Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

I'm buying a Macbook Pro, is the 13" powerful enough?

AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 5:18 PM - 3 June, 2014
I am in the market for a Macbook pro and have been looking at the 13" with i7 2.9ghz and 8gb memory.
Have just realised that its not the same i7 processor as the 15".
Only dual core in the 13".
Can anyone tell me how well the 13" performs with Serato DJ?
Thanks in advance guys.

Amo
JBoogz 6:34 PM - 3 June, 2014
Very well. I love it. Super stable.
pdidy 7:19 PM - 3 June, 2014
It will work great but if you want to do video professionally get the 15".
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 7:39 PM - 3 June, 2014
Quote:
Very well. I love it. Super stable.

Stability is everything, thanks JBoogz
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 7:45 PM - 3 June, 2014
Quote:
It will work great but if you want to do video professionally get the 15".

Not worried about video but I am worried about spending alot of money on a machine that cant cope in 12 months time with future developments to Serato DJ.
My head is saying I should buy a 15" but my wallet is saying 13"
victor_M 1:29 AM - 4 June, 2014
I've bit the bullet and got a 15 inch about a month ago...and never looked back. I know I'll make my money back in a couple parties.

Before this one I had a late 2009 model..she treated me well but she wasn't the spring chicken she used to be.
Joe Fresh 1:47 AM - 4 June, 2014
Any Macbook you buy now will be more than capable of running Serato DJ.
deejdave 2:51 AM - 5 June, 2014
Quote:

As long as it was made within the last 2-3 years this statement is true. Machines 4 yrs. fall into the "usually" work category but anything newer fit into the "almost always" category all by themselves. A category populated by Apple products by themselves LOL j/k.......... but seriously.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 2:55 AM - 5 June, 2014
I use a Macbook Pro 13" and it's running great for me.
pdidy 4:10 AM - 5 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

As long as it was made within the last 2-3 years this statement is true. Machines 4 yrs. fall into the "usually" work category but anything newer fit into the "almost always" category all by themselves. A category populated by Apple products by themselves LOL j/k.......... but seriously.

aaaw dam...lol

media.moddb.com
deejdave 6:42 AM - 5 June, 2014
Haha
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 1:24 PM - 5 June, 2014
I have ordered a 15" off eBay
This one
pages.ebay.com
Wish me luck explaining to the wife why I spent so much!!
Thanks for your input guys, guess I wasn't confident enough to go with the 13 although you all are saying it can cope.

Amo
deejdave 1:41 PM - 5 June, 2014
I HATE to be the one to ask this but I am a little weirded out that at that price it is not 16 GB RAM and a larger SSD. I got my 2.7 ghz i7 (turbo boost to 3.7) with 16 GB RAM and 500 GB RAM for $2000 USD.

Not saying it won't work and I am not trying to bring you down (I promise) I just am a little surprised. The RAM isn't upgradable anymore either so going to 16 GB at a later date is not possible.
deejdave 1:41 PM - 5 June, 2014
I Still wish you luck though LOL. Sorry again just wondering if I am missing something.
Deejay Steve 1:42 PM - 5 June, 2014
I would go with the 15" for one reason alone, scanning tracks in infinitely quicker with a quad core. Dual core will scan 2 tracks at a time, quad core scans 8 + multitasking is better and much quicker & if you decided to play videos then you're sorted. The 13" will do the job, the 15" will walk it :-)
deejdave 1:45 PM - 5 June, 2014
Quote:
Dual core will scan 2 tracks at a time

Dual core scans 4 at a time. You are thinking of Core 2 Duo.
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 2:13 PM - 5 June, 2014
Quote:
I HATE to be the one to ask this but I am a little weirded out that at that price it is not 16 GB RAM and a larger SSD. I got my 2.7 ghz i7 (turbo boost to 3.7) with 16 GB RAM and 500 GB RAM for $2000 USD.

