DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Never heard so many slow songs in the club before.

DJ NoNseNse 11:42 PM - 8 March, 2009
Decided to go out to the bay to check the club scene out there and never heard so many slow tempo songs before. I think the fastest song he played was blow the whistle. Everything was mostly in the 70's and 80's bpm. Is that how it is in the bay now or sumthin? Im so used to 100-130 bpm now.
Kadilac 2:09 AM - 9 March, 2009
It's 70-80 in the south. Mostly 77 bpm.
SiRocket 2:47 AM - 9 March, 2009
the slow tempo is fucking annoying... but yea, waits for the ATL heads to chime in... MIKE JAWNS!
DJMark 3:13 AM - 9 March, 2009
My theory is that average tempo is inversely proportional to the average BMI of the crowd.

That certainly seems to hold true with both my casual observations and the laws of physics...
DJ Special-T 4:25 AM - 9 March, 2009
Quote:
My theory is that average tempo is inversely proportional to the average BMI of the crowd.

Classic!!!U can burn more calories dancing to "Get Low" than "Pop Lock & Drop It." Maybe club djs will start weighing people as they enter and using that info to determine what bpm range to hang around to get the big people to exercise...LOL! Just a thought...
DJ Michael Basic 4:27 AM - 9 March, 2009
I think the cover charge should be based on weight too.
frost-9 6:30 AM - 9 March, 2009
Quote:

That certainly seems to hold true with both my casual observations and the laws of physics...

hilarious and brilliant...
DVDjHardy 6:38 AM - 9 March, 2009
Quote:

Haha...I'd say that for people's IQ as well. :P
Audio1 2:28 PM - 9 March, 2009
What clubs you go to Nonsense? Had you gone to any clubs any of us Bay SSL cats play at (Panic, DANLO, Just, Static, Me), Youd be running the 100-130 range all night.
sixxx 8:44 PM - 9 March, 2009
Quote:
the slow tempo is fucking annoying... but yea, waits for the ATL heads to chime in... MIKE JAWNS!

lol

quote]My theory is that average tempo is inversely proportional to the average BMI of the crowd.

lol

Quote:
I think the cover charge should be based on weight too.

lol supersized
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:54 PM - 9 March, 2009
Quote:

I take offence that you think somehow ATL speaks for all of the south.....and MIKE JAWNS was from houston.
intensify 8:57 PM - 9 March, 2009
yeah what club did you goto?
SiRocket 8:59 PM - 9 March, 2009
don't think they speak for the south, but alot of times, with grill in the mouth, they are mouthing off on the wes wes... /gangster.

With all territories aside, i still think the 77bpm slow crap should stay in the hands of usher and other baby making music that shouldn't be in the club.. But thats my opinion.
DJ JAMES E 9:04 PM - 9 March, 2009
Back in the late 90s early 2000s, even till about 2004, the majority of hip hop was in the 88-106 bpm range. Now it seems as if the majority of hip hop is in the 115-129bpm range.

I have a crate full of early 2000s / late 90s hip hop and only about 5 songs in there are over 115bpm. Also why is there not a lot of hip hop in the 110-114 bpm range? Maybe it's just my tracks that I play but it's hard for me to do transitions in that bpm range because I don't have much good stuff as opposed to the 120-130 range or the 90-105 range.

Anyone else notice this?
sixxx 9:15 PM - 9 March, 2009
Hip Hop over 110? That's usually Hip Pop. :P
SiRocket 9:16 PM - 9 March, 2009
i love the 90 - 105 bpm window myself.... and sixxx has it right on hip-pop.... JUST DANCCCCCE
Audio1 9:40 PM - 9 March, 2009
The wrath of kane is pop?
SiRocket 9:47 PM - 9 March, 2009
boom boom pow!!
sixxx 9:58 PM - 9 March, 2009
Quote:
Not always.
DJ JAMES E 10:03 PM - 9 March, 2009
Well even the majority of "hip pop" of the early 2000s / late 90s seemed to fall in the 90-105 bpm range.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:03 PM - 9 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Not always.

ooooooo a rookie mistake tom, here we see sixxx displaying his legendary crafty mastery of the english language to lure the newcommer into a trap....ya really hate to see this happen at this stage in the game
sixxx 10:28 PM - 9 March, 2009
hahahaha
Joshua Carl 10:46 PM - 9 March, 2009
hahah...

yeah getting from 105-125 used to be an lil bit of a chore.
now that most of us are cross-gerne'ing, using transitions...or just being
lazy and dropping away.

James E hit it right on the head.
I look through my bags and I remember Boombastic was a pain in the ass to play.
basically becuase everything that was popular was 88-106 (with some nice burners at 69/70bpms)

there used to be some distinction, even the most underground of clubs, what stayed on your walkman, or on the radio and what was dropped in the club.
there was a difference....
that whole 73-85 bpms is something Id stay away from on the usual BACK THEN.
DJ NoNseNse 5:12 AM - 10 March, 2009
Quote:
What clubs you go to Nonsense? Had you gone to any clubs any of us Bay SSL cats play at (Panic, DANLO, Just, Static, Me), Youd be running the 100-130 range all night.

This was at club impala on broadway on a thursday night.
DJ Special K 5:50 AM - 10 March, 2009
Yo I live in the south and yes, tempo is slooow these days. I think Houston put the slow bpm on the map with its chopped and screwed music. You can't just blame it on gangsta music because a lot of NWA and EAZY E songs were easily 90 to 110. ATL did not make it any better with its snap dance craze but at least most of Yung Joc's songs were 80 to 83 BPM. Soulja Boy and all of the clones of made up dances kept the bpm at 70 to 75. I have been djaying a while and mainly hip hop and R&B, in the 80's and early 90's the tempo hardly ever dropped below 100 bpm and you could get as high as 127bpm for planet rock type songs and up to 140 for 2 Live Crew and Luke. Gawd I miss those days!!!
djscottyfox 7:43 AM - 11 March, 2009
tall black guy djin? its just a differen vibe on that night... not all clubs are like that in the Bay.. that night caters to a different clientele than these other guys' clubs, and that clientele likes that stuff...
djscottyfox 7:44 AM - 11 March, 2009
Quote:
What clubs you go to Nonsense? Had you gone to any clubs any of us Gay SSL cats play at (Manic, DownLO, Jizz, Sphincter, Me), Youd be running into 100-130 dicks all night.
djscottyfox 7:45 AM - 11 March, 2009
pause.
Caramac 2:09 PM - 11 March, 2009
Not a big fan of fast songs in any genre. Anything past 100bpm is a waste lol.
Jader 3:24 PM - 12 March, 2009
Quote:

thank you professor, i will have to test this hypothesis as sometimes the dancefloor on rare occasions can look quite quite "heavy" at times. having a slow bpm so you are not burning as many calories makes sense and the higher bpms cen definitely lead more into the "dancing as excercise" tip.

i have definitely worn out a heavy crowd early by going 110-120 range too early. they get winded.