Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

(smart) sync between 2 computers

steven wynen 12:11 PM - 17 May, 2014
hi

anyone an idea if it's possible to use sync mode over 2 computers?

I'm looking for a solution to play the whole evening 'back to back' with another DJ.
we would like to use each our own laptop. with each our own library and sample player and so on.

now that sync opened so many opportunities... I would like to use it also between mixing and sampling between the two libraries/computers.

any controller or hardware will do. that doesn't matter, as long as I am able to sync between two computers.
but we prefer to use each our own separate controller.

maybe the new pioneer controller? Pioneer DDJ‑SZ
it has 2 usb ports?

thanks for any tips
greeetz steven
Tommy Deem 2:02 PM - 17 May, 2014
ummm, monitors for u guys and if u know the baics u can do bm by ear and looking friends waveform from serato. So theres no need to sync two software, only need is to sync two people. Done bb many times and its more fun when u actually do things instead of letting the software to do things for u... U know it should still be like Dj's should have some skills instead of autosyncing. IMO
steven wynen 5:32 PM - 17 May, 2014
Quote:
ummm, monitors for u guys and if u know the baics u can do bm by ear and looking friends waveform from serato. So theres no need to sync two software, only need is to sync two people. Done bb many times and its more fun when u actually do things instead of letting the software to do things for u... U know it should still be like Dj's should have some skills instead of autosyncing. IMO

Tommy
thanks for your reaction
but please do not let this threat become a sync (hate) discussion
think there are enough of this type pollution on the forum now...

I started dj-ing in the time that CD's barely where introduced
so telling me to learn my skills is a bit inappropriate!
of course I know how to beat mix without sync!
like I said; sync create opportunities to do things you normally are not able to do with 'manual sync'
I had the same pro and contra discussions 10 years ago when laptops where introduced in the branche... one group reached for it and took the opportunity to do new stuff, when others hated it an must catch up to close the gap that they created in their knowledge and skills

greeetz steven
Perry-D 2:14 PM - 6 July, 2015
I am a auto Sync person myself but would like to learn manual sync ...

The problem I am having with manual sync is that I cant seem to figure out when to speed up or slow down to get in sync.

What is a simple method to fix this

Thanks
Tommy Deem 5:18 PM - 6 July, 2015
Practice, practice and practice :)
Perry-D 6:03 PM - 6 July, 2015
That was no help
I was looking for a rule of thumb or best practice idea ... as a teacher would give to a student
Tommy Deem 11:08 PM - 6 July, 2015
Youtube: beatmatching tutorial
Handikap 3:19 AM - 7 July, 2015
Steven,

I too am looking for this feature. It would be awesome if two instances of SDJ across two computers could be linked via there respective network adaptors (Cat5 or WiFi). Then each SDJ machine could choose to sync to network bpm or internal. Midi devices have used midi time code to sync with each other since the 80's. This idea would really "bridge" the gap between "on the fly" production and dynamic DJ style transport control which we lost when The Bridge became dead with SDJ...

Be sure to post in the feature suggestion thread and I will do the same..
BleedR 9:35 AM - 7 July, 2015
LOL! No one needs this shit! Learn to DJ!!!
Perry-D 4:45 PM - 7 July, 2015
We work smarter these days ... not harder
Technology is the way to go.

DJ is not just about beat matching anymore .. now you need to know music theory ...
The basics should be handled by technology (sync button)
Tommy Deem 4:57 PM - 7 July, 2015
But if u know the theory, and the basics, u dont need sync ;)
Deejay Steve 6:37 PM - 7 July, 2015
I was taught to mix using the same track in both decks, it's much harder to mix like that and if you can perfect that it would become much easier. You would have to feel which side needs to be sped up or down
Perry-D 7:28 PM - 7 July, 2015
Thanks guys
...I think I figured it out
It is most likely that the 2nd track added would be slightly behind the track playing ..therefore you would push / speed up the 2nd track.

As long as you drop it on the one
WarpNote 9:02 PM - 8 July, 2015
@ the OP,
if you wanna sync 2 computers, you will probably need to run ableton instead,
or any other program that supports midi clock in/out...
Handikap 12:49 AM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:
DJ is not just about beat matching anymore .. now you need to know music theory ...
The basics should be handled by technology (sync button)

+1

Quote:
LOL! No one needs this shit! Learn to DJ!!!

You missed my point. I already know the skills needed to DJ. I want to do more.