Not saying it won't work and I am not trying to bring you down (I promise) I just am a little surprised. The RAM isn't upgradable anymore either so going to 16 GB at a later date is not possible.

Not in the uk you won't. Its another £200 for one that age with 16gb.
They call it "rip off Britain" you know lol.
A brand new 15" with i7 2.3ghz 16gb and 512 ssd is £2200 which is $3700
I am happy with 8gb but I did not realise you cannot upgrade it. Why is this?
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 2:30 PM - 5 June, 2014
Quote:
I Still wish you luck though LOL. Sorry again just wondering if I am missing something.

Just checked on the US apple store and exactly the same spec as above is $1100 cheaper.
$2599 or £1550 which is what I am paying for a secondhand one.

No need to apologise lol
Thanks for your input.
deejdave 3:57 PM - 5 June, 2014
You are saying it is $1100 cheaper in the US? And Which one LOL? Sorry Just gettin confuse here.
deejdave 4:02 PM - 5 June, 2014
This is the same as yours no? www.ebay.com
deejdave 4:07 PM - 5 June, 2014
Quote:
I am happy with 8gb but I did not realise you cannot upgrade it. Why is this?

The memory is integrated into the chipset. Supposed to make it more accessible (eg quicker). Again do NOT get me wrong with this at all. You should be a proud owner of a MacBook pro and no matter what you payed it will end up paying for itself and is one of the best investments you can make.
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 4:20 PM - 5 June, 2014
$1100 cheaper in USA
over here in UK the same machine is $1100 more expensive.
Hence why second hand are also more expensive.

Quote:
This is the same as yours no? www.ebay.com

Yep pretty much the same but I would have to pay import duty if I bought that.
We are screwed over all ways in UK.

Not taking anything you've said badly mate so no need to worry. Interesting fact about the memory tho I hadn't realised that.
Looking forward to my first macbook and happy with my UK price lol.
Had Same issue when buying my VI 380.
US prices almost half what we have to pay over here.
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 4:24 PM - 5 June, 2014
I will put links up in a bit of the 2 same spec macbook sheet on UK and USA sites. You will see the massive rip off we face on a daily basis
deejdave 4:31 PM - 5 June, 2014
DAMN man that is crazy. I had heard something similar with the DDJ-SZ. I got mine for $1699 USD and I had heard individuals searching high & low for the original $1999 USD over on your end. What's nuts is the highest paid DJ's are from overseas yet their weapons of choice cost more for them than they do for us. YES we may pay less but trust me I'd rather live by you so I don't feel bad at all!!! LOL. Seriously though very lame over here. Mainstream has a whole new meaning here. Like thrown in your face every two seconds............... that's mainstream. So bad that even though it rakes in the cash it is seen as a bad thing to go mainstream LOL.

At least my main point remains though. No matter what you paid it is still the best thing you could have done. Not to mention with such a powerful machine your future proof chances are at its best.
SOUNDWAVES DJ 12:28 AM - 6 June, 2014
you'll be just fine, that mac should do you good for the next 4 years especially if your using it just for Serato DJ. DON'T listen to some of the clowns on here telling you it will be useless in 2 years…. honestly do you see yourself spending $2000. on a mac every 2 years?? that's absurd. I have a Late 2011 15" i7 2.2ghz 8GB DDR3, it's flawless running SDJ, unless you want to do video your mac will last you a while.
pdidy 3:28 AM - 6 June, 2014
My backup macbook pro www.everymac.com 2008 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz with original 2gigs ram can still run all versions of serato with no issue (no video). So 4+ years is quite possible on a mac.
pdidy 3:30 AM - 6 June, 2014
But by no means am I recommending anyone buy one so old for serato. ;)
deejdave 3:43 AM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:
DON'T listen to some of the clowns on here telling you it will be useless in 2 years

I missed that one.............. Who said it will be useless in 2 years?

Matter of fact It seems everyone here was sayng the 13" was good enough let alone the 15".