Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

BPM Display in Transition Tracks

djmacklong 5:39 PM - 10 May, 2014
First off, I'm only posting this in the Rane help section because that's what I primarily use. This is not a Rane specific issue...not that I'm sure it should even necessarily be considered an "issue".

I recently realized that you can use the red grid markers (I don't know the technical term for them -- it's when you hit X in grid edit mode) to create a new starting point mid track to adjust the bpm grid after that point, so in transition tracks you could essentially have two bpms per track. This is GREAT.

Now here is my issue: I prefer the bpm that's listed in the bpm column to reflect the *starting* bpm, but if I grid out my transition tracks like I've outlined above, it automatically reflects the ending, which causes the tracks to be placed out of order. Is there anything I can do to change this?

Thanks.
djmacklong 6:08 PM - 10 May, 2014
Ehhh looking thru some of these again, some are showing the starting bpm, and some are showing the ending bpm. Any idea how SDJ determines which?
Serato, Support
Matt P 6:10 PM - 13 May, 2014
Hi djmacklong ,

This is a good point and something we want to understand better.
Serato determines the main BPM for the majority of the track. So if there is more of the track before the transition then the BPM value for that first part will be displayed. If after the transition there is more of the track, then the bpm value will be related to that part of the song.
Would you like to be able to choose? How do you think this should work? Or should it always be at the start?

I'm going to move this to feature suggestions area to get more peoples input.. cool?

Matt P
6:11 PM, 13 May 2014
Discussion moved to Serato DJ Feature Suggestions
djmacklong 7:24 PM - 13 May, 2014
Yes, I'd definitely like to be able to designate SDJ to read the starting BPM all the time. To me, this makes the most sense...especially when you find yourself scrolling thru tracks, trying to find something that fits best with I'm currently playing.

I'm sure others would prefer the opposite. I just think we should have the option to designate our preference.
The Despicable Nyan Cat 8:09 PM - 13 May, 2014
Quote:
Yes, I'd definitely like to be able to designate SDJ to read the starting BPM all the time. To me, this makes the most sense...especially when you find yourself scrolling thru tracks, trying to find something that fits best with I'm currently playing.

I'm sure others would prefer the opposite. I just think we should have the option to designate our preference.

+1
Mike Czech 6:23 PM - 4 April, 2015
Being able to pick which BPM the tracks are sorted by is a must. Having just spent a while getting my grids tight, and then going back and realizing most of them are in the wrong spot by starting BPM is a nightmare.

+1
DJKMD25 7:27 PM - 4 April, 2015
Quote:

+1
porps 1:46 PM - 8 July, 2016
Hey.. sorry to necro a thread but this had been something troubling me for awhile and i thought if i suggested a workaround it might help some people who are having similar troubles...

so here is the workaround - Grid your transition songs in serato ITCH rather than serato DJ. It appears that itch chooses to display the bpm which is most prominent in a track rather than just the last bpm like DJ does. So if you have a track that has 3mins at 120bpm then 2 mins at 100, ITCH will display the bpm as 120.

This wont work for all tracks.. If the song has 2 mins at 120bpm then 3 mins at 100 it will still display as 100bpm since that is the most prominent bpm, but it can at least help with some tracks.

When you go back into DJ it will be displayed the way you saved it on ITCH.

Once again, sorry if the thread necro bothers anyone.
Serato, Support
Matt P 5:35 PM - 8 July, 2016
Hey Porps,

SDJ works this same way -

Quote:
It appears that itch chooses to display the bpm which is most prominent in a track

There is no difference between the softwares as far as which BPM is displayed.

The greatest BPM value of a track is shown in the BPM column.
The BPM in the Virtual deck will show any fluctuations
Mike Czech 7:33 PM - 8 July, 2016
Quote:
Hey Porps,

SDJ works this same way -

Quote:
It appears that itch chooses to display the bpm which is most prominent in a track

There is no difference between the softwares as far as which BPM is displayed.

The greatest BPM value of a track is shown in the BPM column.
The BPM in the Virtual deck will show any fluctuations

This behavior isn't particularly useful. There should at least be an option to have the starting BPM value shown. When sorting tracks by BPM, having a transition-BPM song out of order is very confusing.
DJ Ravien 9:21 PM - 8 July, 2016
T
Quote:
This behavior isn't particularly useful. There should at least be an option to have the starting BPM value shown. When sorting tracks by BPM, having a transition-BPM song out of order is very confusing.

+1

This is why I love MIK, It places the key and BPM into the comment section and I just sort by that. If it tags it incorrectly or not how I want I can always change it and it won't affect the actual BPM serato is seeing. I can also add additional info such as tran-110 and so on.

However it would be nice to have the BPM display which ever I choose, without changing the actual BPM in the track. Especially with the upcoming feature of being able to sort by two fields. Perhaps a secondary BPM column that doesn't reflect the actual BPM but what the user chooses would be a way of doing this.

A good work around for the time being would be to dedicate a field that isn't that important such as remixer,composer etc and adding your BPM you want to sort by in that column.
Res-Q 3:26 AM - 9 July, 2016
Hi Matt,
I am in favor of a change in the way the bpm is displayed in the library view too.
I want the bpm showed to be the starting BPM. So if a song starts at 100 and changes to 128 after 64 bars for the rest of the song, I want the bpm to show 100 in the library (when i sort it by bpms)

similar to this request serato.com
Serato, Support
Matt P 7:15 PM - 11 July, 2016
Greetings Res-Q, Mike Czech,

Makes perfect sense to me. I use transition tracks myself and have this same dilemma. I'm hoping we see this implemented at some point too.

Regards
acemc 8:43 PM - 3 August, 2016
+1
The starting bpm should be displayed, coz that's the portion of the track we will be mixing.
DJ LA-Z 9:07 PM - 13 October, 2017
+∞
This should have never been an issue in the first place. A developer made an executive decision without understanding the use case and nobody stopped them or caught it during development or alpha testing.