Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

DDJ-SX no analog record when setting rec to mix only digital is being recorded

patbadboy 11:01 PM - 16 May, 2014
Hi guys. I don't want to sound like a moody git . But I got the ddj -sx and the machine is great . I have analouge inputs on channels 1-2 and only use 3-4 for serato Dj as I can't use my sl3 . I hope I am wrong on this and would appreciate where I am going wrong but am getting the feeling that I am not wrong and will be pissed yet again . But please point me straight . Hopefully

On record on serato Dj with my ddj sx all I am trying to do is record my set . I.e the phono connection on the ssx are channels 1-2 these are in the middle and channels 3-4 are are are where 1-2 would be This is not seratos fault on this part . More pioneer appart from this the machine is the dogs bollocks haha

Now correct me if I am wrong if you set rec on serato to record mix . This would be recording the mix you do through the ddj sx digital or analouge ? . Now if it only records the digital parts what's the point calling this rec mix when it's only record serato digital only ? Analogue is not catered for ?

I have got over not being able to use my sl3 for vinyl control along side the ddj sx analogue only . And the midi controls when released is missing basic left deck and right deck load and scroll . I have a Allen and Heath DB4 with midi function yet I need a mouse to scroll and select which deck to load to so can't have full midi control like I have with the ddj sx appart from only needing the mouse for SP6 sampler functions this is not a problem I can live with that

I did say I would move to tractor but the lay out is shit and serato is the one . But sort out these bits that should have been sorted before release .

Your software is quality but your lack of these standard functions that are important for DJs that will rely on your products that are standard with my sl3 and scratch live and you want to merge the 2 systems together I.e phase out scratch live and only have serato Dj is fine as long as it's not missing theses basic parts in order for me to rely on your software

I hold apple in high regard as they build everything properly and held you guys in the same place . But you are losing my respect in the silly parts yet excel in new ideas

I don't want to moan over all this . But This should not be something I should be moaning about . Creativity your guys excel . Maybe you need to have a few guys that only work on operating system only. so loyal seratro scratch users that you want to shift to serato Dj don't have these standard obstacles stopping us from doing are thing . With your kit

Apple have innovation but also concentrate on operating system
Serato have innovation . Stable platform . Yet silly overlooked parts that are essential and were there before so should never have been over looked and left out of serato Dj when they are in scratch live .

Please fix the issues that should have been there as standard and there will be no more moaning

Patbadboy aka DJ Woo-Hah
DJ Angel Suave Ortiz 2:16 AM - 22 May, 2014
Yeah makes no sense - the mic does not record either. My solution has been to use Audacity or something similar to record rather than Serato DJ.
Mark Quest 5:02 AM - 22 May, 2014
the analog audio doesn't route through the software (no A-D converters) hence why you are unable to record just using Serato's software.

Best solution? buy a cheap 30-quid sound card & record the output of that as a digital track in Ableton or (free) Audacity.

Thats the ONLY way you'll be able to record everything going through your DDJ-SX, plus it will be digital & will let you easily edit incase you stuff up the last mix of an epic 90-min set of flawless mixing!

Hope it helps ;)
DJ Angel Suave Ortiz 5:25 PM - 24 May, 2014
Quote:
the analog audio doesn't route through the software (no A-D converters) hence why you are unable to record just using Serato's software.

Best solution? buy a cheap 30-quid sound card & record the output of that as a digital track in Ableton or (free) Audacity.

Thats the ONLY way you'll be able to record everything going through your DDJ-SX, plus it will be digital & will let you easily edit incase you stuff up the last mix of an epic 90-min set of flawless mixing!

Hope it helps ;)

You are correct sir but there is no need to connect an additional sound card the ddi sx already has a sound card and audacity and other software will detect it and record any audio going thru the mixer analog or digital. I guess what my concern really is how is serato dj is not enabled to do this. We should just be able to hit record via serato and it should record any audio routing through mixer. Especially since this controller is native to serato.
irieproductions 3:50 PM - 25 May, 2014
the signal is just pass thru, how can the software record something that it cannot see? The amount of effort and coding that they would have to make this possible is not worth the effort if you can just plug an RCA cable from your booth output and feed it back into your line in of your laptop and record from audacity.

If you want superior ultra duper quality then you'd have to feed from your booth output to a higher end external soundcard.
patbadboy 12:22 PM - 27 May, 2014
Thanks guys

Sorry I took so long to get back . I got the hump and threw me toys out the pram

DJ_Angel_Suave_Ortiz. Mark_Quest. Thanks for the all information . Big respect to you guys ;)

The DDJ-SX is the dogs bollocks appart from I can't use my SL3 for the vinyl inputs ;( Arghh pain . But only scratch on vinyl now as I find mixing with CD type control platters is a breeze and saves wearing out the needles playing music . Scratching only

I'll keep the SL3 . For my Allen and Heath db4 with 1210s and another pain with serarto DJ compared to scratch live is it's missing half the midi functions . That's in scratch live and on the DDJ-SX I.e the scroll / back button and left right deck load . Hopefully they will sort this soon .

But serato should have just said midi functions are not available until it's actually ready . Instead of leaving theses main functions out . So scratch live will do for now as I am getting arm ache using the mouse haha

Good luck guys in your quest for greatness

From the great white hype ;)

The DDJ-SX is quality and serato scratch is good .
DJ Angel Suave Ortiz 9:41 PM - 19 August, 2014
**UPDATE - SDJ 1.7 now provides Mic Recording on the DDJ-SX. Thank you Serato! As far as @ irieproductions and @ Mark Quest who commented above. I knew it was possible to say its impossible due to hardware limitations was just wacky tech talk.