DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

XP or VISTA for ScratchLive

njshadowboxer 1:02 AM - 6 March, 2009
Serato. Vista or XP ?!?!
Just bought a new Dell Inspiron.

-Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor (2.16ghz)
-4gb Memory
-250gb HD.
-Vista Home Premium (64 bit)

Now could I leave vista in and run that? Or should I install XP? Again this is for newest update of serato.
OakLawnDJ 1:05 AM - 6 March, 2009
XP. Vista is a memory hog and you want as much RAM available for Serato as possible.

But ultimately, either OS can work (lots of people are running Vista with SSL now), I just think XP is still superior and probably will be until Windows 7 replaces Vista for good.
njshadowboxer 1:06 AM - 6 March, 2009
well im gonna be taking like everything i can outta vista. this is strictly just for my music and serato. thats it
Phooka 1:15 AM - 6 March, 2009
XP. Vista is horrible. Trust!
njshadowboxer 1:21 AM - 6 March, 2009
alright i guess im gonna go back to XP then.
njshadowboxer 1:57 AM - 6 March, 2009
am i gonna have a problem with putting XP on this computer? For example all the drivers and such?
pb 2:03 AM - 6 March, 2009
God luck. I've heard that Vista cannot be replaced with XP, but I dont know for sure. I have 2 vista pc's an xp pc, and a mac, but only run SSL on the mac. Vista runs Pro-tools and Soundforge flawlessly. Please keep us posted, I'm interested to know if you can even load the XP OS onto a Vista machine.
pb 2:17 AM - 6 March, 2009
meant to say Good Luck
njshadowboxer 2:28 AM - 6 March, 2009
im gonna stick with the Vista and try to install it all now. I heard that i wont find all my drivers if i put in XP.
pb 2:33 AM - 6 March, 2009
coool bro, let us know how it works for u
Laz219 2:51 AM - 6 March, 2009
You can have issues putting XP on, it depends on your machine. With those specs anyway you should be fine with vista. I run vista on my laptop but have it really optimised so the OS is using next to nothing (besides vista's constant 700mb ram usage)
njshadowboxer 2:52 AM - 6 March, 2009
so i should be good right? cause i aint gonna use that comp. for internet or anything just serato.
Laz219 3:18 AM - 6 March, 2009
I have never had an issue with vista and find it a hell of a lot more stable and easy to use than vista. With serato it works perfect. I'm on my way out now but i'll leave you a few tips for getting vista running better when I get back.
njshadowboxer 3:19 AM - 6 March, 2009
thanks man. appreciate it
OakLawnDJ 3:32 AM - 6 March, 2009
It's not hard to find XP drivers for any machine - my brother installed XP on his Vista machine and there are several members here who have done it.
njshadowboxer 2:27 PM - 7 March, 2009
Vista is the biggest piece of ****. I cleaned it up, and deleted like everything that i wouldnt use and serato still just doesnt run right for some reason.
ekwipt 2:38 PM - 7 March, 2009
I don't think vista is as bad as everyone is saying, but if you can install xp, Serato basically doesn't need much to run, definately doesn't need all of the aero etc.
njshadowboxer 3:35 PM - 7 March, 2009
its weird on vista when i play the song in serato without the hardware hooked up its like goes super fast it looks like and the waves look disformed
Maskrider 4:24 PM - 7 March, 2009
use both
njshadowboxer 5:22 PM - 7 March, 2009
why would i use both?