading it for another a qsc 181
Mr.Jace 3:42 PM - 3 April, 2017
Quote:

Which speaker overheated? The vrx918?
pdidy 9:15 PM - 3 April, 2017
Quote:

www.reactiongifs.com
pdidy 10:56 PM - 3 April, 2017
Quote:

HOLLA at me, I may be willing to take that VRX918sp off your hands as soon as tomorrow.
Rebelguy 12:01 AM - 4 April, 2017
I'm curious what effect Samsung's purchase of Harmon is going to have on JBL. I could see the Music Group buying them.
Scully DJ Services 3:23 AM - 6 April, 2017
Quote:
I'm curious what effect Samsung's purchase of Harmon is going to have on JBL. I could see the Music Group buying them.

Has this acquisition already been finished? If so, maybe thats why dus' VRX is overheating
Rebelguy 5:02 AM - 6 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Has this acquisition already been finished? If so, maybe thats why dus' VRX is overheating

It just closed in March and I can guarantee that it has nothing to do with his issue.
Scully DJ Services 12:50 PM - 6 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It just closed in March and I can guarantee that it has nothing to do with his issue.

It was a joke..... Seems like Samsung has all kinds of problems with things catching on fire lately so it fit pretty well
Rebelguy 5:55 PM - 6 April, 2017
Quote:

It was a joke..... Seems like Samsung has all kinds of problems with things catching on fire lately so it fit pretty well

It was only one phone.
Rebelguy 5:56 PM - 6 April, 2017
Quote:
It was only one phone model.
Scully DJ Services 10:44 PM - 6 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

It was only one phone.

Ehh. Still a massive issue. And I believe they also had an issue with at least one battery FACTORY catching on fire as well.
pdidy 6:35 AM - 7 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah I'm guessing user error which is why am trying to buy it.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:58 PM - 10 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

www.reactiongifs.com

Scrolling back there was some good comedy on this thread. Ahhhh the old days.
Asu 4:33 AM - 21 April, 2017
The amp is probably samsung lol
Cj "Tha" Sticman 10:26 PM - 16 June, 2017
So im Running 4 Jbl Prx718xlf subs side by side
and yes the crazy frequency issues are definitely there
do i need to be using an external crossover on 2 of the subs in
order to achieve the sound my system should be able to provide?

Im also a dj with years of experience and in the past year i've gone from
all an passive system to all active . I do not miss carrying the amps or amp racks .
I do need some assistance figuring out these crazy frequency issues . any advice from any of you will be much helpful.

Im considering using separate so Sources for the alternating subs . Master for the subs i run to my tops and Booth for the other 2 subs .

does any one think this will help . right now any reconfiguration will help due to im not getting the full sound i know 4 of these subs should be able to put out . Ive done parties with 1 sub and it sounded great . i ve used just 2 and it sounded great , but all 4 is like a reduction ... weird. Please Help Guys !
Arjun B 11:04 PM - 16 June, 2017
Quote:
Ive done parties with 1 sub and it sounded great . i ve used just 2 and it sounded great , but all 4 is like a reduction ... weird. Please Help Guys !

Seems like you have a polarity issue. Did you check the polarity switch on all 4 subs to make sure that they're set to 0 and not 180? If theyre not all the same then they will cancel each other out. You need to make sure all of the subs are on the same polarity. You technically shouldn't be getting any cancellation if they're all clustered together and you're using the same sub.
Cj "Tha" Sticman 11:51 PM - 16 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Ive done parties with 1 sub and it sounded great . i ve used just 2 and it sounded great , but all 4 is like a reduction ... weird. Please Help Guys !

Seems like you have a polarity issue. Did you check the polarity switch on all 4 subs to make sure that they're set to 0 and not 180? If theyre not all the same then they will cancel each other out. You need to make sure all of the subs are on the same polarity. You technically shouldn't be getting any cancellation if they're all clustered together and you're using the same sub.

Ok Following What you said , i check and 2 were set to 180 and 2 were set to 0 . i connected them as ususal . still had cancelation sounding issues. So i connected 2 subs to the booth connection on the Djm s9 and connected the other 2 as usual with the xlr conections. Big Difference and they are pounding the room and sounding like 4 subs should sound. Thanks for the quick Assist Guys !!!

if u are running multiples of these subs and you are having issues try this configuration .
Cj "Tha" Sticman 11:52 PM - 16 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok Following What you said , i check and 2 were set to 180 and 2 were set to 0 . i connected them as ususal . still had cancelation sounding issues. So i connected 2 subs to the booth connection on the Djm s9 and connected the other 2 as usual with the xlr conections. Big Difference and they are pounding the room and sounding like 4 subs should sound. Thanks for the quick Assist Guys !!!

if u are running multiples of these subs and you are having issues try this configuration .

And before u try , just know i did set all my subs to 0 on the polarity
Arjun B 4:32 AM - 17 June, 2017
Quote:
Ok Following What you said , i check and 2 were set to 180 and 2 were set to 0.
Well there's your issue. They have to all be set to the same polarity otherwise they will be cancelling each other out. You don't need to be running them off 2 different outputs like you are now. They can all be the same output and you will still get the same results. Obviously make sure that the gains are set to the same position on all of them aswell. In the end, whatever works for you is fine, as long as you are getting the results you need.
Dj pistol 6:02 AM - 25 March, 2018
Hi guys... I’m new to the forum so take it easy on me...5 years ago I bought 2 x PRX618xlf’s, they have served me well...total utter grunt!....about a year ago I acquired a third but couldn’t use it . Stereo matched pigeon pair if you will...2 weeks ago I acquired a near new PRX 718 xlf to my dismay it was peaking all night....the 618’s just pumped along....if you want my opinion JBL took a massive step backwards on them...Very disappointed indeed....P
Asu 11:03 AM - 25 March, 2018
Quote:
Hi guys... I’m new to the forum so take it easy on me...5 years ago I bought 2 x PRX618xlf’s, they have served me well...total utter grunt!....about a year ago I acquired a third but couldn’t use it . Stereo matched pigeon pair if you will...2 weeks ago I acquired a near new PRX 718 xlf to my dismay it was peaking all night....the 618’s just pumped along....if you want my opinion JBL took a massive step backward on them...Very disappointed indeed....P

they probably set the 718 to limit input earlier than the 618 to better protect the sub, the light isn't a bad thing unless it stays on solid...the 718 amp seems more powerful than the 618 (1000W vs 1500W)...FYI,the subs that i've seen barely limit are the QSC KW181 and RCF SUB 8003-AS II
Mr.Dj-Jace 1:02 PM - 25 March, 2018
Quote:
Hi guys... I’m new to the forum so take it easy on me...5 years ago I bought 2 x PRX618xlf’s, they have served me well...total utter grunt!....about a year ago I acquired a third but couldn’t use it . Stereo matched pigeon pair if you will...2 weeks ago I acquired a near new PRX 718 xlf to my dismay it was peaking all night....the 618’s just pumped along....if you want my opinion JBL took a massive step backwards on them...Very disappointed indeed....P

Jbl prx618xlf uses Crown amp. For the prx718xlf, jbl built their own amp, so yes, I agree with you that the prx line took a step backwards. The Crown amp performed better. The prx718xlf is still a decent sub though. Gets good low end.
Cj "Tha" Sticman 8:23 PM - 25 March, 2018
I also use the prx718xlf subs and they really dont give any issues . The peak light is fine as long as its flashing . You will have problems if the light stays solid .